PDA

View Full Version : Brawl: China vs Puerto Rico

Kori Ellis
07-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Mass brawl at China match

Jul 31, 2005

A basketball game between China and visiting Puerto Rico deteriorated into a mass brawl that state media denounced as a "night of shame", saying it set a bad example for the 2008 Olympic hosts.

The fighting erupted at Beijing Capital Gymnasium on Friday night after two Chinese players charged off the bench to fight Puerto Rican players in the dying moments of a game in which China was leading comfortably.

The bad feeling spilled into the stands where 3,000 home fans hurled insults and missiles, the China Daily reported on Saturday. Officials abandoned the game as the visitors fled to the locker room, one shielding his head with a plastic chair.

Chinese players Li Nan and Mo Ke had reacted after seeing teammate Yi Jianlian fouled hard by Puerto Rican centre Manuel Narvaez, the newspaper said.

"Fists, plastic cups, water bottles and even a fan's shoe went flying during the fracas with China's Yi Jianlian, Tang Zhengdong, Mo Ke and Li Nan right in the middle of it," the official China Daily reported on Saturday.

China's basketball association deplored the violence as setting a poor example just three years before Beijing hosts the summer Olympics and said it would adopt measures to prevent such violence from recurring.

"Such behaviour is very disgusting and leaves an extremely bad impression," the China Sports Daily quoted association spokesman Li Jinsheng as saying.

NBA superstar Yao Ming, out with a toe injury, watched from the sidelines as the melee erupted but took no part.

"The Chinese basketball team should learn a lesson from this incident," Yao was quoted as saying by sports.sohu.com.

Victory in the Stankovic Cup game, abandoned with China ahead 91-80, was later awarded to the hosts. A basketball association official said China should apologise to fans.

State media railed about the team's behaviour.

In a story headlined "China suffers night of shame", China Daily said the brawl "badly hurt the growing reputation of Chinese basketball".

"China and Puerto Rico stage 'free for all'," said the Guangzhou Daily.

It said they had turned the Capital Gymnasium, a 2008 Olympic venue, into "the Palace of Auburn Hills arena", where Detroit players and fans brawled near the end of a game against the Indiana Pacers in November 2004.

Three thousand fans hurled abuse along with drinks, plastic bottles, yoghurt and popcorn at the Puerto Rican team as it headed off-court.

"This is the ugliest scene I have ever experienced in my life," 31-year-old fan Wang Kai was quoted as saying.

"The Puerto Rico players have travelled more than 30 hours to come to China and they are our guests. As the host team, how can we treat them with such disdain?"

It was not the first instance of violence for Chinese basketball.In Shanghai in July 2001, China and Lebanon clashed just 10 days after Beijing won the right to host the Olympics.

Both benches emptied after the final buzzer of a physical game, Chinese fans threw water bottles and other objects and several Lebanese players were bloodied before police broke it up.

In other sports, overzealous Chinese supporters have frequently embarrassed the authorities. Soccer in particular has seen a number of violent incidents.

Fans rioted in Beijing in 1985 after the national soccer team lost a World Cup qualifier against tiny Hong Kong, missing out on the 1986 finals in Mexico.

In August 2004, angry fans went on a rampage in the capital after the national team lost the Asian Cup final to Japan.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/600941

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Haymakers, Bedlam, Malice

thispego
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
were there haymakers thrown?

timvp
07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
At least we know China is watching the NBA. Every continent needs a good brouhaha to liven up the fan base.

picnroll
07-30-2005, 04:46 PM
fans hurled insults and missiles

Missiles? Dayam.

timvp
07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Missiles? Dayam.

Yeah, they made those missiles out of their pocket calculators.

[/reggiewhite]

Money316
07-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Was Artest anywhere around?
:fro :fro :fro

sickdsm
07-30-2005, 06:28 PM

[/reggiewhite]

Classic.

:lol

team-work
07-30-2005, 11:22 PM
As a Chinese, I do feel ashamed of the incident. It hurts our image as a host of 2008 Olympics.

Luckily Yao was not involved, otherwise perhaps his only asset in NBA, i.e. being a nice man, would be lost.

spursupporter
07-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Yao is as calm as tayshaun.

slayermin
07-31-2005, 12:13 AM

[/reggiewhite]

We all know the Chinese are years behind the Japanese in pocket calculator to ICBM technology. :smokin

team-work
07-31-2005, 06:00 AM
We all know the Chinese are years behind the Japanese in pocket calculator to ICBM technology.

For your information, the relationship between China and Japan is not good now, mainly because of Japanese refusal to face the history of WWII (8 years' invasion of China which ended by US atomic bombs on Japan). We Chinese only has one goal now : economical development peacefully. I would like to know what you Americans think.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2005, 06:21 AM
Damned Chinese.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Just curious if anyone's seen a clip of the brawl, if it was released by China's Communi...I mean, State-Run Media.

ALVAREZ6
07-31-2005, 07:30 AM
I saw this on ESPN, and I must say, one of the Chinese dudes was a bitch...he tried kicking a Puerto Rican player, but missed. I was thinking he was whippin out some Kung-Fu shit on his ass, but that kick was really bad...

Money316
07-31-2005, 07:40 AM
For your information, the relationship between China and Japan is not good now, mainly because of Japanese refusal to face the history of WWII (8 years' invasion of China which ended by US atomic bombs on Japan). We Chinese only has one goal now : economical development peacefully. I would like to know what you Americans think.

