PDA

View Full Version : Rose's plate fills with new coach, shop

spurschick
07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Rose's plate fills with new coach, shop
Web Posted: 07/29/2005 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Having tapped into San Antonio's affinity for short-order food, Malik Rose has spent the past few weeks prepping for the opening of his second cheesesteak shop. He also feels optimistic about the chances for growth at his regular job after hearing he's getting a new boss.

Malik Rose spent more than seven seasons with the Spurs before being traded to the Knicks in February.

Not quite ready to become a full-time restaurateur, Rose hopes New York's hiring of Larry Brown as coach on Thursday means he'll spend more time on the court than behind the counter next summer.

"I really think we'll have a good chance to make the playoffs," said Rose, who was traded to the Knicks midway through last season after 71/2 years with the Spurs. "As far as contending, we'll have to wait and see. But I think coach Brown can help get us to the playoffs next season."

Though Rose is one of five power forwards on New York's roster, he figures to be among the players Brown wants to keep. Brown preaches defense, a subject Rose is well-versed in after playing for Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, one of Brown's best friends. Rose's hustle also has earned Brown's respect.

Rose occasionally saw Brown when he returned to his native Philadelphia in the summer to work out with some of the 76ers' players. Brown, then Philadelphia's coach, sometimes watched the pickup games.

"Even then he couldn't sit still — he was always teaching," Rose said.

Rose complimented Herb Williams, the Knicks' interim coach, for keeping the team together after Lenny Wilkens was fired — "I was only there six months and it was tough," Rose said. "I can't imagine having gone through it a whole year" — but also welcomes the hard-line approach Brown brings.

"I think accountability will really help us," Rose said. "You might not let a guy go middle or not let a guy go to his left hand if you're worried about getting benched. It will really help to have a solid team defensive philosophy, to just have a team philosophy."

Distraught when Popovich informed him on the afternoon of the Feb. 24 trade deadline he was being sent to New York for Nazr Mohammed, Rose has tried to make the best of his new situation. He returned to San Antonio as soon as the season ended and plans to continue to call the city home.

Rose's mother and siblings also have remained here. Business at his initial Malik's Philly's Phamous restaurant didn't drop after the trade, so he proceeded with plans to open a second location at Bandera Road and Loop 1604. After hosting standing-room-only crowds this week, he will have a formal grand opening Saturday.

Rose also continues to see Tim Duncan, whose wife, Amy, recently give birth to their first daughter. "Tim's always got a smile on his face now," Rose said. "He looks like AJ (Avery Johnson)."

Rose didn't attend any Spurs playoff games but watched Games 5 and 7 of the NBA Finals on TV. It was the first time in his nine seasons he didn't play in the postseason.

"It was weird watching because I had been there with them during the season," Rose said. "I knew how they prepared. At certain points in the game, I knew what they were going to do."

The day after the Spurs won Game 5, a woman approached Rose at the store, congratulated him on the victory and told him he had played great.

"You don't know how many times I get that," Rose said, laughing. "People always tell me, 'You guys did so great; we just love our Spurs.' I tell them I don't play for the Spurs anymore and they say, 'Oh, we love you anyway.'"

Rose also is repeatedly asked if he will get a championship ring from the team.

"Even if they offered, I couldn't accept it," he said. "I don't deserve it. I was with the Knicks when (the Spurs) were playing for it. I wasn't in Game5 in Detroit. I wasn't in Game 7 in San Antonio. I just wish I was."

1Parker1
07-29-2005, 10:06 AM
:depressed I miss Malik

Ginofan
07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
The day after the Spurs won Game 5, a woman approached Rose at the store, congratulated him on the victory and told him he had played great.

"You don't know how many times I get that," Rose said, laughing. "People always tell me, 'You guys did so great; we just love our Spurs.' I tell them I don't play for the Spurs anymore and they say, 'Oh, we love you anyway.'"

"Even if they offered, I couldn't accept it," he said. "I don't deserve it. I was with the Knicks when (the Spurs) were playing for it. I wasn't in Game5 in Detroit. I wasn't in Game 7 in San Antonio. I just wish I was."

Yeah that has to suck.... :lol

GoSpurs21
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM

this guy has so much class!!!!! I wonder where he learned it from?
by the way I have eaten at the 1604 location twice since it openned and if you like the original one the food is the same, but the resturant is a lot smaller

ObiwanGinobili
07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
awesome articule!! :tu
Rose is pure class, I love that guy.

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Hopefully Malik ends up on a playoff team and out of that mess in NYC. Cleveland would be an ideal spot for him.

Horry For 3!
07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
I saw him on the News the other day, they were talking about him opening up another resturant.

TheTruth
07-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Those last few lines were heartbreaking.

boutons
07-29-2005, 11:26 AM
"this guy has so much class"

The average level of "class" is so low in the NBA that any gesture that is just halfway civil, decent, rational, or unselfish is "class".

