PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pop's system, tbh...

racm
12-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Does Holt have the balls to dismiss Pop and have the team just run isos?

Spurs 4 The Win
12-08-2013, 01:04 AM
We are 15-4 and everyone is jumping off cliffs.... We look like spoiled brats, you cannot win every game
I wonder what this place is gonna be like when we start to suck in a few years....

Venti Quattro
12-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Don't drop that Pop
Don't drop that Pop Po Pop

Sean Cagney
12-08-2013, 01:35 AM
We are 15-4 and everyone is jumping off cliffs.... We look like spoiled brats, you cannot win every game
I wonder what this place is gonna be like when we start to suck in a few years....

They are idiots in here at times man, seriously they are idiots.... DAMN.

Arcadian
12-08-2013, 01:43 AM

I agree, but it could be that people cliff jump because they had very high expectations. When the team deconstructs and rebuilds, expectations will be much lower.

BillMc
12-08-2013, 01:46 AM
I suspect when the Spurs are a lesser team, that a lot of the cliff jumpers won't even bother posting and move on to other teams and/or message boards. Real fans get upset with a loss, but know how lucky they are.

Spurs 4 The Win
12-08-2013, 01:55 AM
I agree, but it could be that people cliff jump because they had very high expectations. When the team deconstructs and rebuilds, expectations will be much lower.

I agree, but what do they expect, a 70-12 record where we beat every elite team we play and have no bad shooting nights? I just dont understand these insane expectations, it is professional sports, if you dont bring your A game every night, there is a chance you will lose/get blown out

Spurs 4 The Win
12-08-2013, 01:59 AM
I suspect when the Spurs are a lesser team, that a lot of the cliff jumpers won't even bother posting and move on to other teams and/or message boards. Real fans get upset with a loss, but know how lucky they are.

Agreed, I feel like the spurs have a lot of fair weather fans that think it is cool or hip to like the small market team that is a perennial contender, when things go south they cry like babies and call for the firing of one of the best coaches in NBA history... It is absurd

HI-FI
12-08-2013, 02:58 AM

pretty much this. I think most of the desperation is just wanting to see Duncan go out on top, and Spurs had two great moments in the past couple of years, except couldn't make it happen, whether that be from officiating or getting Ginobilized, among other issues.

Once we lose Duncan it's going to suck, but people will have more realistic expectations and might be surprised by what the Spurs can do with the opportunity.

Mikeanaro
12-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Tonight Pop was lazy, in the 2nd quarter didnt make changes and in 7 minutes we were like 20 points down and that only killed the game.
Besides that Kiwi still is playing like a scrub and same with Donny Groin.
So Pop made mistakes but is not big deal, last season in the finals he was good till the last 28 seconds.
The difference between 03 05 07 and this Spurs is they had players like Kerr or more precisely Horry who had rings and could make clutch shots, add to the mix Bowen and the Big 3 had enough muscle to win. The new role players after those guys retired sucked too much, trial and error process =Bonner,Mason, RJ, Dejuan, Gary, old Mcdyess, even George Hill didnt delivered in the playoffs.
This team is really good but needs at least a stable Kawhi or a focused Danny Green (both would be awesome) if those two guys cant face the music, we are fucked.
When those 2 were in rhythm, the team almost fucked Miami in the ass.

benfti
12-08-2013, 06:06 AM

why?, isos fucking suck, unless you mean, does Holt have the balls to do something that will cost him his job.

r0drig0lac
12-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Once we lose Duncan it's going to suck,
or else the front office (called the best in the league for some reason), players can land more freely and keep doing magic (see kawhi), due to increased cap, it is not compulsory to have a duncan system in two years. Actually if duncan stay in FO, I think he can be the guy to capture stars to play in san antonio

Ice009
12-08-2013, 08:24 AM
pretty much this. I think most of the desperation is just wanting to see Duncan go out on top, and Spurs had two great moments in the past couple of years, except couldn't make it happen, whether that be from officiating or getting Ginobilized, among other issues.

