PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson is NFL's real MVP

tlongII
12-06-2013, 10:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10080600/russell-wilson-not-peyton-manning-year-nfl-most-valuable-player

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1204/nfl_g_wilson01jr_300x300.jpg
Second-year QB Russell Wilson has strung together an MVP-caliber season for the league's top team.

The response was memorable and unique.

During the 2012 NFL scouting combine, then-Philadelphia Eagles director of pro personnel Louis Riddick was engaged in an interview with offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler. During the meeting, Riddick asked Zeitler what he thought of Russell Wilson, with whom Zeitler played at Wisconsin the previous season.

Zeitler told Riddick he thought Wilson could be president of the United States one day, if that's what Wilson wanted to do. Wilson engendered those kinds of feelings, that kind of loyalty from the people around him.

"I've never heard anybody say that about a player," Riddick said.

That is one of the many reasons, in just his second season in Seattle, Wilson has emerged as a legitimate candidate to become the youngest player since Dan Marino to win the league's most valuable player award. Marino was 23 when he won it in 1984. Wilson just turned 25.

Peyton Manning will likely win for the fifth time. Manning is on pace to break Drew Brees' record for passing yards in a season. He has thrown 41 touchdown passes against just nine interceptions, completed 68.1 percent of his passes, averages 8.6 yards per attempt and has a 115.3 passer rating -- the best in the NFL. And, the 10-2 Denver Broncos don't have a team with a winning record remaining on the schedule.

Manning certainly would be a worthy recipient, but the case could be made that Wilson would be better.

Wilson has the entire package. He has "it." It doesn't matter that he is only 5-foot-11. He has proven to be transcendent, to be so much more than his size. He is a tireless worker. He is an ardent student of film. And his teammates love him.

Led by Wilson, Seattle has the best record in the league and just slammed the New Orleans Saints on Monday night as if the Saints were winless instead of the second-best team in the NFC.

Wilson doesn't have the statistics that Manning has because the Seahawks' offense isn't built like Denver's. They have a potent running game with Marshawn Lynch and Wilson, who ranks third among quarterbacks with 456 rushing yards. Whereas Manning averages 40 pass attempts per game, Wilson averages 25.4. Even so, Wilson averages 8.8 yards per attempt, has completed 64.9 percent of his passes and has 22 touchdowns against six interceptions.

Voters love statistics. I should know. I am one. But there must be context, too.

Wilson is in just his second season. He has never lost a game at home. His 22 career wins are tied with Ben Roethlisberger for the most through a quarterback's first two seasons (for QBs whose careers began since the merger), and there are still four more games to go this season. Wilson is one of only four quarterbacks ever to throw 20 touchdown passes in each of his first two seasons, joining Marino, Manning and Andy Dalton. And Wilson has the third-best passer rating over the past two seasons, behind Manning and Tom Brady.

Wilson walked into a perfect situation in Seattle as a rookie last season, much like Roethlisberger did when the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted him 11th overall in 2004.

Aside from the troubling recurring suspension of players for violations of the NFL's drug policies, the Seahawks are a stable organization owned by one of the richest men in the world, Microsoft co-owner Paul Allen. Their facilities are pristine. Coach Pete Carroll has surrounded himself with competent, creative coaches, including offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith. John Schneider is a smart general manager, who along with Carroll, has built a supremely deep and talented roster top to bottom.

The Seahawks' defense is scary good. The offense has playmakers, even though they still haven't been at full strength. The offensive line has been adequate. And Wilson has fit right in.

The knock on Wilson coming out of college was that he was too short. But beyond his size, Wilson had every intangible you could want. He was voted a captain at Wisconsin just weeks after landing on campus. He comes from a stable, two-parent family. His father was an athlete. His brother and sister are athletes.

And he also endured adversity both on and off the field.

His father died in 2010 after a lengthy battle with diabetes. At North Carolina State, Wilson was forced to choose between playing football or minor league baseball. He didn't necessarily want to transfer to another school; he felt he had to.

