PDA

View Full Version : Blazers: Trail Blazers blow a big lead twice — but stay hot with entertaining win over Lakers

tlongII
12-02-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2013/12/trail_blazers_blow_a_big_lead_twice_but_remain_hot .html

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2013/12/trail-blazers-lakers-basketball-d5188a472e7db1d8.jpg
Portland Trail Blazers center Robin Lopez, left, puts up a shot as Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol, of Spain, defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013

LOS ANGELES — As the victories continue to pile up, as the standings continue to reflect the unexpected, as the Trail Blazers continue to forge ahead as the NBA’s early-season darling, the narrative is changing.

Opposing teams are no longer entering a game against the Blazers with a ho-hum demeanor, poised to pummel a pushover. The vibe of, “Oh, this team is off to a nice little start,” is evolving into, “Oh, this team is pretty darn good.”

“We’re getting team’s best shots,” Blazers shooting guard Wesley Matthews said. “People are getting up to play us now and we’re demanding team’s best and we have to have ours at all times. We’re not a cool team. Some teams are cool teams. We don’t have cool players. We have dogs. And we have to play like that at all times.”

The dogs flashed a little bite Sunday night in Los Angeles, where, despite blowing two sizeable leads, the Blazers won yet again, defeating the Los Angeles Lakers 114-108 before a sellout crowd of 18,997 at the Staples Center.

The entertaining victory moved the Blazers (14-3) into a first-place tie with the San Antonio Spurs (14-3) in the Western Conference. It’s only 17 games into a long season, but every win reinforces the idea that this scrappy, fun-to-watch Blazers team might be for real. And the best news for Blazers fans? They remain a work in progress, unsatisfied with their play.

“I think we’re a good team, but I think we have room to grow,” coach Terry Stotts said. “We’re still a little inconsistent. But I think that’s part of our process. I like the fact that we find a way to win games, whether it be on the offensive end, or defensive end.”

Sunday’s victory against the Kobe Bryant-less Lakers (9-9) was another imperfect one that required late-game spunk, multiple clutch plays down the stretch and backbone. The Blazers led by as many as 17 points in the first half and by as many as 20 points heading into the fourth quarter, but allowed the Lakers to slither back each time.

After a near-perfect third-quarter performance — the Blazers scored a season-high 41 points, made 17 of 24 shots and recorded 11 assists — they nearly imploded in the fourth. The Lakers held them scoreless until LaMarcus Aldridge made 1 of 2 free throws with 6:06 left, and they didn’t record their first field goal until Mo Williams made a 13-foot jumper with 5:31 remaining.

The dry spell opened the door for the Lakers and they took full advantage, edging to within one point twice in the final 3:40 and to within three points, at 109-106, with 40 seconds left.

But despite themselves, the Blazers made enough clutch plays down the stretch to escape with a wild win.

Leading 101-100 and facing a shot clock with just six seconds left, the Blazers exited a timeout and perfectly executed the play Stotts had drawn up in the huddle, as Lillard swished an open three near the corner. A couple possessions later, Matthews swiped a steal from Jodie Meeks, sprinted the other direction, and the result was a pair of free throws and a 106-100 lead. Matthews, who played with a tender left hip, also nailed a clutch three in the corner with 1:20 left to give the Blazers a 109-102 lead with 1:20 to play.

But perhaps the best and most clutch Blazers play of all came with 18.6 seconds left, when Lillard made one of the best defensive plays of his career. Out of a timeout, Lillard chased Meeks through a wall of screens — a “gate” — toward the baseline and then followed him back toward the perimeter, where Meeks collected a pass and launched a three. The Blazers were leading 112-108 when the ball left Meeks' fingertips.

But Lillard, who had watched the Lakers run the exact play before the game during a scouting session on his iPad, hounded Meeks from start to finish, emphatically blocking the shot at the top of the key — and effectively ending the Lakers’ comeback bid.

“I stayed on his hip pretty good and got through and then it was pretty much just one-on-one after that,” Lillard said. “Time was running out, so he needed to get a shot up. I know he’s a shooter. He rose up with guys in his face a few times early in the game, and once he picked the ball up, I sat on it and I was able to block it.”

The block put an exclamation point on a solid night for Lillard, who finished with 26 points, nine assists and five rebounds. Aldridge, who was a force from beginning to end, had 27 points and nine rebounds, Matthews added 17 points and three steals and Nicolas Batum came close to his fourth career triple-double, finishing with nine points, nine rebounds and nine assists.

It was enough to overcome a dazzling performance from Xavier Henry, who made 9 of 12 shots and recorded 27 points and five rebounds.

And, even though it offered more proof that the Blazers lack the killer instinct to put teams away and win comfortably, it continued their feel-good early-season run, nonetheless.

“We’re just giving the fans their money’s worth,” said Blazers center Robin Lopez, who had 12 points and 12 rebounds. “Anytime you pull out a gritty win like that in an opposing building, that’s always a positive. You’ve got to be happy with that.”

Notes: Matthews hip pain is in the same hip that caused him significant trouble last season, forcing him to miss time for the first time in his career. He said he tweaked it during practice on Friday, but said it was different than the injured he suffered last season and downplayed it. ... He made three three-pointers against the Lakers and the first was his 500th in a Blazers uniform. ... The Blazers improved to 8-2 on the road. ... The Lakers' bench, which leads the NBA in scoring, registered 60 points against the Blazers.

Killakobe81
12-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Props tlong a good young squad you have IF, BIG If yall can stay healthy.

lefty
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Solid thread imo; will recommend to Lakersground

spurraider21
12-02-2013, 12:54 PM
i think we're all well aware of where to find game recaps imo

Cry Havoc
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Blazers D is legit - - I love the principle of the ICE defensive scheme. It'll be interesting to see if teams figure out a way to beat it come playoff time.

AchillesHeel
12-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Blazers D is legit - - I love the principle of the ICE defensive scheme. It'll be interesting to see if teams figure out a way to beat it come playoff time.

Of course they will.