Once we lose Duncan it's going to suck, but people will have more realistic expectations and might be surprised by what the Spurs can do with the opportunity.

Pretty much this. Good take.

Macca76
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Blue font anyone ?

cd021
12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
why?, isos fucking suck, unless you mean, does Holt have the balls to do something that will cost him his job.

Blue font means he was being sarcastic.

DMC
12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I said it last year and the year prior; How can you expect the same team with worse conditioning to have better results?

Any team that's playing poorly looks like shit, regardless of the individual talent. A team playing well can look like shit against a talented team playing well. These games don't mean anything. There are two teams in the East that are of concern should we make the Finals. We just lost to one of them. That should give coaches, trainers and players motivation to improve the program. It's a process that has to begin anew each season.

Boomersgold
12-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Isn't that what TP's been doing? Deviating from Pop's system with Hero ball?

Cry Havoc
12-08-2013, 01:32 PM

:lmao

mclinejr
12-08-2013, 01:50 PM

This.

Joyrider
12-08-2013, 01:57 PM
racm doing work on all those cliff jumping f@ggots, tbh.

exstatic
12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Tonight Pop was lazy, in the 2nd quarter didnt make changes and in 7 minutes we were like 20 points down and that only killed the game.
So Pop made mistakes but is not big deal, last season in the finals he was good till the last 28 seconds.
The difference between 03 05 07 and this Spurs is they had players like Kerr or more precisely Horry who had rings and could make clutch shots, add to the mix Bowen and the Big 3 had enough muscle to win. The new role players after those guys retired sucked too much, trial and error process =Bonner,Mason, RJ, Dejuan, Gary, old Mcdyess, even George Hill didnt delivered in the playoffs.
This team is really good but needs at least a stable Kawhi or a focused Danny Green (both would be awesome) if those two guys cant face the music, we are fucked.
When those 2 were in rhythm, the team almost fucked Miami in the ass.

In the second quarter, Tim needed his usual rest, and that giant flying vagina Tiago comes up lame again. With neither in the middle, our defense is a sieve. Nothing Pop can do about that.

Mikeanaro
12-08-2013, 09:48 PM
In the second quarter, Tim needed his usual rest, and that giant flying vagina Tiago comes up lame again. With neither in the middle, our defense is a sieve. Nothing Pop can do about that.
Its ok, Indiana lost to Okhlahoma by knockout, they are humans and winning us yesterday was tonight failure, out of starters and scola they have nothing, thats how spurs almost tied the game in the final minutes, because Indy starters were resting.

AztecSpur
12-09-2013, 11:05 AM
ass.

Uhh..didn't he score 18 pts last game?

Darius Bieber
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Would like to see what Phil Jackson would have done with this Spurs team from 2000 until now.

Mikeanaro
12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Uhh..didn't he score 18 pts last game?
Yeah, 18 points with game already dead and down by 20, pretty pointless if you ask me, no pressure because the plane already crashed the mountain.
Dont worry Paul George did the same last night in OKC and he is a real superstar in Indy, made like 8 points when were down 2 points, and did 28 more and finished down by 24, in those cases like Kiwi or Boy George yesterday are garbage points.

Mikeanaro
12-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Would like to see what Phil Jackson would have done with this Spurs team from 2000 until now.
Not disrespectin Pop, but with Phil Jackson aka Colonel Sanders Spurs at least should have 3 more trips to the Finals.
Jackson team stars were always surrounded by good role players, Pop did to much trial and error.

12-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Pop's system is the only reason the Spurs are still alive. They have an old ass Duncan and Ginobili as "the big 3". And Parker is only a second option on a championship team who is given first option responsibilities. No one else is even close to being an all star player. And yet, Pop still keeps the Spurs winning.

