PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Shaq or Lebron, who had the better peak?

StrengthAndHonor
12-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Just curious what's everyone's take on this.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Toss-up, tbh..

'91-'92 Dad Killer, 2000 to 2002 Shaq, 2012 to 2014 Lebron and 1967 Wilt are all close, tbh..

irishock
12-12-2013, 12:57 AM
LeBron hasn't peaked yet.

thunderup
12-12-2013, 12:58 AM
We aren't done seeing LeRoid's peak. I say he plays at this level for another two years before he's desensitized to the HGH.

RsxPiimp
12-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Lebrons at his peak. I pick Shaq though. Ridiculous 3 Peat numbers. He was so great, he made Kobe look like Robin.

ezau
12-12-2013, 02:51 AM
Lebrons at his peak. I pick Shaq though. Ridiculous 3 Peat numbers. He was so great, he made Kobe look like Robin.

Robin is Robin while Bruce Wayne is Batman, son.

apalisoc_9
12-12-2013, 02:55 AM

:lmao

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:11 AM
in consideration...

3peat Kobe > b2b Wade
PJ > Spoelstra/Rilestra

i think lebron taking games over in the 4th like we saw in 6 and 7 is something shaq never did. though shaq's dominance throughout games was unmatched. you could attribute a great deal of that to the level of competition he had at center. i mean his top adversaries in the 3 peat years were TOSB admiral, TOSB divac, TOSB sabonis, TOSB Mutombo, TOSB Rik Smits, Tod MacCullough (spell check pls). you know what, it is what it is. he flat out dominated more than lebron did, but like i said, lebron's a much better 4th quarter player (of course, outside of the 2011 finals :lol)

if lebron gets another one, its hard to deny putting his peak above shaq's. even now its arguable

Arcadian
12-12-2013, 03:19 AM
Going with Shaq on this one. It's close, but gotta go with the center.

Thebesteva
12-12-2013, 03:25 AM
I dunno how to answer it and I give everyone props for not sucking Lebron's mushroom tip on this one. To me what Shaq did was amazing to watch. Lebron's game is awesome too, but what Shaq did in the NBA was identical to what Tyson did to his opponents. He was a killer, and I felt sorry for people who defended him.

We'll see if Lebron has peaked or not over the next 3 years

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2013, 09:14 AM
shaq was built for the playoffs, he could care less about the RS even though his stats still back it up in the playoffs

if he was that good he shouldve dominated during the 90s against the great centers, even when the great centers fell off at the turn of the century, shaq played against bullshit centers during his 3 peat years, even the later stages of his career he had bullshit competition...

Rogue
12-12-2013, 09:45 AM
They don't even play the same position to begin with. Both guys are dominant in their primes in different ways, but I'd take Shaq over bron anyday because you may hold lebron to a reasonable stat line or even shut him completely down if you have the right defensive plan and the right executor, but you have no plan or player to lock down the prime shaq without hacking him imho

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2013, 10:33 AM
hack a shaq....would be sweet

AchillesHeel
12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Shaq's peak = 29.9 ppg 14.5 rpg 3.0 apg 2.4 bpg 55% FG in the playoffs for the 3 straight titles. Lebron doesn't come close, tbh.

Killakobe81
12-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Shaq's 2000 shots on eberyone Kobe, Lebron , MJ ...

But Lebron's peak even with only two titles versus Shaq's 3 ...is more impressive especially since he doesnt take huge chunks of time off every season and plays both ends with more intensity especially in the regular season.

For a season give me 2000 shaq. He was also the more consistent finals performer.
But for 82 plus playoffs and finals I would take Lebron. Plus Lebron rarely is in foul trouble ...whether deserved or not. Can hit a FT and doesnt miss major playing time due to foul trouble or injury.

baseline bum
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Toss-up, tbh..

'91-'92 Dad Killer, 2000 to 2002 Shaq, 2012 to 2014 Lebron and 1967 Wilt are all close, tbh..

