PDA

View Full Version : Cory Joseph..

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Is he the most hesitant guard you have ever seen in a Spurs jersey, tbh?..

I can't remember a Spurs' guard that was so hesitant and afraid to be aggressive..

Cory Joseph possession = barely able to dribble to half court against a press, waits for Manu or Tony to get the ball from him near half court, waits for the other team to hedge/trap him on the pick&roll, makes a shaky pass:lol..

Other moves include driving halfway, stopping and picking up his dribble..

jeebus
12-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Cojo/Green/Airs package for a SF

justinandimcool
12-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Absolute trash. If I were Nando I would just fly back to France without telling anyone. How do you get beaten out of the rotation by this guy :lol

PlayNando
12-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Play Nando. Cut Cory, tbh..

Nando = fearless playmaker.

Cory = scared.

ElNono
12-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I don't get why Patty just simply doesn't get more minutes... is he tired, tbh?

jeebus
12-17-2013, 01:04 AM
because Pop has fucking lost it. since he lost Bud and Brett, he doesn't care about life anymore.

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Players like Joseph have been obsolete for years, tbh..

Defensive-first PGs that can't create offense are no longer useful in today's NBA..PGs generally can't lock down opposing PGs anymore, at least not enough to negate poor offense..

ElNono
12-17-2013, 01:06 AM
to be fair, Patty started way too out of control... one of the main reasons the team gave up that 19pt run... but still, he can shoot. Cojo on CP3 was absurd.

freetiago
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Popovich just overthinking everything and micromanaging guys who dont need it
Boris went off in the first half and was nowhere to be seen in the second

HarlemHeat37
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Patty has serious flaws, too, but he always has to be defended by the opposing team, he's always a threat to score, unlike Joseph slowing the offense and afraid to make a mistake..

Good offensive potential + poor defense >>> No offensive potential + good defense at the PG position in today's NBA, tbh..

Spursfanfromafar
12-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Cory Joseph, IMO, is in a tough place. He needs to develop and he can't do that playing very limited minutes and constantly being asked to do well in such minutes.

The Spurs' best backup PG is Patty because he is a different player from Parker and he can gel well with Manu. But he is not a pure PG and can't be always relied upon.

The best Spurs' backup PGs playing limited minutes during the TP period were mostly veterans who knew to make the right plays in those minutes. Guys like Jacque Vaughn, TJ Ford for e.g.

I don't see the Spurs being the best place for CoJo and vice versa. CoJo can certainly develop in a place like Orlando or Philadelphia who do need PGs.

Holden_Caulfield
12-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Man i had high hopes for Cory, it seems he has regreassed :cry

playblair
12-17-2013, 01:27 AM
cojo=elite defender..................... cojo=legit pg...................

Bill_Brasky
12-17-2013, 01:34 AM
it sucks that Cory's offense has ended up being so poor. he never shoots when he's open for 3, if he would shoot those with confidence he might not be completely useless...

with patty, he's always got a chance to go off so you have to play him, but his defense is pretty bad. reggie jackson shit all over him.

cd021
12-17-2013, 01:36 AM

Joseph is a better defender. But is terrible offensively.

Mills isn't a great defender but he try hard and uses his quickness to try and make plays. Offensively he is drastically better.

Pop logic is to put Joseph in for defense and, i guess, rely on others (Diaw, Marco, Manu) to carry the offensive load.

cd021
12-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Joseph is a bust in terms of a Spurs 1st round pick. There I said it.

cd021
12-17-2013, 01:39 AM

Defensive-first PGs that can't create offense are no longer useful in today's NBA..PGs generally can't lock down opposing PGs anymore, at least not enough to negate poor offense..

I couldn't agree more.

DapDaGenius
12-17-2013, 01:40 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/6446.png&w=350&h=254

Johnny RIngo
12-17-2013, 01:45 AM
Defense at the PG position is overrated anyway. Having a good offensive PG is more valuable than having a guy that can only defend one position, has no jumpshot, and has no ability to create for others.

