PDA

View Full Version : Did Green earned the starting job back?

Libri
12-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Or was it just a teaser?

Green was 4-6 from 3-pt range for 14 points.

Beli was 0-5 from 3-pt range for 4 points.

Hoops Czar
12-23-2013, 11:02 PM
It was the Raptors....nuff said!

Chinook
12-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I believe they're better in their old roles. But this isn't a large enough sample to prove that. It would be nice to see more data.

T Park
12-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Should have never lost it. There was no need to tweak the rotations...

LakerHater
12-23-2013, 11:04 PM
YES!

I prefer Marco coming off the bench!

TheGoldStandard
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Nope

justinandimcool
12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Starting next to Tiago, Kawhi, and Tony on offense just doesn't open up for great shots.

TheGoldStandard
12-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Starting next to Tiago, Kawhi, and Tony on offense just doesn't open up for great shots.

Helps when penetration is working, parker and an aggressive KL opened up that 3 point line

$pursDynasty
12-23-2013, 11:12 PM
You guys aren't fooling me, you don't care about Danny; you just want to be able to wear your Super Sub Brothers shirts again!

apalisoc_9
12-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I really prefer Marco coming of the bench. Green Needs parker to make wide open threes

Robz4000
12-23-2013, 11:16 PM

HarlemHeat37
12-23-2013, 11:17 PM
The switch is inevitable, Pop is just using this as a motivational tool, tbh..

Green is known for his streak shooting, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a 3-point surge for a few weeks, it's the trend of his career with the Spurs, so far..

Beli-Manu have great chemistry and are better suited to play against bench players, from a defensive standpoint, so breaking them up doesn't make sense to me..

ThaBigFundamental21
12-23-2013, 11:35 PM
The Spurs need Green to heat up so they can trade his ass.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Manu can create better opportunities for Green. With Parker and Bellinelli in the starting line-up, it gives the starters two creators (not including Splitter's good vision), and the bench two creators in Manu and King BD. It'll be good in the long run I believe.

Expert
12-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't think it was about gaining or losing that spot. I think it was more about rotation changes to experiment. Later in the season or even in the postseason it's possible they may be required to go to that so they need to know how that's going to work.

crc21209
12-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Yeah I think it was just Pop being Pop, just tinkering and motivating Green at the same time.

LakerHater
12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Pop: "I didn't bench (Green) because he wasn't making shots."

Belinelli-for-Green lineup swap presented as chemistry experiment. Pop: "It could change again."

Green unfazed by "demotion:" "They're trying out something new ... This is the time of year to do it."

Chinook
12-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Nice find. Confirmed what many here suggested.

PlayNando
12-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Or was it just a teaser?

Green was 4-6 from 3-pt range for 14 points.

Danny going off against scrub teams, per par, tbh. :lol

houston spurs fan
12-24-2013, 01:09 AM
Lol coming from a guy named " playnando"

PlayNando
12-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Lol coming from a guy named " playnando"
And?

cd021
12-24-2013, 01:26 AM
I don't think it was about gaining or losing that spot. I think it was more about rotation changes to experiment. Later in the season or even in the postseason it's possible they may be required to go to that so they need to know how that's going to work.

I agree. Better to try it now then try it later in the season with more at stake.

LakerHater
12-24-2013, 01:37 AM

Marco came off the bench against OKC & started off 5-5 from 3!

DMC
12-24-2013, 01:38 AM
The Spurs need Green to heat up so they can trade his ass.

I never understood how fans can think this way. It's like execs on other franchises don't know what we know. They don't realize that the dude just got hot so they bought him at a high price. Not going to happen. Spurs know it too. That's why Blair was shuffled out when he was basically a garden gnome.

DMC
12-24-2013, 01:40 AM

Toronto isn't a scrub team. They aren't a good team, but they are a dangerous one and they are playing good basketball right now. I'd not call them a scrub team.

