PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone not agree that Mills/Marco/Manu/Diaw/Baynes should be the bench rotation?

SpursFan86
12-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I know it's a bit reactionary, but Baynes has looked like a damn solid backup big these past couple of games...and even if you aren't sold on him, I have a hard time seeing the argument for why Ayres deserves more playing time. Baynes is much more likely to improve as he gets more playing time and helps out with a weakness we've had for a while: rebounding. Baynes is a great matchup for teams like Minnesota and Houston.

Bonner should see playing time in certain matchups. He's useful for drawing opposing bigs out of the paint, but as we all know, he leaves a lot to be desired in basically every area of the game aside from shooting spot-up 3s.

Ayres/CoJo/De Colo should only get in during garbage time.

Anyone disagree about the state of our bench?

Arcadian
12-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah that sounds right. We have a solid 10 man rotation:

Parker/Mills
Green/Marco
Leonard/Manu
Duncan/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes

SpursRock20
12-14-2013, 11:23 PM
I agree. I believe that Ayres is playing his way out of any role that he has on this team. However, it probably helps that our new assistant coach is from Indiana, too. Don't forget for a moment that Boylan has some sort of an impact on Ayers' minutes. It sucks, but I get a sort of coach's son kind of vibe with Ayres. I guess we will have to wait and see once Tiago comes back to find if Pop will alter the rotations a bit. Baynes certainly deserves some playing time. If he could play about 10 minutes against teams like the Timberwolves (Pekovic) and the Warriors (Bogut) once the postseason hits, I see him paying dividends for us.

timmy2003
12-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Baynes is a decent player but Ayres is more athletic

SpursRock20
12-14-2013, 11:25 PM

No. Ayres can't even dunk the ball half the time.

jeebus
12-14-2013, 11:26 PM

:lmao

GB20
12-14-2013, 11:26 PM
:lol

SpursFan86
12-14-2013, 11:30 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see once Tiago comes back to find if Pop will alter the rotations a bit. Baynes certainly deserves some playing time.

I'll be upset if Splitter comes back and Baynes goes back to riding the bench all game. He's actually earned playing time. He looked poor early on in the season, but honestly I feel like he doesn't play as well when he's coming in during garbage time in situations that don't matter. He looks much better when he's just getting normal minutes. Meanwhile, Ayres has done practically everything possible to show he doesn't deserve playing time.

Baynes is sneakily athletic, and regardless, Ayres doesn't really put that athleticism to use. How many dunks has Ayres missed this year? Baynes is a better rebounder and much more of a presence in the paint (something that we need when Duncan/Splitter aren't on the court). Like I said, I'm having a hard time seeing why someone would rather Ayres get playing time over Baynes...especially this early on in the season. Why not give Baynes the chance to prove he's gotten better and can fill a legitimate role on the team? Not like losing a few games in December will be the end of us.

RD2191
:lmao

timmy2003
It really depends on matchup. Ayres is more suitable to guard quicker/athletic bigs (e.g. Griffin, Aldridge) but Baynes is perfect for Howard/Pekovic.

wildcardX
12-14-2013, 11:33 PM
That bench rotation looks good enough to hold their own with a few teams starting line ups. Also if Thomas can hit that 3pt shot consistently and play defense, he would maybe threaten to take all of either Bonner or Ayres minutes.

timmy2003
12-14-2013, 11:34 PM
I'll be upset if Splitter comes back and Baynes goes back to riding the bench all game. He's actually earned playing time. He looked poor early on in the season, but honestly I feel like he doesn't play as well when he's coming in during garbage time in situations that don't matter. He looks much better when he's just getting normal minutes. Meanwhile, Ayres has done practically everything possible to show he doesn't deserve playing time.

Baynes is sneakily athletic, and regardless, Ayres doesn't really put that athleticism to use. How many dunks has Ayres missed this year? Baynes is a better rebounder and much more of a presence in the paint (something that we need when Duncan/Splitter aren't on the court). Like I said, I'm having a hard time seeing why someone would rather Ayres get playing time over Baynes...especially this early on in the season. Why not give Baynes the chance to prove he's gotten better and can fill a legitimate role on the team? Not like losing a few games in December will be the end of us.

