PDA

View Full Version : Do you love or hate Christmas?

Jacob1983
12-23-2013, 11:40 PM
What are your feelings about the holiday? Do you enjoy it or hate it? Do you think it's a joke and not really a holiday?

DJR210
12-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I hate the festivities, gift giving is meh, but love the chance to see the family.

Jacob1983
12-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Excellent point.

Reck
12-23-2013, 11:49 PM
I've never really gotten into the spirit of Christmas. Only thing I like about it its the sweet deals on electronics. :lol

Really any holidays are just an excuse to buy something.

benefactor
12-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Yes

baseline bum
12-23-2013, 11:55 PM
It's definitely the better of the two solstices.

Rogue
12-24-2013, 12:14 AM
we don't celebrate christmas here (some young people do but they're still minority and there ain't not christmas holiday here), but I have to agree that these holidays are just stupid when people spend a week or more doing nothing meaningful. I'd rather we had 3 rest days every week instead of 2-3 long vacations each year tbh (except when I'm writing novels though)

AchillesHeel
12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Christmas is meh. Like it because I see my whole family and what not, plus the parties are always great. Hate it because of the gift shopping & preparing for the day. Takes a huge chunk out of my holiday...

.G.
12-24-2013, 01:12 AM
It's a silly holiday, IMO. Mindless consumerist nonsense. I also see it as the global economy's "last call" of Q4 to get people to buy meaningless shit. If there's one positive to it, I'd say it'd have to be having another paid holiday, which I always welcome. That being said, I'm indifferent towards it.

Jacob1983
12-24-2013, 01:24 AM
I think the idea of Christmas has good intentions and a good message but that stuff has been perverted and distorted by consumerism, greed, and selfishness. I mean shouldn't people try to be nice to others every day and not just during a holiday? Why should a day change how people feel and think?

Rogue
12-24-2013, 01:32 AM
I think people working in the retailing industry don't have a full week off during christmas like most people do, right?

Jacob1983
12-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Nope. If you do, you must have asked for time off months in advance and you have to have a really good argument or reason to get the time off.

.G.
12-24-2013, 01:45 AM
I think the idea of Christmas has good intentions and a good message but that stuff has been perverted and distorted by consumerism, greed, and selfishness. I mean shouldn't people try to be nice to others every day and not just during a holiday? Why should a day change how people feel and think?
Same goes for valentine's day. Why in the fuck do we need to set aside a day to tell our significant other that we "love them"???? I tell (and DEMONstrate) my love for my girl every fucking day. If there's one thing valentines day taught me at an early age, it's that gifts=sex.

Clipper Nation
12-24-2013, 01:48 AM
How can people hate Christmas? Those Roman Pagans came up with a badass holiday, tbh....

BUMP
12-24-2013, 02:05 AM
What are your feelings about the holiday? Do you enjoy it or hate it? Do you think it's a joke and not really a holiday?

tbh i hate the holidays in general.

i like seeing family for a few hours and then I want to get back to business. I like to catch up and see how everyone's doing but after about an hour I just tune out the small talk bullshit and shut down completely. i'm a cold-hearted workaholic so i hate anything that gets me off my rhythm.

TE
12-24-2013, 02:06 AM
After 20+ years of the same tradition, I've gotten tired of Xmas festivities. Call me the grinch mothafukasss

BUMP
12-24-2013, 02:06 AM
I think people working in the retailing industry don't have a full week off during christmas like most people do, right?

hey do you remember how to derive Hooke's Law?

Rogue
12-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Hooke? You mean Robert Hooke, standing on whose shoulders the world's most famous celibate Isaac Newton established the law of Universal Gravitation?

lefty
12-24-2013, 03:09 AM
Christmas is fucking

Even gayer is this Apple ad :cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOdRAMRT_c

apalisoc_9
12-24-2013, 03:34 AM
kinda hate it tbh..I mean I'd love to chit chat with a few relatives for a few hours but the whole gift thing is flat out pointless. I've been telling my relatives I don't celebrate Christmas but they never get tired giving gifts..

baseline bum
12-24-2013, 08:11 AM
hey do you remember how to derive Hooke's Law?

