PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green?

Cklbmk
12-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Did something happen to him? I missed the game. 11 minutes?

on another note.. Those are the numbers Kawhi needs to put up every game.

timtonymanu
12-13-2013, 10:47 PM
He sucked.

dallasmaverickslose
12-13-2013, 10:49 PM
He's in a serious slump. I mean he's had a handful on good games this season but overall I'm really disappointed. I hope he didn't lose his confidence after those last 2 games of the finals...

TheGoldStandard
12-13-2013, 10:50 PM
I think Danny is just done, he doesn't get left wide open anymore because of his stroke and he doesn't have any other game to help combat this so his confidence is pretty shot. Right now he's only successful front running, if we're up 10 or so he'll bang in some shots.

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Did something happen to him? I missed the game. 11 minutes?

on another note.. Those are the numbers Kawhi needs to put up every game.
He sucked. Marco/Manu were great.

Cklbmk
12-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Damn.. he musta been really doing bad to get that little time. Marco is gonna eat up all his minutes at this rate. Too bad we didn't trade him in the offseason after that finals...

Edit: only an option cuz of Marco so I realize it wasn't viable

freetiago
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
He still hasn't developed a 1/2 dribble pullup game with confidence and hes obviously one of the worst ballhandling/finishing guards in the league
He can still play well but its gonna be harder without the spacing in the starting lineup
Ayres is basically a nothing so we won't see him go off til Splitter is back unless we play a really bad team that would do something like make strong side rotations of Green onto Parker penetration

SpurSwag
12-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Tbh whatever we get from Danny is gravy, and his impact can't be measured just by 3's made. Just him standing out there sucks the defense out, creating a lot more space for everyone. He is also an above average defender, an elite fast break defender for whatever reason, and a solid rebounder. As long as he's giving the effort on D, I'm not mad. However, if he isn't going to be a factor on offense like he hasn't been for much of the season, we are just going to see increased playing time for Marco. Which isn't a bad thing at all

Reck
12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Its like most of the time he's daydreaming out there.

I dont know what Pop told him in the off season but he's completely a different player this season.

SanDiegoSpursFan
12-13-2013, 11:03 PM
When teams take away his 3s, he seems to be confused. Usually he takes 2 dribbles, pulls back and then either shoots a 20 footer or passes it out after 2 or 3 pass fakes, which takes up about 8 seconds on the shot clock.

cjw
12-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Pop needs to use these games against the East (beating East teams below .500 by 21+ points) and make Danny push himself. His purpose on the team is for spacing a spot up shooting with good D the other way. Give him the green light and hope he hears up.

Bruno
12-13-2013, 11:07 PM
He wasn't good and when Marco, Manu and Kawhi are playing at that level, the bench is the best place for him.

SpurPadre
12-13-2013, 11:09 PM
He's in a serious slump. I mean he's had a handful on good games this season but overall I'm really disappointed. I hope he didn't lose his confidence after those last 2 games of the finals...

After he got caught sucking Lebron's dick at a club after Game 7, I wouldn't say he's feeling too bad about the way he played those two games.

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 11:12 PM
After he got caught sucking Lebron's dick at a club after Game 7, I wouldn't say he's feeling too bad about the way he played those two games.
:tu

RD2191
12-13-2013, 11:13 PM
He can shut down CP3 and Curry when it matters, I don't mind him, tbh.

rick1991
12-13-2013, 11:19 PM

Ignorant statement

SpurPadre
12-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Ignorant statement

Care to elaborate and justify him going out of his way to seek Lebron out to give him props late at night when he supposedly had a fever? He even tried to downplay his actions via twitter moments after that incident and let fans know he truly took the loss seriously.

PlayNando
12-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Ignorant statement
The truth hurts.

Rogue
12-14-2013, 06:35 AM
told you a long time ago he was just a Roger Mason 2.0, people used to think he played better D than Mason and now even his D is gone. He's just a flat out scrub right now tbh.

will_spurs
12-14-2013, 06:49 AM
I was about to start a thread on this.

He has 2 skills: knocking down WIIIIIIIIDE open threes; and being a slightly above average defender.

Sadly that's not enough to be a starter in the NBA, even on a crappy team. That's about enough to be a middle of the bench player, though, even on a contender. And the bench is where he needs to go right now. He really brings the starting unit down so much, it's not even funny. The Spurs are starting the games playing 4 against 5 right now.

Chomag
12-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Got exposed when Teams started respecting his outside shot, now the guy has nothing else to counter anything when a team takes it away. Hes nothing more than a scrub that had lucky timing with a hot streak. Maybe if he had put some work in developing more skills like a dribble move, or moving without the ball to get himself open instead of out parting with Lbron he might not be totally useless.

I think Pop might have finally lost his goggles on him.

