PDA

View Full Version : Damon Stoudamire goes to Memphis (4 years, $17M)

kolko
07-30-2005, 01:33 AM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3288811

Stoudamire finds home in Memphis

After reaching an agreement with free-agent power forward Stromile Swift two weeks ago, the Rockets turned their attention to landing a veteran guard for their backcourt.

The player atop their wish list — Houston resident Damon Stoudamire — had expressed an interest in joining the team.

But according to sources, Stoudamire and the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed on a four-year, $17 million deal that will be finished when the NBA lifts its moratorium on signings. The NBA and the players' union finished talks and completed their deal early today, clearing the way for teams to start making deals.

Stoudamire averaged 15.8 points and 5.7 assists with Portland last season.

Stoudamire, 31, appears to be a good fit for the Grizzlies, who are bracing for the loss of Earl Watson. Memphis reportedly is pursuing a sign-and-trade deal for Watson, who spent three seasons backing up point guard Jason Williams.

With Stoudamire having made $12.5 million with the Trail Blazers last season and the Rockets able to offer their salary-cap exemption of only $1.8 million, the teams reportedly were discussing a sign-and-trade deal.

Rockets forwards Clarence Weatherspoon, owed $6.53 million over the final year of his contract, and Juwan Howard, due $26 million over four years, reportedly were dangled as trade bait, but the two clubs failed to reach an agreement, paving the way for Stoudamire to sign with Memphis.

Miami and Cleveland also reportedly were interested. With Stoudamire off the market, the Rockets will alter their search.

Latrell Sprewell, Michael Finley and Gary Payton have been discussed as options.

Coincidentally, Stoudamire is set to participate in a charity softball tournament hosted by Rockets swingman Tracy McGrady this afternoon in League City.

The Rockets also learned free agent forward Scott Padgett has agreed to a multiyear deal with Phoenix. Padgett, 29, averaged 3.8 points and 2.6 rebounds over two seasons with the Rockets. He is expected to back up All-Star Amare Stoudemire.

ace3g
07-30-2005, 01:57 AM
I was thinking memphis was going to make a sign and trade with Watson; I wish the spurs could get watson because a parker/watson PG combo would kick ass. I wonder who memphis is trying to trade him to now if they are still looking to do so

boutons
07-30-2005, 02:50 AM
"spurs could get watson"

I bet Earl has Speedy-itis and is looking for a starting role.

Sense
07-30-2005, 02:51 AM
"spurs could get watson"

I bet Earl has Speedy-itis and is looking for a starting role.

Watson is not getting a starting spot anywhere...

Can't picture him that way.

ace3g
07-30-2005, 02:59 AM
again this is only if the spurs really do intend on trading rasho then how about this trade

Rasho/Beno for Wright/Watson

gospursgojas
07-30-2005, 03:07 AM
So..... Jason WIlliams, Bobby Jackson, and Damon???

Is Bobby going to play 2?

Sense
07-30-2005, 03:14 AM
So..... Jason WIlliams, Bobby Jackson, and Damon???

Is Bobby going to play 2?

I'd work... either way, I'm hoping Jason Williams gets out of there to a shitty team, that guy screws the team over.

ace3g
07-30-2005, 03:17 AM
well the grizz are looking to trade williams along with wright and watson(watson because he is a FA and they want to get something in return)

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Or maybe he hasn't agreed to terms yet ..

http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1243

Damon Shoots Down Chronicle Report

Stoudamire says no deal with Memphis is done; Houston still top choice

SATURDAY, JULY 30, 2005 10:34 PM CST

By Clutch
ClutchFans.net

According to a Houston Chronicle report on Saturday, free agent guard Damon Stoudamire had agreed to sign a 4-year pact with the Grizzlies.
Not so fast, says Mr. Stoudamire.

Local Fox news in Houston spoke with Damon at Tracy McGrady's celebrity softball game on Saturday and the 5-foot-10 point guard stated that he has not spoken with the Grizzlies and that his agent has interacted with them just once.

Stoudamire went on to say that the Rockets are his number one choice and have been for a while.

He also spoke with Channel 2 News in Houston, adding that Portland was "trying to block everything I'm doing", likely alluding to sign-and-trade attempts by the Rockets.

The fact that Stoudamire did say good things about the situation in Memphis could suggest that the the Grizzlies have in fact put an offer out on the table, but the guard likely is holding out hope that Houston and Portland can come to an agreement on a trade.

csw225
07-31-2005, 12:42 PM
damon will start bobby will back him up

earl watson will get traded or sign somewhere most importantly he wont be in memphis (jazz, 76ers, rockets) just possibilities

and i read on insidehoops.com today that jerry west has a 3 team deal that would send jwill somewhere but he declined to say who the other 2 teams are

Kori Ellis
08-05-2005, 03:28 PM
It's official now.

Grizzlies sign guard Damon Stoudamire

Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Guard Damon Stoudamire on Friday signed a four-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies, who traded Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells earlier this week.

The 10-year veteran spent the past eight seasons in Portland. He is coming off his best season with the Trail Blazers, averaging 15.8 points and 5.7 assists and shooting 91.5 percent from the foul line.

"Damon is an experienced veteran and proven leader on the court," said Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations. "We feel we have added a significant player to our team and know that he will help take us to a different level than where we are today."

The 5-foot-10 guard was drafted in the first round by Toronto in 1995 and was the 1996 rookie of the year. He was traded to Portland 49 games into the 1997-98 season. He left Portland ranked second behind Terry Porter for career 3-pointers and third in assists.

Marcus Bryant
08-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Houston always ends up salivating over every free agent and then stuck with crap that was the hot flavor of the moment.