PDA

View Full Version : Marco.

coachmac87
12-12-2013, 03:00 AM
When will he get mins with the starters? Has there ever been a line up Parker,Marco, Leonard, Duncan and Splitter? He doesn't have to start but why not first player off the bench? You can argue he's better overall then Manu..

6th Man minutes...

PÒÓCH
12-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Did you watch him turn the ball over and struggle against a very dismal and short handed Milwakee team?
There's your answer. There is a reason he's been heading to the D-league.

chazley
12-12-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't think he's a great fit for the starting unit because he is better with the ball in his hands. Playing with the second unit plays much more to his strengths.

hater
12-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Pop is experimenting with Marco with shitstains lineups like Green, Ayres, Mills and Bonner :lmao

IMO Pop is looking towards the future without Manu and wants to break Marco. that is the only explanation of such shit lineups for the Ferrari

look_at_g_shred
12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
There is a reason he's been heading to the D-league.
What? lol

monkeypunk
12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Did you watch him turn the ball over and struggle against a very dismal and short handed Milwakee team?

What? lol

POOCH is thinking of Nando...

12-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't think he's a great fit for the starting unit because he is better with the ball in his hands. Playing with the second unit plays much more to his strengths.
that gif in your sig.....amazing

ElNono
12-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Marco obviously shines when he plays with other unselfish players, thus the Manu-Marco combo working out well.

Not really sold it would work that way with the starters, tbh

EVAY
12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I have said in other threads that the Spurs' system is hard for a third playmaker to fit into since the starting lineup is essentially a two man offense with perimeter players out there to spread the floor. I think that is part of why Manu was put into the second unit (there wasn't enough for him to do in the starting unit), and when he (Manu) plays at the end of games it is to pull some of the defensive pressure off of Parker.

I think Pop would have to change the system to effectively use a third playmaker in the starting group...and it really doesn't seem like something Pop is likely to do, does it?

CGD
12-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Danny Green thread!

I'm not sold on Marco being a starter. Plus the Spurs shouldn't tinker with the Marco, Manu, Boris off the bench, which is a thing of beauty. I know some have been upset with Danny's irregular performances this year, but this isn't anything new. Danny is a streak player, but he plays an important role with a starting 5 that otherwise would have very poor spacing, not to mention he's the second best wing defender on the team. I'm ok with the ups/downs, so long as he plays solid D and boards consistently.

Dex
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
The bench unit has won us more games than the starters have so far. Between Tim's and Tony's slow start, and Kawhi being in a funk, the bench has pulled the starting unit out of holes several times so far, and provides a fresh look when the offense is getting bogged down.

I don't think Pop really wants to mess with that. That's why he is shuffling guys like Cory Joseph and Jeff Ayers into the starting lineup. He'd rather start a D-Leaguer than move Mills into the starting lineup and risk disrupting the chemistry between M^3 (Manu, Marco, Mills) and the rest of the bench.

Spur|n|Austin
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Come again?

In regards to OP - Marco has been great off the bench with the second unit, why would you want Pop to change that? Him and Manu have great chemistry, and Marco has already said to the media that he's perfectly happy there.

RD2191
12-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Pooch doing hard drugs, tbh.

jARS mEsH sEt
12-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Is it bad that when I first read this I thought Pooch was referring to Manu :rollin

PlayNando
12-12-2013, 01:11 PM

Are you stupid or do you just not watch the games?

PÒÓCH
12-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Are you stupid or do you just not watch the games?

Thank you for calling me stupid, I appreciate that well thought out defamatory smear. Nando is who I was referring to. I attribute this to a strange combination of NyQuil and a serious case of head congestion. Must be what people on Sizzurp feel like.

PÒÓCH
12-13-2013, 04:42 AM
POOCH is thinking of Nando...

This

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Thank you for calling me stupid, I appreciate that well thought out defamatory smear. Nando is who I was referring to. I attribute this to a strange combination of NyQuil and a serious case of head congestion. Must be what people on Sizzurp feel like.
:lol

You made a mistake. It's okay. I am an inflammatory poster, per par.

Baam
12-13-2013, 04:23 PM
I have said in other threads that the Spurs' system is hard for a third playmaker to fit into since the starting lineup is essentially a two man offense with perimeter players out there to spread the floor. I think that is part of why Manu was put into the second unit (there wasn't enough for him to do in the starting unit), and when he (Manu) plays at the end of games it is to pull some of the defensive pressure off of Parker.

I think Pop would have to change the system to effectively use a third playmaker in the starting group...and it really doesn't seem like something Pop is likely to do, does it?

Except he does it in the POs every year...

look_at_g_shred
12-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Something tells me this dude will play the Stephen Jackson 2003 role come playoff time.

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Something tells me this dude will play the Stephen Jackson 2003 role come playoff time.
:tu

EVAY
12-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Except he does it in the POs every year...

Manu didn't start any of the PO games last year, did he?

DAF86
12-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Manu didn't start any of the PO games last year, did he?

Nah, only games 5, 6 and 7 of the finals. :lol

Brazil
12-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Marco obviously shines when he plays with other unselfish players, thus the Manu-Marco combo working out well.

Not really sold it would work that way with the starters, tbh

Subtle...

