PDA

View Full Version : Actual article from the 50's on real women

batman2883
07-29-2005, 01:23 PM
50's & 60's Wives
Here is an actual extract from a Home Economics textbook printed in the early 60's.

When retiring to the bedroom prepare yourself for bed as promptly as possible. Whilst feminine hygiene is of the utmost importance your tired husband does not want to queue for the bathroom as he would have to do for his train.
But remember to look your best when going to bed. Try to achieve a look that is welcoming without being obvious. If you need to apply face-cream or hair-rollers wait until he is asleep as this can be shocking to a man last thing at night. When it comes to the possibility of intimate relations with your husband it is important to remember your marriage vows and in particular your commitment to obey him. If he feels that he needs to sleep immediately then so be it. In all things be lead by your husband's wishes, do not pressure him in any way to stimulate intimacy. Should your husband suggest congress then accede humbly all the while being mindful that a man's satisfaction is more important than a woman's. When he reaches his moment of fulfilment a small moan from yourself is encouraging to him and quite sufficient to indicate any enjoyment that you may have had. Should your husband suggest any of the more unusual practices be obedient and uncomplaining but register any reluctance by remaining silent. It is likely that your husband will then fall promptly asleep so adjust your clothing, freshen up and apply your night time face and hair care products. You may then set the alarm so that you can arise shortly before him in the morning. This will enable you to have his morning cup of tea ready when he awakes.

Meanwhile, back in the Fifties . . .

Housekeeping Monthly 13 May 1955

The good wife's guide

· Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

· Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

· Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

· Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

· Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a dustcloth over the tables.

· Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

· Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimise all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

· Be happy to see him.

· Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

· Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

· Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

· Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquillity where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

· Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

· Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

· Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

· Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

· Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

· A good wife always knows her place.

batman2883
07-29-2005, 01:24 PM
not my personal beliefs just thought this was curious as in the way things have changed so much through time

Kori Ellis
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him.

Most men would agree.

http://images.auctions.overstock.com/aimages/d/0/0/255/2557454_0.jpg

batman2883
07-29-2005, 01:27 PM
ha ha ha ha ha ha

Jekka
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I got a book published in the 60s from a garage sale last year that detailed how married couples could spice up their sex lives - and it was filled with quotes from men saying, "Wow - women can have orgasms, too?" - and more sadly, women saying the same thing. I'd have to say though, that the most disturbing part of the book entailed "you should dress up in costumes for your husband - get your kids involved in planning that week's costume!"

batman2883
07-29-2005, 01:31 PM
ha ha h aha ha ha the swinging 60's were crazy

adrienne
07-29-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm perfectly willing to have dinner ready for him some of the time. But I was nice enough to marry him, so I expect dinner to be waiting for me every once in a while. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I got a book published in the 60s from a garage sale last year that detailed how married couples could spice up their sex lives - and it was filled with quotes from men saying, "Wow - women can have orgasms, too?" - and more sadly, women saying the same thing. I'd have to say though, that the most disturbing part of the book entailed "you should dress up in costumes for your husband - get your kids involved in planning that week's costume!"

i cant begin to understand how such things could happen

Its like back then every man just used women as dolls, had no real wish to please or to love

sickening

3rdCoast
07-29-2005, 01:34 PM

If family isn't good enough for you, then who is? :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Although, my male pig side is telling me if someone gave me a 60's wife, i would gladly take one.

But then again....after spending a few weeks with a submissive woman she'd start to act like me and take on some of my habits
then she'd be a lazy ass foul mouth

nevermind

Jekka
07-29-2005, 01:39 PM
There's a closet domestic side of me that comes out every once in a while (closer to Anne Sexton than Donna Reed, though) - but I'm happy to put her away after she's cleaned the apartment and made a pie.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
There's a closet domestic side of me that comes out every once in a while (closer to Anne Sexton than Donna Reed, though) - but I'm happy to put her away after she's cleaned the apartment and made a pie.

who are they? Jekka are you really into feminism?

