PDA

View Full Version : UnFuckenbelievable! Foam May Have Struck Shuttle Wing

Nbadan
07-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Nasa officials have said they now believe at least one shard of protective foam may have hit a wing of the Discovery space shuttle.
But they said they were confident the craft would make a safe return.

Nasa deputy programme manager Wayne Hale said new photographic evidence appeared to suggest an impact with one of the wings.

But he stressed there was a "divergence of opinion" at Nasa on whether the foam had actually made contact.

"There are 11 indications of potential impacts," said Steve Poulos, manager of the orbiter project office.

"We might have four areas of the wing leading edge where there might have been an impact."

Mr Hale said he did not believe the impact had caused any damage to the shuttle.

But in January 2003, the Columbia shuttle broke up as it re-entered the Earth's atmosphere after a piece of insulating foam struck its wing.

Although officials said the shuttle Atlantis could be launched as part of a rescue operation and was being held "on readiness", they stressed they were "nowhere near doing that".

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4726543.stm)

Here (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/investigations/q0131.shtml) is a useful link to a Columbia Space Shuttle Foam Impact Investigation site.

Clandestino
07-30-2005, 08:55 AM
it happened all the fucking time and only caused one accident... not newsworthy.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Of course it's newsworthy -- future shuttle flights have been grounded because of this. It's the same thing NASA has spent $1.4 BILLION to try to fix.

It's newsworthy alright.

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Of course it's newsworthy -- future shuttle flights have been grounded because of this. It's the same thing NASA has spent $1.4 BILLION to try to fix.

It's newsworthy alright.
Actually, only $100 Million, of the $1.4 Billion total refurbishing price tag, went to the problem of keeping crap from falling off the external fuel tank. But, your point is well made.

That's why everyone, from the mission commander to NASA's administrator seem so exasperated. It's also why all future flights are grounded until they figure it out.

it happened all the fucking time and only caused one accident... not newsworthy.
Well, since mass, shape, and velocity have a lot to do with the downward trajectory of a falling object, it is merely the luck of chaotic physics that kept the falling piece of debris -- (as large or larger than the one that struck the leading edge of the Shuttle Columbia's wing) -- from striking a vulnerable part of the Shuttle Discovery.

You're pretty cavalier with other people's lives and the billions of taxpayer dollars, tied up in each launch, when you suggest dodging the unpredictable descent of a piece of debris with the unchangable ascent of a billions-of-dollars piece of equipment, carrying loved ones, should be left to chance and dismissed as an acceptable crap shoot.

I'm no rocket scientist so maybe I'm being naive but, why can they just insert a solid, aerodynamic shield between the tank and the shuttle that detaches with the tank? It would keep all the debris on the tank side and all the shuttle intact on the shuttle side?

Are there any rocket scientists in here that can answer that? :lmao

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm no rocket scientist so maybe I'm being naive but, why can they just insert a solid, aerodynamic shield between the tank and the shuttle that detaches with the tank? It would keep all the debris on the tank side and all the shuttle intact on the shuttle side?

Are there any rocket scientists in here that can answer that? :lmao

I'm no rocket scientist, but I have read in several places that the construction of the shuttle delivery system (2 solid rocket boosters and an external tank) is predicated on it being both strong and relatively light. That's, at least in part (as I understand things) why they used foam instead of a material that wouldn't break apart, perhaps like a metal or a metal alloy. They obviously believe that there is some inherent positive to using foam; otherwise, the last 2 1/2 years would have resulted in a similar tank built with a different material.

I think the shuttle system and space exploration generally are worthy programs and serve good purposes. But if the system isn't feasible without putting people in grave danger with every launch, then maybe its time to take a break, similar to the one between the end of Apollo and the beginning of the Shuttle era, to regroup and find another economical and safe vehicle to deliver us into space and, eventually, beyond the Earth's gravity.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Actually, only $100 Million, of the $1.4 Billion total refurbishing price tagPoint taken.

I'm for scrapping the Shuttle early and starting over. Get a few more Soyuz in flight in the interim and see if it makes sense to work with the Ruskies on their Kliper program.

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 10:14 AM
By the way, Nbadan! Thanks for the cool link...

I must admit, I was completely taken aback when I went there an didn't find any information on how the moon landing was faked or that Christa McAuliffe was recently seen buying a Slurpee at 7-Eleven.

JoeChalupa
07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
We landed on the moon?

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 10:22 AM
We landed on the moon?
No, don't believe any of that propaganda found in Nbadan's post. The Moon landing was staged at the infamous Area 51.

JoeChalupa
07-30-2005, 10:24 AM
No, don't believe any of that propaganda found in Nbadan's post. The Moon landing was staged at the infamous Area 51.

:lol My mother still has doubts.

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 10:35 AM
:lol My mother still has doubts.
Well, the world needs entertainment...

Clandestino
07-30-2005, 11:31 AM
it happened on every single shuttle launch and nothing was ever mentioned.. one crash and all of the sudden it is some huge crisis... not to me...

CommanderMcBragg
07-30-2005, 11:36 AM
it happened on every single shuttle launch and nothing was ever mentioned.. one crash and all of the sudden it is some huge crisis... not to me...

One crash is one too many for me.

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Aerospaceweb.org (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/)

Nbadan's single most significant contribution to this forum, EVER!

GoldToe
07-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Aerospaceweb.org (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/)

Nbadan's single most significant contribution to this forum, EVER!

Most shocking post EVER!

The Ressurrected One
07-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Most shocking post EVER!
Hey, it's a cool website. Got to give credit where credit is due.

And, if I might rephrase my original post. It may be Nbadan's ONLY contribution to this forum.