Agree that Baynes is a good defender in the paint but it makes more sense to pair Duncan with Ayres. But I like Baynes/Diaw comb.

jeebus
12-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Agree that Baynes is a good defender in the paint but it makes more sense to pair Duncan with Ayres. But I like Baynes/Diaw comb.

Fuck that. Duncan and Splitter with Bane and Diaw off the bench. Why the fuck would you bench Splitter?

Mel_13
12-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Fuck that. Duncan and Splitter with Bane and Diaw off the bench. Why the fuck would you bench Splitter?

Easy guy. He didn't say that Ayres should play ahead of Splitter. He implied that Duncan/Ayres starting with Baynes/Diaw off the bench was the best rotation in Splitter's absence.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Marco should join the starting lineup, Danny Greem is awful.

SpursFan86
12-14-2013, 11:53 PM

I've honestly thought about this, but I feel like Manu/Marco have really good chemistry together. Also, Marco coming off the bench gives us a 2nd guy who can step up and play the 6th man role if Manu is having an off night.

One more thing: I feel like if Green got benched his confidence would be shot, and he seems like the player who can't play for shit when he loses confidence.

playbonner15
12-14-2013, 11:54 PM
This made my day :rollin
But I see his point. Ayres can chase faster players especially when a switch happens.

SpursFan86
12-14-2013, 11:57 PM
This made my day :rollin
But I see his point. Ayres can chase faster players especially when a switch happens.

Yeah, while he worded it poorly, the point remains: Baynes is much less effective out on the perimeter when he's having to switch and keep up with people (especially given his poor endurance). So I sort of agree that the Duncan/Baynes pairing probably wouldn't be too effective against teams with mobile bigs.

RD2191
12-14-2013, 11:58 PM
I've honestly thought about this, but I feel like Manu/Marco have really good chemistry together. Also, Marco coming off the bench gives us a 2nd guy who can step up and play the 6th man role if Manu is having an off night.

One more thing: I feel like if Green got benched his confidence would be shot, and he seems like the player who can't play for shit when he loses confidence.

timmy2003
12-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Easy guy. He didn't say that Ayres should play ahead of Splitter. He implied that Duncan/Ayres starting with Baynes/Diaw off the bench was the best rotation in Splitter's absence.
Exactly

Mikeanaro
12-15-2013, 12:07 AM

:wakeup

tim_duncan_fan
12-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Baynes is so beast. He's a little lighter on his feet that I thought he was too.

Play the man, Pop!

mute
12-15-2013, 12:49 AM
No matter how off Green is (offensively), he should remain in the lineup for three reasons:

1) he's still our best defender after Kwahi and can effectively guard Stephen Curry, James Harden, and other athletic/smaller PG's and SG's
2) We don't need anymore scoring in the starting lineup (Green just needs to defend and stretch the defense on offense)
3) If we replace Beli with Green, Green basically becomes useless because he cannot offensively spark the 2nd unit/bench like Beli can

Bruno
12-15-2013, 01:19 AM
It's quite premature to give Baynes a rotation spot after two good games against bad teams (Toronto and Utah). It should just earned him some minutes in the next few games to prove himself but nothing more.

What likely isn't premature is to end the Ayres experiment. He start to have played a lot of minutes and he still sucks. If I'm Pop, I would give his minutes to Baynes and Thomas to see what I have in them. If both suck and if Spurs can't do some kind of trades, there is still the Bonner option.

aal04
12-15-2013, 01:50 AM
Ayers definitely looks more athletic when the standard dunk rattles out.

Baynes on the other hand just slams it home and theres no big rattle or big bounce off the inside of the ring.

AussieFanKurt
12-15-2013, 03:19 AM
It's quite premature to give Baynes a rotation spot after two good games against bad teams (Toronto and Utah). It should just earned him some minutes in the next few games to prove himself but nothing more.

