PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett Johansson’s ‘Her’ Performance Deserves Oscar Love

Rogue
12-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Scarlett Johansson may be a red carpet-walking Siren in life, but she has never oozed more sexuality than she does with just her voice in 'Her.' Will the Academy oblige?Scarlett Johansson has never been more alluring than she is in Her.
Her coy sexuality has never been so tantalizing. She’s as vivacious and gregarious as she is sensual and deep. She both gives her most nuanced performance yet and sears her status as one of the most desirable actresses working in Hollywood today.
And you never see her.
Johansson is Samantha in Her. Samantha is just a voice. She’s a new advanced operating system used by Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix), a Siri-like tool used to make every task in life easier, but one also capable of intuition, insight, and emotional growth akin to a human’s. She’s sensitive and soulful and bright and funny and incredibly sexy. Theodore falls in love with her, and she with Theodore.
It’s ludicrous on principle but it makes sense, and that’s owed to Johansson’s voice work. She brings a character and a love story to life with more believability and humanity than most female performances in film romances have been able to do in recent memory—without the added tool of a face and body to work with.
She deserves to be nominated for an Oscar. She probably won’t be. In fact, many voters probably won’t even consider her, finding the idea of nominating a voice performance as preposterous as falling in love with an operating system. It’s a shame, and it’s time for that to change.
Throughout the years, the conventional wisdom was that voice performances were “half performances.” Because they don’t have to convey anything or “act” with their bodies, the argument is that voice performers are only required to perform half the duties of an actor, and therefore shouldn’t be rewarded with awards attention. But with the film industry constantly evolving and progressing, remaining deaf to this genre of acting is making the Academy seem even more antiquated than so many people already perceive it to be.
To understand what makes Johansson’s performance so remarkable, it’s important to truly understand what Samantha is in Her. She’s a piece of software, but she’s programmed on a future algorithm that allows an operating system to learn about itself, develop a personality, mature, get to know others, and form intimate connections. She may even—and probably does—have feelings. “Are these feelings even real?” she wonders. “Or are they just programming?” The thought startles her. “And that really hurts. Then I get angry at myself for feeling pain.”

Johansson’s soothing raspdances with whimsy, playfully attempting awkward humor and eager to please Theo.

