PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Title DVD v 2005

Brutalis
07-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Compare and contrast. Was the 2003 DVD any good?

ALVAREZ6
07-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Haven't seen the 2003 DVD, but I have the 2005. I personally think they could have included more stuff on the DVD like maybe the whoe entire game 7 instead of the 4th quarter...

Kori Ellis
07-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Someone started this same thread yesterday and no one really responded. But a lot of people have commented on both DVD's in this thread

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22037

Boo
07-30-2005, 12:42 PM
2003 was better, they showed all of the clinching quarters from the 1st round to the finals.

But the other bonus features were good, like the Tim Ducnan one.

DDS4
07-30-2005, 01:02 PM
2003 DVD >> 2005 DVD

I still watch the 2003 game 6 of the Lakers series to this day.

davi78239
07-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Yea, I was disappointed that they didn't include all the clinching 4th quarters like they did in 03. I would have loved to see the Seattle game 6 one. To me, that was my favorite clincher aside from game 7 of course.

2centsworth
07-30-2005, 02:22 PM
no even close '03>'05. what i wanted to see in the '05 video.

1. "Momentum changing overtimes" which included the entire overtime for the following games:

* Phoenix regular season in Jan
* Golden State
* Detroit game 5

2. Best plays of the year showing all the dunks and crazy shots.

Think of all the great highlights-

* Tim's Ferocious dunk over Ben Wallace
* Devin's Ollyoop pass from Barry
* Tony's Breakaway dunk against Houston
* All sorts of Manu stuff
* Horry's dunk against Detroit
* Horry's game winning 3 with him holding his nutz afterwards

3. Something called Lock Down- All about the Spurs "D"

Instead we got fluff and a crappy product.

Dre_7
07-30-2005, 02:48 PM
2003 DVD is so much better. I agree with 2centsworth, alota fluff. Needed more!

Brutalis
07-30-2005, 02:50 PM
ALV.. the entire game 7 is on the dvd in your bonus stuff.

Im going out to get the 2003 dvd at best buy right now, thanks guys. And thanks Kori for the thread link.

Streakyshooter08
07-30-2005, 03:00 PM
There are no scenes from Game 5 against the Pistons??? I hoped the Horry heroics would be on that DVD. How about Championship celebration and river parade? I hope its better than you guys tell me right now. I payed 30$ for shipping alone... :(

baseline bum
07-30-2005, 03:09 PM
The 2003 DVD is lame. The clinching quarters are awesome, but the main feature is crap and looks like it was thrown together way too quickly. The 2005 DVD is way better IMO because it captures all of the big moments, and the production value is so much better.

I couldn't believe the 2003 DVD. I never saw Kevin Willis' halfcourt shot versus LA. It never even showed Manu's strip of Jefferson at halfcourt in game 6. It totally neglected Jack shooting the team back into the game from 13 down in game 6 vs Dallas. No Duncan-Robinson high-low alley-oop near the end in game 5 vs LA, which brought the house down when it looked like the game was slipping away. No shot of Speedy flexing to the crowd in game 2 vs LA. There were so many amazing moments of the 2003 title run that weren't captured in that piece of crap. Imagine the 2005 DVD ignoring Manu's halfcourt shot in game 1 vs Phoenix, or the crazy backward layup in game 2.

Also, the 2003 DVD seemed less like a celebration of an amazing year than a shot at the franchise. It was always coming in with lines like "they showed a toughness they hadn't before shown" and crap like that. It focused so much on the games they blew (games 1 & 5 vs Dallas for example), and just blew through their awesome games 1 & 2 performances vs. LA while spending forever showing Kobe going nuts in the 4th quarter of game 5.

The 2005 DVD was excellent IMO (from the 45 minutes or so that I've seen). I loved how they spent five minutes showing how much Pop means to the team. I thought the narration was way better. The production looked so much more professional. The NBA really tried (and succeeded) in making something to celebrate an amazing year. The 2003 DVD just looks like something the league made because they had to.

2centsworth
07-30-2005, 03:18 PM
The 2003 DVD is lame. The clinching quarters are awesome, but the main feature is crap and looks like it was thrown together way too quickly. The 2005 DVD is way better IMO because it captures all of the big moments, and the production value is so much better.

