PDA

View Full Version : Boris Diaw Interview: "I now get it"

Bruno
12-04-2013, 07:14 AM
An interview with Boris in today's french newspaper "l'équipe" about his new aggressiveness:

You're scoring more and shooting twice more than in the past season. What has changed?
I could have done more in the playoffs last year. I could have helped more by being more aggressive. I played few minutes (17 mpg). This season, I want to be more useful.

To lose that closely while you haven't won a title since 2003 in France (he haswon the Eurobasket since that), was it a factor for this change?
It's true it was but it's deeper than that. I would have liked to do more the whole season and showed that I deserved to be on the court. With Spurs, it's needed that I take more shots, that I'm aggressive and that I take my responsibilities. Since I came here in 2012, Gregg Popovich told me to took open shots. I now get it.

You had the same attitude with France this summer. Tony Parker told that this new aggressiveness has changed the face of the team.
I just felt that I had to go on the offensive because we had less scoring options than in the past. To have won nothing since 2003 has also made me think at it. Winning titles is what we live for.

During your career, we have heard you more having team-first talks...
Aside of with Atlanta or Charlotte, where I had some coaches that never understood my game, being a team-first player never cost me playing time! However, with Spurs last year, it gave me a playing time close to 0. When I shoot, I want to be over 50%.

A lot of your coaches blamed you of not shooting enough...
It's true I'm aggressive this season but I'm not scoring more than in Phoenix (13.3 ppg in 05-06) or in Charlotte (15.1 ppg in 08-09). Everywhere I went, I've been used as a playmaker, I could play 30 minutes and only take 2 shots. With Spurs, in a system, where I'm not here to do that (1.8 apg, career low), if I'm not shooting, I'm not playing.

You are also in a contract year. Is your efficiency also a way to showcase yourself ?
Not really. Last year, I could have still opt out of my contract to work a new one. Saying that, It's sure that having good stats will help negotiations.

Had you played with the same level of aggressiveness your whole career, you could have become a superstar...
I don't care about that! I'm not playing basketball for that. I was in the headlines shortly with Phoenix during the playoffs (24.2 ppg in the WCF agaisnt Dallas in 2006). Amar'e Stoudemire was injured. When he came back, I took back my role. With San Antonio, Being a superstar is Tony, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili job. I have another role to play.

siraulo23
12-04-2013, 07:22 AM

will_spurs
12-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Boris is truly one of a kind.

boutons_deux
12-04-2013, 07:33 AM
smart guy, a credit to the Spurs org. He's bounced around a lot, now flourishing a key role player.

Brazil
12-04-2013, 08:16 AM
thanks Bruno

TampaDude
12-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Boris will ring next spring.

TheChillFactor
12-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I really love him. Not entirely sure why but I do.

fleggy2k2
12-04-2013, 10:06 AM
:tu i'm loving that Cream Shake move of his

TXstbobcat
12-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you Bruno.

12-04-2013, 10:30 AM
One of my favorite spurs. :toast

urunobili
12-04-2013, 10:58 AM
pauv' bichon

freetiago
12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
people need to stop asking him about why hes so aggressive now all the time tbh..
I can tell it just makes him angry/annoyed and he could revert back to being a beta

Budkin
12-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Bobo 2.0

look_at_g_shred
12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
The Spurs will do everything in their power to keep Boris, and which they should. I don't think there is a better place for the guy to flourish. Boris has become as important an asset as the big 3 to the Spurs. We'd take a huge hit not to have him on the team.

ceperez
12-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Diaw is key to winning it all.

If there was anyone to blame last year, I would blame him for not being aggressive enough!

Spursfanfromafar
12-04-2013, 01:13 PM
I have always liked Diaw even during his passive days. He is a very unique player and always adds something good to the court when he is on it. He is an atypical "Spur". Hopefully he continues being aggressive and even takes his 3 shots when possible. A very all-round player.

phxspurfan
12-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Cool quotes. Good to have guys like this with skill and wits on the team.