What likely isn't premature is to end the Ayres experiment. He start to have played a lot of minutes and he still sucks. If I'm Pop, I would give his minutes to Baynes and Thomas to see what I have in them. If both suck and if Spurs can't do some kind of trades, there is still the Bonner option.

Exactly this. I want Baynes to play well since he's Aussie but can't over react and Ayres is just fucking poo

SpursFan86
12-15-2013, 07:08 AM

I know it's sort of premature, hence the "It's a bit reactionary" comment that prefaced my post, but you basically backed up what I'm saying with the second part of your post. It's not that I'm blown away by Baynes and think he's completely ready to play 15 mpg on a nightly basis. Rather, I think Ayres is clearly not the right guy to be playing, and as you said, I'm all in favor of giving his minutes to Baynes. I'd be fine with Thomas getting some burn too but I feel like it's pretty unlikely that he'll get called up from Austin and get minutes so quickly.

So right now it's either let Ayres keep playing 13 mpg, or split that in half and give the rest to Baynes/Bonner. Bonner is already getting 13 mpg himself, so I'd like Baynes to get more of the minutes Ayres would be losing.

Hoops Czar
12-15-2013, 07:44 AM
No. Ayres can't even dunk the ball half the time.

It doesn't take athleticism to Dunk a basketball. Ayres just stinks and he's only being exploitd more while he's out there against other starting units. The guy is a bonefied 3rd string/D-league big.

DrunkTXLabrat
12-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Im loving baynes right now! Baynes over ayers for sure. I dont know why it wasnt so, from game one.

Shastafarian
12-15-2013, 09:39 AM
It really depends on matchup. Ayres is more suitable to guard quicker/athletic bigs (e.g. Griffin, Aldridge) but Baynes is perfect for Howard/Pekovic.

I think this is right on. It seemed apparent to me Ayres was brought in for teams like Miami and GS that tend to go with smaller lineups.

Raven
12-15-2013, 09:57 AM
yeah i do not agree one bit tbh. We should look for a rotation that wouldn't hurt us in the PO instead of just looking to statpad the offense ratings in the regular season tbh. Not to mention, we should look to develop our young players with defensive potential for the post Duncan. I know it is nice to see a lot of points and whatever, but only D wins titles, so:
Tony, Green, Leonard, Duncan, Splitter
Joseph, Manu, X(where x stands for either Green or Leonard or a small ball lineup with Patty or Marco), Ayres/Diaw, Diaw/Baynes

cd021
12-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Defense?....

that shouldn't even be an option in the west.

Bruno
12-15-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd be fine with Thomas getting some burn too but I feel like it's pretty unlikely that he'll get called up from Austin and get minutes so quickly.

Thomas has already been called up from Toros.

Thomas contract becomes guaranteed for the year in early January. Looking at schedule, Spurs will play 11 games before his contract become guaranteed. So, if Spurs don't give him some playing time in some of these 11 games, their decision to keep him or not for the year will be only based on practices/D-League. Unless Spurs/Pop have already their mind set on Thomas, giving him some minutes in a short future seems logical.

SpursFan86
12-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Thomas has already been called up from Toros.

Thomas contract becomes guaranteed for the year in early January. Looking at schedule, Spurs will play 11 games before his contract become guaranteed. So, if Spurs don't give him some playing time in some of these 11 games, their decision to keep him or not for the year will be only based on practices/D-League. Unless Spurs/Pop have already their mind set on Thomas, giving him some minutes in a short future seems logical.

Oh really? How long ago?

Well hopefully we'll get to see something from him relatively soon. Seems like Splitter being out should make it more likely that he gets some minutes. Speaking of that...when is Splitter supposed to be back? He hasn't played in almost 2 weeks if you exclude that small stint he played against Indiana. I thought his injury was just "tightness" in his calf. Spurs just being careful or is it something a little more serious than we originally thought?

Jimcs50
12-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Jimcs50
12-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Spot on

jeebus
12-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Oh really? How long ago?