Mel_13
12-14-2013, 12:32 PM
When will he get mins with the starters? Has there ever been a line up Parker,Marco, Leonard, Duncan and Splitter? He doesn't have to start but why not first player off the bench? You can argue he's better overall then Manu..

6th Man minutes...

He was the first player off the bench in the second half last night. Extremely small sample size, but the results were not good.

will_spurs
12-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Danny is a streak player

He's not. He just has no game except hitting wide open three pointers. If a team lets him have that, he'll have a "streak". If they don't, he won't. That's why he hasn't had a "streak" since game 5 of the Finals...

EVAY
12-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Nah, only games 5, 6 and 7 of the finals. :lol

After I wrote that I remembered that he started the fifth game, but I had honestly forgotten that he stayed there for the last two games. The fifth game was when he really starred, wasn't it? Last two, maybe not so much.

DesignatedT
12-14-2013, 04:24 PM
It's working great for Marco right now. No reason to change it, he's playing great coming off the bench playing with the 2nd unit.

DAF86
12-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Subtle...

Nono with the disguised Tony diss goods. :lol

ElNono
12-14-2013, 10:55 PM

ElNono
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
True though...

SpursRock20
12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Did anyone seriously see him shooting this well? I knew the general consensus was that he would shoot better than his career average because of the open looks but #1 in the NBA at over 54% was not what I imagined.

SpurSwag
12-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Pretty safe to say Marco has been my favorite role player to watch in the big 3 era. I've never seen a wing player as in sync with Manu, and he isn't a good shooter, he is an elite shooter. Or at least he is so far. I can definitely see a drop off coming eventually, but he does look absolutely dead eye from the corners

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Marco has been great and it's not exactly unexpected, as a lot of posters predicted being on the Spurs would fit his style and would give him a lot of open shots. He has shot more than 10% above his career FG% and more than 15% above his career 3PT% and this is sensational. It is also likely unsustainable, so hopefully people won't jump on his back when he hits a rough patch at some point.

Just for perspective - Manu has shot a very respectable 37.5% on threes for the season. If Marco misses his next 30 threes, he'd still have a better %.

coachmac87
12-15-2013, 03:24 AM
My point of the thread was not to have him in starting line up..it was mainly about him bring first off the bench since he's clearly the best player off the bench. He's in his prime meanwhile Manu is 36..

siraulo23
12-15-2013, 03:52 AM
marco's not gonna shoot 54% from three the whole season obviously, but if he can maintain 40+ %, it's all good

Brazil
12-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Nono with the disguised Tony diss goods. :lol

argies getting ready for the wc ?

ElNono
12-15-2013, 08:55 PM

argies getting ready for the wc ?

Not there yet... I caught that rigged drawing, but that's about it. Probably get full on with it once the NBA season is over.

FromWayDowntown
12-16-2013, 11:58 AM
I think the ultimate value of Marco will be in ensuring that the bench unit still has a playmaker even if Manu is hurt or moved into the starting lineup. Since Brent Barry's departure, the Spurs haven't really had a guy other than Manu who could be a dynamic sort of playmaker in that bench group. That has created offensive continuity problems when Pop has elevated Manu in the past. Even if Marco ends up being a less effective three point shooter than Neal would have been, he's a much better ball-handler and passer than Neal, which gives them a substantially improved hedge against whatever happens with Manu.

In a big playoff spot, I think it's likely that Pop plays 8 guys (the starters plus Diaw, Ginobili, and Belinelli). Marco means that Pop doesn't necessarily have to play a "point guard" when Parker rests -- particularly if Manu is in the starting lineup -- and doesn't have to try to convert a wing player into an offensive initiator.

EVAY
12-16-2013, 12:36 PM
I think the ultimate value of Marco will be in ensuring that the bench unit still has a playmaker even if Manu is hurt or moved into the starting lineup. Since Brent Barry's departure, the Spurs haven't really had a guy other than Manu who could be a dynamic sort of playmaker in that bench group. That has created offensive continuity problems when Pop has elevated Manu in the past. Even if Marco ends up being a less effective three point shooter than Neal would have been, he's a much better ball-handler and passer than Neal, which gives them a substantially improved hedge against whatever happens with Manu.

In a big playoff spot, I think it's likely that Pop plays 8 guys (the starters plus Diaw, Ginobili, and Belinelli). Marco means that Pop doesn't necessarily have to play a "point guard" when Parker rests -- particularly if Manu is in the starting lineup -- and doesn't have to try to convert a wing player into an offensive initiator.

Super observation. Thanks.

Manufan909
12-16-2013, 07:14 PM

I agree with everything you said, but I would still like Pop to experiment with Marco in the SL, and just give it ten games to see what happens. If Manu goes down than Green should start again, unless Marco doesnt work out as a starter and he goes back to the bench anyways. Even if Marco works out as a starter, I'd like Green as a situational starter against Houston, Miami or GS.

Rick Von Braun
12-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Marco was really bad today against the Clippers... his defense was atrocious, and I think the offense still has to go through Manu with the 2nd unit. Marco's +/- was -22 today... aghhh

Raven
12-17-2013, 08:46 AM
bump.

Ice009
12-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Yep. So far, I'm not liking Marco over Gary. Gary doesn't vanish against the best teams. He can still shoot and score against anyone. Marco is going to have to show me something against the contenders before I give him any props.

Both SUCK on the defensive end. Neither player is great at creating for themselves either.