PDA

View Full Version : Trading Beno Udrih?

timvp
07-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Personally, I want Beno to remain a Spur. But I'm hearing a lot of talking indicating that the Spurs would be willing to deal Beno. Perhaps the coaching staff soured on him at some point. Who knows?

If they do, what are some trades that you'd accept for Beno? Most likely, the Spurs would be getting a veteran PG in return.

Here are some trades that would deal Udrih and bring back a more veteran point guard:

Beno Udrih + Linton Johnson for Anthony Johnson.
The Pacers really wanted Beno in the draft last season. He was the player they targeted with the last pick in the first round. With the addition of Sarunas Jasikevicius, the Pacers need to move a point guard. Perhaps they'd want to bring in Beno as a young prospect for the future. Johnson is 31 years old and is coming off of his best season. He averaged 8.4 points, 4.8 assists and was 13th in the league in assists to turnovers.

Beno Udrih + Fillers (or Devin Brown) for Speedy Claxton
Claxton is in the last year of his deal. Spurs fans know what he can do. If the Hornets want to open the door for Chris Paul, trading Speedy makes sense.

Beno Udrih + Luis Scola for Jameer Nelson
The Spurs wanted Nelson in the draft last summer. They almost traded up to get him. If he would have fallen one more pick, he would have been a Spur. With the Magic signing Keyon Dooling and saying they aren't going to trade Francis, perhaps that makes Nelson expendable. The Magic also have another forward playing in the Spanish league, so getting Scola would just add to their collection.

Beno Udrih + Devin Brown for Chucky Atkins and a first round pick
This is more of a reach. Atkins has one more year left on his contract and could be a decent backup. It'd be giving away a lot but the Wizards are interested in Devin and don't have a backup point guard (depending on how they use AD). The Spurs would do it to get a good first round pick and a player who can fill in at point for a year.

Marcus Bryant
07-29-2005, 04:35 PM
The only problem that comes to mind with Udrih is his ability to bring the ball up against pressure. Other than that, I was quite impressed with him last season.

ducks
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM

I like deal if he would be ok with 10-12 minutes a game

clubalien
07-29-2005, 04:42 PM
i would trade him but not any of those trades

clubalien
07-29-2005, 04:44 PM
oh ust relieased filler OR devin it wasn't devin

yeah i woudl do
beno for speedy claxton and throw in a 2nbd round pick
also i think snow might be a good vetran point gaurd to look at

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-29-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm suprised that the Spurs would be willing to deal him. Granted he looked like a rookie during the playoffs, but he really surprised me during the regular season. The Jameer Nelson deal sounds interesting but otherwise I'd rather see him still in a Spurs jersey. I've never really liked Chucky Atkins, and I don't know much about Johnson. Claxton basically left the Spurs in search of more money and minutes? Would he be willing to come back in and do essentially what he was doing the first time around?

ducks
07-29-2005, 04:47 PM
speedy can not hit a three
atleast with beno you can count on that
speedy was needed when facing marbarry but that happens 2 times now a year

samikeyp
07-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Maybe Nelson and not for two players, but otherwise none of those other scenarios appeal to me.

timvp
07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm all for keeping Beno, but I've now heard three credible trades that have been shot down involving him. Perhaps the Spurs are trying to trade him.

Perhaps not.

ducks
07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Linton Johnson has a team option and basically the spurs have boughten more time with him but ludden says he is history

clubalien
07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
obviously there was to much fan confusion over who was nazr and who was linton

Duncan21
07-29-2005, 05:10 PM
i wouldn't trade him, i really like him

smeagol
07-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Beno needs more experience. He is a decent PG back-up. I would not trade him.

diego
07-29-2005, 05:20 PM
of those options speedy is clearly the best

first and foremost he knows the org, the pressure, the most important players, and best of all, pop and his system (argue however you like what that system is).

and on top of that his contract is up at the end of the year. if he is going to be playing second fiddle on a bad team during a contract year, wouldnt he rather do it winning a championship?

