PDA

View Full Version : Patty Mills and Cojo rotating at the Backup Spot again?

Boomersgold
12-14-2013, 09:51 AM
What exactly is Pop thinking? In the last two or three games, we've seen Pop rotating Mills and Cojo at the backup point guard spot (again), with Mills playing as the backup in the first half, and Cojo the second half. Is this something that he plans on doing for the rest of the season, once again not establishing who the full time backup point guard by the playoffs? Could he be showcasing Cojo or Mills for a potential trade?

Mills hasn't performed poorly in the first 18-19 games, and he seems to fit in seamlessly with Manu and Bellineli, as reinforced by his PER of 18.78.

AFBlue
12-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Pop usually tinkers with the lineup throughout the season...per par tbh. It won't firm up til April, and with the way Patty has been playing he should be the backup... wouldn't worry imho tbqh.

Mel_13
12-14-2013, 12:15 PM
What exactly is Pop thinking? In the last two or three games, we've seen Pop rotating Mills and Cojo at the backup point guard spot (again), with Mills playing as the backup in the first half, and Cojo the second half. Is this something that he plans on doing for the rest of the season, once again not establishing who the full time backup point guard by the playoffs? Could he be showcasing Cojo or Mills for a potential trade?

Mills hasn't performed poorly in the first 18-19 games, and he seems to fit in seamlessly with Manu and Bellineli, as reinforced by his PER of 18.78.

:lol

You're seriously overreacting over one game. The Milwaukee game gave no indication of anything as the Spurs were up by 29 points when Tony left the game for good with 7 minutes left in the third quarter. It was a perfect opportunity to give Joseph some run with players other than the garbage time crew. So this thread is about the 5:28 that Tony sat in second half of last night's game. The Spurs defense was getting torched at that point in the game, so maybe Pop was looking for a better defensive player. Take note that Marco was the first wing off the bench in the second half, not Manu. Also, the starting SG only played 11 minutes. In any event, not a sufficient sample size to raise or answer your questions.

Btw, Joseph's PER is 17.9, so he has performed well in limited minutes this season.

PlayNando
12-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Play Nando.

SpursFan86
12-14-2013, 03:07 PM
I've actually been fairly impressed with CoJo this season. Regardless, I'd like for Patty to remain the primary backup PG. Mills/Bellinelli/Manu/Diaw lineup is just so nice offensively. Not bad defensively, either.

Baam
12-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Pop is doing it again, it's just a matter of time until De Colo gets a shot again, it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad...

DesignatedT
12-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Lol

TheyCallMePro
12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't think we have anything to be complaining about. Mills and Joseph are the best two back-up PG's we've ever had. IMO, they're both too talented not to be playing, and Pop knows it.

If Patty hadn't got that infection last year during the Finals, then he would have taken over for Joseph when he was struggling and fell out of the rotation after game 4. Nobody ever seems to mention it, but Parker getting injured, Joseph struggling, and Mills being out with an infection contributed more to us losing the Finals than probably anything else.

Pop is doing this for the spirit of the competition. Joseph is more talented as PG (driving, dribbling, passing and most of all defending) but Mills is more talented as a scorer and takes much fewer questionable shots and is less erratic.

I think Cojo is the Spurs future at PG though, if we don't trade him. Mills just isn't a pure PG, and we don't really need his scoring as much as we need good PG play. It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do in the coming months with those two. Nando, as some of you have said, is a security blanket. He has no chance of cracking the rotation otherwise.

Baam
12-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't think we have anything to be complaining about. Mills and Joseph are the best two back-up PG's we've ever had. IMO, they're both too talented not to be playing, and Pop knows it.

Mills can't dribble, how can he be the best backup we've ever had, and Cojo looks tentative and can't shoot that well making him an even worse choice... TJ Ford looked way better to me...

If Patty hadn't got that infection last year during the Finals, then he would have taken over for Joseph when he was struggling and fell out of the rotation after game 4. Nobody ever seems to mention it, but Parker getting injured, Joseph struggling, and Mills being out with an infection contributed more to us losing the Finals than probably anything else.

Pop is doing this for the spirit of the competition. Joseph is more talented as PG (driving, dribbling, passing and most of all defending) but Mills is more talented as a scorer and takes much fewer questionable shots and is less erratic.

I think Cojo is the Spurs future at PG though, if we don't trade him. Mills just isn't a pure PG, and we don't really need his scoring as much as we need good PG play. It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do in the coming months with those two. Nando, as some of you have said, is a security blanket. He has no chance of cracking the rotation otherwise.

Cojo is a future backup at best...

chazley
12-14-2013, 05:20 PM
lol @ saying Patty/CoJo being injured cost us the finals. One Manu FT/One Kawhi FT/Getting one of two defensive rebounds/One Lebron 3/One Ray Allen 3. If just ONE of those things does/doesn't happen we are hoisting a fifth banner. SHITTY LUCK cost us the title.

playblair
12-14-2013, 06:04 PM
cojo deserves the back up pg spot....................... mills will stop making 3's & he cant run the offense.................... cojo = ball movement/defense............ playcojo......................cojo can do what mills does better (backcourt steals)......................

Mikeanaro
12-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Patty Mills is like a thunder, he even loss some weight and always gives that energy to the game, Cojo is a scrub cant even make a shot.

Cry Havoc
12-14-2013, 06:53 PM
CoJo is severely underrated on here due to the board's (well deserved) love of Patty. I enjoy seeing CoJo play because he's a guy that's always going to come out and look for a shot if he's open. Sometimes the team needs that swagger.

Last night however, he stepped on the court, fouled a shooter in the act, and then settled for a horrible J early in the shot clock.

playblair
12-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Patty Mills is like a thunder, he even loss some weight and always gives that energy to the game, Cojo is a scrub cant even make a shot.

mills = situational player ............... cojo = true back up pg ......................

PlayNando
12-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Lol at either of them being the best backup PGs we've ever had. :lol

Speedy Claxton was better as was Beno, tbh.

Tuddy
12-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Mills is backup SG

look_at_g_shred
12-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I enjoy seeing CoJo play because he's a guy that's always going to come out and look for a shot if he's open..
lol what? The reason this dude doesn't get PT is cause he's too passive. I'm surprised he hasn't try to mold TP's game and get in the paint. He needs to learn the pick and roll game. It will evolve him as a player. Hell just look at what Reggie Jackson is doing.

Manufan909
12-16-2013, 07:20 PM
I almost overreacted as well, but then I realized that the game was against the Bucks. I don't want CJ traded, but I also don't want him playing much something happens to Tony or Mills... "knocks on wood"

jeebus
12-16-2013, 08:00 PM
CoJo is severely underrated on here due to the board's (well deserved) love of Patty. I enjoy seeing CoJo play because he's a guy that's always going to come out and look for a shot if he's open. Sometimes the team needs that swagger.

Last night however, he stepped on the court, fouled a shooter in the act, and then settled for a horrible J early in the shot clock.

Agreed. Cojo would be the backup PG if Manu/Marco weren't on the bench. Those two are the playmakers and all Patty has to do is shoot threes, get easy layups, or the occasional pullup jumper while making those awesome inbound steals.

In any case, it's been working all year so why change it? If Mills was a piece of shit who couldn't play defense or was just a shitty chucker aka a Neal, then yeah bench his ass.