Samantha is a person without a body. Theo doesn’t just call her when he needs help cleaning out his email inbox, he calls her when he wants to chat, needs advice, or is just thinking of her. Samantha obliging by picking up isn’t a virtue of it being her job to do so, but her desire to. Johansson’s soothing rasp dances with whimsy, playfully attempting awkward humor and eager to please Theo, who she finds just-so-charming. Their relationship follows the arc of any human-human love affair: giddiness, jitters, passion, and, ultimately, even jealousy and regret.
There’s a sex scene between Samantha and Theo. It’s just their voices, narrating what they’d be doing to each other if they had bodies that could unite. The screen cuts to black, leaving you with just the intensity of the passion in their words as stimulation. It may be the most intimate, realistic, and arousing sex scene of the year—and you don’t see a thing. You’re forced to question: how necessary is a physical connection, when an emotional one can be this intense?
“The two key factors in a great performance are whether anyone else could have played the role as well, and whether the character lingers after you’ve left the theater,” writes Tim Gray at Variety (http://variety.com/2013/film/news/scarlett-johansson-why-oscar-voters-need-to-consider-her-performance-1200852564/). There’s a small group of performances this past year that such a maxim rings true for: Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, Robert Redford in All Is Lost, Chiwetel Ejilofor in 12 Years a Slave. Scarlett Johansson doesn’t just belong on that list, she should lead that list
?Johansson may be a red-carpet walking Siren in real-life, but she has never oozed more sexuality, conveyed true beauty better, and brought to life a character with as much as complexity as she does with just her voice in Her.Nominating her for an Oscar would be monumental: no alternative actor has ever been nominated before. It’s trivia that’s a bit ridiculous when you look back on the iconic voice performances of the past: James Earl Jones as Darth Vader inStar Wars, Douglas Rain as HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey, Robin Williams inAladdin, Eddie Murphy in Shrek, Ellen DeGeneres in Finding Nemo
Actors have won Oscars for not speaking (Jean Dujardin in The Artist). Actors have won actors for just singing (Anne Hathaway in Les Misérables). Actors have won Oscars for sassily stepping over a puddle in period clothing (Judi Dench inShakespeare in Love). Aren’t those performances as much “half performances” as any voice-only effort? Shouldn’t the year’s best performances, its best art, be rewarded, regardless on what percentage of it appears on screen?
It’s not the first time the issue’s been raised. Campaigns were waged for Murphy and DeGeneres nominations, but film buffs really rallied to the cause as motion-capture performances began transcending CGI gimmickry and started requiring actors to provide their characters with real emotional heft. There were rumblings that Zoe Saldana could break the glass ceiling for Avatar, but the rumblings roared for Andy Serkis’s work as a primate in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.Wrote Rolling Stone at the time (http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-20110804): “To watch what actor Andy Serkis does as Caesar, the lead ape in this movie, is to witness a kind of miracle…deserving an Oscar nod from an Academy long suspicious of this ‘hybrid’ performance art.
There are indications that a shift could be coming, and, surprisingly, they stretch back decades. Even though the Hollywood Foreign Press ruled that Johansson wasn’t eligible to be nominated at the Golden Globes, the organization did reward Robin Williams with a special award for voicing the Genie in Aladdin in 1993. BAFTA nominated Eddie Murphy for Best Supporting Actor for Shrek in 2002, and the Critics Choice Awards put Serkis on the supporting actor shortlist for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And Johansson? She won Best Actress at this year’s Rome Film Festival, kicking off a passionate, if perhaps ultimately fruitless, awards campaign.
The issue of “invisible” performances isn’t going to go away. James Cameron just announced that three (for the love of god) Avatar sequels are about to begin production. There’s hope for you yet, Zoe Saldana! Technology in filmmaking continues to advance, which means what is possible to show on the big screen is finally catching up to the imagination. Who knows what creatures and monsters and computer-generated wonders are waiting to be brought to life by motion-capture and voice actors?
And, to explicitly relate back to Her, Siri is a real thing! Operating systems with sophisticated voices, talking computers, robots, androids—the future in those realms is boundless. Does Meryl Streep have to voice one in order for Academy to take a performance as one seriously?
As romantic as Her is, it’s also epically heartbreaking, with so much of the love between Samantha and Theo rooted on wishful thinking: “I’d kiss the corner of your mouth.” Sadly, it seems the same wistfulness will permeate all our own love affair with Johansson’s performance, as it’s not likely that Oscar will take notice

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12/18/how-the-u-s-paid-top-karzai-aide.html

Reck
12-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I wanna see what the big thing is about this movie. I want to watch it but not gonna spend 12 bucks on it.

Thebesteva
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
OP would you let her period in your mouth?

Reck
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
OP would you let her period in your mouth?

Course he would. Rogue be thirsty for Scarlett.

Rogue
12-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Agree, I've even written similar stuffs in my novels tbh

here's an excerpt from "Revenge of Reynolds"

As I looked further down, something that I had never seen before came to my sight. It was such a marvelous word, the creases of skin on each half, the pinkness hidden inside… I stretched the two pieces apart using my index and middle fingers, curiously and carefully, and the pink interior part was fully revealed. The membrane was so thin the blood seemed to be seeping out of the flesh. The whole part looked so tender I didn’t dare to touch a finger on it.

I moved my head even closer and extended my tongue out, which was probably the softest part of my body I could think of at this moment… I wasn’t satisfied with just seeing it. I also craved to touch it, to feel it.

I sniffed at it, and it smelled like sea… Sea was home to all living things on the earth, and it made sense, because this part of her body was like the gate that every human being came out from, the cradle where every life was conceived in the very first place.

It tasted a bit salty when my tongue first touched it, but as I gradually got used to such its taste, it was all deliciousness… I further lowered my head to let my tongue go deeper, my nose rubbing against the inner side of her thigh… There was little oxygen deep in there and I felt difficulty breathing, but I didn’t care.

My tongue gradually crept in, and at the farther end, almost as far as I could reach… I felt an opening with the tip of my tongue, and some thick liquid tricking from it slowly. The liquid tasted a bit bitter and acrid, similar to the taste of an unripe kiwi, and I could tell it wasn’t secreted from her body because it felt so differently on my tongue. It felt like a sting and almost painful, I felt as if the liquid was coagulating on the tip of my tongue… it made me retch.