The physical attributes were all there. Wilson is a gifted athlete with an admirable work ethic instilled in him when he was a kid by his father.

"Everybody raves about him," Riddick said. "He generally works hard and tries to be the best he can be. He's an All-American kid. He's smart off the field. He's functionally smart on the field and a mentally tough kid. He's been through a lot. He never gets out of sorts on the field and understands what's going on and reacts accordingly.

"He has everything except one thing going for him: height. Don't be shocked if he eventually becomes a Hall of Fame quarterback."

Only two quarterbacks have been the NFL MVP as early as their second season in the league -- Marino and Kurt Warner.

Wilson is young, but he is also deserving of the award. Manning will probably win it, but Wilson should.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-06-2013, 10:26 AM
op is high

Avante
12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Jerry Rice came out of lowly Mississippi Valley State, a team that was setting all kinds of scoring records. He first showed up on the national stage in a rinky dinky all star game....The Blue Grey Game. While I knew about him I'd never seen him play, back then we are not seeing Mississippi Valley on TV (now we would). Rice had a monster day vs the big school guys. Where is this going......Jerry Rice simply had "it" and we all could see it a mile away. We all see "it" with Russell Wilson, he is that guy that has it figured out and it's real obvious.

Wilson left Wisconsin as the all time NCAA passing leader, in his rookie season he ties the rookie TD record and comes within seconds of playing for the NFC title. The guy is intelligent as we see when he talks, he can run, he can throw, he knows how to play the game. He's not a goofy looking fuck like Andrew Luck he's not trying to sell every fucking thing as if he needs the money like RGIII.

Here we have a guy who is going to do whatever it takes to get better, he's going to be among the best in the league by year five. He will win a Superbowl also.

Anyone "still" not getting this is one dumb fuck.

Trill Clinton
12-06-2013, 10:47 AM
russy 2 clutch has been impressive and after 2 years, has been the best qb drafted in his class. the argument for mvp is well deserved but there is no way he will win it over manning.

crazy thing, is he's doing all of this without a weapon at WR. can't wait to see him throwing to a healthy percy harvin in the playoffs.

Avante
12-06-2013, 10:51 AM
russy 2 clutch has been impressive and after 2 years, has been the best qb drafted in his class. the argument for mvp is well deserved but there is no way he will win it over manning.

crazy thing, is he's doing all of this without a weapon at WR. can't wait to see him throwing to a healthy percy harvin in the playoffs.

Hopefully next season Sidney Rice and Harvin will be there "most" the time. Harvin does seem...fragile.

Just being in the MVP mix is cool, yes Manning deserves it.

Bill_Brasky
12-06-2013, 12:13 PM
called it at NC state tbh

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
http://i.imgflip.com/59jt8.jpg

spurraider21
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
you know its sad if even I agree with this

The Gemini Method
12-06-2013, 12:28 PM
He's playing great--but he's in a superb situation. Peyton is the MVP and unless his head explodes or he pulls a Famous Rapist Jameis, he's going to win his 5th MVP. I would gladly take a Wilson holding the Lombardi than winning the MVP. Eyes on the prize.

Avante
12-06-2013, 12:31 PM

I don't blame a lowly Jags fan for being bitter.

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't blame a lowly Jags fan for being bitter.
not bitter faggot, he deserves to be in the discussion, but to be the real mvp? gtfo

Avante
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
not bitter faggot, he deserves to be in the discussion, but to be the real mvp? gtfo

The season isn't over bitch, what if Manning went down Sunday and RW lite up the last few weeks?

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
The season isn't over bitch.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rujpMmrO1rqe4le.gif

Avante
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rujpMmrO1rqe4le.gif

Dude, nobody here is in high school...ok? Talk like a man punk, ok?