Son, Hooke's Law is valid locally for any classical one-dimensional system in stable equilibrium at x = x0. Let V be the potential and expand in a Taylor series

V(x) = a0 + a1(x-x0) + 1/2*a2(x-x0)^2 + O((x-x0)^3)

about x = x0. Differentiating term by term, we get

V'(x) = a1 + a2(x-x0) + O((x-x0)^2)
V''(x) = a2 + O((x-x0))

Since we are in equilibrium at x = x0, we have V'(x0) = 0 so that a1 = 0. Since this equilibrium is stable, the second derivative test shows that V''(x0) > 0, so that a2 > 0. Rename a2 = k so that we have

V(x) = a0 + 1/2*k(x-x0)^2 + O((x-x0)^3).

Since we can set our zero of potential anywhere we want, we can assume without loss of generality that a0 = 0. Thus we have

V(x) = 1/2*k(x-x0)^2 + O((x-x0)^3).

Differentiating to get the force, we get a restoring force

F(x) = -V'(x) = -k(x-x0) + O((x-x0)^2)

near x = x0 for some k > 0. QED nigga

DUNCANownsKOBE
12-24-2013, 08:14 AM
It's definitely the better of the two solstices.

:cryit's just a coincidence Christmas and the winter solstice are perfectly aligned, the story of Jesus has NOTHING to do with paganism:cry

SupremeGuy
12-24-2013, 08:23 AM
It's ok. The time off and excuse to splurge on myself is cool though. My girl is working on both Christmas and New Years this year, so that's going to suck. Now I'll be forced to hang out with family or I could be the weird guy that goes to hang out with his friend's family. lol Maybe I'll just stay home, get drunk, and finally dig into the PS4. Fucking bought a couple of games that I've barely touched and shit. Oh and watch some ball.

SupremeGuy
12-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Christmas is fucking

Even gayer is this Apple ad :cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOdRAMRT_cFucking HATE that ad. lol

Rogue
12-24-2013, 08:51 AM
time to mug up the shits from books and get prepared for the exams tbh :cry I ain't gonna flunk nothing so I can resume writing "goddess" novels right away after the exams are done :king:

TDMVPDPOY
12-24-2013, 09:05 AM
christmas + end of year financial sales = money = broke

Suspect
12-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I dont care for it. I find it funny that one month, people are giving thanks for what they have (thanksgiving) following day they go out and get a bunch of shit(black friday) and then about a month later ask/look forward to getting more stuff(christmas)

also im not religious

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 10:07 AM
How can people hate Christmas? Those Roman Pagans came up with a badass holiday, tbh....

:rolleyes
"I'm smart. I am going to say something really clever to show that I know something about stuff."

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 10:10 AM
:cryit's just a coincidence Christmas and the winter solstice are perfectly aligned, the story of Jesus has NOTHING to do with paganism:cry

Get over yourself

Suspect
12-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Get over yourself
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=41158&dateline=1386699482

resistanze
12-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Christmas is basically time with family, drinking, and watching NBA games. I don't do the gift exchange shit. It's also my birthday, so I grew tired of the big parties at an early age.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-24-2013, 10:48 AM
I can take it or leave it. I like that it brings people together around food and drink but beyond that it's just a commercialized time of year. Hallmark ready, prepackaged and always gets worse every year.

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 10:53 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=41158&dateline=1386699482

Who cares? Why do people care so much about others' beliefs? If it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside then let them.

Suspect
12-24-2013, 11:00 AM
you're an easy one

SupremeGuy
12-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Is that Taylor Momsen in your sig?

bigzak25
12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I love Christmas, and its for the kids, and since I have two boys, its just awesome to watch them tear open presents.

Suspect
12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Is that Taylor Momsen in your sig?
not sure, looks like her

Clipper Nation
12-24-2013, 11:52 AM
"I'm smart. I am going to say something really clever to show that I know something about stuff."
:lmao Jeebotard

mrsmaalox
12-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Christmas "magic" is truly about little kids so if you don't have any of those around, it's just another holiday. As it is I was never a big fan because my mom was a very depressed person and the holidays were always just one big emotional breakdown and the drama far outweighed the joy. But I'm thankful now for any opportunity to see my relatives and friends, hoist a few and have some laughs.

CosmicCowboy
12-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I hate Christmas commercials in October.

I hate putting up Christmas lights.

I hate shopping in the crowds.