Mikeanaro
12-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Cory is a below average PG, he should play for a team who is not going to make a deep playoff run.
Speaking about hesitation, Im tired of lots of guys doing it like Green, Kawhi, Bonner, just fucking shoot pussies!

benfti
12-17-2013, 06:28 AM
I also think its fair to say that Pattys defense has improved this season, from horrible to passable. Cojo might need to have a Patty off season where he gets himself in great shape and gets up about 500 reps a day

Obstructed_View
12-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I also think its fair to say that Pattys defense has improved this season, from horrible to passable. Cojo might need to have a Patty off season where he gets himself in great shape and gets up about 500 reps a day

Agreed on the first part. If Joseph didn't already do that in the offseason then he should be immediately released. Clearly Patty Mills knew that there was a rotation spot available on the team and worked accordingly.

Baam
12-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Is he the most hesitant guard you have ever seen in a Spurs jersey, tbh?..

I can't remember a Spurs' guard that was so hesitant and afraid to be aggressive..

Cory Joseph possession = barely able to dribble to half court against a press, waits for Manu or Tony to get the ball from him near half court, waits for the other team to hedge/trap him on the pick&roll, makes a shaky pass:lol..

And passing up open shots...

cjw
12-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Agreed on the first part. If Joseph didn't already do that in the offseason then he should be immediately released. Clearly Patty Mills knew that there was a rotation spot available on the team and worked accordingly.

Too bad we got snookered into picking up his option for this year and next

Cry Havoc
12-17-2013, 11:58 AM

This is what I find so humorous about the rampant criticism of Tony Parkers defense. Spurs fans must not watch any other basketball.

PlayNando
12-17-2013, 12:22 PM
LOL at all the posters who thought Cory was our PG of the future past year. :lol

Spur-Addict
12-17-2013, 12:25 PM
cojo=elite defender..................... cojo=legit pg...................

Who is that in your sig? Geez

Obstructed_View
12-17-2013, 12:50 PM
LOL at all the posters who thought Cory was our PG of the future past year. :lol

They drafted him. Why wouldn't people think that? It's really fucking retarded to judge ancient comments with the benefit of hindsight.

freetiago
12-17-2013, 01:13 PM
This is what I find so humorous about the rampant criticism of Tony Parkers defense. Spurs fans must not watch any other basketball.

Point guard defense defending pick and rolls will make almost no impact
Parker this year is making extremely terrible strong side help and then not rotating back
hes been responsible for a number of below average guards like Toney Douglas having career games because of it

ElNono
12-17-2013, 01:57 PM

The criticism doesn't stem from not being able to 'lock down' other PGs. It comes from poor decisions on that end. Decisions we know Tony has made correctly in the past.

It's entirely possible he's just coasting right now, which is understandable.

cd021
12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Bust for a Spurs 1st round pick. He just isn't a backup PG in his 3rd season with the team.

dallasmaverickslose
12-17-2013, 03:48 PM
The kid has been a disappointment this season so far tbh... :depressed

weebo
12-17-2013, 04:24 PM
After last year's decent PO run, I figured Cojo would be running back-up pg duties. Damn, what happened to the guy??

spurraider21
12-17-2013, 06:50 PM
its hard to not call him a bust lol. as others have said, he's a 3rd year player that hasn't been able to secure a backup role when his competition has been nando de colo, patty mills, etc.

a 3rd year guy that doesn't get minute is a bust

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2013, 02:51 PM
He's starting tonight, he better be aggressive, tbh..

Bill_Brasky
12-18-2013, 03:48 PM
coulda had isaiah thomas :cry

CitizenDwayne
12-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Don't hold your breath.

Even if he started playing with more aggressiveness, he looks so damn awkward with the ball (and his shooting stroke sucks), that I'm not sure it would be a good thing.

DJR210
12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/6446.png&w=350&h=254

Fool looks like he smells shit.

justinandimcool
12-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Worse than last year. Got minutes in the WCF and Finals, probably got cocky. How do you not play with confidence and fire knowing you're competing with 3 other PG's on the team?