Spurs do need help. I've said it over and over. They can win games but they won't win a championship this way. Even with the massive amount of flukes helping boost the Spurs in the finals last year, they still lost. This year, luck will even out and the Spurs won't have such fortunate games. The Spurs need to make a trade and bring back an all star caliber player. Otherwise, a good defense will just shut down Parker and kill the entire offense in the playoffs.

sananspursfan21
12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Call isos lol....with who? Boris Diaw?

T Park
12-09-2013, 04:44 PM

Yeah guys like roger Mason and Keith Bogans would've been all stars.

"Most Spurs fans, are fucking idiots"- Marcus Bryant. No truer words were spoken.

Darius Bieber
12-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah guys like roger Mason and Keith Bogans would've been all stars.

"Most Spurs fans, are fucking idiots"- Marcus Bryant. No truer words were spoken.

Ah yes, seems to me everyone on this forum is a fucking idiot, including yourself. Makes sense.

timtonymanu
12-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Ah yes, seems to me everyone on this forum is a fucking idiot, including yourself. Makes sense.

rofl. T Park is one to call people idiots. Has the same schtick of calling out every poster when he was a known quitter on the Spurs and couldn't even own up to it.

biskvito
12-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Why rush the mediocrity of the pos Duncan era? It'll come eventually and it'll be ugly.

Darius Bieber
12-09-2013, 09:26 PM
rofl. T Park is one to call people idiots. Has the same schtick of calling out every poster when he was a known quitter on the Spurs and couldn't even own up to it.

I wouldn't call Spurs fans idiots.. I mean they are either:

1) From, or living in, San Antonio.
2) People who enjoy watching good, no bullshit monkeyball, basketball.

Or both.

look_at_g_shred
12-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Cool idea.

spurraider21
12-11-2013, 09:00 PM
:cry pop's system is so bad

hitmantb
12-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Pop's system is the only reason Spurs is contending at the moment.

Phil Jackson is the best at coaching ego maniac, elite line-ups.

Pop turned mediocre rosters into pure gold. 2003 Spurs was very under-talented compared to Lakers. 2008 and beyond Spurs no longer have the dump-it-to-Duncan play when things are tough, and Pop managed to completely revamp Spurs offense. He honest does a better job than anyone with the very weak cards he has. Yes he HAS to take more risks than other coaches (resting his extremely old big three), but more often than not they pay off.

Spurs currently does not have a true elite player yet still putting up great records. If only Pop and Duncan were in a bigger market they would have almost certainly won more.

TheGoldStandard
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Had Pop and RC given Tim a proper big man from 2008 going forward I think he would have had better years before the transition to Parker and everyone shooting 3's

Spanklin
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Tell that to Houston Rockets, short stack. Best offense in the league and they ISO every possession.

Parker ISO > Harden ISO. PopPop is an idiot for not realizing this and sticking with his rigid, outdated system. Cost us another championship or get fired???

Spanklin
12-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Pop's system is the only reason Spurs is contending at the moment.

Phil Jackson is the best at coaching ego maniac, elite line-ups.

Pop turned mediocre rosters into pure gold. 2003 Spurs was very under-talented compared to Lakers. 2008 and beyond Spurs no longer have the dump-it-to-Duncan play when things are tough, and Pop managed to completely revamp Spurs offense. He honest does a better job than anyone with the very weak cards he has. Yes he HAS to take more risks than other coaches (resting his extremely old big three), but more often than not they pay off.

Spurs currently does not have a true elite player yet still putting up great records. If only Pop and Duncan were in a bigger market they would have almost certainly won more.

Stop this shit.

Erecting statues to worship won't bring you championship anymore than it saved ancient societies from invading hordes. Popovich ain't God bro, stop acting like Tim Duncan was "mediocre" and only one because you worship some idol.

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Tell that to Houston Rockets, short stack. Best offense in the league and they ISO every possession.