I like beno's offensive game, but I dont think he is well rounded enough to be truly special. and if he really is worth keeping the spurs probably wouldnt be able to afford him. so might as well make a trade while his stock is high and give yourself flexibility. I'd do a speedy for beno+brown trade (and maybe try to get them to throw in a second round pick).

clubalien
07-29-2005, 05:22 PM
this guy hits the three which i like but pop letting him get trapped multiple teams in playoffs was stupid

Dre_7
07-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Get Devin Harris! Beno and LJIII for Harris!

Harris will be a star!

timvp
07-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Harris is a bust. He sucked last year and sucked in summer league. Sorry, mang.

But that's what happens when the Mavs tried to draft "the American Tony Parker".

Oops.

clubalien
07-29-2005, 05:29 PM
nash was my favorite mav

Manu20
07-29-2005, 05:38 PM
The Spurs wanted Nelson in the draft last summer. They almost traded up to get him. If he would have fallen one more pick, he would have been a Spur. With the Magic signing Keyon Dooling and saying they aren't going to trade Francis, perhaps that makes Nelson expendable. The Magic also have another forward playing in the Spanish league, so getting Scola would just add to their collection.

That would be a really good trade for the Spurs but personally I would like to see Beno back next year.

picnroll
07-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I heard of the rumor of Beno for Jarrett Jack. What other trade proposals were made?

Mr. Body
07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't like any of those trades. The Udrih + Scola for Jameer Nelson looks especially avoidable. I'm not sure Nelson's better than either one of them.

The rest all involve guards not as talented or having as much potential as Udrih. I'm going on the books as a Beno supporter. He needs to figure out how to handle it against quick, pestering guards, otherwise he has a fine package of skills. He has a very nice mid-range shot, already hits the long ball well, has the balls to drive against tough competition, and has a great court sense as well as having the mentality of a quarterback-type point guard. In addition, he has good size and has shown to be a pretty good defender already.

No sweat. This guy will have lots of fans by the end of next season. Our guards are going to kill. (Also, increasingly, Pop will recognize this team needs to run more.)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-29-2005, 06:03 PM
LJ, what are the other deals?

Jameer is the only one I'd take of those you listed up above.

I don't know why we'd want to trade for Speedy, he'd just up and leave again in pursuit of that mythical starting job he wanted back in '03.

T Park
07-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Id trade for Speedy, and I think the losing seasons have humbled him.

Second trade I would do would be for Jameer Nelson.

Nelson will be a stud.

TexasAggie2005
07-29-2005, 06:19 PM
I think Beno has too much potential for us to be trading him (and an additional player) for only a backup point guard. If we're dealing with pressure situations and Pop doesn't feel comfortable with Beno, then Barry and Manu make a decent ball-handling backcourt. Give Beno a couple years. Jameer Nelson is the only player listed I might want, and I think what we'd be giving up in that trade is too much.

Dre_7
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM

But that's what happens when the Mavs tried to draft "the American Tony Parker".

Oops.

One year and you are already callin him a bust?! We shall see!!

Spurologist
07-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I personally think beno is the perfect backup for Tony. Tony likes taking it inside and creating havic. When Beno comes, the spurs show a different look on offense to spread the floor more. Beno's crisp outsides jump shots complement tp's driving ability. Beno was only a rookie and I think many forgot that. With a year under his belt with the team, I see him making improvements in his game.

The thing that stood out about Beno was obviously his inability to move the ball up against pressure, but I think that can be solved. When he's in the game and there's heavy ball pressure, his teammates have to help out a little bit. It shouldn't be all up to him. The best way to beat pressure is passing not dribbling into 3 people while fading out of bounds. His teammates have to spread the floor for passing lanes. If all else fails please just give the damn ball to Manu.

Beno should stay IMO

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm all for keeping Beno...

Me too!
...Perhaps the Spurs are trying to trade him.

I really hope not!

JUUOT
07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
many times during the year we have seen and answered the question or likes:

"how does beno compare to TP?" "beno>>>tp" or opposite

the answer from reasonable poster...they know theirself was that tony and Beno have a really nice complementory game. they are a 1/2 shot that could be devastating for opponent. the only question mark is beno improvement. Some think his pressure problem in the finals could cost him. I personnaly think he si too much a complement and a good fit to tony to let him go. he si 23 and a rookie. tony used to do this too.
i do not say they would refuse trades (tony /kidd story) if they see an opportunity but i dont see a reason to shop Beno

Supreme Allah
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM

Oops.

