PDA

View Full Version : why does Spurs can't beat top teams?

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Spurs 105 @ Portland Trail Blazers 115
Spurs 88 @ OKC Thunder 94
Spurs 106 vs Houston Rockets 112
Spurs 92 @ LA Clippers 115

why? :wtf :sleep

RD2191
12-17-2013, 10:07 PM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f2/1204659d1377724649-lets-talk-about-replica-watches-how-you-really-feel-about-them-boom-before-lock.jpg

Holden_Caulfield
12-17-2013, 10:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BLkylVU.gif

PlayNando
12-18-2013, 12:16 AM
You can't make any statistically significant predictions based on such a small sample size (5 games), tbh.

Austin_Toros
12-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Also: Spurs 100 vs Indiana Pacers 111

You can't make any statistically significant predictions based on such a small sample size (5 games), tbh.

True, but people will still read into it because the Spurs have lost to all of the other top four Western Conference teams.

Arcadian
12-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Why doesnt you no talk english gudd??/

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Also: Spurs 100 vs Indiana Pacers 111

forgot about that beating by George..

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Why doesnt you no talk english gudd??/

sorry, no talk english perfect. i don't went to school..

Spursone
12-18-2013, 05:45 AM
Fancy book lerning aint for eveebody what not

Kabals
12-18-2013, 06:44 AM
People said the same last year, in the end beside Miami it was a tie at worst against the good teams (and what is a good team ? because when Spurs beat Grizzlies or Golden State or Clippers they are not good teams but if we lose they are :rolleyes). OKC, Miami and Pacers are the only team who would be favorite against us and it would still be close, in 6 or 7 games.

Raven
12-18-2013, 07:40 AM
simple, they play belinelli too much.

exstatic
12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
It's December. The season is a Marathon of 82 games. You lean into your system to beat the teams you should beat, and everything else will fall into place later, like after the RRT.

Ice009
12-18-2013, 09:38 AM
It's December. The season is a Marathon of 82 games. You lean into your system to beat the teams you should beat, and everything else will fall into place later, like after the RRT.

I thought that this team came into the season wanting homecourt advantage. I thought they were serious about it. Well, you ain't going to get it playing like this.

moisaenz
12-18-2013, 09:42 AM
because we no got stephen jackson

Calispursfan11
12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Spurs like to lose to good teams during the regular season and beat the patsies. It's their tradition tbh. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-18-2013, 09:45 AM
sorry, no talk english perfect. i don't went to school..

Your grasp of knowledge of your own language, English (capitalize), clearly parallel's your grasp of knowledge of the very team you rout for.

Skull-1
12-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Why does OP can't write proper thread titles?

Skull-1
12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Your grasp of knowledge of your own language, English (capitalize), clearly parallel's your grasp of knowledge of the very team you rout for.

Irony! :lmao

SpursFan86
12-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I thought that this team came into the season wanting homecourt advantage. I thought they were serious about it. Well, you ain't going to get it playing like this.

We're 19-5 and 2 games out of 1st place. Relax.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Why does OP can't write proper thread titles?

Irony is your redundant threads and constant bitching and in turn complaining about someone else's bitching thread.

Skull-1
12-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Irony is your redundant threads and constant bitching and in turn complaining about someone else's bitching thread.

Fail! :stupid:

:lmao

:rollin

:lol

:rollin

:lmao

r0drig0lac
12-18-2013, 02:32 PM
this is exactly what I think when I say that something is missing from this team this year, pop always clear that we need in the homecourt, and that way we will not against thunder and possibly blazers

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2013, 02:52 PM
You must be a new fan. Am i right?

elmanutres
12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I remember last year around the end of the season, there was this one string of games where we were facing hard playoff teams. with the heat, clippers, grizzlies, nuggets and okc. Don't remember the exact teams or how many. But i remember pop saying that those strings of games were gonna be a test to see if we were ready. We did bad. I think we only won 1 of those games. I was pretty dam worried after that string of games. But we ended going to the finals and basically beat the heat (you know the deal already). We even lost those 2 reg. season games against miami and people expected us to have no chance against them, yet we put up a fight. So taking from last season, I wouldn't read too in depth into whats going on with OP concern. It's obvious we are still in cruise mode. At the same time however, it's something i would keep my eye on.