I jerked my head out as quickly as I could. I felt light-headed, overwhelmed by a strong sense of guilt… How could I allow another guy to fuck my girlfriend, right in front of my eyes? I kept condemning myself, I couldn’t forgive myself…

Rogue
12-18-2013, 09:03 PM
And

“I… Lucy, I want your blood… I want it in my mouth. You had my juice in your mouth and I want a compensation, bitch.”

“Hehe…” She giggled triumphantly, “Sure, but would you find it too gross?”

“Fuck no. I’ll enjoy it jubilantly just like you did mine in your mouth and hands.”

Lucy kissed me affectionately then moved her hands off my pants. I knew she was going to undress herself and serve me the blood, so I swiftly grasped her hands to stop her, “Lucy, let me do it please. I won’t do no harm to you, I promise…”

I rested her hands on her stomach, while my hands went on down… I held the brim of her jeans in my hands trying to unbuckle it, but I realized that it had already been unbuckled. So I pulled the jeans down, then the panties…

It was something similar to what I saw at Lucy’s home a couple of days ago, though there was a little difference… I saw a white string hanging down there. I pinched it with two fingers then began to pull it outwards slowly and cautiously, millimeter by millimeter.

“Does it hurt, honey?” I asked Lucy considerately.

“No, it doesn’t, don’t treat it like a landmine, Rogue, it ain’t gonna blow.”

It wasn’t a bomb but, I was still doing it as slowly as if it was, not only for the fear of hurting her but also that I was really enjoying this process… seeing the white cylinder coming out and the change of its color by each millimeter. It pleased me as much as an avid drinker who was greedily unplugging a bottle of vintage.

As the tampon gradually crept out, the color of its inner end grew thicker and redder, which also reflected the change of my blood’s pH level…

I put my mouth near her pussy and extended my mouth out under it as I fathomed there wasn’t much length left inside… I thought there would be a flow coming out once the plug was gone, and I wouldn’t wanna miss even a single drip of it.

And finally, the plug was completely out, but there was no flow… just a tiny hole wetted with blood. I was rather disappointed, but not ready to get up yet…

I kissed the root of one thigh a few times… like I had knocked on the door, her legs spread wider which allowed my mouth to move even closer… close enough for my lips to touch those of her vulva’s.

I began kissing her ferociously, by the other end of her body though… the hair felt on my cheek, the wetness of her lips and the membrane inside… everything felt familiar to me, except for the taste of blood which kind of tricked me into thinking I had bitten and injured her mouth.

I moved a hand on her abdomen then began pressing it gently, hoping to pump more blood into my mouth though I felt like I had already drunk a quart of it… I felt as if I had become a vampire. And the more I drank the more hunger I got.

Rogue
12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Her well had run dry when I wasn’t even half full… I longed to drink more of it. I felt a sudden impulse to bite her pussy off so there would be a plenitude of blood coming out to quench my thirst, I wanted to eat her alive even… But I promised her to not cause any harm to her, and even if I hadn’t, how would I allow myself to ever hurt my little angel? It was sinful enough to even think about it. ‘What an asshole you are to even think about it, Rogue.’ I condemned myself.

“Lucy… I hope you’ll start using cups instead, to collect the blood for me to drink… I so envy your damn tampons.”

“Good advice, Rogue, I’ll switch to cups when we get back to Dallas.” She responded.

“Get back to Dallas?” I was confused, having totally forgotten about our scheduled trip to LA, a trip I was once so excited about, a trip that would bring me back to my goddess, and bring her back home eventually.

“Rogue, you forgot about the flight, honey?” Lucy was still clear about everything, “I’ve only brought a bag of tampons with me so… you’ll have to wait until at least we return to Dallas.”

“Oh, yes, the trip… we’re supposed to go to LA.”

“And Rogue, I think we’ve already wasted too much time and there’s not enough time to have a shower even.”

“But… I need to change my pants, at the very least, give me a few minutes…”

“Sure, I also need to insert a new tampon but it won’t take long, I’ll be waiting for you in the car, so… hurry up.”

Lucy might like the dampness of my pants but to be quite honest, it felt direly uncomfortable, so I couldn’t wait to take off that shit as soon as I reached my bedroom. The semen had already coagulated and the shit felt like an old piece of leather now, and some of my pubic hair was even glued on it, so firmly it was almost painful to pull it down.

chunticakes
12-18-2013, 09:06 PM
but the question is would you let her period in your mouth Rogue?

