PDA

View Full Version : Seriously.. WTF was up with Ginobili last year?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
The dude was shooting 78% from the free throw line last year and having career worse numbers in shooting.. this year he is literally lighting teams up.. tonight he shot 9-9 from the free throw line and hes like 94% on the year..

was his struggles really injury-related or have something to do with his hamstrings? what do you think? was it a combination of him not playing in europe this year?

TheGoldStandard
12-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Health is part of it but it looks like he probably did some off season work after that poor showing at the end of the season.

HarlemHeat37
12-23-2013, 11:23 PM
The Heat-Spurs Finals was the first time the Spurs received widespread mainstream attention, and it coincided with Ginobili having arguably the worst stretch of his career..instead of remembering a great career that was full of memorable successes, NBA fans/media now view Ginobili as the guy that was a double-agent for the Heat during that series, tbh..

He's obviously motivated this season, tbh..

oldspursfan
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Kids (twins!)... you can also understand duncan's resurgence... so I like spurs' chance at 5 this year!

MmP
12-23-2013, 11:35 PM
I've said it in the past and I'll say it again: rest
In the 2012 olympics he was putting great numbers. Next to that was last year's regular season, which was subpar. There was no way he could decline that bad in one summer. I think it has to be related.

Spursfanfromafar
12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Manu is very much a rhythm player. He had a phase last year when he got injured for long stretches and that upset his rhythm.

All said, Manu, while doing well this season, is still playing well within himself. The Spurs should only look for what they will get in the flow from Manu and should build apart from him and not around him. He is 36 and to expect anything much from a 36 year old SG in an athletic league is not going to help matters. Manu will have to be treated as bonus rather than the main core. I hope the Spurs involve Kawhi more over the course of the season in the offense.

What I like is that Green showed some signs of being verdant finally again. That augurs well.

Johnny RIngo
12-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Injury-prone, 35-year olds shouldn't be playing off-season basketball. He should have rested all summer and came into the season fresh. He didn't and was plagued all year with injuries. When he wasn't injured, he looked terrible and fatigued. Irresponsible and shameful of Manu to do that especially since he was the highest paid player on the team. He had an obligation to the San Antonio fans and pissed all over them in favor of Argentina.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
I love Manu, last year I just kept waiting and waiting for the old Manu. It never happened, a game here or there. But no consistency. Yet I absolutely love the guy. I'm glad he is playing well.

dbreiden83080
12-24-2013, 12:05 AM
When he's healthy he can still play at a high-level but it's early yet so we will see..

rasuo214
12-24-2013, 12:07 AM
He didn't play international ball during the off-season. I'd imagine that probably helped quite a bit.

Sean Cagney
12-24-2013, 12:32 AM
He was hurt more than we heard or he lead on last year, beginning to think that part is a fact now.

playbonner15
12-24-2013, 01:15 AM
He made a bet in Vegas for the Heat to win tbh:wakeup

houston spurs fan
12-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Lol, plAyblair became playnando became playbonner.

PlayNando
12-24-2013, 01:27 AM
Yeah, but his free throw struggles started way before that. Post-All Star Break, he was pretty bad at the FT line.

Then again, Tony Parker seems to have caught the FT bricking disease as he has been pretty terrible there this year so far.

DMC
12-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Manu gets accustomed to shooting gaps with passes in the regular season that he often doesn't adjust for the increased pressure and attention in the post season. That's why he turns the ball over so much. He makes the same passes in the regular season but the Demarcuses and the Sacres don't give a shit, they just watch it sail through. Take that into a game where every possession is like fighting for your life, and Manu doesn't value the ball so he just flings it and tries to force the action. It's not new. He came into the league doing that except he'd hit guys in the audience instead of giving it to the other team.

