PDA

View Full Version : Missing American in Iran Was On Unapproved Mission

symple19
12-13-2013, 02:18 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MISSING_AMERICAN_IRAN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-12-12-21-32-50

WASHINGTON (AP) -- In March 2007, retired FBI agent Robert Levinson flew to Kish Island, an Iranian resort awash with tourists, smugglers and organized crime figures. Days later, after an arranged meeting with an admitted killer, he checked out of his hotel, slipped into a taxi and vanished. For years, the U.S. has publicly described him as a private citizen who traveled to the tiny Persian Gulf island on private business.
But that was just a cover story. An Associated Press investigation reveals that Levinson was working for the CIA. In an extraordinary breach of the most basic CIA rules, a team of analysts - with no authority to run spy operations - paid Levinson to gather intelligence from some of the world's darkest corners. He vanished while investigating the Iranian government for the U.S.

Winehole23
12-13-2013, 09:35 AM
In a distracted wasy, I had been wondering about this. Thanks for clearing that up, Symple.

boutons_deux
12-13-2013, 09:41 AM
As I've said repeatedly, the NSA/CIA is out of control (and dicklessly useless, eg, ignoring the Russians' tip on Boston Marathon bombers). Here, apparently, because one NEVER KNOWS anything for sure with these NSA/CIA disinformation experts, this was a rogue operation by analysts, not by the spook dept.

Maybe American Hero Snowden can clarify for us. :lol

symple19
12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm glad that somebody shines a light into the dark room of the CIA every now and then. Maybe it keeps them a bit more honest and in-between the lines. (Or maybe not :lol)

Plus, I love a good yarn :lol

Anyway, I still think those agencies are necessary. However, more quality oversight and less pissing on our rights here in the states would be appreciated.

symple19
12-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe American Hero Snowden can clarify for us. :lol

While Snowden has definitely harmed the intelligence community, I don't think the negatives outweigh the positives (as things stand now, anyway). The American public needs to be tasered every once in awhile with some facts about what goes on in the shadows, tbh

InRareForm
12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Brody?

Dirk Oneanddoneski
12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
just like those other rat faced jews that were picked up "hiking" on the Iraq/Iran border that the US try to play off as college students lool. Its always evil Iran the bad guy and not the Jewnited states of A

m>s
12-14-2013, 05:02 PM
just like those other rat faced jews that were picked up "hiking" on the Iraq/Iran border that the US try to play off as college students lool. Its always evil Iran the bad guy and not the Jewnited states of A
true

symple19
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Brody?

:lmao