PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it...

TDfan2007
12-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Last night the Pacers just got ridiculously hot, and their hot shooting was compounded by the fact that our guys seemed to forget that they were playing against NBA players who could shoot the ball (especially TP). After a while our starters stopped executing, and the defense got worse and worse. It was embarrassing, but when one team goes ballistic from outside for two quarters, and our guys miss layups and open 3's, then it's tough to win. All of you cliffjumpers need to calm down. The Spurs have had plenty of stinkers in championship years, and it's a long season full of ups and downs that come naturally due to the law of averages.

That being said, this was not a meaningless game. Almost no game in the regular season is meaningless, because each game serves as an opportunity to build chemistry and eliminate bad habits that can bite you come playoff time. Jaded Spurs fans who claim that game X is just a meaningless regular season game are missing the bigger picture.

I'm noticing some issues that need to be corrected, and I'd like to know what you guys think:
- Tony Parker's tendency to pointlessly sag off of his man is a concern against teams with elite shooting PGs. It killed us at times against Miami, killed us recently against Houston and Portland, and will continue to kill us until he stops pulling a Kobe/Harden on defense.
- Tony needs to defer to Kawhi a bit more in the offense. This kid can score, and he's much improved on the block and in iso situations, but he needs to know that his teammates have confidence in him. Consistently getting fed the ball from one of the team leaders is a hell of a way to improve on that confidence.
- Jeff Ayers needs to never step on the court again in a Spurs uniform. Ever. I'd rather see Bonner.
- CLOSEOUTS. This has been the biggest issue imo over the start of the season. Our guys have been very undisciplined with their closeouts this season, especially Danny. This is professional fucking basketball, and how nobody on our team outside of Kawhi and Splitter seems to understand the concept of closing out on shooters is beyond me. Spurs need to fix this ASAP.

RD2191
12-08-2013, 11:43 AM
:wakeup PAUL GEORGE HAPPENED, TBH

12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I agree %100 especially about Danny closing out lol he jumps at everything too so even if he gets there in time they'll just 1.) Shoot into him and get the call 2.) Move out the way, then shoot the open 3pter or w/e shot it may be or 3.) Drive pass him

The sad part about your points is that none of them will be fixed except for maybe Ayers. I don't see him playing in the Playoffs.

cjw
12-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Ayers needs to go spend four months in Austin to see if he can develop into a 15th man. Not sure if management puts more faith in him or Baynes.

Holden_Caulfield
12-08-2013, 12:33 PM
we are coasting, tbh

TXstbobcat
12-08-2013, 12:46 PM
We are 15-4. No need to panic in December after a loss to a really good team.

sexinthatsx
12-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I agree with OP. Lets face it, regular season matters. That's why we should not have sat out the big 3 when playing Miami during the regular season, it only made them more determined to beat the Spurs tbh...

Cry Havoc
12-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Games are meaningless as far as wins and losses go in the regular season. We're going to win 50-60 games this year. We're going to be a top 4 seed at worst. Pop knows this and uses every game as a way to learn about his team and build chemistry instead of going all out for a W. Indy rode their starters last night long after they were up 20. That's the difference in coaching styles that so many cliff jumpers never understand.

Killakobe81
12-08-2013, 01:33 PM
There are only 2 teams that are clearly better than the Spurs: Heat and Pacers.
Could Okc, Clips, Gstate, Por or Rox upset Spurs in the playoffs? Sure, but not likely.
Pop is way better than every coach in the West only Doc is near his class tbh.
If Parker and Many stay healthy Tim will turn it up come May or June. He can't carry y'all for a season anymore not even a whole series ...but in key games Tim will hop in that hot tub time machine and give a Duncanesque Performance.
This is not a title team, but yet a few more plays last June you win it all. Not panic time. But expecations should be realistic.

TDfan2007
12-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Games are meaningless as far as wins and losses go in the regular season. We're going to win 50-60 games this year. We're going to be a top 4 seed at worst. Pop knows this and uses every game as a way to learn about his team and build chemistry instead of going all out for a W. Indy rode their starters last night long after they were up 20. That's the difference in coaching styles that so many cliff jumpers never understand.

Ftw

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 01:42 PM
yeah well its taking him an awfully long time to learn that Pendergraph is not worth rotation minutes

TDfan2007
12-08-2013, 01:44 PM
There are only 2 teams that are clearly better than the Spurs: Heat and Pacers.
Could Okc, Clips, Gstate, Por or Fox upset Spurs in the playoffs? Sure, but not likely.
Pop is way better than every coach in the West only Doc is near his class tbh.
If Parker and Many stay healthy Tim will turn it up come May or June. He can't carry y'all for a season anymore not even a whole series ...but in key games Tim will hope in that hot tub time machine and give a Duncanesque Performance.
This is not a title team, but yet a few more plays last June you win it all. Not panic time. But expecations should be realistic.

Agreed. The Spurs are too thin up front and don't have an elite scorer to bail them out when the offense stalls. If Timmy can round back into how he was last year, and Kawhi can become a consistent 15 ppg scorer, then I like our chances, but as of now we're a great team that is a step below Indiana and Miami.

SpursFan86
12-08-2013, 01:57 PM
We are 15-4. No need to panic in December after a loss to a really good team.