Parker ISO > Harden ISO. PopPop is an idiot for not realizing this and sticking with his rigid, outdated system. Cost us another championship or get fired???
suggesting we just run iso after iso for parker is completely asinine, and will not be taken seriously by anybody

Mal
12-12-2013, 06:04 PM
I love watching team playing in Pop`s system, tbh

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
After witnessing that debacle against the Pacers I think it makes sense to scrap the system in place for the team with the best record in professional sports over the last 15 years. Excellent idea. :tu

Spanklin
12-12-2013, 07:31 PM
After witnessing that debacle against the Pacers I think it makes sense to scrap the system in place for the team with the best record in professional sports over the last 15 years. Excellent idea. :tu

Players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>System.

Strawman denied.

CitizenDwayne
12-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Players>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>System.

What makes you think that? Many of the Spurs we've never even seen outside the system; what makes you think their play would improve without Pop?

r0drig0lac
12-12-2013, 08:00 PM
What makes you think that? Many of the Spurs we've never even seen outside the system; what makes you think their play would improve without Pop?
duncan ...kobe/shaq...wade/shaq...duncan again...three stars in boston...kobe/gasol...dirk...lebron/wade...the system won in 2004 .. I'll give you that

CitizenDwayne
12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
duncan ...kobe/shaq...wade/shaq...duncan again...three stars in boston...kobe/gasol...dirk...lebron/wade...the system won in 2004 .. I'll give you that

I was referring to Pop's coaching system, not whatever you're going on about. Obviously, teams with stars win championships. I just don't buy it that Parker/Ginobili could thrive more under different coaching. Only player I think that could possibly apply to is Kawhi.

TheGoldStandard
12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Tim Duncan would have thrived almost anywhere but he would have been burnt out a long time ago because of the minutes they would have pushed on him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Strawman denied.

There have been a lot of teams loaded with talent that haven't won anything. Pop's "system" in my mind would include so much more than coaching great talent. I guess I'd need you to give me a comprehensive definition of what you envision as the system before we can even start to discuss its viability. Coaching...in-game, practice, workouts, training? Scouting? Team chemistry? Substitution patterns? Player development? Explain the system so we can talk about it. For me it encompasses all of those things and more, and translates into sustained success. Pop's ability to build a cohesive team of players and identifying overlooked talent would be a large part of his "system". The Spurs aren't the New York Yankees...they don't win simply by building the league's most expensive roster. So you essentially defeat your own argument by saying it's all about having the most talented players.

Return when you have established a basis for a discussion because I'm not sure you have a clue as to what you're talking about.

TheGoldStandard
12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Pops system doesn't teach dribbling

Spanklin
12-13-2013, 06:42 PM
I was referring to Pop's coaching system, not whatever you're going on about. Obviously, teams with stars win championships. I just don't buy it that Parker/Ginobili could thrive more under different coaching. Only player I think that could possibly apply to is Kawhi.

Please tell me I'm not dealing with another Ginobili hater.

Spanklin
12-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Tim Duncan would have thrived almost anywhere but he would have been burnt out a long time ago because of the minutes they would have pushed on him.

Well why don't we go get San Antonio favorite Quanell X to coach because he'll control the minute usage just fine lol

CitizenDwayne
12-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Please tell me I'm not dealing with another Ginobili hater.

Umm no. Don't know where you got that idea. I'm just not a moronic Pop hater.

hitmantb
12-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Spurs had the worst talent pool for any team with anywhere near this many titles.

You almost always need 2 out top 10 players in the NBA to win multiple titles.

Spurs never had more than one. Pop did the best he could. If Duncan had Kobe instead of Parker/Ginobili he would have won more for sure.

Chomag
12-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Pop's system is great but it's the stubbornness not to make it an adaptive system that hurts it sometimes. IE when a player has a hot hand not to keep going to them.

TampaDude
12-14-2013, 08:31 AM
The Spurs are the winningest franchise in all of professional sports over the last 15 years. Pop's system is working just fine.

I swear, nobody suffers success like a Spurs fan. :lol