He was a rookie last year, you can expect someone to come on to a team STACKED in the guard position and get enough playing time to do well. He won rookie of the week at least once for sure.

And next person to use the summer league argument needs to be hit. Summer leagues mean NOTHING. LeBron had a terrible summer league his rookie year and look what he did.

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I can't decide which is worse... being left in the dark about Spurs offseason moves or constantly having to hear all the various upsetting trade rumors that are floating around.

First Rasho. :depressed :depressed And now Beno too?????? :depressed

I am seriously going to cry!

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

How much longer do I have to be brave?

T Park
07-29-2005, 07:57 PM
:rolleyes

spurster
07-29-2005, 09:34 PM
You need to be patient with a young PG, but I wouldn't complain about a trade for a decent backup veteran PG.

SequSpur
07-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Beno sucks.

Rick Von Braun
07-29-2005, 09:43 PM
I would not trade Beno. I would wait one year to see how things evolve, and take it from there.

exstatic
07-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Jameer Nelson - 68% FT shooter. It's inevitable. :lol

wildbill2u
07-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Practice, practice, practice and you too can learn to beat the press.

Merlin
07-29-2005, 10:42 PM
He's a very good 3 point shooter and a nice compliment to Parker. He might end up being better than Parker. Too early to tell right now but Beno has to be able to handle the pressure better. He was a NBA rookie last year although I believe he and Parker are the same age. No way I would trade Beno because he hasn't reached his potential and his trade value is not very high. We'll watch him and Parker for the next couple of years and then we can talk about it.

MI21
07-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Beno has potential and I was very surprised at how well he played last season..

That said, I would prefer to have an experienced backup PG throughout Tim Duncan's prime considering our starting PG is still young. The Spurs don't need to develop anymore young PG's because that is exactly what they are doing with Parker, who is better than Beno will ever be. So if the right deal was on the table, I would be all for it.

baseline bum
07-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Early in the season the offense looked amazing with Beno running the point, but he hit the rookie wall and never came back up. The potential is there, but my answer to the question is I don't really like any of those trades, and I don't like Beno as the backup point either. Brent Barry should be the backup point next season, with Devin playing backup 2 if he's brought back.

Sense
07-30-2005, 03:16 AM
The Pacers really wanted Beno in the draft last season. He was the player they targeted with the last pick in the first round. With the addition of Sarunas Jasikevicius, the Pacers need to move a point guard. Perhaps they'd want to bring in Beno as a young prospect for the future. Johnson is 31 years old and is coming off of his best season. He averaged 8.4 points, 4.8 assists and was 13th in the league in assists to turnovers.

I wouldn't mind this.

IX_Equilibrium
07-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Trading Beno would be a mistake.

WalterBenitez
07-30-2005, 07:46 AM
IMO, Spurs don't need to trade him, he needs experience, I know ... I know the questions about him under pressure but he was in his rookie season.

When TP is not having a good night, we could go with him or try to make some experiments with Brent or Manu.

Spurs need to develop him not to trade him (not even for Speedy, but if you put Kidd in the equation, that's another issue).

boutons
07-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Beno is good enough to be a solid backup, but not yet good enough to go Speedy on us, and want to leave to be a starter (Speedy is now fighting for PT at bottom-dweller NO).

Beno is one of my big questions for next season. Is what we've seen all there is will be to Beno in the NBA, or was his decent NBA rookie performance (but he's a FIBA veteran), including credible hustle on defense, still impacted by adjusting to the NBA/USA?

Will he grow/mature enough to run the Spurs (or any team) as starting PG for a couple weeks when Tony turns an ankle?

WalterBenitez
07-30-2005, 09:24 AM
How much longer do I have to be brave?

You know, till the first game I think :drunk

xcoriate
07-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't do any of those trades. I feel were best off:

1. Keeping Beno
2. Packaging Scola (if we decide to go that route) with a big to get a SF

We have a young backup for 3 more years along with a vet who can play point. Oh, and Manu who can play point at a stretch as well. We dont need to change any of them or bring in another vet.

Oh and finally Harris is a bust :smokin

BigVee
07-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I agree with many and would give Beno one more year to see if he can adjust to the NBA. I think he was simply not ready for what he saw in the playoffs and then it started to play with his head. He has that experience under his belt and this is the year we find out about him. No more rookie rationale. Hate to lose that outside shot, something the Spurs tend to need once and awhile.