Chomag
12-14-2013, 06:57 AM
told you a long time ago he was just a Roger Mason 2.0, people used to think he played better D than Mason and now even his D is gone. He's just a flat out scrub right now tbh.

Very good observation imo, remember Mason could hit 3's too... at one time

Captivus
12-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Im still not sure what is going on with Green...so I dont have answer.
Other players have been playing better than him, but I dont want to say: He is done...or...no confidence...or he is one dimensional player...blah..
I believe theres somehting else affecting his game and is not 100% his fault.
What that is...I dont know.

Baam
12-14-2013, 07:03 AM
The scouting report is out, every human remotely interested in bball watched the Finals is all. So his trade value got really high and he jumped at the top of scouting reports... So now we have a less useful player with a value that's gonna go down...

DPG21920
12-19-2013, 12:22 AM
How big of a development is Pop actually making a change to the starting line up with Danny? Short term impacts? Long-term?

Too early to tell?

BillMc
12-19-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I still like Danny starting and Marco on the bench paired with Manu. While we all want to see Danny's offense get going he's still a nice defender (better than Marco) and therefore a better fit with the first team.

I hope that Pop elevated Marco to give the starters some ballhandling/creativity, and that when Tony comes back Green will again start and Marco will return to the bench. Marco looks more useful off the bench too.

TD 21
12-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Don't read anything into the lineup change. It was a one off, in order to get more secondary ball handling/play making into the starting lineup, since they were missing Parker and facing an elite on ball defender, in Bledsoe. Plus, since Joseph is incapable of making plays, it's not as if Green was going to get wide open threes with the starters anyway, unless Duncan was destroying them and they began to double.

I'm not concerned with Green. Sure, I'd like to see more energy, but I think he's just frustrated with Pop yo-yoing him in and out of the lineup . . . and I know why Pop's doing it too. It's because he doesn't want him getting a big head coming off the Finals, where he received national exposure and I believe some endorsements.

apalisoc_9
12-19-2013, 01:21 AM
Don't read anything into the lineup change. It was a one off, in order to get more secondary ball handling/play making into the starting lineup, since they were missing Parker and facing an elite on ball defender, in Bledsoe. Plus, since Joseph is incapable of making plays, it's not as if Green was going to get wide open threes with the starters anyway, unless Duncan was destroying them and they began to double.

I'm not concerned with Green. Sure, I'd like to see more energy, but I think he's just frustrated with Pop yo-yoing him in and out of the lineup . . . and I know why Pop's doing it too. It's because he doesn't want him getting a big head coming off the Finals, where he received national exposure and I believe some endorsements.

I do think he's getting a big head. Did you see that play where Kawhi was virtually was ready to release a shot and he aggressivley calls for the ball thus leading to a turnover?

he's going to get his minutes back in the playoffs obviously, but not with the way he's been playing.

Sean Cagney
12-19-2013, 01:24 AM

YOUR COT DAMN RIGHT... One dimensional as well out there. If he is not open and hitting shots he sucks. He had a little run in the playoffs last year, otherwise he is what he is.

Chinook
12-19-2013, 03:02 AM
I do think he's getting a big head. Did you see that play where Kawhi was virtually was ready to release a shot and he aggressivley calls for the ball thus leading to a turnover?

he's going to get his minutes back in the playoffs obviously, but not with the way he's been playing.

On the other end, he's been an afterthought in the offensive game plan. He pretty much needs to demand the ball since he rarely gets it. That said, he doesn't seem to be very happy right now.I don't think he likes the reduction in his minutes that came with Pop getting another two instead of a three. He led the team in minutes played last year but is only sixth this season.

Green absolutely needs to be focused for the Spurs to succeed in the playoffs. Even when it looks like he's playing poorly, he's helping the team. Tonight was a great example of that.

PlayNando
12-19-2013, 03:05 AM
On the other end, he's been an afterthought in the offensive game plan. He pretty much needs to demand the ball since he rarely gets it. That said, he doesn't seem to be very happy right now.I don't think he likes the reduction in his minutes that came with Pop getting another two instead of a three. He led the team in minutes played last year but is only sixth this season.

Green absolutely needs to be focused for the Spurs to succeed in the playoffs. Even when it looks like he's playing poorly, he's helping the team. Tonight was a great example of that.
???? No, he didn't. He was 4th on the team in MPG last year behind Tony, Kawhi, and Timmy.

Edit - Oops, I didn't connect the fact that you were talking about minutes played, no MPG. I apologize.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-19-2013, 03:16 AM
rewatching the game and danny was really doing some damn good work guarding Dragic down the stretch.

Chinook
12-19-2013, 03:29 AM
???? No, he didn't. He was 4th on the team in MPG last year behind Tony, Kawhi, and Timmy.

I didn't say MPG. I said minutes played.