DMC
12-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Yeah I think it was just Pop being Pop, just tinkering and motivating Green at the same time.

I don't think Pop is trying to motivate Green. If you have to motivate a guy to want to play in the NBA at that level, for that money, he needs to be working somewhere else and Pop wouldn't spend a second on him.

PlayNando
12-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Toronto isn't a scrub team. They aren't a good team, but they are a dangerous one and they are playing good basketball right now. I'd not call them a scrub team.
Don't deflect me from my agenda, tbh.

DapDaGenius
12-24-2013, 02:35 AM
I don't give a damn who starts and who comes off the bench. Danny just needs to be more consistent with his shooting(2pt FGs and 3pts).

r0drig0lac
12-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Don't deflect me from my agenda, tbh.:lol

benefactor
12-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Pop: "I didn't bench (Green) because he wasn't making shots."

Belinelli-for-Green lineup swap presented as chemistry experiment. Pop: "It could change again."

Green unfazed by "demotion:" "They're trying out something new ... This is the time of year to do it."
:tu

Pop tinkering per par.

Captivus
12-24-2013, 07:01 AM

exstatic
12-24-2013, 08:13 AM
YES!

I prefer Marco coming off the bench!
If you go look at his NBA dot com stats page, Marco plays MUCH better off the bench for SA.

TJastal
12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I'd much rather Green be somewhat lukewarm/cold most of the year and then heat up come playoff time rather than use up all his good stuff in meaningless games just to keep the never satisfied sniveling bitches of spurstalk placated. He showed what he is capable of doing in the 4th quarter of last night's game, and he needs to keep it on ration for later.

TJastal
12-24-2013, 08:32 AM
About the switch of Bellinelli/Green.. I think it might work out pretty good to add another creator to the 1st unit since Leonard hasn't really tried to step up his game in that capacity and is content to just sleep in the corner and wait for a kick out 3. Green should get more shot opportunities in the 2nd unit and this will also force Mills to step up his playmaking some as well. Could be a win/win all around.

ElNono
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Pop experimenting, tbh. Usual stuff at this time of the season.

Johnny RIngo
12-24-2013, 10:47 AM
About the switch of Bellinelli/Green.. I think it might work out pretty good to add another creator to the 1st unit since Leonard hasn't really tried to step up his game in that capacity and is content to just sleep in the corner and wait for a kick out 3. Green should get more shot opportunities in the 2nd unit and this will also force Mills to step up his playmaking some as well. Could be a win/win all around.

If Parker was more consistent(aka played at his 2012 or 2013 level) we wouldn't need Leonard to step up as a creator or add another playmaker to the starting lineup. Parker's assist percentage is 33.6% this year. Considerable drop from the 40% he was at the two previous seasons.

playbonner15
12-24-2013, 10:52 AM
So 1st unit is for defense? Then 2nd unit is for offense? I think Pop is trying to experiment with distributing the firepower...

boutons_deux
12-24-2013, 10:56 AM
one robin doesn't make a Spring

Bruno
12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Spurs starting unit offense has been very bad this year while it was very good last year. Pop might have decided to just let them figure it out and hope they would be back at last year level but that's a gamble. Last year lineup offense was based on Parker and Duncan being dominant players who put the other team defense off balance. This year they aren't as dominant and don't create such havoc. Parker and Duncan might never be back at last year amazing level.

I like Belinelli starting. He can do way more offensively than Green. He brings a second ball handler and pick and roll player to the starting lineup which would be great. Defensively, it should relatively work because there isn't a lot of great SG in the league to cover.

I also like Green from the bench. Even without Belinelli, Spurs bench has enough offense with Ginobili, Mills and Diaw. Green will help the second unit defense; he can cover the best opposite wing and Manu can be on the weakest one.