I couldn't believe the 2003 DVD. I never saw Kevin Willis' halfcourt shot versus LA. It never even showed Manu's strip of Jefferson at halfcourt in game 6. It totally neglected Jack shooting the team back into the game from 13 down in game 6 vs Dallas. No Duncan-Robinson high-low alley-oop near the end in game 5 vs LA, which brought the house down when it looked like the game was slipping away. No shot of Speedy flexing to the crowd in game 2 vs LA. There were so many amazing moments of the 2003 title run that weren't captured in that piece of crap. Imagine the 2005 DVD ignoring Manu's halfcourt shot in game 1 vs Phoenix, or the crazy backward layup in game 2.

Also, the 2003 DVD seemed less like a celebration of an amazing year than a shot at the franchise. It was always coming in with lines like "they showed a toughness they hadn't before shown" and crap like that. It focused so much on the games they blew (games 1 & 5 vs Dallas for example), and just blew through their awesome games 1 & 2 performances vs. LA while spending forever showing Kobe going nuts in the 4th quarter of game 5.

The 2005 DVD was excellent IMO (from the 45 minutes or so that I've seen). I loved how they spent five minutes showing how much Pop means to the team. I thought the narration was way better. The production looked so much more professional. The NBA really tried (and succeeded) in making something to celebrate an amazing year. The 2003 DVD just looks like something the league made because they had to.
The clinching 4th qtrs alone make the '03 version way better than '05. How sweet is it to watch kobe and fisher cry and see the incredible comeback against NJ.

Jelly
07-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Is the Howie Day 'montage' featured in the 2005 DVD?

TMSKILZ
07-30-2005, 05:00 PM
2005 Bonus features lacked what the 2003 DVD had. Only the game 7 4th Qtr clincher on the 2005 DVD.

No mention of the horry 3 in game 5 only in the regular feature, but not in any of the bonus material.

They could have done much better.

clubalien
07-30-2005, 05:02 PM
not sure abou tthe DVDs since i never seen any of them
but the BEST chamopionship was the 99 one ;)

ALVAREZ6
07-30-2005, 05:39 PM
ALV.. the entire game 7 is on the dvd in your bonus stuff.
No, just the 4th quarter.

td4mvp3
07-30-2005, 06:17 PM
i give it a b- just on its own merits, but compared to 03 it's a c-, skirting a d.
what i really liked about this dvd was the effort to humanize a team so often derided as boring and vanilla. i've never seen so much goofing off and depictions of the players as buds any where, especially when it comes to duncan. he cracked me up from the start at the end of gervin's prologue just by giving nazr a friendly shove away from the huddle before the center could join at the start of the game. bruce bowen's "show your big man a little love" thing had me laughing out loud, and tim's goofy smile before the start of game 4 at the pistons was great. i got the sense that the nba was actually trying to move away from thinking of the spurs as these bland nobodies led by a masterful yet uninteresting star. the use of bowen was a good highlight too, giving me a side of him i hadn't thought about with his humor and candor. that's why the dvd has grown on me, though at first i was really disappointed. but the more i watch it and get to catch myself smiling at the spurs being good natured pals, it's really quite cool compared to other championship year.

that said, the thing was very close on the verge of tanking because of some of the filler (pop's tips on basketball was utterly useless. if i'm looking to play, i've got a coach; if i'm not, this is just wasting my time). and the editors just dropped a golden setup for real storytelling. you had a season in which the team comes out like gangbusters, then tim gets hurt, then the team gets mocked by phoenix, duncan gets hurt again along with nestorivich, and then just as things start to firmup, duncanc gets hurt. but when the team could have faltered, it rallied and manu really came into his own and helped carry the team to some significant victories (the overtime stuff), so heading into the postseason, things are shaky but they've learned to depend on each other. it would have illustrated exactly what duncan was saying at the end about how they had their ups and downs but still trusted each other.

worst of all, though, i hated the way things were so skewered in order to present a nice, tidy package. duncan was not the sole leader in game 7 and he definitely didn't just will the spurs to victory, manu was definitely just as big a factor. and there was no need to misrepresent so much of the plays and when they occurred just to try to prove a point. that really bothered me.

just the narrated part, 05 really comes ahead. but as for the dvd as a whole, i'd still go with 03, if only to see fisher cry and nash go running to guard the lane while kerr nails a three and makes some little kid almost cry.

ShoogarBear
07-30-2005, 07:15 PM
What asshole decided to put 0.4* on the DVD?

