PDA

View Full Version : Has an NBA team ever won a ship starting a guy that can't dribble the ball?

hater
12-02-2013, 08:26 PM
what's the fucking point of even trying, when your starting SG cannot dribble a fucking basketball?

this is on Pop imo. You lock that mofo in the gym and let him dribble till he learns, or send him to the Toros and have him handle the ball. or you trade his overrated ass. wtf?

jestersmash
12-02-2013, 08:32 PM
I thought this was a dig at Leonard at first tbh :lol

jestersmash
12-02-2013, 08:32 PM
To clarify Leonard's handles aren't bad per se but they aren't spectacular either.

hater
12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
damn that's a good point but Leonard at least CAN dribble in an empty gym. and has been improving slightly.

this guy Green is the most incompetent dribbler I've ever seen.

jestersmash
12-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Very true, Leonard has shown a welcome improvement with his dribbling at least.

Green on the other hand... :rollin

PlayNando
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
It's nice that we have only one starter that is a good dribbler. I don't know how you win with that, tbh, but we came close last year.

Skull-1
12-02-2013, 09:36 PM
what's the fucking point of even trying, when your starting SG cannot dribble a fucking basketball?

wtf?

My exact thoughts last year watching Manu stumble and stagger like a drunk during the first few games in The Finals.

ElNono
12-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Well, we won a bunch with Bowen... so the answer would be yes.

Chomag
12-02-2013, 09:40 PM

True that but bare in mind Green is no Bowen

ElNono
12-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Sure. I just don't know who would win a dribbling competition between them, tbh...

Chomag
12-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Sure. I just don't know who would win a dribbling competition between them, tbh...

My money would be on the ball :lol

hater
12-02-2013, 09:47 PM

FAIL

6KTa6TTzOa4

ElNono
12-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Gregg Popovich says Bruce Bowen ‘couldn’t dribble and couldn’t pass’

From Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles:

Gregg Popovich had a pretty good zinger for Mr. Bowtie when a reporter compared Kawhi Leonard to Bruce Bowen …

Reporter: “He’s kind of different than Bowen …”

Popovich: “He’s a lot better than Bruce Bowen. Bruce Bowen couldn’t dribble and couldn’t pass. He shot 3s in the corner and he played good D, he played great D. So we want Kawhi to match Bruce’s great D first and foremost, but after that he’s a much better offensive player.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/02/gregg-popovich-says-bruce-bowen-couldnt-dribble-and-couldnt-pass/

hater
12-02-2013, 10:03 PM
:rolleyes using Pop's sarcasm to prove a theory already disproven by video evidence :rolleyes

ElNono
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
sarcasm? you're arguing with Pop now...

hater
12-02-2013, 10:15 PM
no need. the video evidence already won

ElNono
12-02-2013, 10:16 PM
okay

ElNono
12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
My money would be on the ball :lol

tbh, they're both probably better than Rasho at dribbling :lol

KaiRMD1
12-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I honestly thought he'd try and improve on that aspect over the off season. But nope......

cd021
12-02-2013, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes using Pop's sarcasm to prove a theory already disproven by video evidence :rolleyes

Bowen actually mentioned during the Finals Pop said (during a half time after being down big to detroit) that at he was the worst on the team in that regard. He said that he looked to Budenholzer and was told "you really do suck".

cd021
12-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Leonard can't shoot 3's anymore Green can't dribble. Still 15-3.

Marrow
12-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Leonard can't shoot 3's anymore Green can't dribble. Still 15-3.

can't complain with that start...but somehow we find a way

Calispursfan11
12-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Tbh Bowen was a forward, not a SG.

ElNono
12-02-2013, 11:28 PM

tbh, the thread title reads "starting a guy"...

Calispursfan11
12-02-2013, 11:31 PM
tbh, the thread title reads "starting a guy"...

True, I can think of a lot of teams who won with centers who couldn't dribble for shit. Shaq couldn't dribble the ball, not that well at least. Luc Longley and Bill Wennington etc. List goes on and on. Was just going by the first post that mentioned SG. Otherwise, the answer is an obvious yes.

crc21209
12-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Well, they WERE 28 secs away from winning a title with Green starting at SG, so yes it can happen. Plus this team is deeper than last year with Diaw 2.0 and Belinelli...

vander
12-02-2013, 11:38 PM
no need. the video evidence already won

there were about 3 dribbles by Bowen in that video

Kidd K
12-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Green is paid and expected to shoot threes and play defense, not dribble around and make plays. Yeah he should be better at it, but no we don't need him to be.

Try remembering how he shat all over the Miami Heat in the Finals last year, breaking records and even being considered for Finals MVP in a non joking way through the first 5 games. Not bad for a roleplayer who can't dribble a basketball.

Cry Havoc
12-03-2013, 12:23 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/592643/ben_20wallace_20rebound.jpg

PlayNando
12-03-2013, 12:36 AM
tbh, they're both probably better than Rasho at dribbling :lol
Rasho was a center, though, tbh. It was okay.

cd021
12-03-2013, 12:44 AM

The difference between SG and SF are generally minimal. SFs are usually bigger and play more off ball but they still play on the wing. Dribbling the ball is something they should at least know how to do.