In theory, I really like that move. We will see what it will give on the court.

monkeypunk
12-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Spurs starting unit offense has been very bad this year while it was very good last year. Pop might have decided to just let them figure it out and hope they would be back at last year level but that's a gamble. Last year lineup offense was based on Parker and Duncan being dominant players who put the other team defense off balance. This year they aren't as dominant and don't create such havoc. Parker and Duncan might never be back at last year amazing level.

I like Belinelli starting. He can do way more offensively than Green. He brings a second ball handler and pick and roll player to the starting lineup which would be great. Defensively, it should relatively work because there isn't a lot of great SG in the league to cover.

I also like Green from the bench. Even without Belinelli, Spurs bench has enough offense with Ginobili, Mills and Diaw. Green will help the second unit defense; he can cover the best opposite wing and Manu can be on the weakest one.

I'm with Bruno on this. Teams are running DG off the line and he doesn't have enough game to compensate where Beli does. DG on the second unit means more D and open looks from Manu and Boris. While Beli didn't shoot well yesterday, he played some pretty darn good defense in spots.

On paper, the move should even out both units as long as DG doesn't get SJax butthurt over his minutes.

Chinook
12-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Disagree Bruno. I think the second unit suffers without Beli's playmaking. Mills' usefulness would decrease as well. We already saw this all last year, and it led to Pop bringing in another bench ball-handler. Also, Beli has been living up to his old defensive reputation while starting. It's been obvious how much better of a defender Green is. He and Kawhi starting together is a major key to the unit's success.

The offense has been struggling for a few reasons. 1 Green has had two slumps already this season. This is causing him to hesitate when he has the ball making him even easier to run off the line. 2 Leonard is or at least wasn't where he needed to be on offense. The fact that he couldn't shoot from range was killing spacing, and he was too tentative getting his own shots from elsewhere. 3 Duncan isn't spacing the floor as well this season. That makes him a Splitter a tough pair to play together. 4 Splitter hasn't been as good in the PnR. Probably because of spacing. 5 Parker is simply not running the offense as well as he did last year.

monkeypunk
12-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Disagree Bruno. I think the second unit suffers without Beli's playmaking. Mills' usefulness would decrease as well. We already saw this all last year, and it led to Pop bringing in another bench ball-handler. Also, Beli has been living up to his old defensive reputation while starting. It's been obvious how much better of a defender Green is. He and Kawhi starting together is a major key to the unit's success.

The offense has been struggling for a few reasons. 1 Green has had two slumps already this season. This is causing him to hesitate when he has the ball making him even easier to run off the line. 2 Leonard is or at least wasn't where he needed to be on offense. The fact that he couldn't shoot from range was killing spacing, and he was too tentative getting his own shots from elsewhere. 3 Duncan isn't spacing the floor as well this season. That makes him a Splitter a tough pair to play together. 4 Splitter hasn't been as good in the PnR. Probably because of spacing. 5 Parker is simply not running the offense as well as he did last year.

Perfect reason to have a secondary playmaker on the starting unit..

The second unit still has Boris and Manu to create whereas Tony is all alone with the starters.

Chinook
12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Perfect reason to have a secondary playmaker on the starting unit..

The second unit still has Boris and Manu to create whereas Tony is all alone with the starters.

Diaw isn't really a playmaker in the sense of him being the main guy who runs a play with the ball in his hands. He's a smart passer who can get the ball in the flow of the offense and make a good decision with it. Not too different than Duncan and Splitter. He wasn't enough of a playmaker to balance out the second unit last season.

The starters don't need a playmaker next to Parker at all
He and Duncan dominate the ball as it is. Put Beli in to handle the ball, and Leonard never sees it. Also, Parker is an on-ball player. He had some success off the ball when Ford was here, but that's not who he is.

The shakeup may end up being benching Splitter and starting Diaw (second playmaker in your book) or even Ayres if he gets his shot back. I don't think that'll be necessary, though. If Leonard gets his outside shot back, the offense as a whole will improve a lot.