My gf has a Obsessive Compulsive domestic side that is tucked away but once given a little leeway she can go on cleaning for hours until i jerk the vacuum cord out of the wall and say "stop this shit"

GrandeDavid
07-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Those articles are f-ing hilarious! I think I'll tell my hard working doctor wife that, although at times she attends patients until 9:00 PM, I still will not want to queue (sp) for the master bathroom as if I'm awaiting the train. I wonder if I'll survive! :lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
and yet this hard working housewife described by Housekeeping monthly is not herself tired, exhausted and looking for a bit of respite at eh end of the day???

samikeyp
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him

whoo-hoo! :spin

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
and yet this hard working housewife described by Housekeeping monthly is not herself tired, exhausted and looking for a bit of respite at eh end of the day???

obiwan you're pregnant now? i thought u already had your kid

ohhh no wonder all the preggo talk...

spurschick
http://www.spurschick.com/cartman_ang.gif
You get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!

Jekka
who are they? Jekka are you really into feminism?

My gf has a Obsessive Compulsive domestic side that is tucked away but once given a little leeway she can go on cleaning for hours until i jerk the vacuum cord out of the wall and say "stop this shit"

Donna Reed was a scary lady on TV in the 50s and 60s who was the ideal housewife and always happy to be cooped up in the house with her new blender. Anne Sexton was a housewife who went insane in the 50s and 60s and wrote poetry on the advice of her shrink - her stuff is pretty amazing, and she was an unintentional forerunner of feminism at the time. She ended up killing herself, though, after publishing several volumes of her work.

And yes, I am into feminism, just not femi-nazi-ism. I get frustrated with men a lot, but I'm not a man-hater. I don't see how hating half the population makes you any stronger, which is the point of feminism.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Donna Reed was a scary lady on TV in the 50s and 60s who was the ideal housewife and always happy to be cooped up in the house with her new blender. Anne Sexton was a housewife who went insane in the 50s and 60s and wrote poetry on the advice of her shrink - her stuff is pretty amazing, and she was an unintentional forerunner of feminism at the time. She ended up killing herself, though, after publishing several volumes of her work.

And yes, I am into feminism, just not femi-nazi-ism. I get frustrated with men a lot, but I'm not a man-hater. I don't see how hating half the population makes you any stronger, which is the point of feminism.

Sexton sounds interesting, except the suicide part.

Are you a feminist that refuses to dress up and wear nice things (whatever you consider that) or does that fall under femi-nazi-ism too

batman2883
07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Man if i ever got into a relationship where i started an argument and my girl doesnt argue back, i think i would just slowly back out of where ever i was and would never be heard from or seen again.

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes

I would like to comment on this but sometimes things are best left unsaid. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't know if I should laugh, or be sad about that article! LOL I mean, its incredible to think how society treated women back then.

desflood
07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
It doesn't matter! Didn't you read it?! He's more important than you by far! :lol

Actually, I try to do a lot of that kind of stuff anyway, outdated thought it is. Maybe that's why we have such a solid marriage in a time when divorces run rampant. When I make him happy, he tries to make me happy, and everybody gets a lot of what they want.

tlongII
07-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Those were the days!

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Actually, I try to do a lot of that kind of stuff anyway, outdated thought it is. Maybe that's why we have such a solid marriage in a time when divorces run rampant. When I make him happy, he tries to make me happy, and everybody gets a lot of what they want.

BINGO.

bigzak25
07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
hey back then, as long as you were good to the beaver? everything was bliss. :tu

Jekka
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Sexton sounds interesting, except the suicide part.

Are you a feminist that refuses to dress up and wear nice things (whatever you consider that) or does that fall under femi-nazi-ism too

That pretty much falls under femi-nazi. I like being feminine, which involves allowing myself to dress up and wear make up and heels if I want to.

GrandeDavid
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I don't know if I should laugh, or be sad about that article! LOL I mean, its incredible to think how society treated women back then.

How about how most Middle Eastern societies treat women today? Makes those two articles look like feminist masterpieces.

batman2883
07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Crap over there they kill you for showing your ankles, its kind of outlandish the way they handle their women

ChumpDumper
07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
closer to Anne SextonWithout the child molesting, I assume.