PlayNando
12-19-2013, 03:34 AM
I didn't say MPG. I said minutes played.
Ahhhhhhhh. Okay, that makes sense with all the games Tony and Kawhi missed and with Timmy sitting a few games. My bad.

Chinook
12-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Ahhhhhhhh. Okay, that makes sense with all the games Tony and Kawhi missed and with Timmy sitting a few games. My bad.

That explains a lot of the difference for sure, as well as Manu's and Neal's injuries. Green logged heavy minutes when Leonard and Jack went down, like 40 a night. I think he was used to being the team's workhorse, not the fourth wing like he was tonight.

FireMicoHalili
12-19-2013, 04:26 AM
Lol

apalisoc_9
12-19-2013, 04:27 AM
That explains a lot of the difference for sure, as well as Manu's and Neal's injuries. Green logged heavy minutes when Leonard and Jack went down, like 40 a night. I think he was used to being the team's workhorse, not the fourth wing like he was tonight.

But total minutes is kinda irrelevant IMO since green should know he's not going to get as much minutes as Duncan-Tony-Kawhi....Manu is going to get his and his minutes will increase in the playoffs..If he wants to get more minutes playing shitty won't get him anywhere. He needs to outplay Marco since Marco's the guy who has been eating all away his minutes.

They're not going to call plays for him other than a 3 point every now and then..He's picking the wrong time to get frustrated because marco is making something out of every chance he is given..

And about your comment giving green touches, he's not going to get any when Parker-Manu-Timmy-Marco-Patty-Agreesive Diaw-Kawhi- are all in the same team...Frankly all these players are better offensive options than him.

Chinook
12-19-2013, 05:01 AM
But total minutes is kinda irrelevant IMO since green should know he's not going to get as much minutes as Duncan-Tony-Kawhi....Manu is going to get his and his minutes will increase in the playoffs..If he wants to get more minutes playing shitty won't get him anywhere. He needs to outplay Marco since Marco's the guy who has been eating all away his minutes.

They're not going to call plays for him other than a 3 point every now and then..He's picking the wrong time to get frustrated because marco is making something out of every chance he is given..

And about your comment giving green touches, he's not going to get any when Parker-Manu-Timmy-Marco-Patty-Agreesive Diaw-Kawhi- are all in the same team...Frankly all these players are better offensive options than him.

An open Green three is still about the best option the Spurs can get on an average night. He doesn't need touches, but he does need plays drawn up for him like they are for shooters on other teams. Relegating him to a last resort hurts the offense now, and will prove to be a crucial mistake if the Spurs need him to find a way to score in the post-season. Just like with Leonard, now is the time for Green to figure out how to expand his game within his limitations. That means finding a way to score without needing to dribble and drive. That's a systematic issue.

And it's really questionable if Beli is outplaying him. He certainly didn't last night. Hell, it's questionable if Leonard's been outplaying him on many nights. Obviously Kawhi has it going now, but that wasn't the case most of the year. Green's plus-minus isn't some accident or misleading stat like Bonner's.

Obviously, the jury's still out on Beli as a starter until he can play some games with Parker, but tonight should have been a reminder to folks that Green still does his job better than anyone else on the team.

pgardn
12-19-2013, 10:31 AM
His defense can be incredible when he is awake. How many guards can freak Lebron out on a breakout dunk situation?

His offensive game is very limited by the simple fact that he cannot dribble, it's astounding. So we know what we got and we keep him. He can really disrupt some very good scorers. And maybe if put in with the correct pieces, he gets left open for 3's.

We can provide some great defense for short periods. Last two minutes of a playoff game and we can get stops. We know the agility and mobility of Leonard, Tiago, and Green has allowed Duncan to hang closer to the basket where he is most effective defensively. So we can beat the Memphis pound it style, or the GS chaotic 3 ball play. And the Portland Dallas OKC tall mobile shooter, I think we can wear that out in 7 games.

We are a better team than last year imo.

Chomag
12-19-2013, 11:01 AM
We are a better team than last year imo.
The jury is still out on that for me. With a bit of a slow start Duncan and Manu are playing some pretty great ball right now but im not sure they can sustain it all season. Remember these 2 will be a few months older by the time the playoffs come around and every week that goes by is important for those that are in their stage of their careers. I'm not saying they cant but I just fully can't say that they will be the same players near the end. However if KL would be more assertive to counter weight the aging core then I would most likely clear cut feel that they are better. Sadly KL development has stalled a bit so far but there is still allot of season left to get his act together. I think he can but we need him to be more assertive.

TD 21
12-20-2013, 06:39 PM

That happens sometimes and shouldn't be read into either. I don't think he's getting a big head, it's just Pop being Pop.

LakerHater
12-20-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQVbpe4YV7E&feature=player_detailpage

Embedded
12-20-2013, 08:15 PM
He panics when he wants to pass the ball and his first target is not open.