PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN Radio Rangers make a trade with San Diego

T Park
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Phil Nieven to the Rangers for Chan Ho Park according to Jayson Stark.

Supporting the rumor Park was scratched from his start tonight.

If true, great trade by the Rangers.

Neven will be a stud in that bandbox.

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 02:50 AM
Phil Nieven? wtf. You mean Phil Nevin?

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 02:51 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rangers-padrestrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The Texas Rangers plan to trade pitcher Chan Ho Park to the San Diego Padres for slugger Phil Nevin, a deal that awaited approval from the commissioner's office.

``If the league OKs it, then it's a done deal,'' Padres manager Bruce Bochy said Friday before his team played the Cincinnati Reds. ``Obviously, we've talked to Texas. There's nothing official yet. Nev's aware of it. Chan Ho's aware of it.''

Rangers spokesman Gregg Elkin also said the trade was pending approval from the commissioner's office. Park was scratched just before his scheduled start in Toronto on Friday night and left the ballpark.

The deal came just two days before Sunday's 4 p.m. EDT deadline for making trades without passing players through waivers. Approval was needed because it involves the Rangers sending cash to San Diego to help offset the money remaining on the $65 million, five-year contract Park signed with Texas before the 2002 season.

Less than an hour after Bochy spoke, Nevin told reporters he expected to be a member of the Rangers by Saturday.

``I'm going to go in and say goodbye to my teammates and start packing and get my stuff ready to go to Toronto,'' Nevin said. ``I'm excited. I honestly am. It's an opportunity to play, it's a great organization, there's some great people there that I do know from a long time ago. I'm just excited to get over there.''

Nevin blocked a proposed trade to Baltimore for pitcher Sidney Ponson on Monday. But the slugger's limited no-trade clause did not include the right to refuse a deal to Texas.

Nevin, who mostly played first base for the Padres the past two years, was hitting .256 with nine homers and 47 RBIs. He probably will get a chance to be the regular designated hitter for the Rangers, who are in third place in the AL West, 7 1/2 games behind the first-place Angels.

Texas also began the day four games back in the wild-card chase.

Park is 8-5 with a 5.66 ERA in 20 starts this season. Since signing his big deal three years ago to become the Rangers' No. 1 starter, the 32-year-old right-hander is 22-23 in 68 starts. He has been on the disabled list five times, plagued primarily by back problems.

John Wasdin started for Texas on Friday night instead of Park.

Nevin is making $9 million this year, is due $10 million next year and a deferred signing bonus of $2 million in 2007.

Nevin was the No. 1 pick in the 1992 draft, by Houston, but didn't stick with any team for long until the Padres acquired him just before the 1999 season as a backup catcher. He won the starting job at third base later that season, and in 2001 had a career year with a .306 average, 41 homers and 126 RBIs.

Injuries have kept him from replicating those numbers, and management and fans wearied of his quick temper.

Nevin lost his starting job at first base after nixing the trade to Baltimore, but he ended up catching two of three games against St. Louis. He received a warm ovation when he was introduced Tuesday night, but was booed as he continued to struggle at the plate.

``Sometimes a change in scenery is good, sometimes time runs out in a certain spot,'' Nevin said. ``It did for me here. There's no animosity or anger toward anything. It's been an unbelievable ride here, obviously something I'll never forget. There'll be some great memories.''

Nevin said his only disappointment, besides being booed this week, was not winning a division title. But he said he expects the Padres to hold onto their lead in the weak NL West. Despite losing 32 of their last 50 games, they still led Arizona by two games.

``Hopefully, this team will start winning and they don't have anybody else to boo and it'll be smooth sailing in San Diego for a while,'' Nevin said.

Nevin hit 156 homers in seven seasons with San Diego, seven shy of Nate Colbert's career record of 163.

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 02:51 AM
I believe the MLB accepted the trade.

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Nevin can play 1B, C, DH

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 02:54 AM
Rangers could use him at C because Sosa fucked up Barajas' arm by sliding with his cleet up and I believe Sandy Alomar Jr got hurt either today or yesterday.

Sense
07-30-2005, 02:55 AM
Good Trade, Park sucked :P.

The guy started with a phew wins... his era was terrible, and has recently been sucking.

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Chan Ho Park was 8-5 W-L 80 K 54 Walks 5.66 ERA 1.68 WHIP

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 03:01 AM
He was suppose to be a stud for the Rangers but that never turned out to be true.

3rdCoast
07-30-2005, 03:06 AM
You are God Damned right it is a good trade.

The Rangers made a major upgrade.

Great F'n move by them.

F'n great.

Sense
07-30-2005, 03:51 AM
He was suppose to be a stud for the Rangers but that never turned out to be true.

He started good, I think he was 5-0 or so early...

I even had him on my fantasy team for wins..

His era began to get worse...then he started losing.

The guy got terrible.

Horry For 3!
07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
He started good, I think he was 5-0 or so early...

I even had him on my fantasy team for wins..

His era began to get worse...then he started losing.

The guy got terrible.
You had him on your fantasy team? :lol Your crazy

Sense
07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
You had him on your fantasy team? :lol Your crazy

He got me wins and that's all that matters.

Horry For 3!
07-31-2005, 02:32 AM
He got me wins and that's all that matters.
With a horrible era & whip.

Sense
07-31-2005, 12:46 PM
With a horrible era & whip.

My other guys made up for it....

Never mattered...

But then again, I don't think if you noticed but I did drop him...

Horry For 3!
08-01-2005, 01:49 AM
Yeah, would be the good idea lol My fantasy baseball team is owning well basically all of mine are. 4 of my 6 leagues i'm in...i'm in 1st the other 2 i'm in 3rd fixin to be 2nd and the other like 4th or 5th.

T Park
08-03-2005, 01:05 AM
How is Nevin doin????

Curious...