PDA

View Full Version : This is ridiculous

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/07/27/game.lawsuit.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- A woman upset that she bought the video game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" for her 14-year-old grandson without knowing it contained hidden, sexually explicit scenes sued the manufacturer Wednesday on behalf of consumers nationwide.

Florence Cohen, 85, of New York, said in the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan that the game's manufacturer, Rockstar Games, and its parent company, New York-based Take Two Interactive Software Inc., engaged in false, misleading and deceptive practices.

She sought unspecified damages on behalf of herself and all consumers nationwide, saying the company should give up its profits from the game for what amounted to false advertising, consumer deception and unfair business practices.

Cohen said in the suit that she bought the game in late 2004 for her grandson when it was rated "M" for mature, for players 17 and older. According to the suit, she directed that it be taken away from her grandson, which was done.

The game was released in October with an "M" rating. After a storm of negative publicity about the hidden scenes, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board, an industry group responsible for rating games, changed the rating to "AO" for adults only.

Laurence D. Paskowitz, the lawyer who filed the lawsuit on behalf of Cohen, said no parent would knowingly buy an adult-only video game for their children.

"They should really make sure this doesn't happen again," he said. "The least this company can do is offer refunds."

Hidden areas in video games that can be unlocked with special codes or modifications are not uncommon.

Take Two Interactive initially said the scenes were not part of the retail version of the game but later admitted they were.

A message left for a company spokesman was not immediately returned. On Tuesday, Take-Two announced that it had been notified by the Federal Trade Commission's Division of Advertising Practices that it was conducting an inquiry into the game's advertising claims.

The company said it planned to cooperate fully with the probe.

"Rockstar Games and Take Two Interactive regret that consumers may have been exposed to content that was not intended to be accessible in the playable version of 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas'," it said in a statement.

The company said it had halted production of the game in the controversial form and was working on a version of the game without the hidden sexual content.

"Going forward, the company will refine the process by which it edits games and will enhance the protection of its game code to prevent such future modifications," it said.

Earlier this week, the House voted 355-21 for a resolution asking the FTC to investigate the company. Last week, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, asked the FTC to investigate Rockstar, saying the company had "gamed the ratings system" by concealing sex scenes in the game that can be unlocked by computer programs available on the Internet.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp., Best Buy Co. and Circuit City Stores Inc. have pulled the game -- last year's top-seller among console games -- from their shelves following the rating change.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2005, 09:19 PM
If that fucking ingrate gets any money then its yet another reason I'm going to leave this stupid country

That stupid bitch knew what the game was, its called Grand Theft Auto for gods sake, if she was so into her 14 year old waste of space's life, then she'd realize all taht game is about is killing cops and running over people in stolen cars, things that are more morally wrong than watching a naked woman....

GoldToe
07-28-2005, 09:20 PM
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/karate_kid.jpg
"Okay to lose to game...must not lose to fear!"

Jelly
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Isn't that the one where the object of the game is to pick up a prostitute and murder her? If that's true, than a little consensual sex has got to be one of this game's more respectable aspects.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-28-2005, 09:34 PM
http://joeruiz47.blogspot.com/2005/07/personal-responsibility-surrenders.html

http://www.universitystar.com/current/article.php?aid=690

Ginofan
07-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Okay, if she KNEW it was rated M for Mature (17 and older) then why was she buying it in the first place for her 14 year old grandson???

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Okay, if she KNEW it was rated M for Mature (17 and older) then why was she buying it in the first place for her 14 year old grandson???

Because people are ignorant when it comes to that stuff, she probably doesn't know it's impossible to unlock that in console versions.

midgetonadonkey
07-28-2005, 10:02 PM
I went to a midnight release of this game back in October and I couldn't believe how many parents were waiting there with there to buy their 8 year old kids this game. I think older people, 35 and older, have no idea that this game is so violent and sexual in nature. They probably still think video games are as innocent as pac-man and galaga.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-28-2005, 10:38 PM
I went to a midnight release of this game back in October and I couldn't believe how many parents were waiting there with there to buy their 8 year old kids this game. I think older people, 35 and older, have no idea that this game is so violent and sexual in nature. They probably still think video games are as innocent as pac-man and galaga.

Quite simply, then they're fucking idiots.

In one panel, there are three clearly displayed guns being used in a drive-by shooting. In the one to its direct right, there is a man holding a gun and in the top left panel is a man with an automatic gun. I also see references to gambling, a police helicopter and a woman licking her lips in a suggestive fashion.

Spam
07-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Parents need to be parents and stop trying to be their friends.
Buy your kid a book.

mouse
07-28-2005, 10:43 PM
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/karate_kid.jpg
"Okay to lose to game...must not lose to fear!"

Hey Gold Toe? put a sock in it.

Trooper 2112
07-28-2005, 10:47 PM
I havent seen any other games w/ the AO rating. Is this the first 1? Im pretty sure it's not tho (for xbox, ps).