Darkwaters
12-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Has an NBA team ever won a ship starting a guy that can't dribble the ball?

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/bw(8).jpg

Chinook
12-03-2013, 01:32 AM

Yeah, Green's a much better shooter.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Yes, Parish with the Celtics. Wallace with the Pistons. Bowen/Nzar/Elson with the Spurs.

And those Bowen highlights looks exactly the way Green plays. Green can dribble around a guy who charges him at the 3 pt line and make a layup or dunk. I have seen him do this dozens of time. But Green can't take someone directly off the dribble. Green plays well in the Spurs system and that is all he has to do at this point.

daslicer
12-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Besides the PG position most teams only have a few guys who are above average ball handlers. OKC has Westbrook,Durant. The Clippers have CP3 and Crawford. The Warriors have Stephen Curry, Iguodala. The Pacers have Hill and Paul George. You are rarely going to find a team that has more than 2 guys who have great handles. If Green had great handles he would be an all-star player but that could be applied to a majority of players in this league . My point is you are wishing and hoping for Green to be more than what he is.

Skull-1
12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Say what you want about Bowen. We haven't won a thing since he left. Championship, ship, or boat.

Cry Havoc
12-03-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/bw(8).jpg

Jerk.

Prime Time
12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Shaq couldn't dribble the ball, not that well at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GwjNWJHYg0 3:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9-Hhd5Lzg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP8ovIxPwsA
That sad, sad moment where Shaq is a better ball-handler than Green.
(Sorry for the links, not sure how to embed them on ST)

hater
12-03-2013, 04:05 PM
truth ^

it's pretty pathetic that homies have to bring up Centers and HOF defenders to make Green look somewhat less pathetic :lol

EVAY
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Green will or has cost us a championship, but it is absolutely true that I cringe every time he tries to put the ball on the floor.

Let's face it guys, this is another example of how the system makes some role players look immensely better than they would in a different system, or playing one on one. Catch and shoot guys look terrific in a system where the point guard is taking it upon himself to drive into the paint where all the bigs live and forcing them to pay attention to him. Making shots in that situation, as Parker does (third season in a row leading all pgs with points in the paint) all the time, really frees up the perimeter shooters to catch and shoot.

As more teams figure out how to defend us (our system hasn't changed in the last 6 years at least), our approach becomes more and more defensible, meaning that our perimeter guys who have made a living looking good off of our pg's penetrations need to be able to dribble occasionally and get their own shot. When that happens, their shortcomings, whether it is Kawhi or Danny, are exposed.

hater
12-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Green will or has cost us a championship, but it is absolutely true that I cringe every time he tries to put the ball on the floor.

Let's face it guys, this is another example of how the system makes some role players look immensely better than they would in a different system, or playing one on one. Catch and shoot guys look terrific in a system where the point guard is taking it upon himself to drive into the paint where all the bigs live and forcing them to pay attention to him. Making shots in that situation, as Parker does (third season in a row leading all pgs with points in the paint) all the time, really frees up the perimeter shooters to catch and shoot.

As more teams figure out how to defend us (our system hasn't changed in the last 6 years at least), our approach becomes more and more defensible, meaning that our perimeter guys who have made a living looking good off of our pg's penetrations need to be able to dribble occasionally and get their own shot. When that happens, their shortcomings, whether it is Kawhi or Danny, are exposed.

excellent points :tu

It's true this season we have shed Neal who was another catch and shoot 1 trick pony, replaced him with Bellinelli who can put the ball on the floor at will. Also Diaw has been putting the ball on the floor a lot more this season and he's pretty good at it. The main conundrum now is, should we be giving Green the minutes and starting job he's earned? or should we realize we have a Ferrari on the bench that should be taking most his minutes and starting?

the problem with putting the Ferrari on the starting lineup is that you end up with Turnobili of 2013 again :(

so that's the choice:
- start the inept dribbler and leave the Ferrari on the bench
vs.
- start the Ferrari and face the return of Turnobili

my opinion? I think we need a trade fellas

HarlemHeat37
12-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Your opinions are usually terrible, to be fair:lol..

And Neal is a catch and shoot player and Beli isn't?:lol..86% of Beli's points have been assisted this season..

Teams are going to adjust to the Spurs' system?:lol..why would everything change all of a sudden?..

hater
12-03-2013, 05:50 PM
And Neal is a catch and shoot player and Beli isn't?:lol..86% of Beli's points have been assisted this season..

Belli has put the ball on the floor successfully more times in 2 months than Neal in 2 years. :rolleyes

Your opinions are usually terrible, to be fair:lol..

get back to work fluffy, Lebron's cock is going flaccid :lmao

Hoops Czar
12-03-2013, 06:20 PM

this is on Pop imo. You lock that mofo in the gym and let him dribble till he learns, or send him to the Toros and have him handle the ball. or you trade his overrated ass. wtf?

Oberto couldn't dribble a basketball either.

rascal
12-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Bowen couldn't dribble.

DJR210
12-03-2013, 08:12 PM

And Bowen was no SG. A guard should be able to dribble.

hater
12-04-2013, 04:20 PM
by guy I meant guard fellas

although the jury is still out whether Danny is better dribbler than Oberto, Rasho + Bowen.

hater
04-24-2014, 01:42 PM