Rescueone
07-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Beno will be fine next season. If you recall, Parker had a terrible first year as well adjusting to the NBA. We all were talking the same "trade parker now" demands that first year. Especially when J kidd was considering joining the Spurs. Now that Beno has gotten his "feet wet" and knows what it takes to suceed, he will be a decent back up next year. I wouldn't trade him, for any of the above players. Beno will be great next year!

Kamnik
07-30-2005, 11:02 AM
mark my words.....

Beno is not going anywhere.

He plays for small money and he is more than a decent back up for TP.

Beno's market value could double in 1 year so i dont think Spurs will trade him. (at least not this season)

picnroll
07-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Beno better be working his ass off this summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Brent Barry should be the backup point next season, with Devin playing backup 2 if he's brought back.

Exactly. Which makes Beno expendable.

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Beno is not untradeable but I believe you only move him if you can get a clear improvement. In my mind, that's an Earl Watson (and we know that's not likely to happen).

If the Spurs have soured on Beno, I'd like to know why. Other than maintaining control of the rock under pressure he's great. Yes, that is a major concern for a point, but it's something I believe he can improve. He's under an inexpensive rookie contract as well. I wonder what the concern might be.

picnroll
07-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Beno has trouble brining the ball up against pressure and unless he gets a long outlet pass, which teams took away after they saw his game forcing him to bring the ball up, he's relatively slow getting the Spurs into their offense. Also after some initial success teams completely took away his penetration in the half court.

Matiz
07-31-2005, 05:06 AM
Beno has trouble brining the ball up against pressure ...
And Parker doesn't? especially when facing Billups...

spursupporter
07-31-2005, 05:12 AM
beno just a rookie and he was playing against detroit----one of the most defend-minded team in the league.

give him more chances.

picnroll
07-31-2005, 07:53 AM
And Parker doesn't? especially when facing Billups...
Absolutey none. Probably no body in the league does a better job of bringing the ball up court, beating any kind of press.

cecil collins
07-31-2005, 08:19 AM
I just hope they don't force a trade. Beno is not exciting or flashy, but definitely a solid backup. If Tony got hurt, would I be comfortable with Beno as the starter? No, but he will improve with time, and is a good fit with the team. My personal favorite trade scenario was Jameer Nelson, as he may be happy in a backup role. As a side note, I hope the team picks up Darren Brooks as the third point guard.

Merlin
07-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Absolutey none. Probably no body in the league does a better job of bringing the ball up court, beating any kind of press.

At times thats about all he does. TP can dominate a game and then just disappear from another especially in the playoffs. Same thing happened last year against the Lakers. Did it again against Detroit. Not to mention that he was a defensive liability.

Frenchise player
07-31-2005, 10:07 AM
At times thats about all he does. TP can dominate a game and then just disappear from another especially in the playoffs. Same thing happened last year against the Lakers. Did it again against Detroit. Not to mention that he was a defensive liability.
What you say is true but you have to consider that being the PG, he has to defer to Duncan and Manu. That's why he disapear sometimes from the games.
Inconsistency is his major problem, but we all hope here that he will resolve it within the next few years and become one of the elite PG in the league.
He has really improved in defense and he can't be considered anymore as a liability. His defense is really good now but he can't compete with Bowen or Manu yet. In the last playoffs, I thought that he did a good job against Miller after the first game and Ridnour. But his greatest achievement was against Nash.
Nash was playing increadibily well against Dallas and for the first two games in Phoenix but Tony tired him and Steve wasn't as effective in the fourth of both games and that's a big reason why San Antonio won both of these games.

lakehorn
07-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Personally I like Beno's upside a big point guard who may give Tonya run for his starting position in a couple of years. Beno is a better passer than Tony and with his size will be able to guard bigger point guards such as Chauncey Billups. He was a rookie last year so let's give him a break and let him gain some experience over the next few years.

The Spurs already have there backup point guard for next year in Brent Barry. Brent was Seattle's starting point guard when he played for them and Pop played him at point against Detroit after Beno's meltdown.

