PDA

View Full Version : Spurs passed up on Erick Green (led the nation in scoring) in the 2013 NBA Draft

mute
12-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I can't believe the Spurs passed up on Erick Green. He's everything we need at this point. He's a (scoring) point guard. He's got the size (and length) and athleticism, along with the play making abilities that we're lacking.

Why are we loading up and stashing dudes overseas when we should be planning for now (before our window of opportunity closes)? I just don't get these international "projects". It was cool 15 years ago before everyone else caught on and started scouting overseas. Unless we land the next coming of Lebron James, the last two years and these next two years that Duncan has signed for are our best chance at winning another title.

Why didn't we draft Green (bring him along this year and give him major minutes next year if he showed anything)? It's not like he's inexperienced or anything. He stayed in college all four years. And no, I didn't just name drop this guy because he led the nation in scoring. I've played pick-up ball against him a few times, so I've followed him closely. One knock against him is that he's no where near the 6'4" or 6'3" that sites are listing him as.

If we want to be cheap and not pay anyone decent to come play for us, we have the entire next decade after Duncan to do that (assuming that we will even have a franchise in the future, could Seattle be a possible landing spot for us?). Andrew Bynum, Monta Ellis, Tyreke Evans, and Paul Millsap all signed reasonable contracts that we could have easily gambled on. For example, Millsap 19 mill/2 years? Are you serious??!? Biggest steal in my opinion of the off season.

- he can shoot the three ball
- he can handle the ball (cough, cough Danny Green)
- he can create for others and himself
- off the dribble game
- can finish at the rim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwZJCZqNhIg

dallasmaverickslose
12-27-2013, 01:31 AM
If he's so fantastic, why isn't this second coming of Michael Jordan currently on an NBA roster?

TheWriter
12-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Fuck GNSF trolls.

Jwash_1986
12-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Nuggets shipped his ass oversees like we did Thomas

Sean Cagney
12-27-2013, 02:23 AM
If he's so fantastic, why isn't this second coming of Michael Jordan currently on an NBA roster?

^^^^^^ This.

mute
12-27-2013, 02:58 AM

I never said he was the second coming of Jordan, but for a second round pick/availability stand point, he represents a need on our roster. He can score, pass, drive, and shoot. We need more athleticism and speed.

exstatic
12-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Alfrederick Hughes.

PlayNando
12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
The wanker posts empty stats on losing teams, tbh.

spurraider21
12-27-2013, 01:44 PM
didn't we draft denmon, mcclinton, who were also high scoring midget guards?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-27-2013, 01:45 PM
He was in my college's conference. He played on a shitty team and that's why he scored so much. Never understood why people wanted him as much as they do. The team he played on was the worse in the ACC (Virginia Tech)

T Park
12-27-2013, 02:33 PM
The only recent draft mistake is Corey Joseph over Chandler Parasons. That's about it.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 02:56 PM
The only recent draft mistake is Corey Joseph over Chandler Parasons. That's about it.

Spurs have a history of making draft night mistakes, way too many small guards or projects or euros that we won't see for 5 years.

exstatic
12-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Spurs have a history of making draft night mistakes, way too many small guards or projects or euros that we won't see for 5 years.

You can never really make a mistake at 28-30, only have some reaches that work out really well. Only half of ALL first round picks are in the league after their rookie deals, so drafting at the end if the round, our hit rate is phenomenal.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Spurs have a history of making draft night mistakeslol

The Spurs pretty much have to be considered TheGoldStandard of drafting teams in the last decade tbh.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 03:51 PM
You can never really make a mistake at 28-30, only have some reaches that work out really well. Only half of ALL first round picks are in the league after their rookie deals, so drafting at the end if the round, our hit rate is phenomenal.

The Spurs are supposed to have great scouts, a good international eye. I can understand not drafting Reshard Lewis but micheal Redd or trading salmons. Not creating money for scola, marc gasol, haslem, Amir Johnson, David lee.

exstatic
12-27-2013, 03:56 PM
The Spurs are supposed to have great scouts, a good international eye. I can understand not drafting Reshard Lewis but micheal Redd or trading salmons. Not creating money for scola, marc gasol, haslem, Amir Johnson, David lee.

