PDA

View Full Version : The real answer at Center sits under radar? and Spurs hold rights

Rummpd
07-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Remember this story: "Lithuanian center Robertas Javtokas, a second-round draft pick of the Spurs last year, was in a motorcycle wreck that could end his playing career" USA Today 5/2/03

Now from all inside reports (I write for Basketball News Service) including Euroleague reports and practices this tough strong guy has healed in remarkable fashion, has according to a doctor friend of mine in Lithuania incredible workouts and work ethic, is quick, has "unusual hops for a Euro player", plays defense, and was a MVP of a title series last year.

I am going to be in Lithuania in two weeks and hope to find out more on him but here is a tidbit:

"Robertas Javtokas, a centre from Lithuania whose NBA draft rights are owned by the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, has decided to play one more season for Lithuanian powerhouse Lietuvos Rytas, the ULEB Cup winners this year who earned a spot in the Euroleague for next season. Javtokas is 25 years old and has played for Lietuvos Rytas for six seasons"

http://web.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=8220&r_cat=8&page=1

Regardless of where the Spurs go with their other big men, figure that the Spurs brain trust is watching his development and he may well be over here as soon as next year.

TDMVPDPOY
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Bring him in since scola wont be comin, who knows if we are able to retain nazr, or mite be trading away rasho, its always good to have aserviceable bigman sittin on the bench to warm it

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Javtokas strikes me as a guy who could be a good 4th big in the Spurs' rotation.

Gino2882
07-29-2005, 08:36 AM
How tall is this guy?

TheTruth
07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Javtokas strikes me as a guy who could be a good 4th big in the Spurs' rotation.
Javtokas strikes me as a guy none of us know anything about.

boutons
07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
211 cm = 6'9"

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 08:49 AM
I saw him play in the Olympics. Not afraid of contact. The real question with him is his lateral movement and ability to play NBA defense.

Before his injuries he was one athletic mofo. He had like a 45" vert.

Solid D
07-29-2005, 08:49 AM
He's hardly under the basketball radar. He played in the Olympics for all to see. He's not every-day starting material for the Spurs now. If he can step up his game another level this season in Vilnius, then he could have a decent role in SA.

On the positive side, Robertas can dunk, set good strong picks, play physical and rebound (see the other hundred threads on him over the past 3-4 years).

spurster
07-29-2005, 09:07 AM
No way in 2006. If he was that good, he'd be on the roster now. Maybe a decent backup by 2008. It might have been different if not for his accident.

Mark in Austin
07-29-2005, 09:14 AM
If Javtokas is "under the radar" to you, you haven't been paying attention to this board for the past several years. RIF.

Spurstalk.com posters have kept the board updated on his amazing athleticism, his horrific motorcycle crash and early prognosis of perhaps regaining enough mobility to walk again, the Spurs flying him to the states and picking up the tab for the most delicate of his surgies even though they weren't obligated to, his subsequent seemingly miraculous recovery to play professional basketball again, and his now-growing role as dominant player in his league.

Personally, there's very little doubt in my mind that if he hadn't had that accident, he would be the answer for a rebounding and defensive physical presence inside. Time will tell if he can get his game back to that level. So far, it is safe to say he has exceeded everybody's expectations with his recovery and on-court performance, showing a lot of heart to the people who wrote him off after the wreck. It would be unbelieveable if he could get back enough of his mobility to be able to play on the NBA level. Time will tell. I think we all wish him the best in his efforts.

spur219
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
If it were not for his accident he would be in SA right now.

spurschick
07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Robertas Javtokas

Career:
Grew up with AB Siauliai (Lithuania) juniors…made his debut with AB Siauliai during the 1997-98 season…played there also the 1998-99 championship…played college basketball at University of Arizona (1999-00)…on January ’00 left the team…back to Lithuania signed by Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius…he’s still playing there…selected in the 2001 Nba Draft by San Antonio Spurs (56).

Won the 1999-00 and 2001-02 Lithuanian National Championship with Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius…wont he 2002 NEBL with Lietuvos Rytas Vilnius…played the 2001 and 2002 Lithuanian All-Star Game…named the 2002 Lithuanian All Star Game MVP… won the 2001 Lithuanian All Star Game Slam Dunk Contest…has been member of the Lithuanian Under-20 National Team…played at the 2000 European Under-20 Championship…member of the Lithuanian National Team…played at the 2001 European Championship.

http://www.spurschick.com/rjstats.jpg

kolko
07-29-2005, 09:20 AM
211 cm = 6'9"

211 cm is 6'11"

CubanMustGo
07-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Robertas Javtokas

http://www.spurschick.com/rjstats.jpg

Well, with a FT percentage like that, he'd certainly fit in here.

What is it with all these lousy FT shooters? Internationals always used to be good from the charity stripe, now they are worse than Shaq.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2005, 10:15 AM
211 cm is 6'11"

You are right it's 83.07 inches -- 6'11.

boutons
07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
211 cm is 6'11"

Yes, I read "6.9 ft" from the conversion results and read it as 6'9" :)

211 / 2.54 = 83 inches = 6.9 ft = 6 ft 11 inches

boutons
07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Lousy FT shooting is often simple lack of physical co-ordination at a fine level.