2009 LeBron was peak LeBron tbh. I don't see how he could ever do anything more impressive than take a supporting cast of

1 Daniel Gibson
21 J.J. Hickson
11 Zydrunas Ilgauskas
00 Darnell Jackson
24 Trey Johnson
8 Tarence Kinsey
3 Sasha Pavlovic
32 Joe Smith
10 Wally Szczerbiak
17 Anderson Varejao
4 Ben Wallace
13 Delonte West
31 Jawad Williams
2 Mo Williams
55 Lorenzen Wright

to 66 wins. I mean that is completely unprecedented in NBA history and I doubt I'll ever see anything like it again.

Thread
12-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Daddy.

James got in after the realignment of the NBA & Media. Media WANTED to go after James like the last pork chop on the plate, but, they were barred from such activity and they obeyed NYC to the letter. Daddy was torched & tormented until Portland in '00 then came out. The worse James got was for that Decision thing and that was just an aside, a bone tossed to Media by Stern that they ran with because they'd been denied the goods. They looked like assholes using it, but, that didn't stop them.

James gets last June because nobody can or is permitted to find a place to hang it on the Spurs for losing it and James for not winning it. Not a fucking word (cept us here)---like James won it and Duncan, Pop, and Luva's Kiwi had not one fucking thing to do with it. Nothing!

It's a cozy corporation now and a stark & definitive realization & differentiation between milllions & billions of $'s.

- Pappy

KoolAid Mans Brother
12-12-2013, 12:15 PM
Shaq is the easy choice here. Lebron had Wade and Bosh help him win titles.

Shaq had zero talent around him and he carried the Lakers teams to those titles.

Thread
12-12-2013, 12:20 PM
^Though if Kobe doesn't drag Daddy kickin' & screamin' out of Portland and into the sunlight then Daddy is hanging from a yard arm in LA with all my white brothers from the '92 riots.

JamStone
12-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Personally, I'd take LeBron. He dominates offensively inside and out and with his playmaking/passing. He's also a gamechanger defensively, whether with passing lane steals and transition blocks or with his versatility to defend multiple players in the halfcourt. Shaq rebounded and blocked some shots, but was also pretty lazy defensively.

LeBron's greatness comes into question when you talk about his killer instinct or mental approach to the game. That is something that can be justifiable when compared to guys like Michael or Bird. But for as dominant as Shaq was, at times he was a mental midget too and couldn't close games at the free throw line. So that criticism of LeBron probably doesn't fly in a comparison with Shaq.

Shaq's peak in the playoffs during the threepeat was great. But LeBron's last two playoff runs were similarly impressive: 28 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 50% FG shooting. When consider the different positions, I don't think you can reasonably say LeBron doesn't come close.

AchillesHeel
12-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Shaq's 2000 shots on eberyone Kobe, Lebron , MJ ...

But Lebron's peak even with only two titles versus Shaq's 3 ...is more impressive especially since he doesnt take huge chunks of time off every season and plays both ends with more intensity especially in the regular season.

For a season give me 2000 shaq. He was also the more consistent finals performer.
But for 82 plus playoffs and finals I would take Lebron. Plus Lebron rarely is in foul trouble ...whether deserved or not. Can hit a FT and doesnt miss major playing time due to foul trouble or injury.

What? Typical Kirby stan here.

Shaq never shat the bed in the Finals in his prime. That's all I need to know.

Shaq's stats and efficiency improved in the playoffs, and his best series were in the Finals. Nobody could stop him and he just dominated the league and took home 3 straight FMVPs.

tenbeersbold
12-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Shaq by a country mile 'cause he is a genetic freak that the NBA decided to not call offensive fouls on for most of his NBA career

He basically wasn't stoppable,Le Queen sure is...

Killakobe81
12-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Shaq's stats and efficiency improved in the playoffs, and his best series were in the Finals. Nobody could stop him and he just dominated the league and took home 3 straight FMVPs.

What the hell does Kobe have to do with this question?

