PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the matchup against the Rockets, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Prior to the season, I said Houston would be the most difficult matchup for the Spurs, and these first 2 games have given me no indication that my original thought was wrong, tbh..

These matchup problems have been exacerbated by Pop's strategy IMO..

Some questions I have for anybody that has the answers:

- Why is Leonard guarding Harden instead of Parsons?..Harden is a top 10 player in the league, he's going to get his points regardless, what's the point of wasting Leonard on him?..also, if Pop is confident in Leonard's ability to guard Harden, why is the strategy still demanding that the Spurs load the paint against Harden's drives and leaving shooters open?..

What's the point of having Leonard on Harden AND loading the paint?..

Why are you allowing Parsons to play against unathletic, 6'6 defenders in Manu and Beli?..he dominated the first game and set tone for the game, and he has done the same tonight..the Spurs had a similar problem against the Warriors in last year's series until Pop finally realized to put Kawhi on Thompson and eliminate him from the series..

- Why load the paint against Harden and Howard?..let them get their numbers, don't let Houston get hot..

- Why can't they call a post-up play for Leonard against Harden, which is the only clear mismatch for the Spurs?..Leonard is not a good shooter, stop forcing him to be strictly a spot-up shooter..we just saw him dominate an elite defender in Iguodala just last week, but he can't get a post play against one of the worst defensive players in the league?..

apalisoc_9
12-25-2013, 09:26 PM
3. I don't know man...I think Pop is just stubborn as brick. He'll make the right adjustments in the playoffs, he's just refuses to do it in the RS...It's very frustrating because part of kawhi's inability to turn into a solid third option is Pop himself...maybe a slight blame goes to Parker

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Harden has dominated Leonard in both games, he's a fucking elite player, he's going to score against any defender..

Chandler Parsons isn't a great player, he can easily be limited by good defenders, it just doesn't make any sense, tbh:lmao..

Arc
12-25-2013, 10:17 PM
pop's defensive strategy is dumb. like you said, he should take away the threes and let harden and dwight beat you. harden will get tired, instead of going god mode in the 4th like he's doing now. pop fuckin up.

Robz4000
12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm starting to believe the 'Spurs can't beat elite teams' hype. Spurs system being exposed by Duncan and Parker's regression.

timtonymanu
12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Thankfully this isn't a playoff series. If Pop was smart, he would save the strategy for the playoffs and make the adjustments then.

Harden will always go off. Parsons won't. It's that easy. Parsons struggles tonight and the Spurs win easily.

Arcadian
12-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I wonder how Pop hmself would answer those questions. If we could peer inside the mind of Pop, what would we find? Would we be humbled or horrified?

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 10:23 PM
I wonder how Pop hmself would answer those questions. If we could peer inside the mind of Pop, what would we find? Would we be humbled or horrified?

He would scoff at the questions and make a smart-ass remark, tbh, and the mainstream media would laugh at Pop's silliness..

MR-Clutch
12-25-2013, 10:23 PM
We have to make harden work on defense. Every time leonard seems to be getting in an offensive rhythm we pull him or our ball dominant guard system takes him back out of it.

timmy2003
12-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm starting to believe the 'Spurs can't beat elite teams' hype. Spurs system being exposed by Duncan and Parker's regression.

True. We rely heavily on Parker and Duncan and now they are unable to deliver when it matters

Arc
12-25-2013, 10:26 PM

you know, we have a good, deep team, and we should be able to beat the rockets with it because they're not that good. more than the players being old, i'm starting to think pop is too old. he doesn't play the better players, doesn't make the right play calls, doesn't fully utilize the talent we have, and plays teams wrong defensively. it's like he's trying to make every game as hard as possible with the decisions he makes. it's truly baffling to me.

apalisoc_9
12-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Two phucking touches for the guy that got you back in the third fucking quarter !! And no manu ginobili..Wow

Belli has no business playing heavy minutes against the Rockets tbh...

timmy2003
12-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Two phucking touches for the guy that got you back in the third fucking quarter !! And no manu ginobili..Wow

Rockets are built to destroy us.