Poorly coordinated people can learn to shoot FTs, but it takes a lot more effort and training than people who have the co-ordination that gives them a natural shooting touch.

A lot of big men play basketball, often "enlisted" by a coach as soon as their exceptional height becomes apparent, simply because they are big (eg, Rasho), not because they are co-ordinated for athletic purposes.

One for hears comments like "he shoots FTs fairly well, _for a big man_" :)

Jermaine O'Neal's FT shooting is hilarious. He shoots pretty well "for a big man", but his shot is at least 3 separate, unconnected movements, rather one fluid movement.

batman2883
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
anybody but Rasho

boutons
07-29-2005, 10:52 AM
"anybody but Rasho"

yeah, we got your opinion on Rasho several 100 posts back. thanks

wildbill2u
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
He's not every-day starting material for the Spurs now. If he can step up his game another level this season in Vilnius, then he could have a decent role in SA.

On the positive side, Robertas can dunk, set good strong picks, play physical and rebound (see the other hundred threads on him over the past 3-4 years).

On the negative side, aren't these qualities found in hundreds of guys across the land? I think the FO figured, why bring in someone who'd be doomed to ride the bench at number 12?

Solid D
07-29-2005, 11:57 AM
On the negative side, aren't these qualities found in hundreds of guys across the land? I think the FO figured, why bring in someone who'd be doomed to ride the bench at number 12?

Maybe, or....
b.) RC and Pop only wanted to add one more big and they preferred/rated Oberto and Scola ahead of Robertas.

c.) His newly-wed wife really wanted him to stay in Vilnius while she went to school and she broke out the ball and chain early.

picnroll
07-29-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm not sold on Javtokas at all. What I've seen of him in the Olympics and ULEB cup he's stiff, not at all agile. Also he doesn't hold his balance well with contact. With all his reputed vertical he doesn't jump to contest shots but just stands straight up and down a la Rasho with less effectivenss than Rasho. Rasho > Javtokas from what I've seen.

whottt
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
He's considered one of the best defensive Centers in all of Europe and his jumping ability is still highly touted...

He was the MVP of the ULEB Cup and he beat Oberto's team on the way to winning it.

RC has said if not for the injury he would already be in the NBA, and he also said he's really close to being NBA level(this in the Olympics)...

But I am curious as to why he signed a long term deal with Liutvios...maybe the Spurs told him he wouldn't be coming over any time soon.

I think he is a quality player and I liked him better than Scola in the Olympics...he's a tough and physical presence who isn't afraid of contract, and he hustles.

Solid D
07-29-2005, 12:21 PM
At their current level of play, I would start Rasho at Center over Robertas too, if the Spurs had both. However, Robertas could provide some physicality in a rebounder/screener/defender/no-easy-baskets role some day.

Solid D
07-29-2005, 12:23 PM
But I am curious as to why he signed a long term deal with Liutvios...maybe the Spurs told him he wouldn't be coming over any time soon.

He only re-upped for one year, whottt.

T Park
07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
But I am curious as to why he signed a long term deal with Liutvios

I think he was gonna come over THIS summer, but the uncertainty with the lockout, and his wife in school kept him over there.

I think next year he comes over.

clubalien
07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
when rasho is traded we will have
oberto>nazr
then next year nazrs contracty ends
we will have
oberto>jav
next year repeat
then year after we coudl bring in Ian so he can domiante the NBA

timvp
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Javtokas is about as under the radar on SpursTalk as Tim Duncan.

nacho estrada
07-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Javotkas didnt look all of his 6'11" in the Olympics.. he played about 6'9" but im sure he would help us with those troublesome mobile bigs like Miles and Kirilenko who run circles around Tim, Rasho and Nazr on occasion.

MI21
07-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Javtokas is over the radar.

exstatic
07-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Before his accident, he dunked on an 11'6" rim. :wow If he's good enough, they'll bring him over. I'm just glad that he's recovered enough to play on a high level. I think there were questions of him walking again, and almost no one thought he'd play again.

Kori Ellis
07-30-2005, 01:23 AM
^ are u serious? the world record is 12 feet or so. a 45 inch vert is not possible though for a guy that tall

It's possible. I just looked around - most sites say he had between a 40' and 45' vertical before the accident.

But he has 19 pins and a metal plate inserted in his right leg after the accident. He's not even close to the same anymore.

timvp
07-30-2005, 01:36 AM
According to Suproleague Yearbook, gained instant fame in Lithuania by dunking on a basket raised to 3.592 m, or slightly more than 11 feet, 8 inches high.

Too bad for that accident. He would have been good.

grjr
07-30-2005, 03:03 AM
I think I remember Clyde Drexler dunking on a 12'2" rim in some competition back in the day.

Man In Black
07-30-2005, 10:21 AM
When he was at University of Arizona, people marveled at how athletic he was for a bigman. He played 1 season there. Since he is a former Wildcat, I say bring him in. Look at our history with players from the U of A.
Elliott...Kerr...Javtokas?