We're a small market, and you need to REALLY understand what that means. When TD is pulling $25M there will be no Scola or Salmons,ever. Blaming the FO for that is stupid. They have a budget just like any other department in any other company.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 04:00 PM
We're a small market, and you need to REALLY understand what that means. When TD is pulling $25M there will be no Scola or Salmons,ever. Blaming the FO for that is stupid. They have a budget just like any other department in any other company.

It's the draft, not like they were free agents commanding top dollar. You draft for a need not to stash them overseas and never see them do contribute

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Who has drafted better than the Spurs the past decade+?

Compare their picks to any other team's. You'll be impressed.

exstatic
12-27-2013, 04:08 PM
It's the draft, not like they were free agents commanding top dollar. You draft for a need not to stash them overseas and never see them do contribute

Scola was a second rounder, and could demand anything he could get in Europe. There is no second round scale. He also was signed to a ten year deal at age 16 by his father with a prohibitive buyout. That is why a a Euroleague standout is available with pick #56 in the draft.

rascal
12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
The spurs don't draft athleticism.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Who has drafted better than the Spurs the past decade+?

Compare their picks to any other team's. You'll be impressed.Anything yet?

jimbo
12-27-2013, 05:28 PM
lol

The Spurs pretty much have to be considered TheGoldStandard of drafting teams in the last decade tbh.

The Thunder, without question

Beno, Mahimi, Tiago, Hill, Blair, Anderson, Kawhi, Cojo

Relevant picks in the last decade for the Spurs. That list ain't ballin.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Relevant picks in the last decade for the Spurs. That list ain't ballin.Post all the picks for both teams the past ten years.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Anything yet?

5 picks in 16 seasons have been good picks. Manu and Parker were relatively lucky considering their euro background. Kawhi was a great pick but outside of Manu and Parker these great draft picks haven't amounted to a significant cog to winning a championship.

My point is that there have been players who have had some rope to judge if they would be useful to the spurs and fill a need and yet they draft, stash and the majority never play one second for the spurs.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:39 PM
5 picks in 16 seasons have been good picks.Compare their picks to other teams over the past ten years.

Go ahead.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Post all the picks for both teams the past ten years.

I posted the relevant ones for the Spurs, you can go ahead and throw Livio on there too though. I don't care about picks that we never got if you're trying to hint at that. I think it would edge it to the Thunder regardless. Bledsoe > Dragic.

I'll do the same for the Thunder/Sonics.

Sonics
Collison, Ridinour, Swift (lol lol lol), Petro, Sene, Durant, Westbrook

Thunder
Ibaka, Harden, Reggie Jackson, Perry Jones III, Adams (The NZ guy)

They drafted just as many irrelevant bigs, but hit big time everywhere else tbh.

DesignatedT
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Relevant picks in the last decade for the Spurs. That list ain't ballin.

OKC has definitely drafted well but they have had some high draft spots compared to the Spurs. Reggie Jackson and Ibaka at #24 are nice picks but still 4 or 5 spots higher than where the Spurs usually pick.

Westbrook and Harden were both top 4 picks and Adams was picked #12 and Bledsoe #18. All lottery selections.

The last time they picked in "Spurs territory" they took Perry Jones at 28 who has been underwhelming thus far. The last time the Spurs had a "lottery pick" they chose Leonard. The Spurs haven't had the draft positions OKC has had to play with.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I posted the relevant ones for the Spurs, you can go ahead and throw Livio on there too though. I don't care about picks that we never got if you're trying to hint at that.So you just want to cherry pick.

OK.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 05:42 PM
So you just want to cherry pick.

OK.

Who cares about the irrelevant picks? Do you?

jimbo
12-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Out of all those Spurs picks, one of those was below pick #26 and that was Anderson at 20. The rest were very high draft picks.

OKC has definitely drafted well but they have had some high draft spots compared to the Spurs. Reggie Jackson and Ibaka at #24 are nice picks but still 4 or 5 spots higher than where the Spurs usually pick.

Westbrook and Harden were both top 4 picks and Adams was picked #12 and Bledsoe #18. All lottery selections.

The last time they picked in "Spurs territory" they took Perry Jones at 28 who has been underwhelming thus far.

