PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Kobe's 81 point game

Spurs9
12-08-2013, 05:56 PM
It's on NBA tv right now. I've wanted to see it for a while, pretty damn impressive tbh.

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 06:00 PM
i remember that day. i wasn't actually watching most of the game, and thought the box score was showing a typo (which wasn't that uncommon on yahoo sports box scores at the time).

lefty
12-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Great performance against a shitty Raptors team and their shitty D :lol

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 06:07 PM
shit take. 81 points in an nba game is spectacular no matter who the opponent is

Katherine Robinson
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
It was an impressive scoring feat by Kobe Bryant, although his 62 in 3 quarters is his greatest chucking feat.

Let us see if he will do this again against the raptors.

Juggity
12-08-2013, 06:10 PM
shit take. 81 points in an nba game is spectacular no matter who the opponent is

Maybe if Kobe's reputation hadn't suffered greatly in the years since his greatest accomplishment, people would look upon it more favorably. Basically, the 81 point game was one of the few in his career where shooting as much as he did was justified. He then went on to use that 81 point game as justification for ten more years of continuous chucking.

lefty
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
uh no

It's not

In comparisonm MJ scored 69 pts agaisnt a team that was competing for the same division title.

Less than 81.

But 69 pts, with 18 rbds, 6 assists, 4 steals and 1 block ; and he was playing with 5 fouls too (it was a close game)

Better than 81 pts, 6 rebounds and 2 assists, in a blowout, in a meaningless game vs a very shitty team

Although the game was already as wrap for the Lakers, their coach let Kobe on the ocurt so he could stat pad to 81

So yeah overrated perf

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
uh no

It's not

In comparisonm MJ scored 69 pts agaisnt a team that was competing for the same division title.

Less than 81.

But 69 pts, with 18 rbds, 6 assists, 4 steals and 1 block ; and he was playing with 5 fouls too (it was a close game)

Better than 81 pts, 6 rebounds and 2 assists, in a blowout, in a meaningless game vs a very shitty team

Although the game was already as wrap for the Lakers, their coach let Kobe on the ocurt so he could stat pad to 81

So yeah overrated perf
hmm, did i bring up a comparison to MJ or did i just say 81 points was a spectacular performance?

and thats bullshit, kobe actually brought them back that game. the raptors were up double digits

lefty
12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
no its not BS

InRareForm
12-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Saw it live on tv.

Also saw the mavs one, which was more.impressive. he had.the mavs.beat in points.after.3'quarters

Buddy Mignon
12-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Suck on it.

Reck
12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
uh no

It's not

Less than 81.

So yeah overrated perf

Lefty is right you know.

DMC
12-08-2013, 06:53 PM

You mean like the 130 or so the college gimmick offense scored a couple times already? That? Yeah, real impressive. What's impressive is when dominant players make their teams better. Scoring a lot of points, big fucking deal. Cheryl Miller scored 100 in a game. Offenses aren't designed for that. It's a gimmick that player lovers fall for.

DMC
12-08-2013, 06:55 PM
hmm, did i bring up a comparison to MJ or did i just say 81 points was a spectacular performance?

and thats bullshit, kobe actually brought them back that game. the raptors were up double digits

Really? You're obviously a slurper of individual play. How did they get behind to the fucking raptors? I know... their star player doesn't play defense.

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Really? You're obviously a slurper of individual play. How did they get behind to the fucking raptors? I know... their star player doesn't play defense.
i'm by no means a kobe fan, and my track record here will tell you that. but i like to give credit where its due. kobe's night against the raptors was one of the best offensive displays the nba has ever seen.

Spurs9
12-08-2013, 07:03 PM

Shit take? Just because you don't like Kobe? I don't care for him much but I respect his dominance over the years and all the spurs fans getting their panties in a wad when you say his name. No one in the current game will reach that scoring amount, shot d or not.

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 07:03 PM
You mean like the 130 or so the college gimmick offense scored a couple times already? That? Yeah, real impressive. What's impressive is when dominant players make their teams better. Scoring a lot of points, big fucking deal. Cheryl Miller scored 100 in a game. Offenses aren't designed for that. It's a gimmick that player lovers fall for.
i said NBA game, you illiterate prick

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Shit take? Just because you don't like Kobe? I don't care for him much but I respect his dominance over the years and all the spurs fans getting their panties in a wad when you say his name. No one in the current game will reach that scoring amount, shot d or not.
wtf are you talking about? somebody said his game wasn't impressive, and i called that a shit take, and i went on to explain that 81 points in an nba game is always spectacular

DMC
12-08-2013, 07:07 PM
i'm by no means a kobe fan, and my track record here will tell you that. but i like to give credit where its due. kobe's night against the raptors was one of the best offensive displays the nba has ever seen.

You're starry eyed and naive if you believe that scoring a lot of points = great performance. Duncan's performance in the 2003 Finals far outshines that staged display against the Raptors.

spurraider21
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
You're starry eyed and naive if you believe that scoring a lot of points = great performance. Duncan's performance in the 2003 Finals far outshines that staged display against the Raptors.
did i compare kobe's game to duncan's? keep using strawman arguments if it makes you feel better though.

while kobe's offensive explosion was a great performance, nowhere did i say that scoring a ton of points is a requisite for a great performance. keep reaching though

DMC
12-08-2013, 07:20 PM
did i compare kobe's game to duncan's? keep using strawman arguments if it makes you feel better though.

while kobe's offensive explosion was a great performance, nowhere did i say that scoring a ton of points is a requisite for a great performance. keep reaching though

I guess Kevin Love's performances should be listed up there with the all time greats because their system doesn't include defense.

AchillesHeel
12-08-2013, 08:52 PM
It was impressive, but not as impressive as the 65 point game against the Blazers, imo. Kirby was stat padding for his last 10 points or so, and they came from the line.

this was crazy, I saw it live back then as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWAyV-S7P0

He was draining half court shots, fadeaway 3 in the clutch over Brandon Roy to win it in OT.

He definitely was one of the better scorers during his prime, to quote a YT post on Kirby's 5 straight 50+ point games.

Kobe's Average Stats In These Five Games: 62.2 PTS, 8.4 REB, 2.2 APG, 2.6 SPG, 56.9% FG (99-174). Lakers record: 5-0.

Relevancy
12-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Truly a great feat from one of the best scorers the league has ever seen, Kobe will once again bring joy to my eyes:hat