GoldToe
07-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Gold Toe? put a sock in it.

Shut your trap!

scott
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
By your kid a book.

Or buy them a book.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

SpursWoman
07-28-2005, 10:58 PM

You haven't lived until you've heard your 9 year old daughter scream at her 8 year old brother:

"Run over the hooker!!" and "Jack the cop car!!"

:fro

Spam
07-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Or buy them a book.

:oops

Guru of Nothing
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Why can't we all get along?

Bunch of polarizers!

T Park
07-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Buy your kid a book.

AMEN!!!

Trainwreck2100
07-29-2005, 01:13 AM
I havent seen any other games w/ the AO rating. Is this the first 1? Im pretty sure it's not tho (for xbox, ps).

There are a bunch for pc, but this is the first wide release AO console game.

mouse
07-29-2005, 01:13 AM
AMEN!!!

^ :lmao

sorry brah but you don't strike me as the church going type.

AFE7FATMAN
07-29-2005, 01:26 AM
^^^^rack

mouse
07-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Or buy them a book.

^ :lmao

Slomo
07-29-2005, 02:06 AM
You haven't lived until you've heard your 9 year old daughter scream at her 8 year old brother:

That's horrible... but :lmao

NZHayden
07-29-2005, 08:02 AM
only in america

Clandestino
07-29-2005, 08:27 AM

funniest shit!... but why are they playing the game? my 20 year old cousin played that game non-stop.. drove me fucking nuts... he lived with me for a short time, so i'd make him turn it off and watch fox news for a while.

SpursWoman
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
That's horrible... but :lmao

I believe that was GTA3, I had never heard of it before and had no idea that the game was that bad and wasn't paying that much attention (obviously), aside from the fact that I really like the soundtrack (which up until then was all I heard). I figured the stealing cars part, but not all of that other stuff. But that really threw me for a loop.

It was one of those moments where you know you have to do the "right thing" and lay the hammer down, but you're desperately fighting laughing your ass off.

Maybe that makes me a candidate for Bad Mother O'The Year, but that was pretty damn funny. My only relief was that when I asked, neither one of them knew what a hooker was...just that that's what she was. :oops :lol

Ginofan
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Australia Outlaws 'Grand Theft Auto' (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/australia_video_game_sex;_ylt=AlIru8N5IAwGFPC6o_Ri M54DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Fri Jul 29, 6:59 AM ET

SYDNEY, Australia - Australian officials effectively banned the computer game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" and ordered it removed from stores Friday because it contains hidden sex scenes that can be viewed with a special Internet download.

The Office of Film and Literature Classification said in a statement it had outlawed sales of the game by stripping it of its official classification after learning of the explicit content.

"Revocation of a classification means the computer game cannot be legally sold, hired, advertised or exhibited in Australia from the date the decision is made," the statement said.

"Businesses that sell or hire computer games should remove existing stocks of this game from their shelves immediately," said Des Clark, director of the government-funded classification board.

The game involves a main character seeking bloody vengeance on gang-filled streets, firing automatic weapons and picking up women along the way.

After downloading and installing a modification to the game — one of many "mods" available on Web sites maintained by video game enthusiasts — a new world opens up in which the girlfriends appear nude and engage in explicit sex acts, according to the modification's author.

The classification board in October 2004 gave the game a MA15+ rating, meaning it could be sold only to people aged over age 15, and warned that it contained "medium level animated violence, medium level coarse language."

On Friday, Clark advised parents to be on the alert for their children accessing the explicit scenes.

"Parents are strongly advised to exercise caution in allowing children continued access to the game," he said — particularly if they have access to the Internet modification.

Damn, is it really THAT bad?!

SpursWoman
07-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Damn, is it really THAT bad?!

We have it, and yes....it is that bad. :lol :wow

bigzak25
07-29-2005, 11:13 AM
graphic violence okay. :tu

pixel animated recreated sex. outrage.

sad. :(

it's just like the soutpark where the kids were playing with weapons but the parents got pissed cuz cartman walked the stage naked...:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-29-2005, 11:16 AM
graphic violence okay. :tu

pixel animated recreated sex. outrage.

sad. :(

it's just like the soutpark where the kids were playing with weapons but the parents got pissed cuz cartman walked the stage naked...:lol

Preachin' to the choir, man!

Killing hookers isn’t that bad.

Neither is stealing a cop car, performing drive-bys on rival gang members or making multimillion-dollar drug deals.

In the world of Grand Theft Auto, all these actions “may be suitable for persons age 17 and older,” but introduce digitized, pixilated and badly acted hardcore sex acts and everybody has a fit.

In the pursuit of both journalistic ethics and the chance to find something to laugh at, members of The University Star staff and editorial board observed a 1 1/2-minute video clip of the so-called “Hot Coffee” mini-game in which GTA: San Andreas’ main character C.J. and his girlfriend engage in oral sex and multiple positions of intercourse.