Manu thinks he can make any pass he can imagine, so he tries it. That's like a shooter taking long range shots because he's made them before. The next one is going to go, at least in his mind. Look at that guy from Toronto tonight who kept pulling up from 25' and missing. Manu is to passing what Curry is to shooting. They can both make unbelievable plays, but it's going to cost you when they don't discriminate between in-game situations.

hooperflash
12-24-2013, 01:40 AM
You see , with a couple quad injuries......

spurs10
12-24-2013, 01:41 AM
Not only was he struggling with injuries, he was unable to handle being our back-up point guard. Some people need to watch game 5 again, instead of using game 6 as his only example. When he was playing off the ball he was much better. He is looking great now. I think he wants redemption as much as anyone. :ihit

TE
12-24-2013, 01:42 AM
You see , with a couple quad injuries......
bro hit me up next time you decide to go to the rec imo

hooperflash
12-24-2013, 01:46 AM
bro hit me up next time you decide to go to the rec imo

Sweet, you'll be in a vid.... PM

TE
12-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Sweet, you'll be in a vid.... PM
haha, where u from bro? I think I've seen a cathedral like the one in the vid near Bicentennial in McAllen.

james evans
12-24-2013, 04:17 AM
i'm gonna say it til the day i die, somethign in that finals was bullshit cuz i don't care how bad a player falls off, he should be able to make a pass to a player 10 feet away from him with ease. i will always say he threw that finals just as heat fans and others say lebron threw the 2011 finals(lebron can't score on jason terry and deshawn stevenson? GTFOH!!!) and bubba smith until the day he died believed his own coach and qb threw the 1969 superbowl. it's one thing if you're having a bad shooting night, but to just throw the ball away in key points of the game is bullshit. then u come back next season as fresh as ever. bullshit. but i know noone agrees and it's fine. it's my opinion and it's just that. my opinnion. and he's playing well this year again.

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 08:17 AM
The dude was shooting 78% from the free throw line last year and having career worse numbers in shooting.. this year he is literally lighting teams up.. tonight he shot 9-9 from the free throw line and hes like 94% on the year..

was his struggles really injury-related or have something to do with his hamstrings? what do you think? was it a combination of him not playing in europe this year?

Hater.

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
i'm gonna say it til the day i die, somethign in that finals was bullshit cuz i don't care how bad a player falls off, he should be able to make a pass to a player 10 feet away from him with ease. i will always say he threw that finals just as heat fans and others say lebron threw the 2011 finals(lebron can't score on jason terry and deshawn stevenson? GTFOH!!!) and bubba smith until the day he died believed his own coach and qb threw the 1969 superbowl. it's one thing if you're having a bad shooting night, but to just throw the ball away in key points of the game is bullshit. then u come back next season as fresh as ever. bullshit. but i know noone agrees and it's fine. it's my opinion and it's just that. my opinnion. and he's playing well this year again.

His kids were being threatened by the mafia. Only explanation for someone who had a rep for being a "clutch" and "smart" player melting down so spectacularly.

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Injury-prone, 35-year olds shouldn't be playing off-season basketball. He should have rested all summer and came into the season fresh. He didn't and was plagued all year with injuries. When he wasn't injured, he looked terrible and fatigued. Irresponsible and shameful of Manu to do that especially since he was the highest paid player on the team. He had an obligation to the San Antonio fans and pissed all over them in favor of Argentina.

This is an MRV Truth Nuke right here!

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Manu gets accustomed to shooting gaps with passes in the regular season that he often doesn't adjust for the increased pressure and attention in the post season. That's why he turns the ball over so much. He makes the same passes in the regular season but the Demarcuses and the Sacres don't give a shit, they just watch it sail through. Take that into a game where every possession is like fighting for your life, and Manu doesn't value the ball so he just flings it and tries to force the action. It's not new. He came into the league doing that except he'd hit guys in the audience instead of giving it to the other team.

Manu thinks he can make any pass he can imagine, so he tries it.

It is too early for so many truth bombs. My eyes are still trying to focus! Where's the caffeine?

AntiChrist
12-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Some dumb shit in this thread

Capt Bringdown
12-24-2013, 12:59 PM
He'll be back to playoff form, i.e. costing us championships with his brain-dead turnovers and piss-poor shot selection.
Book it.

mingus
12-24-2013, 01:01 PM
DMCs post is spot on.