I hate the concept that giving money isn't cool because you "didn't put any thought into the gift"

One of my sisters always fucks up the family get together. Get over it bitches. You can't all be the "favorite" girl.

I hate the annual Christmas conversation with my Dad.

Him: "*sigh*, this will probably be my last Christmas..."
Me: "Probably so. You are fucking OLD! You realize all your friends are dead? I'm pretty damn sure I won't live to be 93."

I hate taking the Christmas tree down.

I hate taking the Christmas lights down.

I do enjoy the Christmas and New Years parties, though.

CosmicCowboy
12-24-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.brobible.com/life/article/the-12-ages-of-christmas?utm_source=thrillist&utm_medium=thrillist&utm_campaign=links

DeadlyDynasty
12-24-2013, 12:43 PM
i'm a cold-hearted workaholic so i hate anything that gets me off my rhythm.
This...wish I could head back to FL already. Love my family, but get sick of them after a couple days. Wanna sleep in my own bed, wake up on my own time, and get back to the grind.

baseline bum
12-24-2013, 01:03 PM
This...wish I could head back to FL already. Love my family, but get sick of them after a couple days. Wanna sleep in my own bed, wake up on my own time, and get back to the grind.

So no good coke connections back home at the family's place? Probably a lot more cut than you get in Florida too.

DeadlyDynasty
12-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I only do Xanax now, and that's just every so often when I run out of Ambien. I drink a lot up here though

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 01:16 PM
:lmao Jeebotard

It's not even that I believe in any of that stuff. It's the fact that, because you read something online, you feel like you are an expert on religious subjects. You sound just as stupid as the ones you are arguing with about Christmas.
They read a couple of scriptures and think they know everything there is to know. You wiki something and think you are an expert.
When the zombie apacolpyse happens you both will claim that you are right. The religious zealots will say that it is their deity that is seeking revenge on the sinners. People like you will say that it is a bacteria or virus that has evolved and is defending itself against humanity.
You will both be right though as it will be a scientist that is playing God and has created something that will backfire and destroy us all.

Clipper Nation
12-24-2013, 01:39 PM
It's amazing how butthurt people get when it's pointed out that Christmas was appropriated from Roman Pagan solstice festivals :lol

m>s
12-24-2013, 01:42 PM
who would have thought your jewish shilling ass would be in here talking shit on christmas. tbh, does goldman sachs even give their employees the day off for christmas or do yall celebrate Hanukkah??

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 01:45 PM
It's amazing how butthurt people get when it's pointed out that Christmas was appropriated from Roman Pagan solstice festivals :lol

It's amazing how you think you are the first to realize any of this.

Clipper Nation
12-24-2013, 01:59 PM
It's amazing how you think you are the first to realize any of this.
When did I say I was the first to realize this? All I'm saying is that all those traditions lifted from Yule and Saturnalia make for a great holiday, tbh....

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 02:21 PM
When did I say I was the first to realize this? All I'm saying is that all those traditions lifted from Yule and Saturnalia make for a great holiday, tbh....

LOL ok, chief. If it makes you feel smarter than go for it.
You didn't say that you were the first. You sure seem to feel that way though.

ploto
12-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I like Christmas very much, but I learned quite some time ago to make it the way I want it to be. The majority of the 2 days are spent at home with just my son and me. We will attend religious services on Christmas Eve - a nice quiet, reverent one without a bunch of parents running around filming their kids in angel and shepherd costumes. Afterwards, we will head to the family event, but since we go to church first, it will be almost over by the time we get there. We will have missed the annual frenzy of gift opening - of which I am not a fan - and will be able to be there simply for the visiting. I also quit participating in the name drawing thing a while back because it had turned into people just telling each other what to buy them. Now, I spend that money on gifts for a kids' charity and get nothing material in return. Tomorrow will be a nice day at home with a home-cooked meal and a few gifts for my kid.

Trill Clinton
12-24-2013, 02:27 PM
i love christmas. i come from a close knit family so its always good to fellowship, enjoy each others company, watch the kids open gifts, drank and eat.

Spurminator
12-24-2013, 02:29 PM
A week off work, sleeping in, gifts? Hard to hate that.

Trill Clinton
12-24-2013, 02:33 PM
I can take it or leave it.

you must be broke, single and lonely?