Malik's position is the obvious, undisputable one. There's no way Malik deserves a ring, for the very reasons that he was traded. He wasn't making a contribution that justified keeping him/salary on the team. Compare with his avg minutes and pts/RBs 02/03 season.

(but I have no objection to the Spurs giving rings to whomever).

Louae
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
(but I have no objection to the Spurs giving rings to whomever).

Especially if it's to a Malik Rose.

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 11:29 AM
The average level of "class" is so low in the NBA that any gesture that is just halfway civil, decent, rational, or unselfish is "class".

That is true, but I think that the way Malik has handled himself after being traded unexpectedly from a place that he loves has shown an uncommon amount of restraint. His behavior in this matter has been much more refined than could be expected from a large portion of society.

Ishta
07-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Malik's a great guy.. Whatever people want to say about him, they can't take away those 7 years he gave his heart and soul to the San Antonio Spurs... Classy all the way..

ca®lo
07-29-2005, 02:55 PM
'"Even if they offered, I couldn't accept it," he said. "I don't deserve it. I was with the Knicks when (the Spurs) were playing for it. I wasn't in Game5 in Detroit. I wasn't in Game 7 in San Antonio. I just wish I was."

damn.. even if he didnt say it.. y'all could feel that its breaking his heart.. damn

timvp
07-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Props to Malik.

Brown has tried to trade for him in the past, so hopefully Malik gets a good role on that team. I think Brown sees the talent.

baseline bum
07-29-2005, 07:06 PM
The Spurs don't win the title without that trade, but I'd be lying if I didn't say part of me wishes it had never gone down. It was like losing Bruce, Manu, or Tony.

T Park
07-29-2005, 07:10 PM
The Spurs don't win the title without that trade, but I'd be lying if I didn't say part of me wishes it had never gone down. It was like losing Bruce, Manu, or Tony.

My sentimates exactly.

You hate to see it made, but it was for the betterment of the team.

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Rose has tried to make the best of his new situation. He returned to San Antonio as soon as the season ended and plans to continue to call the city home.[/I]

[I]Rose also continues to see Tim Duncan, whose wife, Amy, recently give birth to their first daughter. "Tim's always got a smile on his face now," Rose said. "He looks like AJ (Avery Johnson)."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finally! Some good off season news! :elephant :elephant :elephant

2centsworth
07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Rose is 1st class. I wish his game was as big as his heart.

Mixability
07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
There wouldn't have been any rings to hand out in San Antonio if Malik wouldn't have been traded. He doesn't deserve a ring. It would bring the rings "value" down if they gave him one. This reminds me of how much I disliked the retirement of #32, he was a great player, but only franchise players deserve to have their jerseys hang from the rafters.

SequSpur
07-29-2005, 10:31 PM
I thought Malik was a hall of famer on any other team not coached by Popovich.

Malik is a nice dude, but he sucks as a ball player.

TheWriter
07-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Sequ still upset Malik wouldn't hire him as the greeter at his Alamo Quarry location.

What the hell did you expect Sequ, you showed up wearing this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/weirdpixie/ollapodrida/walmart_sacked.jpg

Ishta
07-30-2005, 11:45 AM

I agree 110% although it is still painful.:depressed

Ishta
07-30-2005, 11:49 AM
There wouldn't have been any rings to hand out in San Antonio if Malik wouldn't have been traded. He doesn't deserve a ring. It would bring the rings "value" down if they gave him one. This reminds me of how much I disliked the retirement of #32, he was a great player, but only franchise players deserve to have their jerseys hang from the rafters.

I guess some have forgotten about the Memorial Day Miracle shot...Not a good idea to bash Sean:stfu

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2005, 12:06 PM
What I don't understand is how Spurs fans can hate on a player who was instrumental in winning the first two championships. Some of you just need to shut the fuck up. I am tired of reading about how allegedly awful Malik was when he was a Spur. I know some of you have specific criticisms about Malik during the last couple of seasons when he and Pop were having their pissing match. Fine. But those of you who just dog him like he was nothing need to suck a dick. It speaks volumes about what you know about the game to run your mouth about him as you do.

Ishta
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
What I don't understand is how Spurs fans can hate on a player who was instrumental in winning the first two championships. Some of you just need to shut the fuck up. I am tired of reading about how allegedly awful Malik was when he was a Spur. I know some of you have specific criticisms about Malik during the last couple of seasons when he and Pop were having their pissing match. Fine. But those of you who just dog him like he was nothing need to suck a dick. It speaks volumes about what you know about the game to run your mouth about him as you do.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank you.... I agree ! 100% with every word you typed..

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2005, 12:09 PM
It's the one disturbing trait of Spurs fans: hating on ex-Spurs.