The Spurs need to find a serviceable small forward for Bruce to groom as his replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce ends up being on our coaching staff after his playing career is over. Linton Johnson's problem last year was his tentativeness when he came back from injury. Linton was going to be Bruce's replacement but he played to tentative for our coaching staff.

Just my two cents.

Clandestino
07-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Beno Udrih for a case of Union Pivo.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 11:41 AM
I just love this. Does no one remember 2003-2004? Let me remind you. Charlie Ward, Anthony Carter, Shane Heal, Alex Garcia, Jason Hart. None of those guys is as good as Beno, and their collective incompetence probably kept us from celebrating a 3 peat this year. Beno isn't going to be an All Star, but then again, we don't need him to be. He needs to be able to run the offense for 12-15 minutes per game, and knock down jumpers, and he can do both of those things. Beno wasn't the only one getting the ball swiped by Hunter. They actually had a strategy in place where Tony would be the only one to bring the ball up against him. If Manu and Brent were in the game, whoever was NOT being guarded by Hunter brought the ball up. Beno showed me a hell of a lot for a rookie.

Clandestino
07-31-2005, 12:41 PM
I just love this. Does no one remember 2003-2004? Let me remind you. Charlie Ward, Anthony Carter, Shane Heal, Alex Garcia, Jason Hart. None of those guys is as good as Beno, and their collective incompetence probably kept us from celebrating a 3 peat this year. Beno isn't going to be an All Star, but then again, we don't need him to be. He needs to be able to run the offense for 12-15 minutes per game, and knock down jumpers, and he can do both of those things. Beno wasn't the only one getting the ball swiped by Hunter. They actually had a strategy in place where Tony would be the only one to bring the ball up against him. If Manu and Brent were in the game, whoever was NOT being guarded by Hunter brought the ball up. Beno showed me a hell of a lot for a rookie.

it wasn't just in the finals that he was fucking up.. try the whole second half of the season...

exstatic
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Whatever. He played 14 minutes per game, shot 44% from the field, 41% from downtown, and his asst/TO ratio was 2/1. Good enough in my book for a second stringer on the Spurs, and not bad for a rookie. As for late in the season, it's called the rookie wall, and many players hit it. If he works on his conditioning, he should be more than adequate to the job. Remember the year before...

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 01:13 PM
If he works on his conditioning, he should be more than adequate to the job.

Yes. I think his conditioning was a big part of it. He looked in worse shape in the middle of the season than he was in training camp. I hope they keep Beno. But if the right deal came along for someone good and they needed to include him in a package, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Clandestino
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Whatever. He played 14 minutes per game, shot 44% from the field, 41% from downtown, and his asst/TO ratio was 2/1. Good enough in my book for a second stringer on the Spurs, and not bad for a rookie. As for late in the season, it's called the rookie wall, and many players hit it. If he works on his conditioning, he should be more than adequate to the job. Remember the year before...

w/o beno the spurs would've still won the title this year.. no doubt about it... he didn't bring a whole lot late in the season, nor anything in the playoffs except some crucial turnovers...

exstatic
07-31-2005, 03:14 PM
I hope they keep Beno. But if the right deal came along for someone good and they needed to include him in a package, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
I don't disagree with this. What I disagree with is the Beno for a bag of chips crowd.

T Park
07-31-2005, 04:23 PM
w/o beno the spurs would've still won the title this year.. no doubt about it... he didn't bring a whole lot late in the season, nor anything in the playoffs except some crucial turnovers

Spurs don't win game 3 vs Denver without his great game.

Moron.

Mr. Body
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM
I think his conditioning was a big part of it. He looked in worse shape in the middle of the season than he was in training camp.

Why is Beno suddenly exempt from the rookie wall? It certainly had an effect.

People blame him for the Game 1 loss against Denver for his goof at the end of the half. It was his over-reliance on the behind-the back move to clear halfcourt, and the Nuggets freely admitted they studied him closely and expected it. He's smart enough and has a smart enough coaching staff to find other, quicker, more reliable ways of getting himself free. He didn't lose the game, anyway; it was lackluster game all around for the team.

Beno is, as others have said, easily the best backup we've had since Speedy, and I personally have little doubt he'll be better with some more seasoning. Next year I expect him to make people very happy.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Why is Beno suddenly exempt from the rookie wall? It certainly had an effect.