While we believe the Entertainment Software Ratings Board’s change in rating from “Mature” to “Adults Only” is warranted based on the descriptors of rating content, we also believe that this incident is once again a loud call to the parents of video-game players to finally take personal responsibility in what they purchase instead of relying on and asking the government, video-game publishers and retailers to perform the duties of content police.

It is noteworthy that the legal age of consent to actually perform the acts portrayed in the game is in most states younger than what people are arguing should be the legal age to purchase the game.

Now, as with every hot-button issue that gets voters crazy, Congress is stepping to the plate to defend those people who absolutely need the government to tell them what to play and read.

On Monday, the House of Representatives voted 355-21 for HR 376 to investigate whether or not the publishers of the game intentionally hid the content from the ESRB. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, is also threatening to ask for a Senate investigation. At this point, politicians are simply grandstanding, and it should be noted that Clinton is a possible presidential candidate in 2008.

We don’t deny that Rockstar and Take Two Interactive are the authors of the offending code, and they have admitted as much. Instead of whining about how offended we all should be and how much this is morally bankrupting America, why not let consumers decide if Rockstar/Take Two should suffer any consequences?

If enough of the squeaky wheels choose not to spend their money on any products from the company, so be it.

While the uproar is a shining example of what’s wrong — and it’s the lack of personal responsibility from parents, not digital fornication in a video game, that we’re talking about — maybe this can serve as the catalyst for parents of underage game players to stop relying on Best Buy, Gamestop and Wal-Mart to slap their children on the hand when they choose a game not meant for their age and maturity level.

Hopefully this happens before somebody chastises Electronic Arts, maker of The Sims 2, for possibly showing nipples and pubic hair.

Too late.

T Park
07-29-2005, 12:41 PM
make it for 18 and over.

But if you outlaw it, thats censorship in the bad way.

SpursWoman
07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
make it for 18 and over.

But if you outlaw it, thats censorship in the bad way.

Yeah ... it really is a fun game. :lol

Spurminator
07-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm gonna step out on a limb and play devil's advocate here...

Regardless of whether or not she should have purchased the game for her 14 year old grandson, the ratings system is there to let people know, specifically, what they're getting their child (or themselves) into. Even if we don't think she should have bought her grandchild a "Mature"-rated game, those are her standards and she has a right to them.

The rating is meant to allow parents to make decisions based on the content of the game, even if they are stupid decisions. That is personal responsibility. If a game purports to have one type of content, but contains other content that the parent was not made aware of, that is misleading.

Since she was mislead, I believe her lawsuit is justified.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm gonna step out on a limb and play devil's advocate here...

Regardless of whether or not she should have purchased the game for her 14 year old grandson, the ratings system is there to let people know, specifically, what they're getting their child (or themselves) into. Even if we don't think she should have bought her grandchild a "Mature"-rated game, those are her standards and she has a right to them.

The rating is meant to allow parents to make decisions based on the content of the game, even if they are stupid decisions. That is personal responsibility. If a game purports to have one type of content, but contains other content that the parent was not made aware of, that is misleading.

Since she was mislead, I believe her lawsuit is justified.

Okay, I'll bite.

At what point of "sexual content" was she misled. In its previous form and rated "M", the game stated that term.

I don't own a legit copy of the game, so I haven't seen the actual definition on the back of the box, but it did state sexual content.

Dependant on what it says on the back, this would apply.

http://esrb.org/esrbratings_guide.asp#symbols

Slomo
07-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I believe that was GTA3, I had never heard of it before and had no idea that the game was that bad and wasn't paying that much attention (obviously), aside from the fact that I really like the soundtrack (which up until then was all I heard). I figured the stealing cars part, but not all of that other stuff. But that really threw me for a loop.

It was one of those moments where you know you have to do the "right thing" and lay the hammer down, but you're desperately fighting laughing your ass off.

Maybe that makes me a candidate for Bad Mother O'The Year, but that was pretty damn funny. My only relief was that when I asked, neither one of them knew what a hooker was...just that that's what she was. :oops :lol

I know the feeling :) You're torn between high fiving them and grounding them until they're 21 :lol

Spurminator
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, the Adults Only label specifies "Nudity" and "Prolonged sexual content," so it can be assumed that the sexual content (an admittedly vague term anyway) of a game rated as Mature would not contain nudity.

Of course, we're probably giving her too much credit by assuming she new all of the ratings guidelines...

midgetonadonkey
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Even in the PS2 version there is a cut scene where some chick is giving a guy head.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Kids can handle cutting women up with chainsaws and blowing off cops' heads.

It's all good fun.

I crack up everytime I beat someone down with the double-ended dildo.

Spurminator
07-29-2005, 02:37 PM
When does this game go Virtual Reality is what I wanna know...