Spurs territory has been a little higher than 28th...when the spurs had the 29th they got Cojo. I mean Reggie Jackson and Ibaka weren't high picks and they turned out well. (both 24th overall) That was around where Hill went. (26th)

They hit on every single lottery pick they had after Durant. That has to be #1.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Who cares about the irrelevant picks? Do you?Nobody knows they are "irrelevant" when they are made, so if you are judging how a team has drafted on the whole, you have to look at all their picks.

Again, if you just want to cherry pick to declare a winner, I'll say Cleveland did the best job of drafting in the past ten years since they picked Lebron.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Spurs territory has been a little higher than 28th...when the spurs had the 29th they got Cojo. I mean Reggie Jackson and Ibaka weren't high picks and they turned out well. (both 24th overall) That was around where Hill went. (26th)

They hit on every single lottery pick they had after Durant. That has to be #1.Wow, they hit on lottery picks!

Amazing!

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 05:50 PM
The Spurs hit on every single lottery pick they had after Sean Elliott. That has to be #1.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Nobody knows they are "irrelevant" when they are made, so if you are judging how a team has drafted on the whole, you have to look at all their picks.

Again, if you just want to cherry pick to declare a winner, I'll say Cleveland did the best job of drafting in the past ten years since they picked Lebron.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html

Here you go. You add Dragic and Nando De Colo to the list. But take away Kawhi because the Spurs didn't draft him.

Is this list supposed to impress me? :lmao Haven't hit on a pick since George Hill.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html

Here you go. You add Dragic and Nando De Colo to the list. But take away Kawhi because the Spurs didn't draft him.

Is this list supposed to impress me? :lmao Haven't hit on a pick since George Hill.i said compare then to all the other teams the past ten years.

Considering draft position and all the playoff runs, it's better than any other team I have seen. Feel free find a better record.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:04 PM
i said compare then to all the other teams the past ten years.

Considering draft position and all the playoff runs, it's better than any other team I have seen. Feel free find a better record.

I just did compare them to the Thunder and it ain't even close. The Thunder won hands down. Their drafting > the Cavs even with Lebron in there.

I don't respect these chickenshit qualifiers :cry Spurs have no good picks, but we're still the best :cry

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
I just did compare them to the Thunder and it ain't even close.Then list all the picks and let us compare.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Then list all the picks and let us compare.

I just did compare them to the Thunder and it ain't even close. The Thunder won hands down. Their drafting > the Cavs even with Lebron in there.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I just did compare them to the Thunder and it ain't even close. The Thunder won hands down. Their drafting > the Cavs even with Lebron in there.Then list the picks and let us compare.

Year, name, draft number.

Easy enough.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Then list the picks and let us compare.

Year, name, draft number.

Easy enough.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/draft.html

There you go. And it was easy to see how studly the Thunder have been tbh.

The Spurs are the ugly dude who brags about getting a 6/10 because he outkicked his coverage. The Thunder are just flat out banging Victoria Secrets models, no qualifiers attached.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/draft.html

There you go. And it was easy to see how studly the Thunder have been tbh.

The Spurs are the ugly dude who brags about getting a 6/10 because he outkicked his coverage. The Thunder are just flat out banging Victoria Secrets models, no qualifiers attached.You didn't list them.

You can't whine about qualifiers when all you do is cherry pick lottery players.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 06:22 PM
2013: Thomas will probably never play as a Spur / Livio might in about 4 seasons.
2012: Marcus Denmon will never play for the Spurs
2011: Hanga keeps getting older and has been injured past few seasons in Europe, maybe see him in a season or two
2011: Cory Joseph is currently on our Roster but hasn't shown vast improvement.
2010: Ryan Richards will never play as a Spur
2010: James Anderson showed potential but given how much depth we had a SG made no sense to keep him around
2009: De Colo, I think thats all that needs to be said
2009: James McClinton, another useless SG
2009: DeJuan Blair, experiment who didn't pan out
2008: James Gist, who?
2008: Goran Dragic, A PG who we needed but traded away for Malik Hairston and essentially DeJuan Blair. Having success with Phoenix
2008: George Hill was a great pick up at the time, filled a need and gave us Kawhi Leonard.. Successful draft pick
2007: Giorgos Printezis, yeah I have no idea who this guy is either
2007: Marcus Williams, Uh Marc Gasol was still on the draft board.
2007: Tiago Splitter... I hate the guy but still a decent pick
2006: Damir Markota
2005: Ian Mahinmi, David Lee, Brandon Bass, Ilyasova, Monta Ellis, Andray Blatche & Amir Johnson were still on the board
2004: Sergei Karaulov
2004: Romain Sato
2004: Beno Udrih
2003: Leandro Barbosa