He's not. Of course that had an effect. But reports were that he got more out of shape as the season progressed and was really struggling, so his trainer from Slovenia was flown in to get him back on track.

Beno is, as others have said, easily the best backup we've had since Speedy, and I personally have little doubt he'll be better with some more seasoning. Next year I expect him to make people very happy.

I think he's better than Speedy. Speedy had a couple good playoff games and Spurs fans anointed him. I like Beno better because he has a better long-range shot and sees the floor very well. I think he'll be a great backup in a couple years. I'm just saying if an awesome deal came along and he had to be thrown in to make it work, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I don't think the Spurs should be (or are) actively shopping him though.

T Park
07-31-2005, 05:16 PM
People blame him for the Game 1 loss against Denver

If true, then credit him slightly with the Game 3 win, Like I said.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 06:18 PM
I think he's better than Speedy. Speedy had a couple good playoff games and Spurs fans anointed him.

That's true. I liked Speedy, but he only played 30 games that year, while Beno played 80 this past season. Speedy's biggest knock, and the reason I was shocked that he got that contract, has been his injury history. In four full seasons, he's only played 219 games. That's an average of a hair under 55 games played per year.

Mr. Body
07-31-2005, 06:19 PM
He's not. Of course that had an effect. But reports were that he got more out of shape as the season progressed and was really struggling, so his trainer from Slovenia was flown in to get him back on track.

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. I hope his committment to basketball wasn't waning and it was, instead, something like a first fascination with American fast food or something.

timvp
07-31-2005, 06:38 PM
That's true. I liked Speedy, but he only played 30 games that year, while Beno played 80 this past season. Speedy's biggest knock, and the reason I was shocked that he got that contract, has been his injury history. In four full seasons, he's only played 219 games. That's an average of a hair under 55 games played per year.

It's even worse when you consider that he missed his entire rookie season with an injury. So it's really 219 games in five seasons.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
That's true, LJ. I had forgotten about that lost season. OK, Speedy is then a 44 games per year player.

wildbill2u
07-31-2005, 08:27 PM

In addition to the fabled 'rookie wall' I wonder how much of his deterioration in conditioning was caused by the fact that he was getting much fewer minutes than he was used to as a starter in the foreign league. Going from a full time player to one that gets sporadic minutes has got to play hell with your conditioning. Practice is simply not like games.

Merlin
07-31-2005, 10:08 PM
What you say is true but you have to consider that being the PG, he has to defer to Duncan and Manu. That's why he disapear sometimes from the games.
Inconsistency is his major problem, but we all hope here that he will resolve it within the next few years and become one of the elite PG in the league.
He has really improved in defense and he can't be considered anymore as a liability. His defense is really good now but he can't compete with Bowen or Manu yet. In the last playoffs, I thought that he did a good job against Miller after the first game and Ridnour. But his greatest achievement was against Nash.
Nash was playing increadibily well against Dallas and for the first two games in Phoenix but Tony tired him and Steve wasn't as effective in the fourth of both games and that's a big reason why San Antonio won both of these games.

When I said that defensively that TP was a liability, that is only against certain point guards like a Billups for example. He did what he wanted to do against Parker for pretty much the whole series. Billups struggled in the last game but Bowen had a lot to do with that.

Horry For 3!
08-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Personally, I want Beno to remain a Spur. But I'm hearing a lot of talking indicating that the Spurs would be willing to deal Beno. Perhaps the coaching staff soured on him at some point. Who knows?

If they do, what are some trades that you'd accept for Beno? Most likely, the Spurs would be getting a veteran PG in return.

Here are some trades that would deal Udrih and bring back a more veteran point guard:

Beno Udrih + Fillers (or Devin Brown) for Speedy Claxton
Claxton is in the last year of his deal. Spurs fans know what he can do. If the Hornets want to open the door for Chris Paul, trading Speedy makes sense.

Beno Udrih + Devin Brown for Chucky Atkins and a first round pick
This is more of a reach. Atkins has one more year left on his contract and could be a decent backup. It'd be giving away a lot but the Wizards are interested in Devin and don't have a backup point guard (depending on how they use AD). The Spurs would do it to get a good first round pick and a player who can fill in at point for a year.