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Dude, nobody here is in high school...ok? Talk like a man punk, ok?
youd like it to be high school wouldnt you :lol faggot

Blake
12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Wilson left Wisconsin as the all time NCAA passing leader.....

Anyone "still" not getting this is one dumb fuck.

you're the dumbest fuck here.

Everyone sees it. Everyone tells you.

lol 70%

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Too much hype right now. He's playing well, but obviously Manning is shitting on the league. Brees is playing exceptional despite the hiccup on MNF. The Hawks are winning, and that's all I care about. This other shit is meaningless without winning. Perhaps a bigger game this week as opposed to last as we haven't won in San Fran in forever.

The Gemini Method
12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Too much hype right now. He's playing well, but obviously Manning is shitting on the league. Brees is playing exceptional despite the hiccup on MNF. The Hawks are winning, and that's all I care about. This other shit is meaningless without winning. Perhaps a bigger game this week as opposed to last as we haven't won in San Fran in forever. -Agreed. The media has become such a reactionary entity that it is hard to stomach the constant praise an NFL player gets. Keeping focus and getting the win should matter more than these individual accolades because they're not going to win you that game in early February which is more important to the cause than one award. 2008 was the last time they've won in the Stick--that is an eternity.

leemajors
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM
typical tlong post, kiss of death tbh

Avante
12-06-2013, 01:39 PM
youd like it to be high school wouldnt you :lol faggot

That was stupid, you're on a roll little man.

Avante
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM
you're the dumbest fuck here.

Everyone sees it. Everyone tells you.

lol 70%

Do your homework slick, see what you find.

Here I'll do it for ya.,

paste

Wilson finished the season with 33 passing touchdowns, which set the single season record at Wisconsin and was the second-most in Big Ten history behind Drew Brees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees) during the 1998 season at Purdue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdue_Boilermakers_football) (39).[44] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson#cite_note-44) Wilson also set the single season FBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Bowl_Subdivision) record for passing efficiency (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passer_rating) (191.8).[45] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson#cite_note-45)

Blake
12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
You're too dumb to understand what you wrote.

It's part of why everyone tells you you're dumb.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Wilson=system QB. Put him on a team like the cowboys where he would have sole responsibility of a offense that relies on their qb to throw 38 times a game, and he won't succeed.

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Considering all the hype around the Seahawks, if Wilson doesn't win the SB this year, he should be labeled as a choker, tbh..

johnsmith
12-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Take Manning off the Broncos and they maybe win 4 games this season.

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 03:23 PM
:lol If a second year QB doesn't win a SB he is therefore a choker. :lol

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 03:27 PM
seahawks win: :wakeup hes doing it as a 2nd year :wakeup
seahwaks lose: :cry hes only in his 2nd year though :cry

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 03:36 PM
seahawks win: :wakeup hes doing it as a 2nd year :wakeup
seahwaks lose: :cry hes only in his 2nd year though :cry

If I would've said the same thing about Luck and the Colts after the Denver game, I think it would've been met with animosity. And for me, no matter what happens this team has played better than the vast majority of the league this year. If we happen to lose, all of the emoticons, and nonsense that would follow would be expected (LOL), but unwarranted tbh. With success comes expectations, and at the very least, the Hawks have a foundation going forward.

Holden_Caulfield
12-06-2013, 03:58 PM
If I would've said the same thing about Luck and the Colts after the Denver game, I think it would've been met with animosity. And for me, no matter what happens this team has played better than the vast majority of the league this year. If we happen to lose, all of the emoticons, and nonsense that would follow would be expected (LOL), but unwarranted tbh. With success comes expectations, and at the very least, the Hawks have a foundation going forward.
im pretty sure it will be warranted, given the fact that the seahawks has the most complete team in the league. wilsons progress has put you from playoff fodder into a perennial superbowl contender, assuming your roster stays intact for the most part and stop inhaling adderall :lol. Wilson is gradually transcending his game managing role i'll give him that, but i need to see a defense properly game plan against him, though i dont see that happening while beast mode is still on the team. Also thanks for Gus Bradley, dude is my nigga. now we just gotta find our own russell wilson :lol

dirk4mvp
12-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Choker and choking are the most overused and cliched terms in sports. RW is getting his knob polished by everyone right now and the Hawks are SB favorites atm. With MVP talk, why wouldn't he be labeled as one if he falls short? Because he's on your favorite team?