Dre_7
07-30-2005, 08:36 PM
The clinching 4th qtrs alone make the '03 version way better than '05. How sweet is it to watch kobe and fisher cry and see the incredible comeback against NJ.

Dont forget the 4th qtr of the "Steve Kerr game." Now that was fun to watch again!

TDfan2007
07-31-2005, 01:41 AM
the 2005 DVD pissed me off so much!

I really wanted to see the clinching quarters against Seattle and Pheonix!

They could have also showed all of the game winners of the season like Tim's shot against Clevland, Barry's runner against the Lakers, and Tony's crazy layup against the Clippers.

Oh well, at least they had Tim's dunk on big ben.

BTW, they really didn't have to put 0.4 in the movie.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2005, 06:29 AM

Baseline, I thought they showed Manu's strip of RJ...but I know they showed Jack, along with Steve Kerr, shooting the Spurs back into Game 6 of the Conference Finals because it happened in that game's "clinching 4th quarter", all of which was on the DVD.

But, yeah, I agree that the 2003 DVD looks like it was patched together at light speed. Kind of cheezy that "music", if you dare call it that, when the DVD starts up.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2005, 06:31 AM
If the 2005 version does not at least focus on Horry's Game 5 clincher (they ought to have it in live mode), then the DVD is practically garbage.

No clinching 4th quarters is absolute and complete bullshit, no two ways about it. Tim's winning shot against Seattle in an extremely tense game would've been sensational to see. How about that classic at Phoenix? And getting to see George Karl's distraught face in the first round clincher? I have three words for shitty NBA media geeks who put this together:

W T F!?

ALVAREZ6
07-31-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm going to disagree with you guys, I thought putting the 0.4 shot was a good move. It made this championship so much sweeter.

duncan_21
07-31-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm going to disagree with you guys, I thought putting the 0.4 shot was a good move. It made this championship so much sweeter.

I agree. I think had they included game 5 (4th quarter and OT) and all the clenching 4th quarters this dvd would've been better. I thought it was lame that 05 basically copied the td segment from 03.

03 w/clenching 4th quarters > 05

baseline bum
07-31-2005, 01:26 PM
I personally don't care about the clinching quarters at all. Any real fan would already have those on tape anyways. If you judge the main feature 2005 kills 2003.

Streakyshooter08
07-31-2005, 01:28 PM
I personally don't care about the clinching quarters at all. Any real fan would already have those on tape anyways.

Not if you live in Germany... :depressed

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 01:30 PM
I thought the 2005 DVD was awesome (for a lot of the same reasons the baselinebum liked it). It's usually better when people don't compare everything to something else. Learn how to just watch and enjoy something.

Slomo
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
I received the 2005 DVD last wednesday and I like it a lot.

But I do have a huge complaint. What is the NBA thinking? They are advertising it everywhere (including on the "international" pages of nba.com) and then go ahead and region encode it to region 1 :wtf

I could understand that they do not make a PAL version, but not removing the region coding is the wrong way to attract international audience.

2centsworth
07-31-2005, 03:09 PM
I personally don't care about the clinching quarters at all. Any real fan would already have those on tape anyways. If you judge the main feature 2005 kills 2003.
WOW, I guess I'm not a real fan because I don't tape squat. Maybe you're just a loser/jock sniffer.:lol

2centsworth
07-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Learn how to just watch and enjoy something.
not everyone can be as smart as you.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-31-2005, 03:24 PM
So can someone clear it up for me and explain what all the 2005 DVD contains on it?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-31-2005, 05:45 PM
ehhh could i please get some help please

timvp
07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Spurs fans are never happy. The Spurs have three titles but they'll go on a three or four game losing streak and the fan base will want everyone fired and/or traded. The Spurs advance to the finals and Spurs fans complain that they can't get tickets. The Spurs hold a championship celebration in the Alamodome and Spurs fans complain that they can't hear. The Spurs have a championship DVD to cover the franchise's third title and Spurs fans find a way to complain.

Grow a nut or two, please.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 05:48 PM
From Amazon.com

Hey NBA Champions fans, be the first to own the official keepsake of your team?s triumphant and soaring season. Get an inside look at their regular season, triumphant playoff run and NBA Finals victory with the official 2004-2005 NBA Champions DVD. This official DVD provides an all-access pass to exclusive interviews, behind-the-scenes action and an unforgettable courtside view of the NBA Finals.