SpurSwag
12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Really want him to retire as a spur tbh I can't stress enough how much I love his game

jestersmash
12-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Where is he getting this idea that his playing time was "close to 0" when he was being passive?

spurs10
12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Merci Bruno and Boris! Boris is playing with an urgency. So glad for their Eurobasketball championship!

jestersmash
12-04-2013, 01:42 PM
people need to stop asking him about why hes so aggressive now all the time tbh..
I can tell it just makes him angry/annoyed and he could revert back to being a beta

+1000 Jeff McDonald is the absolute worst offender when it comes to this.

Danny Green on a hot 3 point shooting streak?

Jeff: "So Danny aren't you glad that you caught fire at the right time the Spurs only won by 2 but you're 6-8 from 3 really helped them pull out the win that must feel great right!"

Danny lip service: "Yeah definitely it feels good but for me it always starts on the defensive end and pop always preaches defense... blah blah defense .... blah blah"

What Danny is really thinking: "Oh shit do...do they need me to shoot that well from 3? I always thought my 3 point shooting was a bonus"

Next game: Danny Green 3-12 from the field, 1-7 from 3 point land.

It never fucking fails. Whenever an impressionable member of the spurs is playing out of his mind Jeff McDonald will go out of his way to bring attention to it such that it puts pressure on the player during subsequent games. And it's just Jeff. Mike understands that Danny hates having his 3 point shooting highlighted and as a result never emphasizes it. Jeff on the other hand has the emotional I.Q. of a walnut.

Baam
12-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Where is he getting this idea that his playing time was "close to 0" when he was being passive?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/diawbo01/gamelog/2013/?mobile_long=false#pgl_basic_playoffs::none

Even got a Dnp in the Finals... Funny how the Spurs won every single game where he played about 20min except for game 6 where he was still +1...

Pop the tosb better question himself as much as Boris did... He was incredible in the Golden state comeback and got 7min the next game... Mind-boggling stuff...

elemento
12-04-2013, 02:20 PM
About to be 32 y/o in a contract year. Yeah, that's about time to get it.

Baam
12-04-2013, 02:34 PM
About to be 32 y/o in a contract year. Yeah, that's about time to get it.

He's not playing for the money anymore... The contract year talk is stupid, he made way more money before signing with the Spurs...

romain.star
12-04-2013, 03:20 PM
One of my all time fav. Smartest French player by far

elemento
12-04-2013, 03:43 PM
He's not playing for the money anymore... The contract year talk is stupid, he made way more money before signing with the Spurs...

BS.

The only stupid thing here is believing that Boris is playing like that only because he wants to help the Spurs and that it has nothing to do with his contract year.

What he made before coming to the Spurs has nothing to do with the money he will eventually get in his last fat contract.

Being a contender definitely helps, but so does the money.

DAF86
12-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Boris should have played more these past finals.

Baam
12-04-2013, 04:00 PM
BS.

The only stupid thing here is believing that Boris is playing like that only because he wants to help the Spurs and that it has nothing to do with his contract year.

What he made before coming to the Spurs has nothing to do with the money he will eventually get in his last fat contract.

Being a contender definitely helps, but so does the money.

Like he said in the interview he could have opted out since he had a player option so basically it's his third contract year in row genius...

elemento
12-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Like he said in the interview he could have opted out since he had a player option so basically it's his third contract year in row genius...

Yeah and who would have paid him more than the 4.7m that the Spurs are paying him now genius ?

He gets a full MLE offer last season and he is a former Spur now. Please, don't be naive with all this "Boris doesn't care about the money anymore" crap.

He is playing well and that's great for him and SA. It's a joy to watch Diaw playing more aggressively because he has always been talented. But don't say that he doesn't care about the money because it is pure BS.

will_spurs
12-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah and who would have paid him more than the 4.7m that the Spurs are paying him now genius ?

He gets a full MLE offer last season and he is a former Spur now. Please, don't be naive with all this "Boris doesn't care about the money anymore" crap.