1. I said Shaq's 2000 shits (typo I said shots) on MJ, Kobe or Lebron's peak. I dont think i can give ANYONE in hoops (even though I don't like Shaq as much as some Laker fans do ...) MORE of a compliment.
2. I said Shaq was a more consistent finals performer ...read my post again numb nut,s it sounds like we agree with a whole lot here ...
3. Despite the above though, I chose Lebron because he maintained his excellence over the last two playoffs PLUS the regular seasons, which Shaq DID NOT do .. I know, because I still lived in L.A. watched at least 75 regular season Laker games every year plus the playoffs. I saw him get fat and lazy and decide to save his best for the playoffs and the finals and take plenty of plays or games off.
4. Lebron's finals struggles are well documented ...wont excuse them.

Achilles, I agree with you the title is what matters most, but Lebron's durability, continued excellence and most IMPORTANTLY the fact he continued to improve after he rang ....for me gives him the edge. Lebron gives a mini Shaq physical presence but yet still creates more like Magic than any forward in NBA history. Ans hsaq may have been better in the finals, but how many times has Shaq been swept out of the playoffs?!

I think the over is at least 5 because I know it happened about 3 times with the Lakers ... how is getting swept in a playoff series any worse than losing in the finals. Shaq may have not been the main reason they lost but a player as great as shaq is he should of at least led his team to one victory. People on here kill TMAC, pau and others for the same thing.

And I dont even Love Lebron but I pay him the proper respect.

Holden_Caulfield
12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Shaq all day everyday

AchillesHeel
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
What the hell does Kobe have to do with this question?

1. I said Shaq's 2000 shits (typo I said shots) on MJ, Kobe or Lebron's peak. I dont think i can give ANYONE in hoops (even though I don't like Shaq as much as some Laker fans do ...) MORE of a compliment.
2. I said Shaq was a more consistent finals performer ...read my post again numb nut,s it sounds like we agree with a whole lot here ...
3. Despite the above though, I chose Lebron because he maintained his excellence over the last two playoffs PLUS the regular seasons, which Shaq DID NOT do .. I know, because I still lived in L.A. watched at least 75 regular season Laker games every year plus the playoffs. I saw him get fat and lazy and decide to save his best for the playoffs and the finals and take plenty of plays or games off.
4. Lebron's finals struggles are well documented ...wont excuse them.

Achilles, I agree with you the title is what matters most, but Lebron's durability, continued excellence and most IMPORTANTLY the fact he continued to improve after he rang ....for me gives him the edge. Lebron gives a mini Shaq physical presence but yet still creates more like Magic than any forward in NBA history. Ans hsaq may have been better in the finals, but how many times has Shaq been swept out of the playoffs?!

I think the over is at least 5 because I know it happened about 3 times with the Lakers ... how is getting swept in a playoff series any worse than losing in the finals. Shaq may have not been the main reason they lost but a player as great as shaq is he should of at least led his team to one victory. People on here kill TMAC, pau and others for the same thing.

And I dont even Love Lebron but I pay him the proper respect.

Lebron just needs to win this year, and I'm willing to make a case for him. I just don't think that Lebron deserves to be even in the same sentence when he disappeared in 2011 against an older,slower squad. Shaq never had that kind of an issue, he always played hard and in his prime he just dunked on anyone who dared to stand in the way.

Lebron is obviously the better option in the clutch, as he's not a liability at the line, but overall I think Shaq's dominance overshadows everything else.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 02:36 PM
:lol Shaq had a reputation for being mentally weak and disappearing for stretches prior to Phil Jackson's arrival, tbh..

A lot of people at the time questioned whether you could win a title with Shaq, tbh..

He's also been proven to be a team cancer, obviously..

Lebron and Shaq are very similar, except the former is one of the best team players and teammates in history and had much more responsibility, tbh..

hater
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
shaq never needed to be bailed out by the best shooter in history tbh

shaq by a carlength imo

RsxPiimp
12-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Yeah, Shaq was on a different level and his numbers increased exponentially in the Finals, something Lebron hasn't done since most of his numbers decreased every time in the big stage.

hater
12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Shaq never shat the bed in the Finals in his prime.

truth bomb tbh

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
:lol Shaq had a reputation for being mentally weak and disappearing for stretches prior to Phil Jackson's arrival, tbh..