Anthony Johnson - he is okay but getting too old and he isn't that great. No
Speedy Claxton - he is a good player in which we know we used to have him, he didn't want to sign back with us and why should we lose Beno & Devin for him. Fuck no
Jameer Nelson - he played pretty decent last year when he was the pg but that was the East. he also had tons of tos and can't play defense worth shit because he is like 5 feet tall. No thanks
Chucky Atkins & 1st round pick - Chucky Atkins is horrible, one word NO. 1st round pick...we're just starting over again trying to find another pg like Beno. NO

Therefore through my opionions the answer to all this would be...FUCK NO ok, thanks.

SWC Bonfire
08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Beno's trade value plummeted after the finals, deserved or not.

yavozerb
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
My ideal trade would be Rasho and Beno for Andre Iguodola from the sixers!!If only the sixers dalembert wouldnt have sighned, who knows!!!I will also take either of the Josh's from Atl...

1Parker1
08-01-2005, 12:56 PM
No way the Sixers would have traded Andre Iguodala for Rasho and Beno........they think Andre is going to be the future of the Sixers franchise.

valluco
08-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Trading Beno could be a mistake. He is a solid back up and he will improve his play in the postseason. Remember he was a rookie after all, and after experincing the level of play and pressure in the playoffs along with Pop's teachings he's going to be even better. The Spurs should keep him.

CaptainLate
08-01-2005, 05:43 PM

He was fine for a rookie. I think we can get more for him (high 1st Rounder) after a 2nd year of seasoning under our system. So I'd wait another year.

CaptainLate
08-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Jameer Nelson - 68% FT shooter. It's inevitable. :lol

LMAO. Agreed. However, let's wait till the All-Star deadline. I think we can get more.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-01-2005, 05:53 PM
My ideal trade would be Rasho and Beno for Andre Iguodola from the sixers!!If only the sixers dalembert wouldnt have sighned, who knows

My ideal trade would be LeBron for Linton and Wilks, doesn't mean it has a prayer of happening.

Even if the Sixers hadn't re-signed Sam, they still wouldn't have been sending out Andre to the Spurs (not without one of Tony or Manu going back, anyway).

CaptainLate
08-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Beno will be fine next season. If you recall, Parker had a terrible first year as well adjusting to the NBA. We all were talking the same "trade parker now" demands that first year. Especially when J kidd was considering joining the Spurs. Now that Beno has gotten his "feet wet" and knows what it takes to suceed, he will be a decent back up next year. I wouldn't trade him, for any of the above players. Beno will be great next year!

Right...and after 4 years TP is still freezing up in the playoffs. I think we should at least give BU another year in the playoffs.

Ocotillo
08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
If Beno were to be traded he would have to have another player shipped off with him because he doesn't make all that much money in the scheme of things.

timvp
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM
On local radio today, Don Harris said that he gets the feeling from RC and Pop that they don't think that Beno is the answer as the backup point guard. I've been getting the same feeling.

I think there is something to this. Perhaps it's an off the floor issue that we are unaware of. Perhaps the Spurs doubt his competitiveness or his heart or something like that. Who knows...

But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that Beno will not be the team's backup point guard going into next season. It'll shock Spurs fans but I sense something happening.

T Park
08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
It wouldn't shock me.

His lack of speed is what kills him.

What speedy claxton had going for him speed, had a good mid range shot, but could get to the rim quite easily.

I don't like it, but I can see their point of view.

Mr. Body
08-03-2005, 09:33 PM
But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that Beno will not be the team's backup point guard going into next season. It'll shock Spurs fans but I sense something happening.

It'd certainly shock me.

angel_luv
08-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Are you saying the Spurs will trade Beno or keep him to play minutes like Mike Wilks did last year?

Marcus Bryant
08-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Perhaps the Spurs are using this as motivation to get Beno to work on something they'd like for him to...

T Park
08-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I would think, if you aint got speed, you can't work on it.

T Park
08-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Are you saying the Spurs will trade Beno or keep him to play minutes like Mike Wilks did last year?

I think hes saying hes going to get traded, or maybe packaged with Nesterovic.

Wich makes sense, and if it returns a great player? Do it.

