PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to Malik's grand opening?

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 11:05 PM
I know people have commented about whether or not they are going but all the responses are lost in various threads.

So if you are going and want to be seen = ) post and tell me!

I'll be there. As of now I am wearing a yellow shirt and a black skirt with flowers on it.
But I am a girl so that may be subject to last minute change... several times! :lol

3rdCoast
07-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I know people have commented about whether or not they are going but all the responses are lost in various threads.

So if you are going and want to be seen = ) post and tell me!

I'll be there. As of now I am wearing a yellow shirt and a black skirt with flowers on it.
But I am a girl so that may be subject to last minute change... several times! :lol

What time is this mostrosity?

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 11:08 PM
12 - 2
Just decided that I hate my outfit... so I'll be wearing something.

TheWriter
07-29-2005, 11:09 PM
From 12 to 2 in the afternoon?

Why so early?

The Quarry grand opening started at 6.

3rdCoast
07-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Everyone knows what you look like already so no need for outfit descriptions.

We all saw you for those 2 seconds you were on tv few days back. :hat

angel_luv
07-29-2005, 11:13 PM
That's true!!!!!!!! I better wear my sunglasses! No autographs please! = )

3rdCoast
07-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Yea, you are a bonafied superstar now.

Spurbanana
07-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I'll go hopefully...and will be wearing my 05 champs shirt most likely

^^that doesn't sound very sure, I know, but as long as my dad's around there's NO certainties in life...so if I'm there, I'm there, and if I'm not...I'll look here for pics!

midgetonadonkey
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
Is he going to give out free Philly Cheesesteaks? If he isn't I'm not there.

angel_luv
07-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I just now got back from Malik's. Super Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

TheWriter
07-30-2005, 05:21 PM
I just now got back from Malik's. Super Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Don't wanna explain? :lol

Samr
07-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I was there. In a green t-shirt and jeans. Yes I regret that decision.

angel_luv
07-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Don't wanna explain? :lol

Since you asked... :spin

I got to Malik's before twelve and there was already a fairly long line of people waiting. I met a lady who had been there since five a.m. and had actually helped Malik set up for his party.

Inside the restaurant was off limits for the longest time. From 12- 2 Malik held a VIP party going for his family, team mates that came ( Tony Parker and Devin) and also two bus loads of wounded soilders from BAMC.

Even still. it was impossible to feel as if you were being left out. Malik hung out outside with us for quite awhile.
For us he had Italian ice, a magician and a D.J. Also the Coyote.

To kick things off, Malik gave about a ten minute speech during which he thanked everyone for coming, acknowledged his sponsors, and laid down the ground rules for the day.
It was so nice to see Malik in such good spirits. You could tell he was blessed by how many people turned out to support him today.
Also, Malik said in his talk that all the letters people sent him after the trade, really helped him get through the difficult time. He said thanks so much. (I thought some of you would want to know that.)

Malik sat and signed autographs and took pictures with people for at least an hour.
I hadn't expected to get to talk to him so I didn't bring anything for him to autograph. But I had my camera and Malik took a pic with me = )

I also got a picture with the Coyote and Devin Brown. I took two pictures of Tony Parker who had come out to listen to Malik's speech. Tony really didn't stay very long at all. I saw him pull up and drive off. He was a very popular attraction as you can imagine. People clistered around Tony's car as he was leaving. It took him awhile to get out.

Devin came out over an hour later. He signed autographs and took pictures with a whole bunch of people.

It was so good to see Malik! He looks great and is his same awesome self!
A lot of Malik's family was there- his girl friend Tiffany ( I saw her. She is pretty), Malik's mom, as well as his brother Cory and one other brothers , I believe.
And of course everyone brought their significant others and thier children. I really enjoyed watching Malik interact with nieces, nephews, and siblings etc.
They seem to be one big , wonderful, happy family.

The crowd thinned out considerably after Malik announced the winners of the silent auction.
The 2005 basketball signed by the team went for somewhere in the ball park of $ 1, 000 dollars.
They also auctioned off a 2003 signed basketball, a pair of Timmy's shoes also autographed, and several other non basketball donated gifts.

The restaurant didn't open to the general public until four.
My friends and I were among the first group of the general public to be allowed in.
I like the decor of the restaurant. It 's cozy. = ) And I am pretty sure that Malik's has expanded his menu . I had the shrimp alfredo which was absolutely delicious and reasonably priced.

I had the best time!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, I'll be able to post pics in the next couple of days so you all can see what I mean. =)

ShoogarBear
07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
:lol

Spur fans.

Only in San Antonio would a bunch of people wait four hours for the opening of a fast food place run by a bench player who was traded to another team.

angel_luv
07-30-2005, 06:15 PM
There are not too many Spurs players, current or former, that I would do that for. = )

TheWriter
07-30-2005, 06:18 PM

Spur fans.

Only in San Antonio would a bunch of people wait four hours for the opening of a fast food place run by a bench player who was traded to another team.

Fast food place? :rolleyes

angel_luv
07-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Both Philly Phamous restaurants are sit down. This new location has waitresses that come to your table and take your order- as opposed to going through a cafeteria style line like the Quarry location.

I haven't been to Phamous # 1 in awhile. They may have waitresses there too now.

3rdCoast
07-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Writer is in here early today.

Will you be around at 5am also, Writer?

We gotta hold down the quattro during the graveyard shift.

ShoogarBear
07-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, fast food place. The one in the Quarry certainly qualifies as one.

TheWriter
07-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Writer is in here early today.

Will you be around at 5am also, Writer?

We gotta hold down the quattro during the graveyard shift.

No, sorry. The NightHawks have to hold it down without The Broman.

3rdCoast
07-30-2005, 07:25 PM
No, sorry. The NightHawks have to hold it down without The Broman.

God Damnit :pctoss

Kori Ellis
07-30-2005, 07:27 PM
God Damnit :pctoss

I guess you and g_i_g (well, if he's not busy getting head) will have to kick it up a notch.

TheWriter
07-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Yes, fast food place. The one in the Quarry certainly qualifies as one.

How is it fast food?

Is Chili's a fast food joint?

ZStomp
07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
I guess you and g_i_g (well, if he's not busy getting head) will have to kick it up a notch.

:lmao

I'll be around from time to time. :)

Kori Ellis
07-30-2005, 08:04 PM
How is it fast food?

Is Chili's a fast food joint?

At Chili's you don't stand in line and order your food.

angel_luv
07-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't necessarily characterize Malik's place as fast food. Casual dining maybe.

Philly's is not fine/ fancy dining but it is much more like Luby's than McDonalds.

Spurbanana
07-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Well, my brainchild of a father decided that we'd wait until 1:45 to get there...

I do admit that we went to trophy pics first, but we still could have gotten to Malik's without stopping at the LIBRARY for an hour :(

SequSpur
07-30-2005, 11:22 PM
what a waste of time......

Spurbanana
07-30-2005, 11:26 PM
what is? Malik's? Trophy pics? The library? Your life?

Don't worry I am only kidding!