Robz4000
12-25-2013, 10:29 PM
you know, we have a good, deep team, and we should be able to beat the rockets with it because they're not that good. more than the players being old, i'm starting to think pop is too old. he doesn't play the better players, doesn't make the right play calls, doesn't fully utilize the talent we have, and plays teams wrong defensively. it's like he's trying to make every game as hard as possible with the decisions he makes. it's truly baffling to me.

:lol no, this Houston team represents everything the Spurs struggle with on top of being a top team in the West. They'll be even better once they trade Asik.

ElNono
12-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't think we'll see this personnel matchup on a potential playoffs series. The Rockets do have the shooters to make it difficult on us though.

cjw
12-25-2013, 10:30 PM
Rockets minutes in mid 30s to low 40s. Spurs filling in a lot of scrub minutes. Whatever

Spursfanfromafar
12-25-2013, 10:31 PM
The thing is that it is not only a Rockets size issue that the Spurs would have to fix, going forward. There seems to be something wrong with the defense and there are too many drop-offs from personnel to personnel in offense.

1) Spurs' perimeter defense, despite Kawhi & Green, has been rather bad. Particularly against good teams. PGs in particular have been poor, even if Mills does try. Parker has been very bad.
2) Tiago & Ayres' rugged and erratic offense. When the Spurs do get stops when they are around, it almost gets to 4 on 5 basketball on offense, at the same time. Tiago's soft touch & hard finishes are missing while Ayres has just been awful.
3) Spurs *clearly* need a 3 & D player. Preferably who can play small ball PF - a point that has been made ad nauseum in this forum over the year. A Kirilenko-type is a must. Bonner is redundant and is practically useless now for the team. His $4 million salary is burning a unnecessary hole in the squad. The only reason he is there is possibly because Ayres has been very very bad.

DPG21920
12-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Paper Tigers at the moment.

timmy2003
12-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Rockets minutes in mid 30s to low 40s. Spurs filling in a lot of scrub minutes. Whatever

They are a much younger team. you can't expect Timmy/Manu playing 35-40 a game

apalisoc_9
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM
The thing is that it is not only a Rockets size issue that the Spurs would have to fix, going forward. There seems to be something wrong with the defense and there are too many drop-offs from personnel to personnel in offense.

1) Spurs' perimeter defense, despite Kawhi & Green, has been rather bad. Particularly against good teams. PGs in particular have been poor, even if Mills does try. Parker has been very bad.
2) Tiago & Ayres' rugged and erratic offense. When the Spurs do get stops when they are around, it almost gets to 4 on 5 basketball on offense, at the same time. Tiago's soft touch & hard finishes are missing while Ayres has just been awful.
3) Spurs *clearly* need a 3 & D player. Preferably who can play small ball PF - a point that has been made ad nauseum in this forum over the year. A Kirilenko-type is a must. Bonner is redundant and is practically useless now for the team. His $4 million salary is burning a unnecessary hole in the squad. The only reason he is there is possibly because Ayres has been very very bad.

Not a huge concern. Kawhi will play that role in the playoffs...

Ditty
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM
I don't think we'll see this personnel matchup on a potential playoffs series. The Rockets do have the shooters to make it difficult on us though.

+1 Spurs will eventually adjust if they do play play them in the playoffs.

timmy2003
12-25-2013, 10:34 PM
:lol no, this Houston team represents everything the Spurs struggle with on top of being a top team in the West. They'll be even better once they trade Asik.
They have it all.

cjw
12-25-2013, 10:35 PM
They are a much younger team. you can't expect Timmy/Manu playing 35-40 a game

Not in the regular season, which is why I say whatever. In the playoffs, Tony and Kawhi at the very least can go for at least as many minutes as Dwight. Harden can play over 40 because he really only plays 20 and zero on D.

So many guys in a slump right now but will still worry until we have a marquee win (GS game doesn't really count to me)

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 10:36 PM

The problems are abundant, but the most obvious problem with the Spurs at the moment is that their 4 best defensive players are Duncan, Splitter, Kawhi and Green..unfortunately for the Spurs, Splitter's offense has completely regressed, Kawhi's shot is broken and he can't play with Parker, and Green is just lost at the moment..