He is playing well and that's great for him and SA. It's a joy to watch Diaw playing more aggressively because he has always been talented. But don't say that he doesn't care about the money because it is pure BS.

Let's look at the facts:
- he asked Charlotte to be released and picked the Spurs over all the other teams interested in him
- he cut his salary in half to play for the Spurs
- he picked his player option for this season although being paid less than $5m

What more do you want him to do? Play for free?

I'm sure he cares about the money, who doesn't? But he certainly doesn't seem to care about it nearly as much as the average NBA player.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-04-2013, 04:31 PM
hey remember when pop benched him after he ignited that 8-0 run in the 3rd Q of game 7?

elemento
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Let's look at the facts:
- he asked Charlotte to be released and picked the Spurs over all the other teams interested in him
- he cut his salary in half to play for the Spurs
- he picked his player option for this season although being paid less than $5m

What more do you want him to do? Play for free?

I'm sure he cares about the money, who doesn't? But he certainly doesn't seem to care about it nearly as much as the average NBA player.

That's not accurate. That was pretty much his market value at the time. Nobody offered him more than the 2y/9m contract that the Spurs gave him. He was not worth 9m/year at the time.

He didn't cut any salary to play for SA. SA paid him what was fair at the time. He has never done any favors to SA playing here. I actually think that he was lucky to have such a great franchise behind him after the Bobcats failure.

You guys act like he is doing favors to SA by signing here. That's not the case.

Again, I simply believe that all this "Boris doesn't care about the money" talk is BS. Feel free to disagree but that's how I feel.

Baam
12-04-2013, 05:02 PM
^ you have your head so far up your ass tbh...

Several teams wanted him when he got his buy out, some could give him more... He pulled an AK47 basically. So he gave up money from his Charlotte contract and then extra money from other teams...

And then took the same money a rookie Splitter was getting... If you think that was his market value after his PO run (he started) I don't know what to say...

Mugen
12-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Boris should have played more these past finals.

Yep. A very overlooked Pop blunder tbh.

elemento
12-04-2013, 05:39 PM
^ you have your head so far up your ass tbh...

Several teams wanted him when he got his buy out, some could give him more... He pulled an AK47 basically. So he gave up money from his Charlotte contract and then extra money from other teams...

And then took the same money a rookie Splitter was getting... If you think that was his market value after his PO run (he started) I don't know what to say...

So mad for nothing :lol

Not even sure why.

People usually get mad so easily when they have no arguments or when they're flat out dumb. In your case, I'd say it's both.

Boris didn't pull an AK. They were very different cases, but I won't be the one explaining it to you because you're kind of slow and I would be losing my time.

Thanks anyway :smokin

jARS mEsH sEt
12-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Yep. A very overlooked Pop blunder tbh.

It's not that much of a blunder. Pop managed to lead us to being up 5 in a championship elimination game with ~30 seconds left. All he asked for was a single free throw made by leonard or manu, or a defensive rebound but the players failed on all 3 counts. I'd say overall Pop did a pretty good job.

I know people are furious at Duncan being taken out but I don't know why. Duncan has always been taken out in those situations, and only once has it led to a game changing offensive rebound for the opposing team.

r0drig0lac
12-04-2013, 05:49 PM
"Being a superstar is tony, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili job. I have another role to play" ...sensational

Chinook
12-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Not even sure why.

People usually get mad so easily when they have no arguments or when they're flat out dumb. In your case, I'd say it's both.

Boris didn't pull an AK. They were very different cases, but I won't be the one explaining it to you because you're kind of slow and I would be losing my time.

'Sup, elemento? I don't see you around the NFL Forum much anymore. Ravens fans gotta represent more.

I don't think people realize how bad Charlotte Dias was. Had he not gone for the buyout, he's probably on a min deal right now if now out of the league. Going to the Spurs was definitely the smart financial move for him.

elemento
12-04-2013, 07:58 PM
'Sup, elemento? I don't see you around the NFL Forum much anymore. Ravens fans gotta represent more.