Blake
12-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Wilson=system QB. Put him on a team like the cowboys where he would have sole responsibility of a offense that relies on their qb to throw 38 times a game, and he won't succeed.

Yeah, I'll wait until Wilson doesn't have a solid run game and great defense before I hand him the MVP trophy.

I'd rank him somewhere ahead of Alex Smith but below Romo.

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 04:18 PM
im pretty sure it will be warranted, given the fact that the seahawks has the most complete team in the league. wilsons progress has put you from playoff fodder into a perennial superbowl contender, assuming your roster stays intact for the most part and stop inhaling adderall :lol. Wilson is gradually transcending his game managing role i'll give him that, but i need to see a defense properly game plan against him, though i dont see that happening while beast mode is still on the team. Also thanks for Gus Bradley, dude is my nigga. now we just gotta find our own russell wilson :lol

There's no doubt we're a contender this year, but there can be only one winner every year. I can't say that every contender that loses has had a failure of a year, especially a team as young as this overall. And you certainly would like to capitalize on opportunities as they come, because who knows if you'll ever return to the same heights and have opportunities such as this. But, although we are a well rounded team, we do have holes. And fortunately the ones that were more glaring earlier in the year, we fought to cover up.

Teams have been putting game plans together to keep him in the pocket, maintaining lanes, and also assigning a spy. But he has still performed well despite that. Due in large part because he really doesn't want to run, and they assign an extra defender to him that could be in coverage. But if they don't, he can take off too. So, it's hard to defend him in general. But, when we go to the shotgun formation he is very effective in obvious passing situations so he has made strides over the past year.

:cry Miss mah nyagah Gus :cry

tlongII
12-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Those expectations don't bother me. The Seahawks will win it all this year. GuaranSheed!

tlongII
12-06-2013, 04:21 PM
They have the best QB. They have the best running back. They have the best defense. They have the best kick returner. This is going to be relatively EASY!

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Choker and choking are the most overused and cliched terms in sports. RW is getting his knob polished by everyone right now and the Hawks are SB favorites atm. With MVP talk, why wouldn't he be labeled as one if he falls short? Because he's on your favorite team?

Just because someone is in MVP talk it doesn't necessarily mean that they are worthy of said talk. He has played very well this year, more than he has been getting credit for until recently. The credit has been disproportionate this year. Too little in the beginning, and too much now. But as I have said, there are other players more deserving as of now. This MVP talk has emerged primarily because of the Saints game, and obviously the record is a contributing factor. So most of this is a product of the now, and it's a wave that's annoying people and I get it.

And like I said earlier, if I said the same thing about Luck after the Denver game, I would've been met with extreme animosity. Perfect, and reasonable comparable as Luck has been getting his knob slobbed prior to the Wayne injury. And maybe it's just me, but I don't think that every MVP candidate (especially ones with a low percentage chance of winning) should be considered a failure if they don't win a SB no matter the player. I wouldn't consider Brees a failure if he doesn't win this year, nor would I consider Megatron, Newton or Brady failures.

Spur-Addict
12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Geez tlongII :bang :bang

lefty
12-06-2013, 05:17 PM
He is the guest player

Avante
12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
The bottom line is here in his second season he's already in the SB hunt and being talked about in the MVP mix. Where are RGIII/Andrew Luck?

Anyone.."STILL"...thinking he's not the best of the three?

Avante
12-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I'll wait until Wilson doesn't have a solid run game and great defense before I hand him the MVP trophy.