This forces the Spurs to play Manu(old, can't give you consistent defense) and Beli(horrible defender)..

Last year, the Spurs were getting solid offensive production from Green, Splitter and Leonard, which allowed the team to play high-level ball on both ends of the floor..

The people that claim the Spurs are losing because they can't stick with athletic teams are the typical morons, tbh..if the Spurs were getting the same production on offense from last year's role players, they would be winning the same games they were winning last season..

Spursfanfromafar
12-25-2013, 10:40 PM
The problems are abundant, but the most obvious problem with the Spurs at the moment is that their 4 best defensive players are Duncan, Splitter, Kawhi and Green..unfortunately for the Spurs, Splitter's offense has completely regressed, Kawhi's shot is broken and he can't play with Parker, and Green is just lost at the moment..

This forces the Spurs to play Manu(old, can't give you consistent defense) and Beli(horrible defender)..

Last year, the Spurs were getting solid offensive production from Green, Splitter and Leonard, which allowed the team to play high-level ball on both ends of the floor..

Yup. I agree. Pop needs to stick with the TP, Green, Leonard, Splitter, Duncan lineup though. And must insist that TP involves Kawhi more and more in that lineup. Splitter simply has to get back his rhythm in practice. His defense has been fantastic all season. And all that TP coasting thing.. at the least he should focus on defense. Allowing the likes of Lin to burn him is just embarrassing.

Manu, Beli & Mills can continue to provide the spark from the bench and maybe over the season they get that complement who could take the weight off Kawhi & Green.

Raven
12-25-2013, 10:48 PM
if green isn't in the lineup, leonard has to guard harden, otherwise with beli there, harden goes for 50-60 tbh

12-25-2013, 10:52 PM

see my Kawhi thread. Happens all the time

Johnny RIngo
12-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Changing the starting lineup seemed like a desperation move to me. You have to stick with the rotation that brought you to the Finals. Maybe Pop will have second thoughts after that horrible first quarter and bring Green back with the starters.

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Changing the starting lineup seemed like a desperation move to me. You have to stick with the rotation that brought you to the Finals. Maybe Pop will have second thoughts after that horrible first quarter and bring Green back with the starters.

Duncan
Diaw
Leonard
Green
Parker

Diaw gives you spacing and another creator, it allows Leonard to post up more often and it would allow Green to get more looks, too..

Splitter gives the bench a defensive anchor and allows him to get easy layups with the spacing from Manu/Beli/Mills..

wildchild
12-25-2013, 11:09 PM
The starting lineup with Belli on Parsons didn't work, how many times "this experiment" should be repeated? C'mon Pop!!

- Why can't they CALL A POST-UP PLAY FOR LEONARD AGAINST HARDEN, which is the only clear mismatch for the Spurs?..

HarlemHeat37
12-25-2013, 11:10 PM
To be fair, this thread was made at halftime and Pop actually called 4 or 5 post plays for Leonard..I just don't understand how it takes an elite coach 3 quarters to realize that he should be exploiting the Spurs' best and arguably only offensive mismatch..

Johnny RIngo
12-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Duncan
Diaw
Leonard
Green
Parker

Diaw gives you spacing and another creator, it allows Leonard to post up more often and it would allow Green to get more looks, too..

Splitter gives the bench a defensive anchor and allows him to get easy layups with the spacing from Manu/Beli/Mills..

My post was referring more to the Belli replacing Green in the starting unit. Never was much of a fan of that move.

I don't mind Diaw moving back with the starters either. We had a good playoff run with Diaw in 2012..Splitter in 2013. Either is fine with me. Diaw probably makes more sense for the time being since everyone seems to be struggling with their jumpshots which is ruining all the spacing.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-25-2013, 11:33 PM

Not gonna lie sometimes I think exactly the same thing you are saying here. I tell myself Pop is a genius and knows what he is doing. But the past few seasons really make we wonder at times. I hope you are wrong.