I don't think people realize how bad Charlotte Dias was. Had he not gone for the buyout, he's probably on a min deal right now if now out of the league. Going to the Spurs was definitely the smart financial move for him.

Sup Chino. Yeah, I need to spend some time over there (NFL forum). Sadly, I don't even have much time for the SA forum anymore. Too much work here in Brazil.

About Boris :

I really don't understand all this discount talk seriously. The Bobcats tried to trade him, but couldn't get ANYTHING in return for his expiring. He had massive weight problems at the time.

When Diaw arranged the buyout with CHA, most part of the 9m contract was already paid. He gave the Bobcats a little discount in order to sign with a contender. Not a single contender would have given him more than a min contract. He was not worth more than that at the time.

When he got the 2y/9m contract, that was an absolutely fair deal. There weren't any teams lining up to sign him, especially with his weight problems.

I have nothing against Boris and the better he plays, the better SA gets. As a fan, I am happy with his aggressiveness. But, SA got no favors from him. Going to SA was the best move he could have made.

Mel_13
12-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Not even sure why.

:rollin

xmas1997
12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Excellent find, Bruno, well done!

tim_duncan_fan
12-04-2013, 09:55 PM
You gotta love a person that truly knows himself. Some talented guys have leadership/super-star mantles forced on them when they aren't built for it (Carmelo Anthony) but Boris has probably known all along that he just wants to be a good piece on a winning team and there is great honor and respect to be had in realizing that and playing that part. It's why I like Jamal Crawford. Dude knows that he just wants to come off the bench, get buckets and go home.

skulls138
12-04-2013, 10:21 PM
BS.

Being a contender definitely helps, but so does the money.I believe it is more losing the Finals than anything. I can imagine last year he was passive because he was trying to fit in. This year though, I think he realizes that he's too talented to be so passive. Wasnt it Boris's threes at the end of game six that almost won it for us?

As for it being his contract year, yeah, I can see that being a motivator too

Bruno
12-04-2013, 11:48 PM
While I don't think Diaw gave some kind of discount to Spurs, I also don't think the main reason why he is playing like that this year is because it's a contract year for him. 2011-2012 was also a contract year since he was was at the end of his $45M/5 years contract and it's in this season that he was in the worst shape of his career. 2012-2013 was also a contract year for him since he had a player option for 2013-2014 in his contract and he didn't shoot the ball that year.

The contract year effect wasn't specially a motivation for Diaw in 2011-2012 and in 2012-2013. It seems unlikely that it suddenly has become one this season.

KaiRMD1
12-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Needed more Boris in the playoffs. He guarded the shit out of Lebron.

racm
12-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Kinda hope we give this guy a ring or two. Feels like he's the successor to Big Shot Rob.

Baam
12-05-2013, 06:28 AM

That because he wasn't that bad except for the last year where things got really tense with Silas... Bottom line not it's his 3rd contract year in a row and he would have gotten way more had he opted out.

weebo
12-05-2013, 08:23 AM
It's nice to know that after so many years of getting paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game Boris finally "gets it."

weebo
12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
I believe it is more losing the Finals than anything. I can imagine last year he was passive because he was trying to fit in. This year though, I think he realizes that he's too talented to be so passive. Wasnt it Boris's threes at the end of game six that almost won it for us?

As for it being his contract year, yeah, I can see that being a motivator too

It's probably just guilt. He saw what losing the Finals meant to Tim and the rest of the Spurs. Deep down Boris knows he can be an all-star caliber player but he's aloofness when on the court throughout the season last year may have cost the Spurs a championship.

Chinook
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
That because he wasn't that bad except for the last year where things got really tense with Silas... Bottom line not it's his 3rd contract year in a row and he would have gotten way more had he opted out.

Who do you think would have gone over the MLE for him? I can't see anyone because Dias is like Green in that he's only really valuable to a contender. As far as other teams are concerned, only Charlotte and Atlanta spent big money on free-agent bigs last summer, and neither of them would have wanted Dias back. Maybe Detroit? Doubt it, though.