Manu walks a thin line of making an incredible play or a retarded play. Teams that are disciplined defensively play the former well (eg Miami) but Manu still tries to make them instead of using restraint.

That said though Manu's shooting looks better this year. He couldn't hit shit last year and it probably made him make/force plays with his passing even when they weren't there.

Hopefully his more balanced arsenal this year results in less stupid passes.

DAF86
12-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Manu thinks he can make any pass he can imagine, so he tries it. That's like a shooter taking long range shots because he's made them before. The next one is going to go, at least in his mind. Look at that guy from Toronto tonight who kept pulling up from 25' and missing. Manu is to passing what Curry is to shooting. They can both make unbelievable plays, but it's going to cost you when they don't discriminate between in-game situations.

If that was the case then way Manu didn't cost the Spurs with his TO's 'till last season's finals?

DMC
12-24-2013, 02:17 PM
If that was the case then way Manu didn't cost the Spurs with his TO's 'till last season's finals?

I've explained it already.

DAF86
12-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I've explained it already.

Where?

DMC
12-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Where?

He makes the same passes in the regular season but the Demarcuses and the Sacres don't give a shit, they just watch it sail through. Take that into a game where every possession is like fighting for your life, and Manu doesn't value the ball so he just flings it and tries to force the action.

DMC
12-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Manu's turnovers per 36 minutes of play, over the past 4 years is 3.5. Tony's is 2.8 for the same time period. This is for the playoffs only.

On the other hand, Tony's assists per 36 minutes in the playoffs over the past 4 years is 6.1 while Manu's is at 5.6.

Manu's turnovers per 36 minutes increased significantly after the 2009-2010 season. I haven't been able to draw a correlation with an event, however it could be related to his international play or an injury he sustained.

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 05:32 PM
He'll be back to playoff form, i.e. costing us championships with his brain-dead turnovers and piss-poor shot selection.
Book it. :lol

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Manu's turnovers per 36 minutes of play, over the past 4 years is 3.5. Tony's is 2.8 for the same time period. This is for the playoffs only.

On the other hand, Tony's assists per 36 minutes in the playoffs over the past 4 years is 6.1 while Manu's is at 5.6.

Manu's turnovers per 36 minutes increased significantly after the 2009-2010 season. I haven't been able to draw a correlation with an event, however it could be related to his international play or an injury he sustained.

When did he break his hand?

DAF86
12-24-2013, 06:45 PM
He makes the same passes in the regular season but the Demarcuses and the Sacres don't give a shit, they just watch it sail through. Take that into a game where every possession is like fighting for your life, and Manu doesn't value the ball so he just flings it and tries to force the action.

That doesn't answer my question of "Why Manu's TO's hadn't hurt the Spurs in the PO before to last season's finals?"

DAF86
12-24-2013, 06:47 PM

These posts are contradictory.

jag
12-24-2013, 07:45 PM
He stopped being an emo drama queen about his role on the team and started being aggressive again. That crap he pulled during the finals pretty much said it all: talking to the media about his role and how Pop said he didn't need to score anymore, which he used to explain why he was being extremely passive. The Spurs obviously need him to score. He proved his point by playing worse than he's ever played in his entire career... and the Spurs lost their 5th championship. Nice work, bitch.

DMC
12-24-2013, 08:47 PM
That doesn't answer my question of "Why Manu's TO's hadn't hurt the Spurs in the PO before to last season's finals?"

You could say his turnovers didn't hurt the Spurs in the large majority of the playoffs this year as well since they swept two rounds and made the Finals. However turnovers always hurt the team, unless you think somehow Manu has beneficial turnovers.

DMC
12-24-2013, 08:49 PM
These posts are contradictory.

No they aren't. Having an increase in turnovers doesn't make having turnovers a new thing.

DMC
12-24-2013, 08:49 PM
When did he break his hand?