Rogue
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
but the question is would you let her period in your mouth Rogue (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14710)?
its NOT even a question bro, of course I would. If you give me a bottle of her period I would store it in the refrigerator and only take a swig of it everyday or every week, I gotta economize on it so I'll have something so delicious to drink throughout my life, and you know that shit will become extremely valuable in 20yrs something when our goddess reaches the age of menopause.

Reck
12-18-2013, 09:24 PM
its NOT even a question bro, of course I would. If you give me a bottle of her period I would store it in the refrigerator and only take a swig of it everyday or every week, I gotta economize on it so I'll have something so delicious to drink throughout my life, and you know that shit will become extremely valuable in 20yrs something when our goddess reaches the age of menopause.

Good deal.

Synthesize it and mass produce it and drink it like fucking true blood.

Didn't you mention majoring in some sort of science field? Good start.

Rogue
12-18-2013, 10:26 PM
I majored in "applied physics" for undergraduate years so it's not really my field, but a current graduate school classmate got his bachelor's degree in food processing so maybe he knows how to synthesize and mass produce it tbh.

chunticakes
12-19-2013, 07:41 PM

maaaaaahhhhh nigga.

The Gemini Method
12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Per usual, on my quest to watch all things Oscar-worthy, I will see this. Also, I am a wannabe member of Rogue's Goddess Fan Club so the movie has that going for it. Also, Spike Jonze is a weirdo and they usually make pretty interesting movies.

Holden_Caulfield
12-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Alyssa Milano turned 41 today, still hot.

Reck
12-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Alyssa Milano turned 41 today, still hot.

She's my second goddess.

Loved...love that chick back in the Poison Ivy days. Hot in Charmed too.

Rogue
12-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Per usual, on my quest to watch all things Oscar-worthy, I will see this. Also, I am a wannabe member of Rogue's Goddess Fan Club so the movie has that going for it. Also, Spike Jonze is a weirdo and they usually make pretty interesting movies.

why a wannabe member bro? Just get yourself a Goddess avatar and you become a formal member of our Fan Club, and it ain't no longer just My Goddess Fan club tbh, she's OUR goddess :cry

Reck
12-19-2013, 09:10 PM
why a wannabe member bro? Just get yourself a Goddess avatar and you become a formal member of our Fan Club, and it ain't no longer just My Goddess Fan club tbh, she's OUR goddess :cry

Its sad how everyone thinks you're the founding father of our goddess's club. You have surpassed my dedication and love for Scarlett, Rogue. You stole my thunder. :cry

Rogue
12-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Its sad how everyone thinks you're the founding father of our goddess's club. You have surpassed my dedication and love for Scarlett, Rogue. You stole my thunder. :cry

or we can simply share the whole thing together. We both love our goddess and that's all that matters. :cry We ain't gonna elect a president or shit of our Fan Club man, like the Mavs Krew or Lefty Crew or whatever shit that picklebreathed initiated and founded.

Reck
01-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Rogue (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14710) my nigga a copy of Her is out now.

I'm downloading the screener right now and will watch as soons as it downloads. This is our goddess best voice work yet, or so the rave reviews says. :cry

Rogue
01-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm still waiting for available downloads from thepiratebay. I bet our goddess will get at least an Oscar nomination for Her tbh, Oscar nominations will be announced Jan.16

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Scarlett Johansson was great...But the lady who got choked out by the dead cat was sensational...:toast

Rogue
01-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Our goddess was great and she still is, and she'll always be, forever be tbh :cry and who's the "lady who got chocked out by the dead cat" tbh?

CavsSuperFan
01-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Who's the "lady who got choked out by the dead cat" tbh?

A scene from the movie "Her"...

Reck
01-09-2014, 05:43 PM
Scarlett Johansson was great...But the lady who got choked out by the dead cat was sensational...:toast

Cubansucks would love that scene.

Cybersex with a stranger who loves getting fucked with a dead tail's cat while Phoniex pictures fucking a very pregnant woman.

Has all the ingredients cubansucks likes. :lol

Rogue
01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
^ except the lady was older than 15 though.

ColinB
02-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Just watched this. Great movie.

Reck
02-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Speaking of cats N0 LyF3 ScRuB would hate this movie since one of his beloved cats gets sexually abused. (Even though the cat was dead) :lmao

ColinB
02-09-2014, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkSenKn1Fv8

Pretty solid SNL clip.

Also, the female cast in this movie was top notch. Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, Olivia Wilde, and Scarlett Johansson. Pick one.