This is ALL it comes down to. I seriously question how many years y'all have been watching basketball if you really think a loss in December has some sort of implication on how we'll play come playoffs.

hint: A lot changes over the course of a season. Stop jumping ship after every damn loss and just support the team. One loss against a good team doesn't mean we can't contend, and one win against a good team doesn't mean we're guaranteed a championship. It's fucking December for crying out loud.

r0drig0lac
12-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Last night the Pacers just got ridiculously hot, and their hot shooting was compounded by the fact that our guys seemed to forget that they were playing against NBA players who could shoot the ball (especially TP). After a while our starters stopped executing, and the defense got worse and worse. It was embarrassing, but when one team goes ballistic from outside for two quarters, and our guys miss layups and open 3's, then it's tough to win. All of you cliffjumpers need to calm down. The Spurs have had plenty of stinkers in championship years, and it's a long season full of ups and downs that come naturally due to the law of averages.

That being said, this was not a meaningless game. Almost no game in the regular season is meaningless, because each game serves as an opportunity to build chemistry and eliminate bad habits that can bite you come playoff time. Jaded Spurs fans who claim that game X is just a meaningless regular season game are missing the bigger picture.

I'm noticing some issues that need to be corrected, and I'd like to know what you guys think:
- Tony Parker's tendency to pointlessly sag off of his man is a concern against teams with elite shooting PGs. It killed us at times against Miami, killed us recently against Houston and Portland, and will continue to kill us until he stops pulling a Kobe/Harden on defense.
- Tony needs to defer to Kawhi a bit more in the offense. This kid can score, and he's much improved on the block and in iso situations, but he needs to know that his teammates have confidence in him. Consistently getting fed the ball from one of the team leaders is a hell of a way to improve on that confidence.
- Jeff Ayers needs to never step on the court again in a Spurs uniform. Ever. I'd rather see Bonner.
- CLOSEOUTS. This has been the biggest issue imo over the start of the season. Our guys have been very undisciplined with their closeouts this season, especially Danny. This is professional fucking basketball, and how nobody on our team outside of Kawhi and Splitter seems to understand the concept of closing out on shooters is beyond me. Spurs need to fix this ASAP.:toast

-21-
12-08-2013, 04:07 PM
OP dropping truth bombs. Agree on all points.

Arcadian
12-08-2013, 04:55 PM
This is not a title team, but yet a few more plays last June you win it all.

...So it kinda is a title team, then. Don't stretch it: we were one play from the title. When you're one play from the title and bring back basically the same team, what else can you expect other than a title contender?

BackHome
12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
We got lucky last year almost every team we faced had one of their star players either out or hurt when we played against them. To be honest to win a championship you have to be good, play the right team, and also have to have the B-Ball gods on your side ie..no injuries, and the ball bounces your way.

Sean Cagney
12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Agreed. The Spurs are too thin up front and don't have an elite scorer to bail them out when the offense stalls. If Timmy can round back into how he was last year, and Kawhi can become a consistent 15 ppg scorer, then I like our chances, but as of now we're a great team that is a step below Indiana and Miami.

IF TIMMY can do what he did last year is key, that was HUGE in the run as he carried us in that one OT vs Memphis and a few other game. Kawhi as you said as well. Agreed on all fronts.

G-Dawgg
12-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Every championship caliber team has a superstar like Paul George. Thats what separates the Spurs from these elite teams. We don't have a single player on that level anymore.

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 06:01 PM
the spurs aren't favorites this year. that said, they have a pretty solid shot of getting out of the west. from there, puncher's chance. i'll take it

Cry Havoc
12-08-2013, 06:19 PM
yeah well its taking him an awfully long time to learn that Pendergraph is not worth rotation minutes

It's not like every player we've ever had has instantaneously fit into our system. Hell, look how long it took Tony to be a serviceable point guard rather than a fairly one dimensional turnover machine.

Pop obviously sees something he likes in Ayres. If not, he's just hoping that the investment pays out after Jeff learns the system. Either way, it beats riding our good bigs into the ground early on for another 3-4 wins.

dbreiden83080
12-08-2013, 07:30 PM
It's December.. No loss really bothers me at this point. If the Spurs are failing to put their foot on the gas in March I will be worried..

boutons_deux
12-08-2013, 08:13 PM
It's December.. No loss really bothers me at this point. If the Spurs are failing to put their foot on the gas in March I will be worried..

one loss? Spurs are 0-4 against playoff teams, including two sound defeats @ATT.

cjw
12-08-2013, 08:21 PM
one loss? Spurs are 0-4 against playoff teams, including two sound defeats @ATT.

If you want to be technical about it, Denver and Golden State are in the 7th and 8th spots right now, so add two wins. As are Atlanta, Washington and Boston out east. So 5-4. I guess none of the 15 wins count in your book.

Maybe you should rephrase what you said as contenders? Memphis with Gasol made the west finals, and we handily beat them too (once without him too).

KaiRMD1
12-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Ayres........that's te only thing wrong with this team. At least Bonner can make a three (when he feels the need to I guess) but there is not one single positive about Ayres

Arcadian
12-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Every championship caliber team has a superstar like Paul George. Thats what separates the Spurs from these elite teams. We don't have a single player on that level anymore.

I would say Parker is still on that level. At his best, he's the best scoring PG in the league. (Not as good as George overall, but for his position he's on the same level.)

Stabula
12-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Agreed that Parker is still the best PG in the league right now and as valuable to our team as George is to his.