Baam
12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Who do you think would have gone over the MLE for him? I can't see anyone because Dias is like Green in that he's only really valuable to a contender. As far as other teams are concerned, only Charlotte and Atlanta spent big money on free-agent bigs last summer, and neither of them would have wanted Dias back. Maybe Detroit? Doubt it, though.

Cavs, Wolves, Bucks for sure... All 3 thought they were PO bound... Morey would also die to get him, the 4 is their one area of weakness and Boris would make DH look better than he is on offense.

I. Hustle
12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I really love him. Not entirely sure why but I do.

Maybe it's because of all the ghey buttsecks he gives you.

Chinook
12-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Cavs, Wolves, Bucks for sure... All 3 thought they were PO bound... Morey would also die to get him, the 4 is their one area of weakness and Boris would make DH look better than he is on offense.

Cavs signed Bynum and already have way too many power-forwards on the roster. Wolves only had the MLE due to Pek or would have needed to trade for him like they did with Martin. They have Love though, and Cunningham. They desperately needed a two-guard. Bucks suck, but even so, they have Sanders, Henson and Ilyasova. They may have given him Zaza's money, but that was barely a raise. Houston didn't have the money to sign him without first moving Asik.

Remember, Dias is getting paid just under the league average, but he's making well over the league median income. He's not making peanuts here.

Chinook
12-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Double post.

Baam
12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
The Cavs signed Bynum at the end of he summer because they had so much capspace to blow, they could have signed him easily... The Wolves could have easily signed him as well, they bid against themselves for Pek and then ended up trading for another combo forward...

But really there's no need to go that much in the details, his value is clearly superior to his contract, it's in the same range as Bonner ffs...

Not sure why some people want it to be untrue so badly, maybe to make the FO look better than it is... When he got his buy out every contender wanted him and I believe the Celtics had more to offer than the min. When you know how well they did that year with their shitty frontline, Boris not only sacrificed money but maybe even a ring... Then he signed a Bonner like deal but somehow that was his market value...

Boris took less just like Beli... He also said he made the decision not to opt out in order to stay with the Spurs...

Btw it's so stupid that players sacrificing money to make the team stronger like Beli, Boris, TP, Timmy have to carry the guys who are paid at market value or higher like T-Vag the situational defender...

Baam
12-05-2013, 05:00 PM
It's probably just guilt. He saw what losing the Finals meant to Tim and the rest of the Spurs. Deep down Boris knows he can be an all-star caliber player but he's aloofness when on the court throughout the season last year may have cost the Spurs a championship.

He can't be an all star caliber player anymore, he has declined a lot physically especially with his back problems.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
"I now get that I have one more contract and I'd better play well for it". I like the aggressive Boris, but he only plays hard when it suits him.

spurso
12-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Wow, Boris is becoming my next Horry. I don't mean in his style of play but the role he plays. I loved Horry as that great role player and miss him and Bowen in that role. Now, somebody like Boris steps up and I am feeling good about how that will play out. Spurs seem to be above average at getting quality basketball players who are also quality people.

DPG21920
12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I for one think it's a crappy argument. I don't personally give a crap if he's playing better because he wants to win or because he wants to get paid. His aggression is good for the team and that's all I care about. He's not stat whoring to up his pay check to the detriment of the team so who cares the reasoning behind it?

hater
12-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Parker lead us to being up 5 in a championship elimination game with ~30 seconds left. All he asked for was a single free throw made by leonard or manu, or a defensive rebound but the players failed on all 3 counts.

Fixed it for ya

ForeignFan
12-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Speaking of Boris, he just offered a really nice watch to all his teammates from the French national team. Nice.

http://www.sportetstyle.fr/mode/montres/a,742,boris-diaw-joue-au-pere-noel.html (looks a little like a piece of advertising for the manufacturer...)

rmt
12-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Diaw needs to take all the wide open shots that OKC was giving him instead of driving into the crowded paint.

cd021
01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Last 5 games (including tonight)

27 mpg

58% FG (30-51)

15.5 PPG

91%3pt (10-11)

Baam
01-29-2014, 12:17 AM
Trade him to OKc so that they have a legit LeBron defender tbh... His talent is wasted here...