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:25 PM
2013: Thomas will probably never play as a Spur / Livio might in about 4 seasons.
2012: Marcus Denmon will never play for the Spurs
2011: Hanga keeps getting older and has been injured past few seasons in Europe, maybe see him in a season or two
2011: Cory Joseph is currently on our Roster but hasn't shown vast improvement.
2010: Ryan Richards will never play as a Spur
2010: James Anderson showed potential but given how much depth we had a SG made no sense to keep him around
2009: De Colo, I think thats all that needs to be said
2009: James McClinton, another useless SG
2009: DeJuan Blair, experiment who didn't pan out
2008: James Gist, who?
2008: Goran Dragic, A PG who we needed but traded away for Malik Hairston and essentially DeJuan Blair. Having success with Phoenix
2008: George Hill was a great pick up at the time, filled a need and gave us Kawhi Leonard.. Successful draft pick
2007: Giorgos Printezis, yeah I have no idea who this guy is either
2007: Marcus Williams, Uh Marc Gasol was still on the draft board.
2007: Tiago Splitter... I hate the guy but still a decent pick
2006: Damir Markota
2005: Ian Mahinmi, David Lee, Brandon Bass, Ilyasova, Monta Ellis, Andray Blatche & Amir Johnson were still on the board
2004: Sergei Karaulov
2004: Romain Sato
2004: Beno Udrih
2003: Leandro BarbosaYear, name, draft position.

Then compare with other teams over the same ten years.

You guys are terrible at following directions.

lol Monday morning GMs

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:32 PM
You didn't list them.

You can't whine about qualifiers when all you do is cherry pick lottery players.

You can click a link, can't you Chump?

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:38 PM
You can click a link, can't you Chump?Did that well before you did.

You can make a list, can't you?

T Park
12-27-2013, 06:40 PM

You can't be fucking serious....

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Did that well before you did.

You can make a list, can't you?

I can't. It's beneath me.

You don't need to pop the hood open on a Ferrari to tell that it's better than a Civic.

T Park
12-27-2013, 06:41 PM
The spurs don't draft athleticism.

Kawhi Leonard says hello fuckwagon

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I can't.So you are too stupid or afraid.

OK. I'll take the default win. No problem.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
You can't be fucking serious....

Within the last decade it's true. Parker/Manu/Scola haven't been drafted in a loonnnngg time.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Kawhi Leonard says hello fuckwagon

Indiana drafted him, then we traded George Hill for him.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:44 PM
So you are too stupid or afraid.

OK. I'll take the default win. No problem.

You and the Spurs can celebrate your Special Olympics victory while me and Durant are in Brazil.

T Park
12-27-2013, 06:45 PM
I can't. It's beneath me.

You don't need to pop the hood open on a Ferrari to tell that it's better than a Civic.

In other words I'm being captain contrarion in mom's basement and won't.

TheGoldStandard
Within the last decade it's true. Parker/Manu/Scola haven't been drafted in a loonnnngg time.

Scola was 2002, Manu 1999 and parker 2001.

T Park

Prearranged deal genius.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:46 PM
In other words I'm being captain contrarion in mom's basement and won't.

I've already posted a list of the relevant players the Spurs have drafted. I've got no need to "win" arguments against anyone online.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Indiana drafted him, then we traded George Hill for him.So the Spurs traded for a pick they wanted. Wow.

You and the Spurs can celebrate your Special Olympics victory while me and Durant are in Brazil.What would Durant want to do with you in Brazil?

lol rich fantasy life

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:47 PM
I've already posted a list of the players I cherry picked.Yep.

lol Brazil

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
So the Spurs traded for a pick they wanted. Wow.

What would Durant want to do with you in Brazil?

lol rich fantasy life

I wrote it that way so my sentence structure wasn't so repetitive. I compared your e-win/the Spurs' victories in the bottom of the draft to the Special Olympics (because who cares?), while I compared the Thunder's premium wins to the actual Olympics.

