PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King's Dark Tower Series+++

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Has anyone read this Series?

I'm almost done with part 1 "The Gunslinger"

So far, I don't think it has been 'all that' but it has been a moderatly interesting read, has a nice adventure-y feel

I'm curious about what other people think about it and if I should continue reading the series....I've read some internet reviews saying how towards books 6 or so he starts writing stuff way out of line

and even in the version of book 1 i have he says how he'd never really finish the story and it would take 300 years to publish the entire story of the Dark Tower. Another authors note i read by stephen king for the final book 7 was that he kind of rushed the ending and did it partly because he was scared his audience was losing interest and thought they were being led on a wild goose chase.

So what do you all think? Any feedback would be great.

thispego
07-30-2005, 05:12 PM
:lmao

MannyIsGod
07-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I read them all. Good shit. It really takes off in the 2nd and 3rd, but the 4th is probably the best book of them all. 5,6, and 7 were ok, but he kind of goes off the rocker for awhile. I loved the series though.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 05:35 PM
awesome, thanks guys, screw u pego

yeah i heard he uses himself as a character in the later books lol

MannyIsGod
07-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah he does. I thought that was super gay.

jalbre6
07-30-2005, 09:29 PM
I read them all. Good shit. It really takes off in the 2nd and 3rd, but the 4th is probably the best book of them all. 5,6, and 7 were ok, but he kind of goes off the rocker for awhile. I loved the series though.

I started reading this series almost ten years ago, and was VERY disappointed in the way the last three books (Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, and The Dark Tower) turned out. This series had way too much potential after the first three books to screw up the way that the last three did. I was pretty lukewarm on Manny's fave Wizard and Glass...though it was easily the best of the last four. Too much cutesy shit for me to handle with the flashbacks, the back story, and whatnot.

That said, I still have every one of them in hardback, and bought the last three the days that they were released.

Mr. Ash
07-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Agreed. The last three, especially Song of Susannah, were almost painful to read at times. I really only finished the series off becuase it felt like I had already invested 20 years in reading it (I still remember reading the first one back in high school)...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm like 16 pages from finishing The Gunslinger. So far, i think that Roland is a big chode...I mean he's a bad ass, but he just left poor little Jake dangling for dear life.

spurster
07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Good series. Entertaining. But don't expect any sort of consistency in how things work.

jalbre6
07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm like 16 pages from finishing The Gunslinger. So far, i think that Roland is a big chode...I mean he's a bad ass, but he just left poor little Jake dangling for dear life.

CBF, I'm a little curious on which edition of the Gunslinger you're reading. King rewrote (or at least revised a bit...I don't remember) Book One right after finishing DT7 to clear up some inconsistencies that happened throughout the series.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 10:06 PM
i heard about that, i read the authors notes for book 7 and King mentinoed something about that.

I have a 'plume' edition, large softcover with some illustrations, the inside cover says first plume printing 1988, and in the Afterword, King makes it clear that he hasn't even written books 5-7 yet

MannyIsGod
07-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Thats not the revised edition then. I haven't read the revised edition either.

07-30-2005, 10:32 PM
I read the first three back when they were first published. I couldn't get into the series with the layoff between books and the story arc. I thought the first one was really good.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 10:37 PM
I just finished it....I don't see why Roland had to age 10 years while talking to the Man in Black

but its what he gets, lol

07-30-2005, 10:42 PM
Yea, and the deal with the crab screwing up the gunslinger's hand was a bummer.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't think that happened in the first book. So does Roland go through the rest of the books being old now?

07-30-2005, 10:46 PM
It wasn't in "Dark Tower"?

Damn, didn't mean to screw it up for you.

I can't remember if Roland had to deal with the age thing throughout or not, it was so long ago I read it.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Well I've only just finished book 1.

Its cool, just don't reveal anything too important to me heh
I liked book 1, it was aiight.

jalbre6
07-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Well I've only just finished book 1.

Its cool, just don't reveal anything too important to me heh
I liked book 1, it was aiight.

If you liked the first one (especially if you liked Jake's character), get the second book, The Drawing of the Three. IMO, it's the best one of the series.