Embedded
12-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I have to agree, I think Nando de Colo should start tonight vs. Suns. I don't understand for the life of me how Cory Joseph didn't progress more this summer, it appears that he regressed. I think Nando de Colo just needs a game or two to get his senses about him. I won't be surprised tonight if he starts. I really want Cory Joseph to improve. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Cory Joseph does knock the rust off since he'll have at least 2 games to do it if he does indeed start.

PlayNando
12-18-2013, 04:43 PM
They drafted him. Why wouldn't people think that? It's really fucking retarded to judge ancient comments with the benefit of hindsight.
I've been saying it since he was drafted. Nando >>>>>>> Cory.

Patty >>>>>>>>>> Cory.

Cory had his chance last year, but blew monkey chunks in the playoffs.

playblair
12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
cojo will prove he is the rightful back up pg with parker injured....................

elemento
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
I still believe in Cory

Let's see how he does starting today

crc21209
12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah I gotta agree. I love Cory's defensive skills that he can bring to the team, but he's way too damn hesitant on offense to be a threat. Would be nice if we could package some sort of combination of Joseph, De Colo, Bonner, and Ayres for something decent, BUT I'm dreaming...:lol

crc21209
12-18-2013, 05:53 PM

What? Source?

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2013, 05:54 PM
What? Source?
I've seen it all across FB it's true.

DMC
12-18-2013, 05:58 PM
You know, in 2K14 he sucks as well. He'll be out there on the corner wide open and won't shoot the fucking ball when he gets it. For that reason alone I traded him for Gary Neal who will shoot any time he gets it.

PlayNando
12-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Nando > Cojo, tbh.

objective
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Joseph is worthless, and his defense is overrated. He's Shelvin Mack with a guaranteed deal for 2 million next year. Probably worse than Mack. Can't shoot, won't shoot, can't dribble, can't pass, bad decisions with the ball, overrated defense. I imagine the only reason he has a deal next year is that the Spurs had to justify to themselves that they didn't blow that pick.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2013, 10:37 PM

He's done this like 5 fucking times tonight, wow..

AFBlue
12-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Seems like he's really lost confidence and control of the game he had last year. Some players respond well to losing out in a competition, while others don't. Seems Cory is the latter.

cd021
12-18-2013, 11:56 PM
He's done this like 5 fucking times tonight, wow..

His go to. He seems completely disinterested in shooting.

ElNono
12-19-2013, 12:13 AM
I can't fault the effort. He just isn't good at this stage. Wish Patty could play 40+ mins, tbh

cd021
12-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Nando > Cojo, tbh.

I agree...

cd021
12-19-2013, 01:21 AM
He should be the 4th PG. Just isn't an asset on offense. He hardly shoots and seems to dribble aimlessly. A PG that can't score or create, consistently for others just isn't valuable.

benfti
12-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Good thing Patty has improved tbh

Obstructed_View
12-19-2013, 05:12 AM
I've been saying it since he was drafted. Nando >>>>>>> Cory.

Patty >>>>>>>>>> Cory.

Cory had his chance last year, but blew monkey chunks in the playoffs.

At this point, neither Nando nor Joseph are decent NBA players. There's certainly not a lot of separation between the two of them.

SanDiegoSpursFan
12-19-2013, 05:17 AM
Cory and Green should stop worrying about fucking up. It always looks like Cory is just running through the play like in practice, and Green won't shoot if the defender can slightly contest his shot.

spurraider21
12-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Cory and Green should stop worrying about fucking up. It always looks like Cory is just running through the play like in practice, and Green won't shoot if the defender can slightly contest his shot.
I agree on Green, he just looks like he has no confidence. In last year's finals, he had the mental green light to let it fly. Granted, he had some open looks, but he was taking some highly contested shots as well as long as he can an initial good look. He looks tentative to shoot unless its the perfect shot, which is harming us, since he has nearly zero counters. If he didn't improve his handling/penetration, then fine. But he at least needs to let them fly, otherwise he's not doing much offensively. He's still been doing well defensively, but he's a 3 and D guy, not just a D guy.

jARS mEsH sEt
12-19-2013, 05:40 AM
its hard to not call him a bust lol. as others have said, he's a 3rd year player that hasn't been able to secure a backup role when his competition has been nando de colo, patty mills, etc.