Sportcamper
07-29-2005, 02:38 PM
50’s Happy House Wife... (http://www.ec-securehost.com/WouldYouBelieve/images/50sTVHousewife.jpg)
70’s House wife... (http://us.st5.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/frankbeecostume_1855_71950277)
90's Wife (http://www.pfieldwalker.com/images/contact/contact_girl.jpg)
2005 Modern Day Wife (http://www.natlsco.com/newsletter/03spring/angry-woman.gif)

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 02:40 PM
2005 Modern Day Wife (http://www.natlsco.com/newsletter/03spring/angry-woman.gif)

:lol

ObiwanGinobili
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
obiwan you're pregnant now? i thought u already had your kid

ohhh no wonder all the preggo talk...

I have 1 baby who is 16 months old.(girl)
and I'm expecting girl #2 Oct.26th.

Spam
07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm perfectly willing to have dinner ready for him some of the time. But I was nice enough to marry him, so I expect dinner to be waiting for me every once in a while. :lol

You WOULD be dinner if I were married to you!! :elephant

batman2883
07-29-2005, 02:45 PM
HA HA HA HA HA 2005 modern house wife is she taking a dump?

Sportcamper
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
No she is just a modern day wife...Pissed off all the time...

Upset that the neighbors got a new car & hers is two years old...Upset that her girlfriends husband built a new patio & she has to have shade purchased from Costco...Upset that she did not get to vacation in Hawaii this year... (When her husband worked 6 days a week to make ends meet)...

desflood
07-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I have 1 baby who is 16 months old.(girl)
and I'm expecting girl #2 Oct.26th.
Which reminds me - I am so damn sorry I never sent you those pictures! I'll have those to you within a few days (as soon as I can dig out some batteries for the camera :lol )

SWC Bonfire
A new SUV, Sportcamper.

batman2883

Upset that the neighbors got a new car & hers is two years old...Upset that her girlfriends husband built a new patio & she has to have shade purchased from Costco...Upset that she did not get to vacation in Hawaii this year... (When her husband worked 6 days a week to make ends meet)...

Im sensing a strange connection between you and this modern 2005 housewife......

ObiwanGinobili
07-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Which reminds me - I am so damn sorry I never sent you those pictures! I'll have those to you within a few days (as soon as I can dig out some batteries for the camera :lol )

OMG! I had almost forgot.. I was meaning to PM you about that!! :lol
thanks... u still have my email right?

desflood
07-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Yep, still got it.

ObiwanGinobili
07-29-2005, 02:54 PM

I have 1 car that doesn't work.....
I live in an apt (so no home improvement)
I don't have a costco membership
I've never had a "real" vacation (longest was a 3 day weekend) - and def. not to Hawaii
My husband works 6 days a week nad i wish he wouldn't...

I don't comp[lain about none of that shit.
But i got married in '99.... so does that make me a '90's wife still or are we all supposed to change with the decade??
If so I have got some major changes to implement.

SWC Bonfire
07-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I have 1 car that doesn't work.....
I live in an apt (so no home improvement)
I don't have a costco membership
I've never had a "real" vacation (longest was a 3 day weekend) - and def. not to Hawaii
My husband works 6 days a week nad i wish he wouldn't...

I don't comp[lain about none of that shit.
But i got married in '99.... so does that make me a '90's wife still or are we all supposed to change with the decade??
If so I have got some major changes to implement.

Well, you are what is known as a "statistical outlier".

adrienne
07-29-2005, 03:10 PM
You WOULD be dinner if I were married to you!!

I don't know whether to be offended by sexual innuendo or frightened by the threat of cannibalism.

bigzak25
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
or frightened by the threat of cannibalism.

is it that good? :lmao

Summers
07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
hey back then, as long as you were good to the beaver? everything was bliss. :tu

Weren't you paying attention? They hardly knew what their beavers were or what to do with them! :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-29-2005, 05:40 PM
I loved those articles, and couldn't agree more! I just forwarded them to Mrs. Chopper. I've never read anything more perfectly stated.