PDA

View Full Version : It is time for the NBA to contract.

dallasmaverickslose
12-24-2013, 03:22 AM
I am sure this isn't the first time (and it definitely won't be the last time) that somebody has brought up the topic of league contraction. But holy sh!t I've seen some crappy teams in the NBA over the years, but this particular season is borderline embarrassing.

Correction: It IS embarrassing. No joke, this league is in a real slump. There are way too many teams tanking for high picks for drafts that are filled to the brim with shitty players who have absolutely no business playing professional basketball. And on top of that, way too many of these shitty teams are recycling shitty washed-up coaches who have no creativity or basketball brains whatsoever, and have proven multiple times that thay cannot coach worth a damn. Even worse, way too many of these teams have absolute jokes for GMs and front offices that somehow think they can assemble a quality basketball organization, which they have proven they can't. Despite all of this, the all-mighty comish Stern (and soon be to Silver) couldn't give a rats ass about how seriously washed-up and screwed-up this league is. It is BAD.

I think the time could not be better for the league to seriously consider saying bye-bye to some of these patheticly run organizations for good. If you want a fiercely competitive NBA, folding 2 teams will not make a significant difference in my opinion. The effects would be marginal. If the league really is serious about making professional basketball competitive again, they'll shrink the league down to something like 24 teams. Yes 24 teams.

Think of some of the teams that have no business being in the NBA... Teams like Washington, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Utah, etc. Think of 6 teams you think the league would be better off without. By plopping all of these "orphaned" players of the folded teams in a league contraction draft that would be run somewhat like a fantasy draft, you immediately intensify the level of talent on each team that survived the cut. And that's just the beginning.

I like the idea somebody posted in the NBA forum that proposed a major change in how draft pick seeding is awarded. It's far from perfect, but I think it would be better than what we have right now. A revolution of the draft is something else that will be necessary in order to help condense talent, and it will also need to be a system that does not reward tanking. The joke that is the current draft lottery does not cut it.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on a major league contraction? What teams would you have fold? What would be your new draft system? And what other thoughts/ideas do you have?

Chinook
12-24-2013, 03:44 AM
You couldn't post this in the trade thread?

12-24-2013, 04:16 AM
This seems like it would be more appropriate in the nba forum. And why did you include Minnesota? Kevin Love is top 10 player in the league. Also Washington is decent...

Skull-1
12-24-2013, 09:12 AM
OP fail. Per par.

cjw
12-24-2013, 11:41 AM
This seems like it would be more appropriate in the nba forum. And why did you include Minnesota? Kevin Love is top 10 player in the league. Also Washington is decent...

I can't tell if Rubio helps Love get some of his points, or if Rubio is holding Love back. Rubio is the worst shooter in the league under 7'0" and I can't see his career trajectory improving.

Until this year, I thought Love was a one-dimensional guy but he's completely changed my opinion. Guy can shoot, rebound and pass though not much on the other end of the floor (rebounding is half of playing D though unless your guy is shooting 100% against you or you don't play help D).

james evans
12-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I can't tell if Rubio helps Love get some of his points, or if Rubio is holding Love back. Rubio is the worst shooter in the league under 7'0" and I can't see his career trajectory improving.

Until this year, I thought Love was a one-dimensional guy but he's completely changed my opinion. Guy can shoot, rebound and pass though not much on the other end of the floor (rebounding is half of playing D though unless your guy is shooting 100% against you or you don't play help D).
rondo may disagree.

bbarry
12-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Did you really think this through at all? How does folding teams going to help the NBA at all? Shitty coaches will still be coaches. Joke FOs are still going to remain joke FOs. Tasty, high in protein peanuts are still going to be tasty, high in protein peanuts. Giving teams more talent is not going to make FOs grow actual brains, even with the tasty peanuts they receive in negotiations with the Lakers.

Also, don't we have to at least wait until the CBA expires in about 4-5 years?

Not something that is going to happen overnight.

TheyCallMePro
12-24-2013, 04:06 PM
The reason why I created the draft revision thread was to showcase that the problem with the NBA is that it has created a losing culture through the draft process. In turn, fans have no longer have faith in their team and won't go to see them play because they believe that their team is not trying to win games and get better.

There probably are too many teams. But the real issue is that fans don't trust management to put a good product on the court. It's like retail. If you don't sell a good product that works, then no one will buy it. If the NBA wants to sell tickets again, then they have to get rid of the tanking culture that has consumed the NBA in recent years.

exstatic
12-24-2013, 04:25 PM
NBAPA would probably buy into a strike over multiple seasons to prevent the loss of 20% of player jobs.

spurs1990
12-24-2013, 08:48 PM
I'd like to see them down size to 27.

I enjoyed the Spurs playing Houston and Dallas 6 times in a season.

exstatic
12-24-2013, 11:58 PM
I'd like to see them down size to 27.

I enjoyed the Spurs playing Houston and Dallas 6 times in a season.

Horrible. The conferences would be different sizes! I also don't think that just trimming 3 teams increases your Dallas and Houston games by 2 each.

Doesn't matter, though. The NBA is never contracting.

rascal
12-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Washington is a good market, just haven't had good teams. It would be better for the NBA for the Spurs,New Orleans and Memphis to be the teams that fold and those players go to teams like Washington or Minn. or new start up teams in St. Louis, San Diego or Pittsburgh. Get NBA teams in all the larger markets.

cd021
12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
rondo may disagree.

Career
Rondo-11 ppg on 48% shooting
Rubio-10 ppg 35% Shooting

Rondo has improved his jump shot He shot 60-111 (54%, way above league average) on mid range shots lasts season in the areas above the Foul line. Rubio's is shooting 22-66 (32%) in those same areas.