PDA

View Full Version : Why does the NBA love OKC so much?

Aremid
12-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I understand why the NBA favors big markets but okc market is small

RD2191
12-21-2013, 03:31 PM
:wakeup

Bruno
12-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Because Stern and their owner are best buds.

weebo
12-21-2013, 03:35 PM
It's not so much OKC as much as it is Durant. The NBA is trying to create attention amongst the casual NBA fan by creating a superstar in the western conference that can match Lebron in the east. In other words, the NBA would love nothing more than to have a Durant vs. Lebron rivalry.

Aremid
12-21-2013, 03:39 PM
It's not so much OKC as much as it is Durant. The NBA is trying to create attention amongst the casual NBA fan by creating a superstar in the western conference that can match Lebron in the east. In other words, the NBA would love nothing more than to have a Durant vs. Lebron rivalry.

Then how come when Duncan was in his prime the nba never created Duncan Kobe or Duncan Garnett or Duncan Nowitzki?

daslicer
12-21-2013, 03:42 PM
They are hoping that Durant-Lebron can become like a Bird-Magic rivalry. For the last few years they have tried to make Durant to be the anti-Lebron which is a guy who is honorable and loyal to his team unlike Lebron who left the Cavs. I don't think Durant is any one of those two things but the media is trying to portray it that way. Also Durant loves attention which is something Duncan never did thus the NBA media's hatred of him.

Bruno
12-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Clay Bennett (Thunder owner) email to Stern:

David you know how I feel about our relationship both personally and professionally. You are among a very few, notwithstanding our relative brief actual physical time together that have significantly affected my life. I view you as a role model as an extraordinarily gifted executive, a deep and compassionate thinker, and a person with a rare and unique charisma that brings out the best in everyone you touch. You are just one of my favorite people on earth

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4701/reading-clay-bennett-s-e-mail

Budkin
12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Easy, LeBron and Durant are the two most popular players in the NBA that are in their primes and they are being forced into a new "rivalry." The NBA knows they bring in big bucks so they favor them. If Durant ever leaves OKC you can bet that shit ends for them, same with Miami and James.

Dex
12-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Easy, LeBron and Durant are the two most popular players in the NBA that are in their primes and they are being forced into a new "rivalry." The NBA knows they bring in big bucks so they favor them. If Durant ever leaves OKC you can bet that shit ends for them, same with Miami and James.

Case in point: look how many national TV appearances Cleveland got after Lebron went to Miami.

heyheymymy
12-21-2013, 05:26 PM
marketable stars

itzsoweezee
12-21-2013, 05:40 PM
It's simple. Durant and Westbrook are two young exciting players that everyone loves to watch play.

Budkin
12-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Case in point: look how many national TV appearances Cleveland got after Lebron went to Miami.

Exactly. I'm sure in 10 years we'll all be asking why the league loves the Bucks so much when they have some amazing player none of us knows about yet.

TXstbobcat
12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
The star power of Durant.

cd98
12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Thunder have a top level team that is fun to watch. They are exactly what the league loves to market with the only hit being they are a small market team. NBA also secretly likes the Spurs because they win in a small market and their players don't embarrass the league. Whenever anyone starts bad mouthing the league, they always refer to the Spurs.

james evans
12-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Then how come when Duncan was in his prime the nba never created Duncan Kobe or Duncan Garnett or Duncan Nowitzki?
cuz tim duncan is a model teammate that plays team/fundamental basketball. nobody in the hood or on the playgrounds want to be like tim duncan. when he gets a dunk or hits a game winner, he's not jumping up and down like a wild rabbit pumping his chest, throwing 3 point signs and yelling at the crowd. he's calm and cool as if he's saying, "i've done this before. this is common for me..". that's why. to duncan, a layup is just as good as a thunderous dunk and winning, even if it means not scoring, is the most important thing. this is a "lame" message to promote

james evans
12-21-2013, 06:27 PM
i'm telling u, i really think the lakers and celtics are gonna get the top 2 picks in the draft so the league can milk this parker vs wiggins rivalry. if they don't go to those teams, wherever they end up, i can see the league trying to market their rivalry as the ncaa did with the kansas/duke matchup(and neither of them wanted to guard each other)..