SsKSpurs21
12-18-2013, 03:36 PM
CIA POP doesnt want to reveal all his cards and lineups too early. :king

weeks
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Not sure what the deal is, but it's certainly troubling.

12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
you miss the playoffs last yr opie?

rascal
12-18-2013, 05:29 PM
The year they lost to Memphis the Spurs had the top seed but had problems beating the top teams when those teams were healthy. many of us said the spurs were a fools gold team and not a title contender and would not go far in the playoffs. This team has the look of a similar team.

HarlemHeat37
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
The year they lost to Memphis the Spurs had the top seed but had problems beating the top teams when those teams were healthy. many of us said the spurs were a fools gold team and not a title contender and would not go far in the playoffs. This team has the look of a similar team.

I predicted the Spurs would lose to Memphis in 2011, too..

The difference is that you said the same thing last year, tbh..you also said the same thing in 2007 when the Spurs won the title, tbh..your predictions are pretty bad..

How's your wife, tbh?..

Budkin
12-18-2013, 07:12 PM
20/10

PlayNando
12-18-2013, 09:01 PM
simple, they play belinelli too much.
Raven with the bads, per par. :lol

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Spurs 100 - Thunder 113

:sleep

ElNono
12-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Coasting

Raven
12-21-2013, 11:40 PM
i've been saying all along, because they play belinelli.

TheGoldStandard
12-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Home court would be nice. Winning on the road wont be easy at all.

DMC
12-22-2013, 12:35 AM
Easy answer:

1. Because they are "Top Teams" for a reason
2. Tim is getting obligatory touches and when Tony is in, he's almost exclusively feeding Tim even when Tim is in double coverage
3. The 2nd big (Tiago) cannot finish around the rim

OKC has 4 real weapons now: KD, Frogger, Ibaka and now Jackson. Ibaka hit 2 threes. You have two almost 7 footers shooting 3s, one the defending scoring champ and leading the race, the other with range out to the three and moves in the paint. One of them alters every shot in the paint and blocks a fair share, the other has the ability to block shots as well. Their PG can score coast to coast at will most times, and their backup is a 5 time champion. Their real weakness is their coach, but he's learning. I cannot believe he kept those guys in until the end. Doc Rivers 2.0.

Kabals
12-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Every top teams have bigs that can shoot jumper and even three and also fast enough to defend Parker and the pick'n'roll. Every top team. Except the Spurs.

The game has changed but Pop's defense hasn't. We are great to defend near the basket but we give up jumpers without even trying to contest them. Our opponents can have as many free jump shot as they want, they just need to set a screen and it's a open shot for them.

On the other hand against top teams who all have fast athletic bigs, every time Parker set a screen he is blitzed and has to take 2 steps back. Spurs don't do this, or rather they can't with their slow bigs. And then we wonder why every time a scrub player go 7/9 shooting jumpshot against us.

I remember an article last year praising Duncan defense for him letting the big take the "inefficient" jumpshot and going for the rebound instead. And that's why Scola always kill us. The worst thing is that Duncan is probably right doing this as he is too slow to contest any jumpshot and essential for the rebound.

MilesTeg
12-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Whatever the problem is, it's not in offense. Defense is the problem. I don't mind Green missing open shots, I do mind him missing defensive rotations. Same applies to Manu. The whole team is playing with no toughness or energy, and no defensive cohesion.

r0drig0lac
12-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Every top teams have bigs that can shoot jumper and even three and also fast enough to defend Parker and the pick'n'roll. Every top team. Except the Spurs.

The game has changed but Pop's defense hasn't. We are great to defend near the basket but we give up jumpers without even trying to contest them. Our opponents can have as many free jump shot as they want, they just need to set a screen and it's a open shot for them.