DMC
01-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Trade him to OKc so that they have a legit LeBron defender tbh... His talent is wasted here...

So is yours.

Brazil
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
Boris truly got the message 8/9/9 tonite

best spurs with Kawi of this finals tbh

Mugen
06-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I love that jiggly mf'er tbh.

Brazil
06-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Amazing season and POs

now we count on him for a last win

timtonymanu
06-12-2014, 10:49 PM
So frustrating when he is passive, but goddamn I love him when he's 2.0.

Brazil
06-12-2014, 10:52 PM
So frustrating when he is passive, but goddamn I love him when he's 2.0.

He is smelling blood, he wants a ring no way he will come back at Boris 1.0

Pentagruel
06-12-2014, 10:56 PM
He's become my favorite player on the Spurs. He's got such a versatile game, it's amazing to watch. Can't believe the Spurs got him for nothing. He was amazing in Phoenix and in Charlotte under Larry Brown. Really hop he stays with the Spurs a while to come.

timtonymanu
02-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Hopefully he'll get it again in April. :cry

Shastafarian
02-11-2015, 11:49 PM
That was not difficult.

02-11-2015, 11:54 PM
About to be 32 y/o in a contract year. Yeah, that's about time to get it.good call

wildchild
02-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Sadly Boris' contract make him virtually untradable, but it would be easier to trade a rookie contract like Kawhi's contract.

We should trade Kawhi and get some PF to help Boris, Matt/Ayres guy. After all, SF is such a stacked position here, a lot of good SF on this team.

Uriel
02-12-2015, 02:58 AM
He seems to have forgotten it.

Ice009
02-12-2015, 08:06 AM
He doesn't get shit.

He's come into camp out of shape and overweight. No fucking dedication to the game or his teammates.

exstatic
02-12-2015, 08:18 AM
Sadly Boris' contract make him virtually untradable, but it would be easier to trade a rookie contract like Kawhi's contract.

We should trade Kawhi and get some PF to help Boris, Matt/Ayres guy. After all, SF is such a stacked position here, a lot of good SF on this team.

Boris's contract is VERY tradeable. The last two years are non-guaranteed.

scanry
02-13-2015, 04:26 AM
Boris's contract is VERY tradeable. The last two years are non-guaranteed.

I think only the last year is not guaranteed.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-13-2015, 04:37 AM
He's pulling a Robert Horry, not worried about him, he'll show up in the playoffs.

elemento
02-13-2015, 04:44 AM
I think only the last year is not guaranteed.

3rd year is only 3m guaranteed.

elemento
02-13-2015, 04:46 AM
good call

At least the FO knew it too. 3rd year only 3m guaranteed and 4th year not guaranteed. I doubt that he completes the full 4-year contract.

He could still play well in the playoffs though, "a la Horry".

BillMc
02-13-2015, 07:24 AM
Not to pile on Boris as he is one of my favorite players, but I was watching Game 6 against OKC from last year last night, and then some Finals highlights. Boris was noticeably thinner then. He's got to be 15 pounds or more heavier this year. :depressed

romain.star
02-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Not to pile on Boris as he is one of my favorite players, but I was watching Game 6 against OKC from last year last night, and then some Finals highlights. Boris was noticeably thinner then. He's got to be 15 pounds or more heavier this year. :depressed

Bobo's weight is an on-going roller coaster

exstatic
02-13-2015, 08:22 AM
At least the FO knew it too. 3rd year only 3m guaranteed and 4th year not guaranteed. I doubt that he completes the full 4-year contract.

He could still play well in the playoffs though, "a la Horry".

Yup. PATFO knew what he was about. His shooting has just fallen off a cliff. That seems very regular season "Horry" and not weight related.

