PDA

View Full Version : Could we showcase Kawai in these blowouts?

$pursDynasty
12-11-2013, 11:06 PM
There is a thread somewhere on SpursTalk, explaining how Paul George went from a defensive minded role player into an elite up and coming super star on the verge of elite status. The post talks about how it wasn't a seemless transition, it was a bumpy road where George had a to take a lot more shots when forced up in the pecking order, with Granger's injury. He took a lot more shots, found his game and started on his way to becoming he player that he is today. I really want Kawhi to make that same progression but it is hard to take the lead in the normal flow of the Spurs offense when TP, TD and Manu are on the floor. Tony did it, as the team went from TD, to Manu back to TD to Tony but that took ages and I'd prefer not to wait that long. Which brings me to the point of this post. The Spurs have been blowing the doors off of the non elite teams. Getting not only tons of time for the 2nd string but the end of the bench as well. Would it be feasible to feature Kawhi when the bench mob takes over? Making him the offensive first option, the man. Since I only consider there to be four elite teams in the NBA, the Heat, Pacers, Thunder and the Spurs (the Rockets and Blazers aren't there yet). That would leave tons of games for Kawhi to find his sea legs. I am not saying NOT play him with the starters, because he needs his chemistry with them. As much as I love the foreign legion (the bench) the playoffs and the Championship are the main goal, and in the playoffs you don't use much of the bench so getting Kawi to a higher level is more important than just enjoying the Foreign legion run up the score.

SpursFan86
12-11-2013, 11:12 PM
All I know is Kawhi should be getting more playing time. Giving 28 mpg to a 22 year-old player with tons of potential and who is on the verge of breaking out and becoming an all-star is unacceptable IMO. I know he had tendinitis in his knee but come on...let the kid play. He's not Wade.

This is the only thing currently pissing me off with this team. I'm very satisfied with how we've been playing, despite no "statement wins". However, I think the only chance we have at winning #5 is if Kawhi breaks out and becomes a 15 ppg guy who can provide relief when other guys are struggling. Kawhi should be averaging no less than 30 mpg, regardless of how much of a blowout the game is. All we're doing is slowing his growth. Shouldn't we be trying to pump him full of confidence and getting him developed so he's better come playoff time? Don't get me wrong, I love our bench, but you're fucking delusional if you think they're going to be able to win us games in the playoffs against top teams when guys like Parker and Duncan are struggling (or on the bench)...especially on the road.

Juggity
12-11-2013, 11:21 PM
Kawhi's been on the spurs for three years. Is it really that hard to spell his name right?

ElNono
12-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Cowhi had quite a few plays this game, tbh....

jARS mEsH sEt
12-11-2013, 11:30 PM
All I know is Kawhi should be getting more playing time. Giving 28 mpg to a 22 year-old player with tons of potential and who is on the verge of breaking out and becoming an all-star is unacceptable IMO. I know he had tendinitis in his knee but come on...let the kid play. He's not Wade.

This is the only thing currently pissing me off with this team. I'm very satisfied with how we've been playing, despite no "statement wins". However, I think the only chance we have at winning #5 is if Kawhi breaks out and becomes a 15 ppg guy who can provide relief when other guys are struggling. Kawhi should be averaging no less than 30 mpg, regardless of how much of a blowout the game is. All we're doing is slowing his growth. Shouldn't we be trying to pump him full of confidence and getting him developed so he's better come playoff time? Don't get me wrong, I love our bench, but you're fucking delusional if you think they're going to be able to win us games in the playoffs against top teams when guys like Parker and Duncan are struggling (or on the bench)...especially on the road.

:lmao

Chinook
12-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Simply out he's not better than the three other wings in the rotation, and with Dias playing well, he's not getting time at the four much. He needs to earn more minutes, and he's not really doing that.

HI-FI
12-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Kumdrunk is still looking good, I think his minutes will go up as the season progresses.

TheGoldStandard
12-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Paul George had to get good out of necessity, as long as the Spurs have a way to win he won't get those kind of minutes in the regular season.

PÒÓCH
12-11-2013, 11:42 PM
This is system basketball, not And 1 street ball. Move to LA if that's what you want.

SpursFan86
12-11-2013, 11:42 PM
:lmao

Last year in the playoffs he averaged 13.5 and 9 on extremely efficient shooting, despite having a very low usage rate. He's also one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

I'm not the only one who thought coming into the season that Kawhi was ready to make the jump and become a potential all-star caliber player. Other Spurs fans, and even members of the media thought so as well. I'm not saying he's on the verge of becoming the next LeBron or some shit.

What other SFs in the West would you take over Kawhi aside from Durant? I can see arguments for Parsons/Iguodala as well. I don't see what's so laughable about the thought of Kawhi being an all-star after seeing what he did in the playoffs.

HI-FI
12-11-2013, 11:45 PM
in all honesty, I think it's because he took the summer off to let his knee heal up. Not sure if it's still an issue, people on here like Man in Black who have way more knowledge of this stuff than me think the knee is good. So it could be some prolonged rustiness and Pop is easing him back into things where he'll be playing a lot towards the end. imho.

$pursDynasty
12-11-2013, 11:53 PM
As much as I am loving the fact that the Spurs are winning lots of games by such a wide margin that we can see every single player get significant minutes BUT in the playoffs you only go 8-9 deep, so it is vastly more important to get Kawhi up to a higher level b/c TP, TD and Manu won't get any better, we just want them to be at their best, but Kawhi can hopefully up his game some. He seemingly has another level, I am not sure if Danny has one.