Bonus Features:

Tony Parker: Ankle Breaker
Tim Duncan: Goes Home
Manu: Rising Star
Tony and Manu trophy ad
Bruce Bowen's Playoffs
Pointers: Gregg Poppovich
George Gervin: Iceman
2005 Playoff Recap
Pre and Post finals Analysis
Will Smith video

T Park
07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
exactly TIMVP.

BTW, wtf is with everyone getting a bobble head before me.

Fuckin spurs........

just kidding.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-31-2005, 05:57 PM
yeah kori i saw that, i meant what all is on it in terms of game footage

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 05:59 PM
It shows highlights of all the series and the entire 4th quarter of Game 7 of the Finals.

smeagol
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
not everyone can be as smart as you.
I don't think her comment had to do with being or not being smart.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I don't think her comment had to do with being or not being smart.

True, but it still sucks that not everyone can be as smart as me. :lmao

goliath
07-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Who woulda thought in 1998 that we would be complaining about which of our
THREE championship DVDs/videos were better?

rr2418
07-31-2005, 06:37 PM
In my opinion, I think the NBA should take a few notes from NFL Films, and learn how to put together highlights! If you've seen any NFL Films production, you know what I mean! The music in NFL Films is awsome and very dramatic, just right for what's happening on the screen. The narration is top notch. I haven't seen the 2005 dvd, but I have seen the 2003, and the dramatic 4th quarters and top plays of the season could've realy had a punch to it , if it was done by NFL Films.

smeagol
07-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Who woulda thought in 1998 that we would be complaiing about which of our
THREE championship DVDs/videos were better?
Now this has to do with Kori's initial comment. :spin

I agree with you, goliath, pretty amazing.

2centsworth
07-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Spurs fans are never happy. The Spurs have three titles but they'll go on a three or four game losing streak and the fan base will want everyone fired and/or traded. The Spurs advance to the finals and Spurs fans complain that they can't get tickets. The Spurs hold a championship celebration in the Alamodome and Spurs fans complain that they can't hear. The Spurs have a championship DVD to cover the franchise's third title and Spurs fans find a way to complain.

Grow a nut or two, please.
Your pompoms are in the mail.:lol

1Parker1
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Even though I was watching the CHAMPIONSHIP DVD, it still hurt to watch that .4 sec replay all over again :depressed

On the other hand, I didn't think this DVD was that bad. They obviously could have highlighted some stuff more...like the Pheonix OT win, the back to back OT wins, the fact that the team perservered without Duncan, etc. And they really could have done without the whole Pop teaching basketball tips with Beno and Wilks :rolleyes and the whole Gervin bio.

Overall though, it had nice stuff. I really enjoyed the Tony Parker ankle Breaker..where thye had various guys like Bruce, Pop, Tim, Nash, and Baron Davis talk about how quick Parker is and how hard he is to defend. I enjoyed watching that Duncan NBA Inside Stuff special, which I missed when it first aired.

Overall, it was a nice DVD. OF course, I haven't seen the 03 one yet....and I am sure the 06 one will be even better :spin

GoSpurs21
08-01-2005, 10:58 AM
The clinching 4th qtrs alone make the '03 version way better than '05. How sweet is it to watch kobe and fisher cry and see the incredible comeback against NJ.only if you dont already have the games recorded. to me the main feature in 05 is way better than 03

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Any DVD that says "Spurs NBA Champions" is ok with me! :)

1Parker1
08-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Haven't seen the 2003 DVD, but I have the 2005. I personally think they could have included more stuff on the DVD like maybe the whoe entire game 7 instead of the 4th quarter...

Hey Alvarez, did you end up finding the 2003 DVD at Best Buy also?

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Did anyone else get the dual pack from HEB? The 2003 and 2005 DVD's for 19.99.

1Parker1
08-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Did anyone else get the dual pack from HEB? The 2003 and 2005 DVD's for 19.99.

Quit rubbing it in my face. I had to order the 05 one for that much online :depressed

spurster
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
2003 > 2005. The 2005 DVD is good, but most of the extras are soft and fluffy.

This is not a complaint, just a comparison.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I just finally started watching my DVD.

That Barry to Devin alley-oop was one of my top five plays all season long.

Hell fucking yeah!