DAF86
12-24-2013, 01:49 PM
So "Dat Dude" goes to play with Tony in the first unit and he goes 2 for 7, 0 for 5 from 3's while Green gets to play with Manu on the second unit and he ends up with 14 pts on 5 for 8 shooting, 4 for 6 on 3's? :stirpot:

TJastal
12-24-2013, 01:54 PM

The Manu/Mills combo worked well together even last year as I recall. Pop was just too stubborn to stick with it (or any kind of lineup) last year and it cost the spurs a championship IMO.

TJastal
12-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Diaw isn't really a playmaker in the sense of him being the main guy who runs a play with the ball in his hands. He's a smart passer who can get the ball in the flow of the offense and make a good decision with it. Not too different than Duncan and Splitter. He wasn't enough of a playmaker to balance out the second unit last season.

The starters don't need a playmaker next to Parker at all
He and Duncan dominate the ball as it is. Put Beli in to handle the ball, and Leonard never sees it. Also, Parker is an on-ball player. He had some success off the ball when Ford was here, but that's not who he is.

The shakeup may end up being benching Splitter and starting Diaw (second playmaker in your book) or even Ayres if he gets his shot back. I don't think that'll be necessary, though. If Leonard gets his outside shot back, the offense as a whole will improve a lot.

If, if. If Khawi starts to light it up from 3 the offense will click. Well newsflash... that may not happen, and you just deal with reality not ifs.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
So "Dat Dude" goes to play with Tony in the first unit and he goes 2 for 7, 0 for 5 from 3's while Green gets to play with Manu on the second unit and he ends up with 14 pts on 5 for 8 shooting, 4 for 6 on 3's? :stirpot:Danny made all those threes in the fourth when he was playing with Tony for all the makes IIRC. Instead of just parking him on the arc where athletes can run at him, he got some space from screens set for him in the paint.

Chinook
12-24-2013, 03:01 PM
If, if. If Khawi starts to light it up from 3 the offense will click. Well newsflash... that may not happen, and you just deal with reality not ifs.

He's been shooting really well recently. So it's not like I'm proposing that some miracle needs to happen. Kawhi just needs to stay the course.

Chinook
12-24-2013, 03:05 PM
The Manu/Mills combo worked well together even last year as I recall. Pop was just too stubborn to stick with it (or any kind of lineup) last year and it cost the spurs a championship IMO.

It worked well for Mills, but not for the second unit as a whole. The bench needed playmaking and defense. They got the former with Beli, but they still need the latter. Mills playing better defense this year does help, though.

Chinook
12-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Danny made all those threes in the fourth when he was playing with Tony for all the makes IIRC. Instead of just parking him on the arc where athletes can run at him, he got some space from screens set for him in the paint.

Which is why I've been beating the drum for Green to get a bigger role on offense. Pop's been trying to do so recently, but this is the first time he has hit the shots.

DesignatedT
12-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Pop could just be trying to get Danny to get out of his slump and keep the team fresh by changing it up a little. I think him starting and Marco coming off the bench is clearly the best option though for the long run.

DAF86
12-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Danny made all those threes in the fourth when he was playing with Tony for all the makes IIRC. Instead of just parking him on the arc where athletes can run at him, he got some space from screens set for him in the paint.

I didn't watch the game but I think it's pretty obvious that Green improved his play thanks to the increased minutes alongside Ginobili. Even when sitting both on the bench, Danny rubbed off that Manu magic, tbch.

LakerHater
12-24-2013, 04:55 PM
If you go look at his NBA dot com stats page, Marco plays MUCH better off the bench for SA.

Yup, him & Manu are good comin off the bench!

ChumpDumper
12-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I didn't watch the game but I think it's pretty obvious that Green improved his play thanks to the increased minutes alongside Ginobili. Even when sitting both on the bench, Danny rubbed off that Manu magic, tbch.I expect nothing less from manufan.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I never understood how fans can think this way. It's like execs on other franchises don't know what we know. They don't realize that the dude just got hot so they bought him at a high price. Not going to happen. Spurs know it too. That's why Blair was shuffled out when he was basically a garden gnome.