I'd rank him somewhere ahead of Alex Smith but below Romo.

Dumb as a rock.

Lincoln
12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
The bottom line is here in his second season he's already in the SB hunt and being talked about in the MVP mix. Where are RGIII/Andrew Luck?

Anyone.."STILL"...thinking he's not the best of the three?

theyre on shitty ass teams with half the talent

Lincoln
12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Dumb as a rock.

Why did you leave for weeks after your picks lost?

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:31 AM
theyre on shitty ass teams with half the talent

Didn't Indy beat Seattle, Denver, Niners?

Do you really not get it?

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Why did you leave for weeks after your picks lost?

I've been taking off for weeks ever since I got here. I don't care about silly shit like that at all. Who would?

Lincoln
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Didn't Indy beat Seattle, Denver, Niners?

Do you really not get it?

that was pre wayne injury you stupid fuck, tell me how luck has played since that game

damn youre more stupid than I thought, you must be a social retard as well seeing as how you had to pay for sex when everyone practically gave it away in the 70s :lmao

oh wait, you were too busy "fighting for our freedoms :cry" by hiding on the boat and letting the alphas do all the work.

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:51 AM
that was pre wayne injury you stupid fuck, tell me how luck has played since that game

damn youre more stupid than I thought, you must be a social retard as well seeing as how you had to pay for sex when everyone practically gave it away in the 70s :lmao

oh wait, you were too busy "fighting for our freedoms :cry" by hiding on the boat and letting the alphas do all the work.

Are you really this fucking stupid? Do you really believe...one receiver...means all that to any team? You that fucking far gone? Who is Russell Wilsons "great" receiver...well?

Dummy, NOBODY NOBODY gives sex away in an overseas bar ya fucking moron. EVERYONE EVERYONE...has to pay for it. Damn you'rte an idiot!

Dude, do you know anything?

leemajors
12-07-2013, 11:52 AM
are we supposed to be impressed you paid to have sex with a 13 year old?

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:53 AM
are we supposed to be impressed you paid to have sex with a 13 year old?

I didn't bring it up and I seriously doubt anyone over there in a bar was 13. I was saying what the legal age was over there. I preferred the well developed women.

Clipper Nation
12-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I've been taking off for weeks ever since I got here.
Mainly out of embarrassment over your horrendous takes :lol

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Mainly out of embarrassment over your horrendous takes :lol

Who do you know that takes this shit that seriously, yep, me either.

So you've never noticed I;m gone for a few weeks every now and then, a lot of times in the off season.

Clipper Nation
12-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Who do you know that takes this shit that seriously, yep, me either.
And yet you completely disappeared for weeks on end when your picks kept being shitty :lol

Avante
12-07-2013, 11:57 AM
And yet you completely disappeared for weeks on end when your picks kept being shitty :lol

You cannot be this stupid.

KoolAid Mans Brother
12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
:lolbetting expert
:lol70%
:lol65%
:lol60%
:lolthis is going to be fun, hahaha
:loli'm up 1000
:lolyou really don't know how this works, do you?
:lollet's talk reality
:lolNFL historian
:lolalways loses on his picks here, but magically returns and says he is winning, with no evidence
:loljustifies keep doubling your bets till you win, as if that isn't the most degenerate gambling problem ever
:lolMason's picks
:lol49ers Super Bowl curse
:lolthis "spot"
:lolwelcher
:lolpathological liar

Clipper Nation
12-07-2013, 12:03 PM
You cannot be this stupid.
:lol Oh, I forgot, you were "painting a house," which you magically always have to do after you make another embarrassingly wrong prediction, tbh....

Holden_Caulfield
12-08-2013, 09:16 PM
:rollin

Avante
12-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Who here is still stupid enought to think RGIII won;'t be sitting on a bench by this time next season? The guy doesn't have...it? Who here is still stupid enought to think the turnover machine looks goofy Andrew Luck will accomplish more than Russell Wilson?