PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Under Pressure from China to Keep Windows XP

mouse
12-19-2013, 10:34 PM
While the rest of the world probably is coming to terms with the fact that Windows XP is no more, the Chinese government is taking a stand. Call it the last stand, if you wish, but China is certainly putting pressure on the software giant to continue support for what could very well be the best Microsoft operating system to have been created.

According to a report by TechWeb, Yan Xiaohong, who is the deputy director of China’s National Copyright Administration, has been busy meeting with Microsoft in an attempt to convince them to change their decision about stopping support for Windows XP. The site is in Chinese, but Google Translate does an okay job – as long as you exert a little effort to make sense of the translation. The same article mentions that Microsoft is not the only software company that Yan Xiaohong has been meeting with.

http://techbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/windows_xp_boot1.jpg

What is interesting about this report is the nuance that the plea is largely based on “serious security risks for many machines in the PRC, with opportunistic cyber criminals looking to exploit vulnerabilities in the software once security updates end on April 8th 2014.” (Source)

That’s because a huge chunk of the Chinese market still relies on Windows XP.

Of course, the highlight of this whole issue is piracy.

It is common knowledge that China is a piracy haven. Or maybe, it was. This year, the government has taken a drastic step by actually purchasing legal software for its central and provincial offices. Needless to say, prior to that, the government offices used pirated software. Now what if they had spent a huge part of the supposedly $160 million of software purchases on Windows XP?

Quite understandable that the government will try to dissuade Microsoft from discontinuing support for the operating system, yeah? Then again, whoever was in charge of the software purchasing should be held liable. After all, it’s not like Microsoft hadn’t been talking about the future (or non-future) of Windows XP way back!

How do you think Microsoft will respond to this pressure?

TDMVPDPOY
12-19-2013, 10:41 PM
MOST FKN users in asia dont even use legit windows....all pirated versions

fck them

MS should just tell them to bend over and upgrade

Reck
12-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm still using Windows XP and I will not be denied. :lol

I've tried, Vista, 7 and more and I simply dont like it.

I'm going Mac when this puppy goes belly up.

m>s
12-19-2013, 11:22 PM
fuck chinkna

mouse
12-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Some guy named MAllen went off on Tech Beat. :lmao

http://techbeat.com/2013/12/microsoft-under-pressure-from-china-to-keep-windows-xp/

MAllen Documentaires
• 5 minutes ago

The truth is the only reason many of you felt XP was outdated was because Vista came along. I could see it happening back right after 9/11 Xp doesn't have all the back doors that Vista supplied Microsoft, the Gaming and software industry needed to check your computer for pirated software. With Vista not only can they check the software for authentication on your PC they can shut down or make windows inoperable.

Many of us old school geeks didn't appreciate Xp when it first came out we felt why can't Microsoft just gives us an upgrade pack after all what does XP really do that windows 2000 ,ME and 98 Plus couldn't? yes I know it looks cool and many different sounds ect...but the truth is many offices were still using windows 2000 years after XP came along. Then as soon as we got used to XP and its flaws here comes Vista like shinny new car, all of a sudden that 2006 Toyota Camry doesn't look like the car in the supper bowl commercial so everyone has to upgrade.

The bottom line many of us still drive our 2007 Ford F150s and some of us still like using our heavy ass DELL 9300 Inspiron laptops with XP inside. Why should we have to conform to these Marshal law / Monsanto gestapo like tactics just so Bill Gates can laugh while sitting in his 19 and 1/2 bath home at some poor 11 year old kid in China trying to sell his fathers counterfeit goods on eBay?

You may want to take our Guns, and sell our water as you read our emails but I will be dam if your gonna take away my XP! You will have to come and take it from my cold dead hard drive.

who's here is with me?....................lets roll!..........................

(long pause)

insert sounds of crickets ......... Bueller?..........Bueller?

WTF happened to the Tech Beat I used to know? Where’s the spirit?
Where’s the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives,
but you’re gonna let it be the worst. “Ooh, we’re afraid to go with you
MAllen we might get in trouble.with Microsoft” Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not
me! I’m not gonna take this. Window 8 your dead Google + your dead to me like a GMO Chicken breast . And YouTube, KMA and take your copyright righteous 6 month time out penalty for using 20 seconds of "Stevie Wonder's isn't she lovely " song on my child's first baby steps video I tried to upload last week lame ass back to the MySpace graveyard where your over moderated site will end up as soon as "MyTube" comes around and gives the people of this earth the freedom to to upload as we wish..I'm done with you and your NWO...............(the sounds of tin foil being wrapped around my laptop)

mouse
12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
and it was deleted...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/th_Video_2013-12-19_230256_zpsac74126f.jpg (http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/Video_2013-12-19_230256_zpsac74126f.mp4)

DJR210
12-20-2013, 01:02 AM

fck them

Rogue
12-20-2013, 07:00 AM
XP is easily the best OS that has ever been created imho, awesome stability + user friendly control panel. And there's nothing wrong using pirated versions. Those software giants just don't know that sharing is one of life's biggest pleasures tbh.

m>s
12-20-2013, 10:14 AM
XP is easily the best OS that has ever been created imho, awesome stability + user friendly control panel. And there's nothing wrong using pirated versions. Those software giants just don't know that sharing is one of life's biggest pleasures tbh.
Then surely you want my paypal info to share your parents money with me, right?

BigZak
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
windows 98 for the win! :lol

Rogue
12-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Then surely you want my paypal info to share your parents money with me, right?
money and knowledge ain't the same thing my friend. Like, when I write a novel I'd be glad to share it with all Scarlett fans in worldwide without charging anything, but I'd feel ashamed to let someone else pay the bill for me tbh. Too many people are monetizing knowledge in the world these years which's the main reason why our education system has gone so corrupt imho, they do scientific research for money but not for new knowledge.

Rogue
12-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I do respect people's intellectual property of course, and that's why I'd never claim anyone's writing as mine or let anyone claim anything I wrote. People deserve sort of reward for their intellectual property and the efforts behind it but it doesn't mean they're privileged to rob other people just because they thought of some new idea before other people did tbh.

Susan Boyle
12-20-2013, 08:51 PM
windows 98 for the win! :lol

98 Plus was the $hit!
remember the intro music? I used to post a windows code when entering the AOL and WOAI chat rooms in the 90s it drove people crazy.

iIffwNa7o58

baseline bum
12-20-2013, 08:53 PM

fckgw them

fify

Susan Boyle
12-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Facebook Officially Releases Video Ads
Facebook has announced (http://newsroom.fb.com/News/776/Testing-a-New-Way-to-Watch-Promoted-Videos-in-News-Feed)that it will now be placing video advertisements into the news feeds of its users.
In a blog post the company said: “Marketers will be able to use this new format to tell their stories to a large number of people on Facebook in a short amount of time — with high-quality sight, sound and motion. This approach will continue to improve the quality of ads that you see in News Feed.”

http://techbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/facebook-video-ads-e1387318027501.jpg

These ads will play automatically on both mobile devices and desktop pcs but there will be no sound unless the user clicks, taps or views the ad in full screen.
In a bid to minimize users data consumption, Facebook has said that videos will only be downloaded on to mobile devices when the devices are connected to Wi-Fi networks.
Facebook used a demo video embedded in a typical news feed, showing users how it will work and what to expect. The company has been testing video content since September and the response has meant that the introduction has gone ahead. “As a result, we’ve seen views, likes, shares and comments increase more than 10 percent,” the company wrote in a blog post.
What do you think of Facebook using video advertising in its news feeds?