One thing about economic development is it eventually leads to economic competition, and maybe worse. Kind of like the Chinese government wanting to buy a US oil company, all the while limiting what foreign companies can do in China. We call that hipocrisy.

Screw China and Puerto Rico. Lets talk Spurs basketball.

:fro :fro :fro

TDMVPDPOY
07-31-2005, 07:49 AM
That MoKe kid was rumored to be the next AK47 OR KG type player comin outof asia and look what he pulls off. AND YI LIANJIANG wasnt his name mentioned alot last 2 years about being better then yao for his age or sumshit.

xcoriate
07-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Its kind of stupid to have politocal struggles with Japan over WW2 though. I'm sure theres more too it ass the world has moved on and these problems are pretty recent.

2pac
07-31-2005, 08:58 AM
This is a well-known rivalry that goes back thousands of years. It was inevitable.

Vashner
07-31-2005, 09:27 AM
The Puerto Rico team didn't pull out switchblades and said "i'll BEEPing cut you man!"..
(not racist just saying I have friends from there and that's what they normally do).

Spam
07-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Puerto Rico should have just woked off the floor.

TDMVPDPOY
07-31-2005, 10:04 AM
So how was the yogurt?

Samr
07-31-2005, 10:23 AM
They're learning. Awsome.

Did they throw cups of beer, or Saki?

Tobias
07-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Yeah China gets really out of hand with their sports sometimes. Especially the Asia Cup match against Japan noted at the end of the article. It was really ugly as the spectators made it akin to a war being fought rather than a game.

I wouldn't want to go to the Olympics there.

JoeChalupa
07-31-2005, 10:33 AM
China has always been a country I'd like to visit.
The history is incredible.

orhe
07-31-2005, 10:56 AM
^^^

yeah...
makes you wonder... with all those advancements... the resources... how come they never fully developed?

JoeChalupa
07-31-2005, 11:08 AM
^^^

yeah...
makes you wonder... with all those advancements... the resources... how come they never fully developed?

Huh? I think they are fully developed, just not in the American way.

But that would be a political forum discussion.

orhe
07-31-2005, 11:22 AM
ain't china still a mainly agriculturaly dependent country? maybe beijing is developed but their provinces really use the old ways

yavozerb
07-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Classic would have been to play "Everybody was kung fu fighting" over the loud speakers and for the chinese players to woop some ass!!!

Ozzy
08-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Here is a video of the brawl...

mms://wmedia.siol.net/SiOL/info/20050730_35_pretep_kosarkarjevsport.wmv

Plus you get to enjoy the commentary in your favourite language. (slovenian)

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Damn, one of those Puerto Rican guys channeled J. O'Neal for one punch.

timvp
08-01-2005, 02:37 AM
The worst part for the Chinese was that the foul to start it all wasn't even that bad. I'm not even sure if it would have been classified as a hard foul in the NBA. Just a regular foul.

The kick by the chinese guy was classic. :rollin

Blaze, control your people.

:smokin

iminlakerland
08-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Damn at china trying to get street credibility, man this is horrible for basketball as a whole.

I was just skimmin threw the article and came across the lebanese players being bloodied. Damn my country men were bloodied :(

team-work
08-01-2005, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all the opinions!

I'm glad if actions are taken by the China basketball authorities to make sure nothing like that will happen again. To me, basketball is an international "language" that can break down barriers between countries (c.f. "ping-pong diplomatics"), and violence should take no role in it no matter what circumstances are. A hard foul should be punished by free throw(s) and not punches.

mattyc
08-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Did Mengke whack anyone?

FlyMonk321
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
where Detroit players and fans brawled near the end of a game against the Indiana Pacers in November 2004.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/600941

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Friendly Detroiter here, a little pissed at the characterization of my team and my city. Yes some of our fans suck, but how is there no mention of the Pacers' actions in instigating this event as well. Apparently history has shat on the city of Detroit yet again. Hell, the only Detroit player involved was Ben - and to his credit he never threw a punch.

bigbendbruisebrother
08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Friendly Detroiter here, a little pissed at the characterization of my team and my city. Yes some of our fans suck, but how is there no mention of the Pacers' actions in instigating this event as well. Apparently history has shat on the city of Detroit yet again. Hell, the only Detroit player involved was Ben - and to his credit he never threw a punch.

International laughing stock forum.

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
It said they had turned the Capital Gymnasium, a 2008 Olympic venue, into "the Palace of Auburn Hills arena",

damn...when the guys that brought you Tiannemen Square call you out..... :lmao

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 12:27 PM

Fair point, but blame the Chinese guy...he said it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-01-2005, 12:49 PM
damn...when the guys that brought you Tiannemen Square call you out..... :lmao

Chinese Guy 1: People wanting democracy? Fuck that. Gas up the tanks.

Chinese Guy 2: Why not just throw a beer cup at them?

Chinese Guy 1: Are you crazy, man? Guards, take him away!

samikeyp
08-01-2005, 12:55 PM
^^^ :lmao :lmao

tlongII
08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I spent 2 weeks in Shanghai about 6 or 7 years ago on business. Very interesting place. When I went downtown on the weekend it was like I was a celebrity. Lots of kids would follow me and take pictures of me. Apparently they hadn't seen a lot of caucasian visitors.