a 3rd year guy that doesn't get minute is a bust

Patty doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of the guys you mentioned, tbh.

monkeypunk
12-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Cory was so gotdamn awful last night, I'd give Nando some minutes tonight just to see what happens. Might even call up Kabongo and throw him in the fire cause Cory sucked ass every single possession.

look_at_g_shred
12-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Horrible performance

spurraider21
12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Patty doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the rest of the guys you mentioned, tbh.
this year's Patty Mills has been better than years past, but he's still not really a point guard. Marco and Manu have been driving the second unit and Patty has more or less been along for the ride. The biggest improvement by Patty is that he learned how to play defense to an extent.

PlayNando
12-19-2013, 12:47 PM
We miss Beno and Speedy Claxton, tbh. :(

spurraider21
12-19-2013, 01:17 PM
we do not miss beno. he did improve after he left, but he sucked for us. a lesser version of turkoglu

freetiago
12-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Spurs had so many options they could have taken but theyve stuck with this scrub for whatever reason
plenty of guys even if you don't think theyre good like Sebastian Telfair have definitely been available and the Spurs stuck with this guy
still after like 5 years we cant find a backup SF or a backup PG

spurraider21
12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
and they picked up his option for next year :lol

Bruno
12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Lack of confidence is a big part of Joseph current struggles. It might be a good idea for Spurs to send him down to Toros for a couple of games where he will be able to shot 20 times per game.

monkeypunk
12-19-2013, 01:35 PM
We miss Beno and Speedy Claxton, tbh. :(

We really miss TJ Ford, tbh...

Sfan
12-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi everybody. New to here from Downunder. Do people think Patty will be asked to stay at the spurs next season? He seems the loyal type.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-20-2013, 12:39 AM
I've lost confidence in him completely. After the finals I lost it temporarily, but now it's clear. I think he's already hit his ceiling. Maybe it's just me being drunk watching this game, but he's in the same boat as Ayres for me. I don't trust him anymore. I think de Colo actually has a higher ceiling even though he's been playing shitty.

SpurSwag
12-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Agreed, it's like he plays with the intention of not to fuck up instead of actually playing well. Nando at least tries to make things happen, CoJo makes literally no impact whatsoever offensively and his slightly above average defense doesn't really make up for that

cd021
12-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Utterly useless. I am normally reserve judgement but just awful. If we needed a player to dribble up the court and hold the ball, Neal was our guy. At least he could shoot his ass off. Josephs only disernable skill is defense and he degates it by being an complete non factor on offense. I am disappointed the Spurs picked up his option next season. He just isn't a useful player.

SanDiegoSpursFan
12-20-2013, 01:27 AM
He reverts to being a hunchback whenever someone kinda quick pressures him, it only makes him really slow

TheGoldStandard
12-20-2013, 01:28 AM
If Patty wouldn't go Heroball Cojo's ass would have been on the bench sooner

PlayNando
12-20-2013, 01:28 AM
I honestly have a hard time watching the game when he's in there fking everything up tbh. It is painful.

HarlemHeat37
12-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Watching him play against a full court press tonight was horrifying, tbh..

A PG that can't dribble should not be on an NBA roster, it doesn't make any sense..if a PG needs to turn his back in post-up position to counter the press, he isn't going to be successful in the fucking NBA against top-level athletes..

PlayNando
12-20-2013, 01:30 AM
we do not miss beno. he did improve after he left, but he sucked for us. a lesser version of turkoglu
We would have been much better having Beno back up TP9 all of these years rather than the rotating cast of scrubs we've had for the most part.

wildbill2u
12-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Lack of confidence is a big part of Joseph current struggles. It might be a good idea for Spurs to send him down to Toros for a couple of games where he will be able to shot 20 times per game.

Actually it would be nice if he could play some defense and make an assist or two. He's terrible at those skills. He looked like he was always trying to catch up to the player he was defending. I could overlook his shooting if he was an adequate backup PG with true PG skills. After three years--and multiple trips to the Toros-- he should know how to play in our system.

Green looks terrible on both ends of the court as well.