A lot of people at the time questioned whether you could win a title with Shaq, tbh..

He's also been proven to be a team cancer, obviously..

Lebron and Shaq are very similar, except the former is one of the best team players and teammates in history and had much more responsibility, tbh..
yeah because nobody ever had those same questions for lebron...

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
lebron disappeared in the 2011 finals, and was an afterthought in most of the 2013 finals. he was money in 4th quarter of game 6 until the last minute, where he was bailed out by offensive rebounds and ray ray. lebron iced game 7... though it never took shaq that many games to win a title in his prime

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
yeah because nobody ever had those same questions for lebron...

That's my point, people are acting like Shaq didn't have the same question marks as Lebron:lol..

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
That's my point, people are acting like Shaq didn't have the same question marks as Lebron:lol..
i don't think it was to the same degree though.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 03:09 PM
The 2011 Mavs, 2012 Thunder and 2013 Spurs would annihilate the 2000 Pacers, 2001 Sixers and 2002 Nets, tbh:lmao..none of those series' would go past 5 games..

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:10 PM
lebron was underwhelming in the 2011 finals and a vast majority of 2013. if ray allen didn't bail him out, the last minute of game 6 would have been a shitstain on lebron's legacy. i'm not ready to equate their finals dominance tbh

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 03:14 PM
I don't think Lebron is nearly as good as Shaq at performing in the Finals, but that's quite the limited barometer for judging players, tbh:lol..Shaq's Finals opponents were historically bad, his supporting casts were miles better than Lebron's, and he had far less responsibility outside of scoring, tbh..

Lebron, overall, wasn't underwhelming in the Finals at all, tbh..for all players in the series with a +20% usage rate, he had the best offensive rating, slightly ahead of Duncan..his scoring was underwhelming, but only ignorant media/fans use scoring as the only measure to judge a player, tbh..

Miami's system is 1 star surrounded by complimentary players, since Wade's decline following the 2011 Finals..Lebron opens the entire game up for the shooters, and those lineups of Lebron + shooters are the units that killed the Spurs in the Finals, tbh..unless you guys believe old-ass Ray Allen and Mike Miller were creating those shots for themselves:lol..

spurraider21
12-12-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think Lebron is nearly as good as Shaq at performing in the Finals, but that's quite the limited barometer for judging players, tbh:lol..

Lebron, overall, wasn't underwhelming in the Finals at all, tbh..for all players in the series with a +20% usage rate, he had the best offensive rating, slightly ahead of Duncan..his scoring was underwhelming, but only ignorant media/fans use scoring as the only measure to judge a player, tbh..
meh, anybody watching knew lebron was out of his element, scoring figures aside. i thought lebron dominated 2 in their win. chalmers led them in scoring iirc, but that was because of that chalmers-lebron pick and roll and the spurs were gravitating to lebron out of fear. lebron didn't make much noise in game 1, and i dont think i heard his name called in game 3, except for when he kept getting stripped in transition.

it does speak volumes that game 7 was his best game, you have to give him that. and while its true that the finals is a very limited way to look at it, its the biggest stage with the most pressure. MJ is pretty much known for his finals dominance, as is shaq. your ability to lead your team deep into the playoffs and to have success there is a fair barometer, imo (provided you have a reasonable roster, which is why i can't hold the cavs years against bron), and the finals are weighed the most

Pako
12-12-2013, 04:06 PM
If you bring back shaq during his prime right now, he will dominate everyone. And I think Heat can't stop him.
If you bring Lebron during shaq's prime, I don't think he will dominate everyone the way shaq would.
So I will take Shaq...

resistanze
12-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Let's see what LeBron does this year. But LeBron's 2012 playoff run was better than Shaq's 2000.

Cry Havoc
12-12-2013, 04:20 PM
LeBron. Because of defense. Shaq was not an elite defender especially not in the tier LeBron is in now.

HarlemHeat37
12-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Shaq was pretty underrated defensively, tbh, but I agree, especially with the weak opposing players during the Lakers' title runs..