On the other hand against top teams who all have fast athletic bigs, every time Parker set a screen he is blitzed and has to take 2 steps back. Spurs don't do this, or rather they can't with their slow bigs. And then we wonder why every time a scrub player go 7/9 shooting jumpshot against us.

I remember an article last year praising Duncan defense for him letting the big take the "inefficient" jumpshot and going for the rebound instead. And that's why Scola always kill us. The worst thing is that Duncan is probably right doing this as he is too slow to contest any jumpshot and essential for the rebound.it is really a smart post, thanks man

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM
and again...

Rockets - 111
Spurs - 98

:sleep

Reck
12-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Spurs are not only losing to top teams, they're getting blown the fuck out.

This is getting out of hand.

RD2191
12-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Spurs are not only losing to top teams, they're getting blown the fuck out.

This is getting out of hand.
:lolthey're also getting their shit pushed in at home

MANUNG-Ginobili
12-25-2013, 11:03 PM
upcoming games:

@ Mavs
vs Kings
vs Nets
vs Knicks
vs Clippers

predictions friends?

TampaDude
12-26-2013, 02:32 PM
upcoming games:

@ Mavs
vs Kings
vs Nets
vs Knicks
vs Clippers

predictions friends?

Yeah...

Spurs = 2014 NBA Champions :hat

Skull-1
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah...

Spurs = 2014 NBA Champions :hat

Definitely not happening. Last season was our shot. We whiffed. It is over.

apalisoc_9
12-26-2013, 03:14 PM
A combination of a lot of things..

- Other top teams are generally much more motivated to play against us. The spurs are playing the Top teams the same way they play the bad teams.
- Not Utilizing Kawhi Leonard
- Predictable offense
- The spurs allow open jump shots as a defensive strategy, Top teams make those shots bad teams dont

DMC
12-26-2013, 03:21 PM

I remember an article last year praising Duncan defense for him letting the big take the "inefficient" jumpshot and going for the rebound instead. And that's why Scola always kill us. The worst thing is that Duncan is probably right doing this as he is too slow to contest any jumpshot and essential for the rebound.

Bonner only gets shots beyond the arc if no one is within 30 feet of him. He takes so long to get his shot off, he's pretty much just a threat out there, like a scarecrow.

DMC
12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Look at my 1st post in this thread. Tim gets obligatory touches. He's having issues hitting his shots but he still gets them. Because he hits the front of the rim, that's a long rebound instead of a high rebound, and the opposition gets good looks during the break.

Great 3 point shooters are fine, but most of ours cannot guard a pumpkin, much less a human. Danny Green has decent transition D, but he bites on any up fake and goes launching into the crowd. Marco cannot defend to save his life, just runs around waving his arms like Super Mario trying to save the princess. Manu defends ok, but he gambles non stop because he's almost always in "make up for that turnover" mode instead of just playing solid defense. Tony cannot defend shit. Tiago is good under the rim and Tim is still solid. Boris doesn't defend well, has moments but not many.

Sean Cagney
12-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Definitely not happening. Last season was our shot. We whiffed. It is over.

I hate to agree here but it looks like they took a step back this year.

Capt Bringdown
12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
How do the Spurs come back from giving a way a championship to the Heat?
You just hope the motivation/fire is there come playoff time, but you gotta wonder how much the players believe in what they're doing at this point.
Personally, I don't think we have a realistic shot at anything as long as Manu is on the team.

Skull-1
12-26-2013, 05:40 PM
How do the Spurs come back from giving a way a championship to the Heat?
You just hope the motivation/fire is there come playoff time, but you gotta wonder how much the players believe in what they're doing at this point.
Personally, I don't think we have a realistic shot at anything as long as Manu is on the team.

We don't come back. A loss like that is killer to a franchise. Just look at the Cowboys after losing to San Francisco in the NFC Championship back in 1982. It never came back around after that....

Manu threw the Finals in spectacular fashion. He will never redeem himself for that failure. And a balding, 36-year old TOSB is not going to change for the better. He ripped the heart out of our team and there is no reversing the effects of that collapse...