PDA

View Full Version : Are the Spurs utilizing more interior passing this year?

Dex
12-27-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm genuinely asking this question, because I feel like I personally have noticed a lot more passing in the paint this season than in recent years passed with this offense.

It seems like Tim, Tiago, and Boris in particular have been working the high-low more than usual, and there has also been a rise in bounce passes and wrap-arounds passed, both among bigs and to cutters (particularly thanks to the constant motion of Leonard, Manu, Beli, and Mills).

Is this something that Pop is emphasizing in the offense this season? If anybody can find any stats to support or debunk this, I'd be glad to see them tbh.

Dex
12-27-2013, 03:03 PM
According to http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game, Spurs are currently 4th for NBA Team Points in the Paint at 47.5 for the 2013-2014 season. They were ranked 6th at 44.2 for the 2012-2013 season.

Considering that a lot of the sources for last season's paint scoring (i.e. Parker and Duncan surging, Duncan and Splitter tandem working) are MIA so far this season, I'd be apt to believe this supports this theory...but that's the best that I can find.

ace3g
12-27-2013, 03:43 PM
I think in the playoffs that will go up even more when they post up Kawhi.

monkeypunk
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
They're maximizing easy buckets now that they have the personnel to complete them.

Makes perfect sense.

ElNono
12-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Boris is a great passer and he has been more aggressive too. I think it's all part of that, IMO