SpurPadre
12-11-2013, 11:55 PM
in all honesty, I think it's because he took the summer off to let his knee heal up. Not sure if it's still an issue, people on here like Man in Black who have way more knowledge of this stuff than me think the knee is good. So it could be some prolonged rustiness and Pop is easing him back into things where he'll be playing a lot towards the end. imho.

Good point about taking the summer off but we're a "no excuses" team and we do need him to step up and make the most of the minutes he's getting...and he's not quite there yet. I can't help but be very disappointed in how he's started the season so far. His play has affected Green's effectiveness on offense as well because team's aren't respecting Kawhi's jumpers and pay more attention to Danny on the perimeter as a result.

wildchild
12-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Simply out he's not better than the three other wings in the rotation, and with Dias playing well, he's not getting time at the four much. He needs to earn more minutes, and he's not really doing that.

If Leonard isn't better than any of them, we have a big problem. Just third year, at least he has 3/4 years less in the league than other wings as Marco or 7 years like Boris.

Mikeanaro
12-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Last year in the playoffs he averaged 13.5 and 9 on extremely efficient shooting, despite having a very low usage rate. He's also one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

I'm not the only one who thought coming into the season that Kawhi was ready to make the jump and become a potential all-star caliber player. Other Spurs fans, and even members of the media thought so as well. I'm not saying he's on the verge of becoming the next LeBron or some shit.

What other SFs in the West would you take over Kawhi aside from Durant? I can see arguments for Parsons/Iguodala as well. I don't see what's so laughable about the thought of Kawhi being an all-star after seeing what he did in the playoffs.

Agree, I was hoping to see Kawhi being teabagged by Durant or other PFs, he said he wanted to take the next step and be an All Star then regular season started...
Of course Durant is good but takes lots of shots, is more accurate than westbrick but if those 2 were so good they would have the ring.
Those 2 plays plenty of minutes and Kawhi plays in Pop´s system, so I hope he gets better in time.

$pursDynasty
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
what's funny is...Patty Mills seems to have found another level, he is showing more consistently what he only flashed from time to time in the past. I don't know if it was Pop's no towel waving mandate and the energy saved because of it or if Patty just worked on his game BUT he is obviously upped his game in the off season and is a better player. That is what I want from Kawhi. Patty and Danny if he gets his confidence back might be good enough to spark us to a couple of home game playoff wins, like good role players do, but we need Kawhi to be able to step up and help us steal a road playoff game and those are won by the starters, when the Thunder, Heat or Pacers key on TP and Timmay's shot ain't falling.

hooperflash
12-12-2013, 12:53 AM
https://fbcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1184984_760954520586117_1740638419_n.jpg

freetiago
12-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Mills didn't really add anything to his game
he was always a good shooter who can score fast
hes just getting playing time now as a consistent backup

Kawhi will be extremely important for this teams success
in the playoffs some team will always try to put an elite lanky 6'7+ defender on Parker
and it usually does a good job of containing him (Sefolosha and Lebron the last 2 years)

the reason they feel comfortable doing that is because Green cant do anything but shoot open shots and Leonard cant do anything but open corner 3s and garbage putback type plays
if Leonard develops something resembling a post game then other teams cant do that switch since Leonard would dominate a 6 foot guy in the post
right now he cant do that since he gets maybe 1 post up opportunity a game

MI21
12-12-2013, 01:20 AM
I think Kawhi is a really, really impressive player. But... at this stage, his offensive skills just aren't that great.

$pursDynasty
12-12-2013, 01:21 AM
I think Kawhi is a really, really impressive player. But... at this stage, his offensive skills just aren't that great.

that's why I'm suggesting we play him more so he can refine his offensive game.

PlayNando
12-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Who is Kawai? Is that a US state or something, tbh?

PlayNando
12-12-2013, 01:28 AM
that's why I'm suggesting we play him more so he can refine his offensive game.
Beating up on scrub teams won't do jack shat, tbh!

Mouth is Bleeding
12-12-2013, 01:35 AM
Studies show the more minutes the more injuries. It's so dumb to hate on Pop for being smart. Incredibly dumb coming from a fan of this team if you consider that being smart has been a huge part of any Spurs edge the last many years on the rest of the league.

It's why we're so good.

apalisoc_9
12-12-2013, 01:51 AM
His minutes will increase late in the season and in the playoff.

Pop has somehow changed even with rookies. Yes, he's treating Kawhi like Tony and Timmy, but that's a decision he made as a coach. We won't know if it's the right thing to do right now, but we will know come June. All I know is Kawhi is going to get over 35 minutes in the playoffs..So stop worrying.

DMC
12-12-2013, 01:59 AM
If the Spurs force Leonard into a "star" level role, he'll fold. There's not enough star time to go around for that to happen anyhow. You have to keep Tim playing, keep Tony playing and keep Manu playing. With Belli now, he's the 4th best player on the team. It's not Leonard, at least not on the offensive end. There's enough capable talent around the big 3 that trying to create a star just because Pop has high hopes for him is going to backfire.

Sean Cagney
12-12-2013, 02:35 AM
At 22 he should be getting atleast 35 minutes per game.