Well hopefully we'll get to see something from him relatively soon. Seems like Splitter being out should make it more likely that he gets some minutes. Speaking of that...when is Splitter supposed to be back? He hasn't played in almost 2 weeks if you exclude that small stint he played against Indiana. I thought his injury was just "tightness" in his calf. Spurs just being careful or is it something a little more serious than we originally thought?

I heard he was day to day at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back tomorrow imo.

Airs played against the same 2 bad teams and failed miserably. We all know Boner's ability and it seems Pop is kinda going away from him this season thank the Lord. That just leaves Bane, and he's at least shown up to play. The big test will be tomorrow against LA's bigs.

Jimcs50
12-15-2013, 12:10 PM
No matter how off Green is (offensively), he should remain in the lineup for three reasons:

1) he's still our best defender after Kwahi and can effectively guard Stephen Curry, James Harden, and other athletic/smaller PG's and SG's
2) We don't need anymore scoring in the starting lineup (Green just needs to defend and stretch the defense on offense)
3) If we replace Beli with Green, Green basically becomes useless because he cannot offensively spark the 2nd unit/bench like Beli can

This is quote I agreed with, not previous one.

will_spurs
12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

This. Danny Green is a liability right now, he's only worth 5 fouls.

And Baynes > Ayres, that's quite obvious.

spurs10
12-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah that sounds right. We have a solid 10 man rotation:

Parker/Mills
Green/Marco
Leonard/Manu
Duncan/Diaw
Splitter/Baynes This seems right to me, with Bonner playing a bit. In the thick of it, like the playoffs, we are likely to see the rotation shortened to 3 bigs. Is it possible that Pop sees Ayres as a substitution for Tiago and sees Baynes in the second unit? Much like putting CoJo in for Tony as a starter, he didn't want to distrupt the second units chemistry? At least Ayres has gotten some rebounds lately.

mingus
12-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Danny Green's usefulness will show against teams with a lot of perimeter/ball handler threats because of his defense. Last year his D was a big reason we got past GS and took Miami to game 7. Teams are aren't leaving him open anymore which sucks for us because he doesn't have a counter move, but you can still stick him on a Curry/Wade and he'll help in that regard. I think his role is more situational than last year. Against some teams he shouldn't see much playing time, but against others he should. It sucks because that can affect team continuity, but he's just not a viable option against some teams.

Baam
12-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Danny Green's usefulness will show against teams with a lot of perimeter/ball handler threats because of his defense. Last year his D was a big reason we got past GS and took Miami to game 7. Teams are aren't leaving him open anymore which sucks for us because he doesn't have a counter move, but you can still stick him on a Curry/Wade and he'll help in that regard. I think his role is more situational than last year. Against some teams he shouldn't see much playing time, but against others he should. It sucks because that can affect team continuity, but he's just not a viable option against some teams.

He wasnt good on Wade actually, hes mostly good against small PGs. Wade looked done against Stephenson in the ECF but was much better in the Finals.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-16-2013, 02:47 AM

:lol Ayers lover

your ship is sinking, sir.

KL2
12-16-2013, 03:14 AM
I'm not even sure Ayres is an NBA quality player, he's that bad. Pop is doing everything he can to get this guy going and Ayres simply isn't responding. He can't defend, can't rebound, can't even dunk, they're giving him minutes, playing him, giving him the ball in positions to score easy points and he still can't do anything. The only thing he can do is set screens and run the floor.

Can you imagine this guy on some other team where he's not surrounded by guys like Manu/TD/TP/Leonard/Belli etc, being coached by one of the best in the game? Because I sure as hell can't. Spurs are wasting valuable playing time they could be using to develop a guy like Baynes.

timmy2003
12-16-2013, 09:26 AM
He wasnt good on Wade actually, hes mostly good against small PGs. Wade looked done against Stephenson in the ECF but was much better in the Finals.

True. Wade was pretty efficient in the final

look_at_g_shred
12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
True. Wade was pretty efficient in the final
If we were to face Miami again, I don't think we change the strategy we had against them last year. They just seemed to catch fire in Game 7. Seeing as Belinelli is a better defender than Neal was, he should do fine against Allen/Battier.