PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Terrible season so far

davethedope
12-16-2013, 02:56 AM
wtf is going on? 2 teams in the east have records over .500

8 teams in the west with records over .500.

At this rate is there really any reason to watch till the playoffs starts, maybe even the finals.

I know the NBA has been marked by lack of parity for stretches, but there's always been a semblance of competitiveness, with the occassional breakout team.

How did this happen?!? Is this league really this uninteresting and how long can this last?

Thread
12-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Simple:::You have 30 teams chasing talent enough for perhaps 10 teams, 12 absolute tops.

ElNono
12-16-2013, 02:58 AM
upcoming deep draft.... tank early, tank often

Reck
12-16-2013, 04:01 AM
The East has been garbage for years now. Its normally The heat and someone else. The rest are basically just to feed the stats of seed 1 and 2.

Rogue
12-16-2013, 04:09 AM
I guess when you know you're not gonna have no chance to make the finals, you have no incentive to build a team aimed at winning, instead you'd choose to tank for the future. Actually there're five teams in the east who want to win, but sadly three of them have miserably failed for various reasons (injury, lack of chemistry etc...)

scanry
12-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Simple:::You have 30 teams chasing talent enough for perhaps 10 teams, 12 absolute tops.

Not true. Players are too busy trying to impress the scouts during their college days. Once they step foot in the NBA, they are too busy trying to play it safe by avoiding injuries and impressing the vets. Coaches have also stopped developing them.

The vets are also playing longer with better conditioning and coaches are still scared to death to even entertain the rooks. In the 80s and 90s, wing players would look towards retirement checks after they turned 32. Not so much right now.

davethedope
12-16-2013, 11:27 AM

This is basically what my dad said, too many teams, not enough talent.

davethedope
12-16-2013, 11:33 AM
The East has been garbage for years now. Its normally The heat and someone else. The rest are basically just to feed the stats of seed 1 and 2.

I know, and I understand the Bulls have D. Woes, and the Knicks... the less said about them the better, but if they knew the Celtics were going to be taken apart, the league should have made an attempt to (not promoting collusion amongst the owners here) to put together at least one other team that could take it to the Heat.

Thread
12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I know, and I understand the Bulls have D. Woes, and the Knicks... the less said about them the better, but if they knew the Celtics were going to be taken apart, the league should have made an attempt to (not promoting collusion amongst the owners here) to put together at least one other team that could take it to the Heat.

Comprised of what talent, Dave? Those Boston players are standing in NJ now and it's ugly. Media will try to prop them up in association with NYC but it won't work.

AchillesHeel
12-16-2013, 11:43 AM
If Rondo's ACL was fine, the Nyets and Knicks didn't suck then the East would look respectable, at least from 1-6.

Thread
12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
If Rondo's ACL was fine, the Nyets and Knicks didn't suck then the East would look respectable, at least from 1-6.

& [If] Pop wasn't so fucking stubborn you'd have 5.

AchillesHeel
12-16-2013, 11:54 AM
& [If] Pop wasn't so fucking stubborn you'd have 5.

[If] Lakers didn't blow a 20+ point lead against the Celtics in the 08 Finals, you'd be looking at 17 right now.

Thread
12-16-2013, 11:56 AM
[If] Lakers didn't blow a 20+ point lead against the Celtics in the 08 Finals, you'd be looking at 17 right now.

You had 5 in the trophy case. That was game 4 in '08.

AchillesHeel
12-16-2013, 12:02 PM
You had 5 in the trophy case. That was game 4 in '08.

You could have went to Boston up 3-2.

Thread
12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
You could have went to Boston up 3-2.

It was in the case, Heel. They made you go back and get it out of the case, Heel. In broad daylight.

AchillesHeel
12-16-2013, 12:10 PM
It was in the case, Heel. They made you go back and get it out of the case, Heel. In broad daylight.

But they should have given Manu the FMVP trophy in return.

Thread
12-16-2013, 12:15 PM
But they should have given Manu the FMVP trophy in return.

& Saban "should have" just kicked that fucking FG. But, he knew better. Saban "should have" briefed the FG unit to switch to defense as soon as that FG attempt crested the line of scrimmage. But, he knew better.

DPG21920
12-16-2013, 12:16 PM
wtf is going on? 2 teams in the east have records over .500

8 teams in the west with records over .500.

At this rate is there really any reason to watch till the playoffs starts, maybe even the finals.

I know the NBA has been marked by lack of parity for stretches, but there's always been a semblance of competitiveness, with the occassional breakout team.

How did this happen?!? Is this league really this uninteresting and how long can this last?

:lol Complaining about 8 teams in the West being over 500. You want everyone to have winning records?

Killakobe81
12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
When the Lakers and Boston both suck ...= a terrible season tbh ...

Thread
12-16-2013, 12:24 PM
When the Lakers and Boston both suck ...= a terrible season tbh ...

Though the static angst is gone and that is a relief. It's fun hating on the others when you don't have to worry about your own. tee, hee.

Hell, it's been a lot of fun idolizing 6. Sure, I'd rather have 17, but, this is the next best thing and a grand time. Seeing somebody else suffer like this as I've suffered is cathartic. Sick, but, cathartic.

Katherine Robinson
12-16-2013, 12:27 PM
It just goes to show small market teams like the Bobcats, Cavliers, Spurs and Raptors should be eliminated.

