PDA

View Full Version : Suns Close to Signing Scott Padgett

ducks
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Suns close to signing Padgett
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
July 29, 2005
Looking to add size and depth to their bench, the Phoenix Suns are apparently set to sign unrestricted free agent forward Scott Padgett to a multi-year deal when contracts can be officially tendered next week.
Related Links
Sports
The Suns can’t comment on any player transactions involving free agents, but the 6-foot-9, 240-pound Padgett told Houston television station KRIV Thursday night that he is headed to Phoenix and is looking forward to playing with reigning NBA Most Valuable Player Steve Nash.

A good shooter with good 3-point range for a big man, the 29-year-old Padgett just finished his sixth NBA season and second with the Rockets, averaging 4.2 points and 1.9 rebounds in about 14 minutes of playing time. He started four times in Houston’s loss to Dallas in the opening round of this year’s Western Conference playoffs, averaging 3.6 points and over 15 minutes.

After playing his college ball at Kentucky, where he helped the Wildcats to the 1998 NCAA title, Padgett was a first-round pick (No. 28 overall) by Utah in 1999, averaging a career-high 6.7 points in 75 games with the Jazz in the 2001-02 season.

News of Padgett’s impending arrival comes a day after the Suns shipped Jake Voskuhl to the Charlotte Bobcats for a conditional secondround pick.

Taking it to the Hole
07-29-2005, 02:27 PM
It really looks like the Suns are honestly trying to get deeper as a team to compete with the Spurs. I think they are going to be harder to beat next year, so we should not stop reloading our team.

timvp
07-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Counting down the days Scott Padgett until tries to guard Tim Duncan.

:smokin

picnroll
07-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Padgett might make a good IR player for the Spurs at best.

SenorSpur
07-29-2005, 03:14 PM
It really looks like the Suns are honestly trying to get deeper as a team to compete with the Spurs. I think they are going to be harder to beat next year, so we should not stop reloading our team.

Good point. However, the Suns still have a way to go if they want to get tougher. Given the way Duncan owned the paint against the Suns during their recent series, this is acquisition is merely a "blip on the screen".

TheTruth
07-29-2005, 03:18 PM
does Scott Padgett get the same spot on the bench that Voskhul had?

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Padgett might make a good IR player for the Spurs at best.

He'd be useful at the 3 and 4 spots. Kind of a 10 minute guy to help Horry and Bruce get a little rest. He has good range on his shot.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
He'd be useful at the 3 and 4 spots. Kind of a 10 minute guy to help Horry and Bruce get a little rest. He has good range on his shot.

I'd see him fitting in well enough with the Spurs, but the Suns? I really don't get this. He's not really a run and gunner, nor is he going to help with their proposed defensive renewal. Hell, the guy struggled to get a lot of minutes with the Rockets who ran practically no fast breaks and had absolutely no reliable option at the 4 spot.

T Park
07-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Padgett = Waltah

Extra Stout
07-29-2005, 04:50 PM
That's it. I quit. The Spurs have no chance in 2005-06. Scott Padgett is the X-factor that puts Phoenix over the top. It's over. That's even better than when Houston signed future Hall-of-Famer Stromile Swift. All is lost.

SpursFanInAustin
07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Phoenix is gonna use Padgett to guard Horry at the 3-pt line. Kinda like how we used Ferry to guard Horry when he was a Laker.

BillsCarnage
07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
This is a rediculous signing by the Suns. They're stuck filling the roster with cheap cast-offs. They're only 7 deep as of now and still need a PG and Center.

But they gotta fill the roster :rolleyes