Especially to a team like New Orleans for a Speedy Claxton David West combination.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
If the spurs lose Beno, it will be one dumb ass move. You dont get PGs coming to you in the draft everyday. they need to be developed. name me a PG who walked in and took over the entire team in his first year? I mean dominated and led his team. Make a list. Id love to see who we can come up with.

angel_luv
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=T Park]I think hes saying hes going to get traded, or maybe packaged with Nesterovic.[QUOTE]

:( about both!

T Park
08-03-2005, 10:31 PM
name me a PG who walked in and took over the entire team in his first year

Tony Parker.

Didn't totally take over, but walked in and started from day 1.
Jason Kidd
Gary Payton.....

ObiwanGinobili
08-03-2005, 10:36 PM

agreed.

Clandestino
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
just about any PG can play half a season well... and finish like a chode.. beno couldn't even bring the damn ball up the court w/o losing.. screw him, the offer for a case of union pivo(slovenian beer) still stands!

Mr. Body
08-04-2005, 12:38 AM
If the spurs lose Beno, it will be one dumb ass move.

I agree. Back-ups in the league I'd rather have than him is a rather short list.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Tony Parker.

Didn't totally take over, but walked in and started from day 1.
Jason Kidd
Gary Payton.....

correct me if Im wrong. but Parker didnt start from day 1. Im talking about a PG who dominated from day 1.

Parker
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFFDEFRPGAPGSPG BPG TO PF PPG
01-02 SAS 77 72 29.4 .419 .323 .675 .4 2.1 2.6 4.3 1.16 .09 1.96 2.20 9.2

JKidd
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFFDEFRPGAPG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
94-95 DAL 79 79 33.8 .385 .272 .698 1.9 3.5 5.4 7.7 1.91 .30 3.16 1.80 11.7

Gary Payton dominated? U gotta be kidding me.
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT%OFFDEFRPGAPG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
90-91 SEA 82 82 27.4 .450 .077 .711 1.3 1.6 3.0 6.4 2.01 .18 2.20 3.00 7.2

Seriously, I dont see how comparing those stats those 2 dominated. Tell me otherwise.

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-04-2005, 05:37 AM
just about any PG can play half a season well... and finish like a chode.. beno couldn't even bring the damn ball up the court w/o losing.. screw him, the offer for a case of union pivo(slovenian beer) still stands!

Well we all complain about how TParker chokes come playoff time for 4 years already. And we cant give Beno a 2nd season. Tsk Tsk...

xcoriate
08-04-2005, 06:11 AM
How many players come into the league and "dominate" off the bat??

Shaq, TD, LeBron, AI...

Let alone at PG the hardest position to play well on the court IMO.

That said a point guard that can come in and distribute well and score a little are hard to come by recent examples...

TJ Ford before injury
Hinrich

Next year...
Williams
Paul

FoxMulder
08-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Trade Beno will be a real mistake he is the only real point guard in the team.
He is young and this year will be better than last season...

No way... the roster is Ok just how it is maybe the Spurs need more an Small Forward to backup Bowen.

wildbill2u
08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Beno may not match up well against really fast guards, but then again, who does? The advantage is always with the player making the first step/move. Sometimes smart beats fast but it takes experience.

Beno played allright. Will probably never make a starting PG, but there are lots of permanent second bananas in the NBA. Is he tradeable? Sure, everyone but TD is tradeable.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Trade Beno will be a real mistake he is the only real point guard in the team.
He is young and this year will be better than last season...

No way... the roster is Ok just how it is maybe the Spurs need more an Small Forward to backup Bowen.

I agree with you there. I think he did a good job backing up Parker last year, and actually bailed him out a couple of games when Tony went into his occasional sleepwalking spells. The guy is only going to get better.

I'd like to have continuity at the point for a couple of seasons. Keep Beno. Extend Nazr. Sign Glenn Robinson or get another small forward to backup Bruce. Then stop tinkering.

Rescueone
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
How many players come into the league and "dominate" off the bat??

Shaq, TD, LeBron, AI...

Let alone at PG the hardest position to play well on the court IMO.

That said a point guard that can come in and distribute well and score a little are hard to come by recent examples...

TJ Ford before injury
Hinrich

Next year...
Williams
Paul

You forgot KGarnett