Ever heard of Google?

apalisoc_9
12-24-2013, 09:40 PM
He stopped being an emo drama queen about his role on the team and started being aggressive again. That crap he pulled during the finals pretty much said it all: talking to the media about his role and how Pop said he didn't need to score anymore, which he used to explain why he was being extremely passive. The Spurs obviously need him to score. He proved his point by playing worse than he's ever played in his entire career... and the Spurs lost their 5th championship. Nice work, bitch.

When will this guy stop sucking Parkers cock...Manu has had that role since 2012.

PlayNando
12-24-2013, 11:25 PM
You could say his turnovers didn't hurt the Spurs in the large majority of the playoffs this year as well since they swept two rounds and made the Finals. However turnovers always hurt the team, unless you think somehow Manu has beneficial turnovers.
Not all turnovers are created equal, though, tbh. Some get handled cleanly by the other team and lead to fastbreak scores. Other turnovers are sloppy and the opponent can't really turn them into a fastbreak opportunity. Others fly out of bounds and really aren't any worse than a missed shot (except that you don't even have a chance to score if you turn the basketball over).

Diego20
12-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Not all turnovers are created equal, though, tbh. Some get handled cleanly by the other team and lead to fastbreak scores. Other turnovers are sloppy and the opponent can't really turn them into a fastbreak opportunity. Others fly out of bounds and really aren't any worse than a missed shot (except that you don't even have a chance to score if you turn the basketball over).

Some people don't understand that. If you shoot 6-23 is like you had a couple of turnovers (see TP game 6).

emanueldavidginobili
12-25-2013, 12:21 PM
In December 14ppg 5 assist 4 rebounds on 52% from the field

Skull-1
12-25-2013, 02:56 PM

He answered it ten times, moron.

Skull-1
12-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Some people don't understand that. If you shoot 6-23 is like you had a couple of turnovers (see TP game 6).

HEY IDIOTS.... IF YOU ARE CLINGING TO A LEAD AGAINST A YOUNGER TEAM ON A RUN THEN TIME IS YOUR ENEMY. MANU BRICKING A THREE WITH 20 ON THE SHOT CLOCK IS NOT THE SAME THING AS A SHOT CLOCK VIOLATION. EIGHT TURNOVERS, MOST OF THEM EARLY IN THE SHOT CLOCK, IS WORSE THAN A MISS LATE IN THE SHOT CLOCK.

STUPID PEOPLE WAKE UP!

Skull-1
12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Ever heard of Google?

Ever heard of "Rhetorical Question", ahole? Google that. Moron.

PlayNando
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Sounds like Skull-1 is full of Christmas Spirit. :lol

Skull-1
12-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Sounds like Playnandouche is full of (Christmas) Shit :lol

DAF86
12-25-2013, 03:18 PM
He answered it ten times, moron.

Please, show me the ten times he answered it.

PlayNando
12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Playnandouche is full of Christmas Cheer, tbh!

DMC
12-25-2013, 04:25 PM

Not even close. Getting a shot attempt allows for another attempt at an offensive rebound and allows your defense to set up. Turning the ball over is a surprise to your team and no one is set up, and you didn't get a shot attempt.

It's foolish to equate a missed shot attempt to a turnover.

AusEM
12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Funny how nobody mentions that, after game five, the Heat put LeBron on Manu to start with. As if that had nothing to do with the turnovers. Also, as much as some love to put the blame on Manu, the championship was lost in the last 25 seconds of game 6. If the Spurs had executed (or even fouled Bosh when he got the rebound) the turnovers would have been inconsequential. Maybe a few posters in this website would still bring them up, but those will always find something to hate Manu for.

Diego20
12-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Not even close. Getting a shot attempt allows for another attempt at an offensive rebound and allows your defense to set up. Turning the ball over is a surprise to your team and no one is set up, and you didn't get a shot attempt.

It's foolish to equate a missed shot attempt to a turnover.

Shooting 6-23 is as bad as 8 turnovers (in a NBA FINAL), period.