It's much easier to anchor the defense of an offensive-first team when there is a scarcity of paint attackers in your title runs, tbh, and your man-to-man C matchups are even easier..

AchillesHeel
12-12-2013, 04:33 PM

But Shaq never shat the bed in the Finals in his prime.

resistanze
12-12-2013, 04:49 PM
But Shaq never shat the bed in the Finals in his prime.
:lol Hard to do so with Todd MacCulloch defending you and a second option averaging 27 PPG.

AchillesHeel
12-12-2013, 05:06 PM
:lol Hard to do so with Todd MacCulloch defending you and a second option averaging 27 PPG.

oh yes, tosb version of Shawn Marion and tosb Kidd = Pippen and Gary Payton

You're acting like 2011-12 Wade is nowhere near as good as 2000-01 Kirby.

resistanze
12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
oh yes, tosb version of Shawn Marion and tosb Kidd = Pippen and Gary Payton

You're acting like 2011-12 Wade is nowhere near as good as 2000-01 Kirby.

Just saying, the entire Dallas defense was focused around containing LeBron, not just the perimeter players. LeBron could've done better, no denying that. But he never had the cushion Shaq had during the 3 peat.

I mean for all the help he supposedly has, LeBron has led his team in the playoffs in points, assists, rebounds and steals for the past 2 championships, while being the anchor defensively.

ambchang
12-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Shaq by a good distance.

The difference is that shaq had Duncan as his nemesis. Lebron had no one, which makes Lebron looks better than he really is because he is so dominant that he had no competition. But if you put prime Duncan or prime shaq in today's game, the MVP winner wouldn't be a foregone conclusion.

Killakobe81
12-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Lebron just needs to win this year, and I'm willing to make a case for him. I just don't think that Lebron deserves to be even in the same sentence when he disappeared in 2011 against an older,slower squad. Shaq never had that kind of an issue, he always played hard and in his prime he just dunked on anyone who dared to stand in the way.

Lebron is obviously the better option in the clutch, as he's not a liability at the line, but overall I think Shaq's dominance overshadows everything else.

Wait, what?! :lol
You obviously did not watch Shaq game in and game out ...
the fact that his numbers jumped in the playoffs and and finals pretty much proves that statement is bullshit.
the fact his rebounding and block numbers aren't as good as his talent suggests also prove otherwise ... shaq should of led the NBA in rebounding and blocks every year of his prime ...he was THAT good.
He also was one of the worst pnr defenders of elite big men ...which considering he was one of the biggest yet quickest true big men even more damning tbh ...

Bottom line if we get home, playoff game Shaq (check his road vs. home splits he was much more dominant with home refs) on a regular basis I would be making a case for Shaq as GOAT tbh ...but he did not so taht is why this is even a debate. IF the question focuses on a single year I would vote Shaq his 2000 MVP season was his best and better to me than Lebron. I dont care what the numbers show, in 2000 Shaq was a great leader, he played his best defense and was his most clutch. He had a late steal and breakaway slam against Grant hill and Orlando in 2000 to send a game to OT that made me think wow Shaq has FINALLY fulfilled his promise no way we are not winning the title. And he led us to that title. Unfortunately after that he got lazy and fat ...

thank God for Phil without him Neither Shaq nor Kobe realizes their full potential tbh (MJ too) ....

Rogue
12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
:lol HarlemCheat revealing his real self again as a licker of bron's dick. I still remember how he cried even harder than Bron did after game 6 of the 11' NBA finals tbh

Rogue
12-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Just like someone said above, Kobe is the perfect litmus to show you who's the better one between bron and Shaq. The prime Kobe was just as good as prime lebron, if not better, and the prime shaq made prime kobe live in his shadow...

gnsf0946
12-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Just like someone said above, Kobe is the perfect litmus to show you who's the better one between bron and Shaq. The prime Kobe was just as good as prime lebron, if not better, and the prime shaq made prime kobe live in his shadow...

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.es/b/bf/Lolwutpear.jpg

Tuddy
12-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Prime Shaq was the most unstoppable ever