Reck
12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I actually think it had to do with them being a new team. Good ol' Stern gave them a crutch to lean on.

With that said, Durant has set himself apart and is now elite and must be protected by all means.

Leetonidas
12-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Good question tbh they are boring as fuck, all they do is flop and draw bullshit fouls and shoot free throws the whole game. Pretty unentertaining tbh

james evans
12-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Good question tbh they are boring as fuck, all they do is flop and draw bullshit fouls and shoot free throws the whole game. Pretty unentertaining tbh
obviously freethrow shooting is the new exciting, cuz that's all i ever see miami do as well when lebron isn't dunking.

pgardn
12-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Athletes on OKC.

Spurs finish great passing with a layup.
Aint nobody got time for that.

Prime Time
12-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't think they love OKC as much they do KD's Talent/RB's Glasses.

KaiRMD1
12-21-2013, 09:32 PM

But Durant doesn't match Lebron, not even close

timmy2003
12-21-2013, 09:38 PM
But he is the best candidate to challenge Lebron

KaiRMD1
12-21-2013, 09:41 PM
But he is the best candidate to challenge Lebron

Right now, Paul George is. Durant has seriously regressed to being a free throw chaser. If Durant goes back to what he used to do and just relies on his skills, then yes but not anymore.

Man In Black
12-21-2013, 10:10 PM
It's simple. Durant and Westbrook are two young exciting AMERICAN players that everyone(in the Media) loves to watch play.

fify - NATIONALISM exists.

Clipper Nation
12-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Stern has a vested interest in OKC's success in order to justify allowing Seattle to get fucked over, tbh.... Durflop and Westbrick being marketable is a side bonus....

HI-FI
12-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Stern has a vested interest in OKC's success in order to justify allowing Seattle to get fucked over, tbh.... Durflop and Westbrick being marketable is a side bonus....
pretty much this. I'd say of the top reasons, no.1 is the NBA is doing everything it can, short of 2002 WCFesque levels of tomfoolery,to hook OKC up so they have a reason to stay engaged. When you're crashing hard on meth, the last thing you want is a shitty team to watch.

Next is the superstar reason, but even Lebron doesn't get nearly the love from the refs and he's better than both.

Third is Clay Bennett could quite possibly be buttfucking David Stern, not sure on that though.

.G.
12-21-2013, 11:18 PM

But marketable to whom? I seriously doubt the league caters to hippsters n shit. Thats what I dont understand at times.
For me, this is all about the league reaching for "stars" by molding them and paving their way to success. Meh

TampaDude
12-21-2013, 11:20 PM

^ this

LeBron is THE BEST BASKETBALL PLAYER IN THE WORLD right now, and it's not even close.

timmy2003
12-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Right now, Paul George is. Durant has seriously regressed to being a free throw chaser. If Durant goes back to what he used to do and just relies on his skills, then yes but not anymore.
Durant is still the better scorer at this stage but I agree that Paul is a terrific all around player.

james evans
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
durant is as one dimensional as they come. as tall as he is with those long arms, he can't average 10 rebounds a game and his defense is horrible. in 2012, spoelstra attacked him on defense, something popovich didn't do, so by the 4th period, he was fresh and scored a lot. but yeah i know, popovich is a hall of fame coach. i should never question his tactics... he knows everything.

Bill_Brasky
12-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Clay Bennett (Thunder owner) email to Stern:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4701/reading-clay-bennett-s-e-mail

Holy shit its like a love letter.

BanditHiro
12-22-2013, 02:27 PM

because Duncan isn't a perimeter player...if he was, despite his demeanor, he would still be hyped up and marketed. the league and media are always looking for their next Jordan and never the next Kareem or Wilt etc.

wildbill2u
12-22-2013, 03:02 PM
The league office wants to promote the new generation of stars. Look at their advertising and you will see players like Durant, Westbrook, Paul George , Chris Paul, Blake Griffen and Steph Curry along with Lebron.

bklynspursfan
12-22-2013, 08:42 PM
28 FTA thus far tonight, not even mid-way thru the 3rd.