PDA

View Full Version : Iraq. New Government to have Islam structure?

JoeChalupa
07-28-2005, 08:18 PM
No, I don't have the links but I was watching Tucker Carlson and he was mentioning that Iraq's new Government and Laws will be based on Islam and no laws may go against Islamic law.

So is this good? I mean I know we didn't go over there because of WMD or because of an "immediate threat", blah, blah...but in fact we went there so that we would establish a permanent prescense in the middle east.

But we've spent all this money, lost lives and now they are going to establish a governement based on the very laws that this administration is totally against?

WTF is up with that? Now I know we can't say, "Hey, we liberated you so you have to have OUR kind of government", but it doesn't look like the master plan, not that there ever was one, is working too well.

Hey, I'm glad that the Iraqi people are free but will the women of Iraq really gain much? Although anything has to be better than Saddam.

Just wondering. Need to go add to the blog.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Well what did you expect? If you establish a democracy, then the people will determine what kind of structure and laws they will live by. Iraqui culture has been influenced by the Islamic religion for so long that its part of who they are. You didn't really think they would establish the same kind of structure and laws as in the states, did you? It has nothing to do with what the US administration wants ("he naively proclaims" LOL), if it did, then it would seize to be a democracy.

JoeChalupa
07-28-2005, 09:06 PM
No, but I know there are some who thought and want Iraq to be the kind of democracy that the US wants and this just isn't going to be the case.

Tucker asked "Should the US use it's clout to ask that the new government NOT be based on Islamic law?". Gordon Liddy shut him up quick and said, "NO! What kind of message would we be sending if we liberate them and give them "freedom" is we then turn around and tell them how to elect their own leaders?".

I guess I just don't think is the result Bush was hoping for. We'll be working with a Government that will already be at odds with some of our policies.

scott
07-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Maybe after we leave Iraq, we can re-enter and try to establish "the right kind" of democracy in the region.

:lol

It's ironic really. If it's the government they democratically chose... then that's that. It seems like this Tucker guy is probably blowing things out of proportion though.

MannyIsGod
07-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Theres a reason the United States doesn't support democracy in that region. Do you want to deal with a Bin Laden elected president of Saudi Arabia?

The sooner we get out of there, the better. I still think Iraq is a one way ticket to a civil war.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-28-2005, 10:55 PM
You can't tell them how to run their country, or we're no better than Saddam.

Plus, letting them go this way gives them more legitimacy and shuts up the asshole insurgent types.

BTW, Turkey is a democracy with its laws rooted in Islam. Not saying that Iraq will end up a true western style democracy, but the parliament/president model seems to be working in Turkey.

whottt
07-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Uh where have you guys been? This was known even before the elections...

There was thought to putting pressure on them for Western Style Democracy and there was also thought of subverting the election to a more Westernized Candidate...Bush nixed the idea.

The funny thing is...everyone keeps saying we need to leave Iraq...well the current leader of Iraq was one of the main people wanting us to leave...and he keeps saying on a daily basis he wants us to leave....but he doesn't want us to leave yet or else he will be overthrown. Basically his daily rant is: Leave America...oh but wait until we can defend ourselves against the Sunnis...

Right now they can't even protect foreign diplomats...

Anyway...I don't know what news you guys were reading but it always expected that there would be elements of a theocracy in the new Iraqi government...

Near as I can tell it is going to have popularly elected officials but their law will be based on Islamic Law(Not Sharia, but a much more moderate form) but citizens will have the right to choose the religion they are tried for crimes under and stoning and shit isn't going to be allowed...

The real key here is womens rights...this is the biggest negative with the constitution they are trying to draft now...they are not wanting to give women equal rights. That is a key to the eradication of terrorism...

But anyway...the terrorists are attacking the moderate muslims now...and they are discovering that they don't like it anymore than we do.

Meanwhile...the US remains ready to leave....Rumsfield is even prodding them to stop screwing around and taking so much time drafting the constitution...

Will all the people who claimed we were there to colonize and set up a puppet government apologize? I doubt it...they'll just find something else to bitch and by cynical about, even though they were wrong, again.

Nbadan
07-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Meanwhile...the US remains ready to leave....Rumsfield is even prodding them to stop screwing around and taking so much time drafting the constitution...

Will all the people who claimed we were there to colonize and set up a puppet government apologize? I doubt it...they'll just find something else to bitch and by cynical about, even though they were wrong, again.

:rolleyes

Oh please, this is purely a symbolic gesture and election year manuever to help prop up sagging Republican poll numbers just in time for the 06 mid-term elections. The U.S. may symbolically pull out 25,000 troops, but the other troops and the thousands of 'security personnel' (mercenaries) still in Iraq aren't going anywhere for a long time.

The situation in Iraq today most closely resembles the movie Fort Apache the Bronx – with a majority of troops protected behind the security walls of the green zone and insurgents multiplying faster than they can be captured or killed outside of the walls.

Nbadan
07-29-2005, 03:34 AM
No, but I know there are some who thought and want Iraq to be the kind of democracy that the US wants and this just isn't going to be the case.

Tucker asked "Should the US use it's clout to ask that the new government NOT be based on Islamic law?". Gordon Liddy shut him up quick and said, "NO! What kind of message would we be sending if we liberate them and give them "freedom" is we then turn around and tell them how to elect their own leaders?".

I guess I just don't think is the result Bush was hoping for. We'll be working with a Government that will already be at odds with some of our policies.

Hey Joe, you want the real story behind the current political climate in Iraq, and it's growing Islamic influence you've got to read Juan Cole's latest article in Salon - The Iraq War is Over and The Winner Is...................................Iran. (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/07/21/iran/index_np.html)

smeagol
07-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Irak is another 3rd World shithole. Lets nuke it back to the stoneage. If they are not with us, they are against us.

JoeChalupa
07-29-2005, 07:50 AM
I understand what you are saying Whott.

I've known this shit was going to happen too but it's crazy.

Something tells me we are going to be fighting the same government again.

Clandestino
07-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey Joe, you want the real story behind the current political climate in Iraq, and it's growing Islamic influence you've got to read Juan Cole's latest article in Salon - The Iraq War is Over and The Winner Is...................................Iran. (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/07/21/iran/index_np.html)

:lmao "the real story" :lmao