RD2191
12-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Pop has an early onset of dementia. I mentioned this last year.

wildchild
12-25-2013, 11:36 PM
To be fair, this thread was made at halftime and Pop actually called 4 or 5 post plays for Leonard..I just don't understand how it takes an elite coach 3 quarters to realize that he should be exploiting the Spurs' best and arguably only offensive mismatch..

Leonard could take advantage of many guys in the league and exploit mismatches against small/weak/slower defenders...but Pop called post plays for him against Dudley/Clippers or last night vs Toronto???

Arcadian
12-25-2013, 11:37 PM
He would scoff at the questions and make a smart-ass remark, tbh, and the mainstream media would laugh at Pop's silliness..

:lol Yeah, we all know how Pop answers questions in public, but is that really a reflection of his mental processes? What does he really think about things that he doesn't reveal to anyone?

Duncan
Diaw
Leonard
Green
Parker

I agree with that...that's the lineup I roll with in NBA 2K. Which is obviously the best evidence for anything. :lol

ElNono
12-25-2013, 11:40 PM
I brought up the Rockets matchup before and the biggest issue is that they have it all, IMO. Dwight can put up 20-20 every game, even on an off night. Penetrating against them is an issue in the half court. They're a nightmare to defend, because they have the big man, the shooters and the guy that penetrates at will and gets the calls. I think they're a worse matchup than OKC because OKC is missing the dominant guy inside, and it's debatable who has he better outside shooters.

The Spurs will have to be very disciplined against Houston and exploit that Lin sometimes can be shaky. It's a team that because of matchups, you can't screw up too much or they'll burn you.

TheGoldStandard
12-25-2013, 11:52 PM
It helps if they actually stay with their guy and let the interior bigs rotate rather than help defense in the paint and leave the 3 pt line open.. Shit I think I could hit those open shots.

PlayNando
12-26-2013, 12:08 AM
That was Tony's worst game in ages, tbh. That was an embarrassing performance.

FWIW, Kawhi did get some post-ups late in the game on Harden and the results weren't all that impressive, tbh. He did well in the third quarter, though.

sexinthatsx
12-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Don't worry guys, Spurs are just losing a nationally televised regular season game to hide their true way to defeat them come playoffs. If the Spurs really wanted to win against the Rockets tonight, they could have just played Aaron Baynes against D12 like in the first round last year. Instead, Pop chose Splitter instead. All good

Hoops Czar
12-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Prior to the season, I said Houston would be the most difficult matchup for the Spurs, and these first 2 games have given me no indication that my original thought was wrong, tbh..

These matchup problems have been exacerbated by Pop's strategy IMO..

Some questions I have for anybody that has the answers:

- Why is Leonard guarding Harden instead of Parsons?..Harden is a top 10 player in the league, he's going to get his points regardless, what's the point of wasting Leonard on him?..also, if Pop is confident in Leonard's ability to guard Harden, why is the strategy still demanding that the Spurs load the paint against Harden's drives and leaving shooters open?..

What's the point of having Leonard on Harden AND loading the paint?..

Why are you allowing Parsons to play against unathletic, 6'6 defenders in Manu and Beli?..he dominated the first game and set tone for the game, and he has done the same tonight..the Spurs had a similar problem against the Warriors in last year's series until Pop finally realized to put Kawhi on Thompson and eliminate him from the series..

- Why load the paint against Harden and Howard?..let them get their numbers, don't let Houston get hot..

- Why can't they call a post-up play for Leonard against Harden, which is the only clear mismatch for the Spurs?..Leonard is not a good shooter, stop forcing him to be strictly a spot-up shooter..we just saw him dominate an elite defender in Iguodala just last week, but he can't get a post play against one of the worst defensive players in the league?..

Now you're just trolling. Why would you put your best defender on your opponents best offensive player..... Do you really need that spelled out for you? You also make it sound like it's Pops fault for Kawhi shooting jumpers. Kawhi needs to take it upon himself to take the ball to the basket and force the issue. Pip isn't a babysitter. And Houston is a bad matchup? No, any team that plays defense is a bad matchup. You can quote defensive efficiency all you like but you'd just be wasting your damn time. The Spurs offense was clumsy and awkward and the defense was wretched all game long. Open your eyes and maybe you'd notice the pattern forming.