It's wishful thinking/joking tone. Relax, go see your local physician, you can get something from him/her.

Bruno
12-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I think the second unit suffers without Beli's playmaking. Mills' usefulness would decrease as well. We already saw this all last year, and it led to Pop bringing in another bench ball-handler. Also, Beli has been living up to his old defensive reputation while starting. It's been obvious how much better of a defender Green is. He and Kawhi starting together is a major key to the unit's success.

Well, there are some drawbacks at starting Belinelli. It isn't a situation where there is an obvious answer. I think the net result will be positive but it might not work for some for the reasons you gave. Time will tell.

I agree with you that these are some of the reason why Spurs starting unit is struggling offensively. Once you said it, there are two options for Pop:
First, you stick with that lineup, hope some players will get better and maybe change some of the plays they run to fit more their strengths/weaknesses.
Second, you change the starting lineup.

ElNono
12-24-2013, 05:59 PM
So "Dat Dude" goes to play with Tony in the first unit and he goes 2 for 7, 0 for 5 from 3's while Green gets to play with Manu on the second unit and he ends up with 14 pts on 5 for 8 shooting, 4 for 6 on 3's? :stirpot:

:lol

DAF86
12-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I expect nothing less from manufan.

I expected much more from you, tbh.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I expected much more from you, tbh.http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/designedit/cache/inductees/586/main_DougHenning-colour.jpg
Magic!

heyheymymy
12-25-2013, 07:32 AM

this summer when I upgraded my nba2k13 with a 2014 roster, this is exactly how I set up the Spurs rotation. Marco in the starting 5, and Mills/Green/Manu off the bench with some combo of Ayres, Baynes, Diaw, and Bonner.

wildchild
12-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Defensively, it should relatively work because there isn't a lot of great SG in the league to cover.

Belli's guarding Harden...scares me.

Bruno
12-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Rockets will be a great test to judge that starting lineup. Pop might also try Belinelli on Parsons.

PlayNando
12-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Danny statistically plays best when paired up with Manu, tbh, so maybe it is best he comes off the bench.

Then again, everyone plays best when paired up with Manu, it seems, so I don't know.

PlayNando
12-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Harden guarding King Belli ... scares them. :)

Harden = useless defender.

Brunodf
12-26-2013, 11:13 PM
If he didn't, he is close

PlayNando
12-26-2013, 11:13 PM
i think he should stay on the bench because paired with manu he is playing well and he gives the second unit a better defender tbh!

Raven
12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Harden guarding King Belli ... scares them. :)

Harden = useless defender.

lost this one :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

PlayNando
12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
lost this one :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao
cant win them all tbh...

taps
12-27-2013, 01:05 AM
I didn't watch the game.

hater
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Green is a one trick pony. Obviously now our bench is weak with him in there instead of Belli.

It's a tough situation. We either start games in mud with green, or we downgrade our bench to mere pedestrian level with green.

like I said many times Green is a 1 trick pony that should have been traded after game 7 of the Finals.

oh well. now obviously Belli is not very confortable starting and might need some getting used to otherwise he'll go back to the bench. in other words, Belli is not the problem, it's green.

hopefully green at least will learn to dribble the ball in an empty gym at some point in the season

01-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Green is a one trick pony. Obviously now our bench is weak with him in there instead of Belli.

It's a tough situation. We either start games in mud with green, or we downgrade our bench to mere pedestrian level with green.

like I said many times Green is a 1 trick pony that should have been traded after game 7 of the Finals.

oh well. now obviously Belli is not very confortable starting and might need some getting used to otherwise he'll go back to the bench. in other words, Belli is not the problem, it's green.

hopefully green at least will learn to dribble the ball in an empty gym at some point in the seasonDon't count on it