Clipper Nation
12-24-2013, 02:39 PM
LOL ok, chief. If it makes you feel smarter than go for it.
You didn't say that you were the first. You sure seem to feel that way though.
So stating facts = acting like I'm the first to discover them? Yeah, you're not butthurt or anything :lol

DMC
12-24-2013, 02:44 PM
"The 400 wealthiest Americans are worth a record $2.02 trillion, roughly equivalent to the GDP of Russia. That is a gain of $300 billion from a year ago, and more than double a decade ago. The average net worth of list members is a staggering $5 billion, $800 million more than a year ago and also a record. The minimum net worth needed to make the 400 list was $1.3 billion. The last time it was that high was in 2007 and 2008, before property and stock market values began sliding. Because the bar is so high, 61 American billionaires didn't make the cut."

Meanwhile:

As the economy picks up, slightly higher pay raises are coming with it.
Many U.S. workers can expect to bring home 3 percent more in 2013 than they did this year, according to forecasts from national compensation surveys .
That’s just over the average median pay raise of 2.7 percent to 2.8 percent in 2012. It's also more than the 2 percent to 2.5 percent raise most employees saw immediately after the recession, which started in late 2008, according to a 2013 salary report (https://www.buckconsultants.com/portals/0/publications/press-releases/2012/NR-2012-1108-Buck-Survey-2013-Comp-Planning.pdf) from Bucks Consultants.
Three percent raises are the new normal, says Ravin Jesuthasan, a compensation expert and managing director with management consultant Towers Watson. “I don’t think anyone should expect merit increases to deviate that much going forward, even if the economy does well,” he says.
Pay raises remain skimpy because unemployment is still high, and because companies continue to keep a lid on fixed costs, including labor, according to Jesuthasan and other compensation analysts.

I don't hate Christmas. I just hate being part of it.

I. Hustle
12-24-2013, 03:06 PM
So stating facts = acting like I'm the first to discover them? Yeah, you're not butthurt or anything :lol

No, stating facts for no other reason. Did a priest molest you as a kid? One did, huh? THAT MAKES A TON OF SENSE. Plus your excessive use of the word butthurt.

LOL Now I feel bad for you.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-24-2013, 03:56 PM
you must be broke, single and lonely?

Nope. I'm not black :toast

DJR210
12-24-2013, 07:33 PM
kinda hate it tbh..I mean I'd love to chit chat with a few relatives for a few hours but the whole gift thing is flat out pointless. Is your aunt one of them?

CuckingFunt
12-24-2013, 08:40 PM
I like Christmas quite a bit, but I have no attachment to the holiday's religious connotations and it's a holiday I've never made too big a deal about. But I have a fondness/nostalgia for the music and the decorations, I love the extra sparkle around town, and I love the social/familial aspects of the season. I also do love giving gifts (though I'm indifferent about receiving them), but I tend to be a big gift giver all year round and I actively reject the idea of gifts as a compulsory or expected part of the holiday.

Ultimately, it's a holiday that I enjoy, but refuse to stress about. This year I'm not actually doing anything for the holiday - I couldn't leave town for work obligations, and none of my family could make the trip out here for the same reason - and while it would be nice to see some people I haven't seen in a while, I'm not terribly broken up about the whole thing.

m>s
12-24-2013, 09:05 PM
I like Christmas quite a bit, but I have no attachment to the holiday's religious connotations and it's a holiday I've never made too big a deal about. But I have a fondness/nostalgia for the music and the decorations, I love the extra sparkle around town, and I love the social/familial aspects of the season. I also do love giving gifts (though I'm indifferent about receiving them), but I tend to be a big gift giver all year round and I actively reject the idea of gifts as a compulsory or expected part of the holiday.

Ultimately, it's a holiday that I enjoy, but refuse to stress about. This year I'm not actually doing anything for the holiday - I couldn't leave town for work obligations, and none of my family could make the trip out here for the same reason - and while it would be nice to see some people I haven't seen in a while, I'm not terribly broken up about the whole thing.

no one cares

CuckingFunt
12-24-2013, 09:07 PM
no one cares

No. No one should care. But you do, very much.

m>s
12-24-2013, 09:08 PM
nope bitch

xmas1997
12-24-2013, 09:59 PM
There is nothing like the Holidays, love it.
And "bah, humbug" to all you Scrooges out there!
A very Merry Christmas to the rest of you.
And a Happy New Year!