Chomag
12-16-2013, 12:32 PM
East is a joke , even the west although much more competitive , still has no dominant teams. There are just way to many teams imo that thins out the talent way to much for the NBA, the league needs to shave 4-6 teams I think.

Killakobe81
12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Though the static angst is gone and that is a relief. It's fun hating on the others when you don't have to worry about your own. tee, hee.

Hell, it's been a lot of fun idolizing 6. Sure, I'd rather have 17, but, this is the next best thing and a grand time. Seeing somebody else suffer like this as I've suffered is cathartic. Sick, but, cathartic.

I largely left it alone, but these Spur fans have gotten awfully cheeky lately ...
the thing is it is only mentioned in passing right now, mostly positive as some sort of fuel for this season ...
But wait until they play the Heat or the playoffs start and Bosh's rebound an Ray's 3 is in heavy rotation those wounds will re-open ...
I am so glad that Havlichek steals the ball and Bird swiping Isiah gets way more play than Maxwell's ...
Ever finals/playoffs montage includes wither Hondo's steal or Bird's ...

6 will now be in THAT rotation ...

Thread
12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I largely left it alone, but these Spur fans have gotten awfully cheeky lately ...
the thing is it is only mentioned in passing right now, mostly positive as some sort of fuel for this season ...
But wait until they play the Heat or the playoffs start and Bosh's rebound an Ray's 3 is in heavy rotation those wounds will re-open ...
I am so glad that Havlichek steals the ball and Bird swiping Isiah gets way more play than Maxwell's ...
Ever finals/playoffs montage includes wither Hondo's steal or Bird's ...

6 will now be in THAT rotation ...

Only to "us" Killa. The days of MOMENTS is passed. NYC won't permit it. Too much money is at stake to sell out one team over another. When it was millions they'd do it. Now it's billions and its forbidden. The Media is centralized now and is cleaned and boxed.

But, that won't stop us. We'll go with our 6 & our 5-4 and our shit bags. Nobody can stop us.

DPG21920
12-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I've mentioned the way to fix this issue & most competitve issues over time. You have to change the way you award draft picks.

It's not even complicated. Not only will my system eliminate tanking, but it would help increase parity over the long haul.

Instead of giving the worst team in the league the greatest shot at the number one pick, you give the best team to miss the playoffs those odds and work your way back. Keep the odds exactly as they are now, just switch the order.

Thread
12-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I've mentioned the way to fix this issue & most competitve issues over time. You have to change the way you award draft picks.

It's not even complicated. Not only will my system eliminate tanking, but it would help increase parity over the long haul.

Instead of giving the worst team in the league the greatest shot at the number one pick, you give the best team to miss the playoffs those odds and work your way back. Keep the odds exactly as they are now, just switch the order.

It's the not the protocol, it's the talent involved. The lack of college is surfacing and harshly. Instead of brazening it out the like the colleges tried (early on), they've given up and are just raking it ($) with both hands and are letting the kids generate that moolah. This is going to come to an end when the courts come into it. The reserve clause in MLB lasted a 100 years. Everyone said it would last another 100. They were wrong. I believe the O'Bannon brothers have a case going thru the system and it will probably end up in the SC.

Killakobe81
12-16-2013, 03:10 PM
It's the not the protocol, it's the talent involved. The lack of college is surfacing and harshly. Instead of brazening it out the like the colleges tried (early on), they've given up and are just raking it ($) with both hands and are letting the kids generate that moolah. This is going to come to an end when the courts come into it. The reserve clause in MLB lasted a 100 years. Everyone said it would last another 100. They were wrong. I believe the O'Bannon brothers have a case going thru the system and it will probably end up in the SC.

Yep my former Bruins are laying waste to the old system. Ed was agreat college player coming back from that knee and leading a team of youngsters to that title was some epic shit. As a pro he was trash and his brother only slightly better but back in HS these guys were a sight to behold ... I have seen some great ones in Cal HS hoops Kidd, Pierce, Shea Cotton, Baron Davis, James Harden, Gilbert Arenas but O'bannon might of been better than all of them pre-knee injury ...

Killakobe81
12-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Kidd though had the best vision I have ever seen ... not on a pro ...

Captivus
12-16-2013, 04:00 PM
The problem is teams overpaying players that suck, every team has at least 1 of those.

ambchang
12-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Also NBA is more a business now. Instead of building teams based on talent and compatibility, teams are built with big names to attract your average fair weather fans.

Eyes are on profits instead of wins an losses, and the result is a bunch of bad teams.

This may sound odd, but the new bargaining agreement will make the small market teams competitive in the long run, but not championships teams because they can't attract talent like NY and LA, but they have to be competitive to stay in business. Think Nuggets and Memphis.

DPG21920
12-16-2013, 05:59 PM

Doesn't matter if there is lesser talent. Teams on the cusp don't need superstars. They need solid complimentary players which my system would provide assuming you draft well enough.

davethedope
12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Comprised of what talent, Dave? Those Boston players are standing in NJ now and it's ugly. Media will try to prop them up in association with NYC but it won't work.

Yeah, Boston is a bad example. Still there just seems to be lack of foresight on the part of the league considering the abysmal state of the East. They should do studies or some shit to take possible injury into account, and after reading the other posts in this thread, it's obivous, there are too many teams.

I mean, this Pelican shit, I saw and that and was like wait is this a joke?

At the time I'm writing this I can't even remember the name of the team that preceded them. The New Orlean CP3s? I don't even fucking remember...