Get it?

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I wrote it that way so my sentence structure wasn't so repetitive. I compared your e-win/the Spurs' victories in the bottom of the draft to the Special Olympics (because who cares?), while I compared the Thunder's premium wins to the actual Olympics.

Get it?I get that you will do anything to avoid listing the picks as requested.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 06:59 PM
I get that you will do anything to avoid listing the picks as requested.

I've already given you the win Chump.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 07:00 PM
I've already given you the win Chump.Which makes your continued stalling even more entertaining.

jimbo
12-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Which makes your continued stalling even more entertaining.

I'm tanking for a lotto pick. There's no stalling, only losing.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm tanking for a lotto pick. There's no stalling, only losing.Can't argue with your losing.

elmanutres
12-27-2013, 07:13 PM
man first paul george, now this guy. :depressed

mute
12-27-2013, 07:43 PM
For the two dudes arguing regarding SAS v. OKC draft picks over the past 10 years, it's obviously OKC > SAS... Durant, Westbook, Ibaka, Green, Harden...cmon now, but when you consider that the Thunder pick in the top 10 because they've sucked, it really isn't much of a comparison/i.e. unfair comparison to begin with.

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 07:51 PM
For the two dudes arguing regarding SAS v. OKC draft picks over the past 10 years, it's obviously OKC > SAS... Durant, Westbook, Ibaka, Green, Harden...cmon now, but when you consider that the Thunder pick in the top 10 because they've sucked, it really isn't much of a comparison/i.e. unfair comparison to begin with.

The arguement was the Spurs have been the gold standard in the draft but when pointing out how most of their picks didn't pan out or were moved to other teams the only defense was to look at where they were drafting. Can't have it both ways, either they drafted great or they just picked whoever was left.

There have been long stretches of draft picks that didn't make sense, tons of short combo guards and euros who we may never see and not enough tape to know if they would be worth while. Lots of standing pat, not a lot of trying to move up in the draft to secure better players outside of Kawhi which was smart. I'll concede that but in hindsight there have been a handful of picks that were flat out silly when there were better options and were team needs.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 09:28 PM
The arguement was the Spurs have been the gold standard in the draft but when pointing out how most of their picks didn't pan out or were moved to other teams the only defense was to look at where they were drafting. Can't have it both ways, either they drafted great or they just picked whoever was left. They drafted great.

Kyuui-Musikq
12-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Idk that Indiana would of drafted him without the Spurs consent. It's hard to imagine that wasn't by design.

exstatic
12-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Idk that Indiana would of drafted him without the Spurs consent. It's hard to imagine that wasn't by design.

Exactly. There's this little rule that you can't trade your first rounder in consecutive drafts. The loophole is that you can have a team interested in your pick, agree on the particulars of the trade, and then you draft the player FOR them, and then trade the player, not the pick. Most, if not all draft night trades go down like this.

Chinook
12-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Exactly. There's this little rule that you can't trade your first rounder in consecutive drafts. The loophole is that you can have a team interested in your pick, agree on the particulars of the trade, and then you draft the player FOR them, and then trade the player, not the pick. Most, if not all draft night trades go down like this.

Right idea, wrong rule. The rule is that teams can't trade picks on draft day (actually after a certain point the day before). They have to make the pick themselves. That rule does allow for the loophole you've stated, but in fact EVERY draft-night trade must happen this way, not just ones that need the loophole.

jimbo
12-28-2013, 04:14 PM

I think everyone gets this. The only reason why I was saying he didn't count is because the other guy was trying to claim players like Dragic (instead of Malik) and Barbosa in addition to Kawhi. Double dipping.

Kidd K
12-29-2013, 02:47 AM
You can't seriously go through the draft's history and act like any time a player was taken with a pick after the one the Spurs picked was a terrible pick if one of the dudes later panned out to be a better player.

If the Spurs pick at 28, that's 32 chances someone's going to pan out better. It doesn't mean anything if it happens every now and then. No team is always going to be super clairvoyant and always take the maximum possible guy. If you get anywhere close to that so late in the draft, it's a success. Plus normally teams getting such late picks are just picking what they need most, not who the best available dude is.