Ice009
02-13-2015, 09:25 AM

I've been saying this for the last month or so. I've thought since the start of the season that he's heavier than he was last season. I didn't expect him to come into camp overweight and still be overweight at the halfway point of the season. At worst he should have come into camp with the same weight as last season. He's disrespected his teammates and himself by doing this. I really think that he could have helped the team much more when we had those injuries earlier in the season if he was is better shape. I would have been satisfied if he came into camp at the same weight he was at towards the end of last season. I didn't expect him to come into camp all ripped up or anything, but at the very least he could have put forth the effort to come into camp at a similar playing weight to what he was at last season.

He's not Shaq where he could use half the season to get into shape. He's nowhere near as dominant as Shaq to be able to do something like that. Also, those seasons where Shaq slacked off during the off-season didn't turn out to well for him. All you guys that are comparing him to Robert Horry, what are you basing that on? I don't recall Horry coming into camp in mediocre shape like Boris did.

I also think the weight is affecting his shooting. It doesn't seem like he's shooting it in one motion. It looks to me like his shooting is mostly arms. He's not getting any lift and it seems like his body isn't balanced when going through his shooting motion.

Mel_13
02-13-2015, 09:54 AM
I've been saying this for the last month or so. I've thought since the start of the season that he's heavier than he was last season. I didn't expect him to come into camp overweight and still be overweight at the halfway point of the season. At worst he should have come into camp with the same weight as last season. He's disrespected his teammates and himself by doing this.

That's why the Spurs were able to get him to sign such a team friendly contract. The rest of league remembers fat, lazy Boris in Charlotte and wasn't going to trust him with the sort of money that his playoff run might otherwise had earned him.

rmt
02-13-2015, 10:55 AM
When I watch veterans like Horry, Diaw and even Parker and how disinterested they are in the regular season, it just makes me appreciate Duncan even more. Even rs games, he competes so hard and gets upset at himself when he messes up - guess that's why he one of the greatest ever.

T Park
02-13-2015, 03:17 PM
J
+1000 Jeff McDonald is the absolute worst offender when it comes to this.

Danny Green on a hot 3 point shooting streak?

Jeff: "So Danny aren't you glad that you caught fire at the right time the Spurs only won by 2 but you're 6-8 from 3 really helped them pull out the win that must feel great right!"

Danny lip service: "Yeah definitely it feels good but for me it always starts on the defensive end and pop always preaches defense... blah blah defense .... blah blah"

What Danny is really thinking: "Oh shit do...do they need me to shoot that well from 3? I always thought my 3 point shooting was a bonus"

Next game: Danny Green 3-12 from the field, 1-7 from 3 point land.

It never fucking fails. Whenever an impressionable member of the spurs is playing out of his mind Jeff McDonald will go out of his way to bring attention to it such that it puts pressure on the player during subsequent games. And it's just Jeff. Mike understands that Danny hates having his 3 point shooting highlighted and as a result never emphasizes it. Jeff on the other hand has the emotional I.Q. of a walnut.

Lmao missed this paragraph of pointless drivel the first time.

What a crock of shit

T Park
02-13-2015, 03:18 PM
When I watch veterans like Horry, Diaw and even Parker and how disinterested they are in the regular season, it just makes me appreciate Duncan even more. Even rs games, he competes so hard and gets upset at himself when he messes up - guess that's why he one of the greatest ever.

duncan will take his share of nights off mentally.

T Park
02-13-2015, 03:22 PM
What's funny about everyone saying he's fatter now than last year, I sit with his friends and family at the games and they say all he literally keeps on hand at home is. Water and coffee. Everything else is bare. So who knows.

dabom
02-13-2015, 03:35 PM
What's funny about everyone saying he's fatter now than last year, I sit with his friends and family at the games and they say all he literally keeps on hand at home is. Water and coffee. Everything else is bare. So who knows.

So.. he eats out a lot?

BillMc
02-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Maybe his metabolism is slowing down. He's about at the right age for it.