Mikeanaro
12-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Don't worry guys, Spurs are just losing a nationally televised regular season game to hide their true way to defeat them come playoffs. If the Spurs really wanted to win against the Rockets tonight, they could have just played Aaron Baynes against D12 like in the first round last year. Instead, Pop chose Splitter instead. All good
CIA Pop?
Please Im fed up with that shit, team has real problems and some people are blindfolded.

Johnny RIngo
12-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Now you're just trolling. Why would you put your best defender on your opponents best offensive player..... Do you really need that spelled out for you? You also make it sound like it's Pops fault for Kawhi shooting jumpers. Kawhi needs to take it upon himself to take the ball to the basket and force the issue. Pip isn't a babysitter. And Houston is a bad matchup? No, any team that plays defense is a bad matchup. You can quote defensive efficiency all you like but you'd just be wasting your damn time. The Spurs offense was clumsy and awkward and the defense was wretched all game long. Open your eyes and maybe you'd notice the pattern forming.

Except the Rockets don't play any semblance of defense. They're ranked 17th in the league. Great offensive team, shitty defense though. Anybody that watches the NBA would know this. But I doubt you watch any games.

Hoops Czar
12-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Except the Rockets don't play any semblance of defense. They're ranked 17th in the league. Great offensive team, shitty defense though. Anybody that watches the NBA would know this. But I doubt you watch any games.

Hey, bimbo shit, Houston is nowhere near as bad a defesive team as you may think. Maybe if you open your damn eyes and take your pea brain head out of ESPN's stats analysis, you'd know this. And yeah, 7th in oponents FG% and 10th in defensive effficiency (and climbing ) is bad. It's fun to make stuff up though. You're a pro at it.

tmtcsc
12-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Splitter played like a big vagina tonight. Gave me flashbacks of his weak-ass effort in the finals. Remember when Harden stared him down in OKC in WCF? That was embarrassing. When a pussy like Harden makes you look away, you know you're soft.

PlayNando
12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Splitter played like a big vagina tonight. Gave me flashbacks of his weak-ass effort in the finals. Remember when Harden stared him down in OKC in WCF? That was embarrassing. When a pussy like Harden makes you look away, you know you're soft.
All our bigs were fkn garbage, tbh.

Timmy only was halfway decent because he grabbed 14 rebounds, but his defense and his shooting left a lot to be desired, tbh!

Matt Bonner played well in his limited action, though, I guess. :lol

timtonymanu
12-26-2013, 02:15 AM

Why do people still complain about this? :lol

Splitter has always been a softie. He's never had the Tyson Chandler/Noah type of attitude.

Arcadian
12-26-2013, 02:21 AM
The question we should be asking is, can Houston beat OKC or Portland in a series? They will likely have to go through one of those teams before they play the Spurs...unless they end up in the 3 and 6 seeds, respectively, but I don't think so. I think Houston ends up 3 or 4 and the Spurs 1 or 2.

sook
12-26-2013, 02:35 AM
The question we should be asking is, can Houston beat OKC or Portland in a series? They will likely have to go through one of those teams before they play the Spurs...unless they end up in the 3 and 6 seeds, respectively, but I don't think so. I think Houston ends up 3 or 4 and the Spurs 1 or 2.

Portland, yes. OKC, maybe. Spurs, I still say no. Too much vet experience and in the playoffs it really matters.

phxspurfan
12-26-2013, 04:50 AM
We really miss Neal I think. He was a great sparkplug that could have hit some threes and got us back in the game during one of those runs where we almost got over the hump. And yes, the defense was just flat out atrocious.

rascal
12-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Splitter doesn't show up against the good teams.

rascal
12-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Yes hope for the matchups to play out for the Spurs to avoid the better teams, and hope for injuries too because as constructed on the court the spurs can't beat the better teams.