PDA

View Full Version : Spurs interested in Deng.

Jordanobili2320
12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/231251/Sources-Luol-Deng-Receiving-Interest-From-Cavaliers-Mavericks-Lakers-Raptors-Spurs-Grizzlies-Nets

:whine

Jordanobili2320
12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Luol Deng is already receiving interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets among others, according to sources.
The Bulls have reportedly decided they will try to re-sign Deng in free agency.
“I’ve moved around a lot, but this is the longest I’ve been in one place my whole life and I came here at 19," Deng said. "I’m 28 now. I pretty much grew up here. So for me to think about being somewhere else, it’s a weird feeling. But at the same time, I don’t know what it’s like to be somewhere else. I’ve been here my whole career. Maybe it’s better, maybe it’s not. I don’t know that. The best thing I can do is play, be the best I can be and hope it works out. I don’t know if it will be here, if it will be somewhere else. I don’t know that.
"But right now, I can’t hang on to that. I can’t control that. I think when the season’s over and everything is done, then you sit down and you go through that stuff. But for me to think about it now, it’s just a waste of energy because I don’t even know — what am I supposed to think about? I don’t know what city. So it’s just a waste of time.”

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Chicago will low ball him but Deng doesn't seem like he's chasing money, he probably stays with them.

marbles1991
12-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Leonard is already better than Deng though, why would we want him.

RD2191
12-27-2013, 07:21 PM

ChumpDumper
12-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Who says we would play him at SF?

Mal
12-27-2013, 07:28 PM
The old Spurs are intrested manuver ?

RD2191
12-27-2013, 07:31 PM
:loltbh

r0drig0lac
12-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Who says we would play him at SF?
exactly, people do not understand

jon123spurs
12-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Another wing defender to throw at lebron. Hell sign me up.

exstatic
12-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Chicago will low ball him but Deng doesn't seem like he's chasing money, he probably stays with them.

They've already low balled him on the extension and he didn't sign. Why do you think he would play unprotected this year and THEN sign for cheap? Not happening. Many teams have FA money for next summer, and only a few will hit their targets. The rest will spend on Deng type FAs and none of them will turn down the money.

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Spurs are reported to be interested in every player on the market, tbh..

Whenever a big-name player is on the block, ESPN or whichever source virtually always lists the Spurs as a potential suitor, it's rarely true:lol..

ElNono
12-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Spurs are reported to be interested in every player on the market, tbh..

Whenever a big-name player is on the block, ESPN or whichever source virtually always lists the Spurs as a potential suitor, it's rarely true:lol..

this. Also, the few Chicago games I've watched, Deng wasn't that great.

HarlemHeat37
12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
The current version of Deng is equivalent to Kawhi with less athleticism, tbh..

He's shooting 28% from 3 this year, his shot is broken, which is the same problem as Leonard's..with the Spurs, he would be asked to play the same role as Kawhi, tbh..

timmy2003
12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
He is able to provide length and defense.

AFBlue
12-27-2013, 11:21 PM
Spurs are currently lacking a Brit on their roster, so I'm sure they're in active pursuit tbqh.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Meh. He'll probably stay with Chicago.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 12:09 AM
I just looked at the Chicago Salary, that has to be one of the most retarded FO's

cd98
12-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Agreed. Any trade rumor regarding Spurs and a foreigner is legit. I'm certain Chicago will want to part ways with Deng for DeColo, Joseph, and Ayers/Bonner.

on a serious note, a small ball line up with Leonard at the three and Deng at the 4 would be interesting. Spurs were interested in Kirilenko who would play a similar role.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Agreed. Any trade rumor regarding Spurs and a foreigner is legit. I'm certain Chicago will want to part ways with Deng for DeColo, Joseph, and Ayers/Bonner.

on a serious note, a small ball line up with Leonard at the three and Deng at the 4 would be interesting. Spurs were interested in Kirilenko who would play a similar role.

Spurs will be on the hook for 52 Mil in salary next season, doubt we could throw enough money his way.

Brunodf
12-28-2013, 02:17 AM

Yeah, all we need is a stretch 4 that can't stretch the floor :rolleyes

timtonymanu
12-28-2013, 02:19 AM
They won't get him.

Biernutz
12-28-2013, 02:30 AM
If the Bulls wont sign Deng now they are looking to rebuild. I bet he is gone before the trade
deadline. Sign and trade..... who knows when and in what condition Derrick Rose will
be in now. After ACL's on the left and right, Derrick will probably be an average player
and not a superstar he was. Chicago fire sale.............

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 02:31 AM
The Spurs have their eye on another 3rd string bench scrub they can overpay.

Dverde
12-28-2013, 02:31 AM
FO would only be interested if he was a free agent and Leonard wanted too much money.

phxspurfan
12-28-2013, 02:46 AM
If the Bulls wont sign Deng now they are looking to rebuild. I bet he is gone before the trade
deadline. Sign and trade..... who knows when and in what condition Derrick Rose will
be in now. After ACL's on the left and right, Derrick will probably be an average player
and not a superstar he was. Chicago fire sale.............

ACLs are a bilateral injury. Rose will likely be just as good if not better when he comes back. That is, if they give him enough time to recover fully.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 02:51 AM
ACLs are a bilateral injury. Rose will likely be just as good if not better when he comes back. That is, if they give him enough time to recover fully.

I don't think he'll be the same for a while mentally plus the team is financially in a hole and they need relief in order to get players around him that are worth while.

Sean Cagney
12-28-2013, 03:05 AM

Per par and every year on alot of players. No doubt.

Baam
12-28-2013, 03:46 AM
It's kind of hard to believe because a trade or via free agency they're gonna be really limited asset wise and cap wise...

The only way it'd make sense in the first place is if they gave up on Kawhi or want him to be a full time PF...

I'm not sure Kawhi can be the PF tho, he's too light in too many matchups, even Pop sees that thus he starts Diaw on guys like Carmelo...

So the other explanation is that maybe Kawhi is not progressing as they were hoping thus they need to trade asap before they have to pay him.

If it's the case Chicago is a good trade partner, they have great picks and a great stashed player in Mirotic... BUT Deng still doesn't make much sense with his lack of range and Boozer is a way better target for us as we need someone who can score in the post in the second unit...

Something like :
Splitter + Kiwi + Bonner for Boozer + Butler + picks + one of Snell or Mirotic

Could be good for us...

r0drig0lac
12-28-2013, 07:23 AM
lol assuming the Spurs FO trading kawhi

exstatic
12-28-2013, 07:52 AM
It's kind of hard to believe because a trade or via free agency they're gonna be really limited asset wise and cap wise...

The only way it'd make sense in the first place is if they gave up on Kawhi or want him to be a full time PF...

I'm not sure Kawhi can be the PF tho, he's too light in too many matchups, even Pop sees that thus he starts Diaw on guys like Carmelo...

So the other explanation is that maybe Kawhi is not progressing as they were hoping thus they need to trade asap before they have to pay him.

If it's the case Chicago is a good trade partner, they have great picks and a great stashed player in Mirotic... BUT Deng still doesn't make much sense with his lack of range and Boozer is a way better target for us as we need someone who can score in the post in the second unit...

Something like :
Splitter + Kiwi + Bonner for Boozer + Butler + picks + one of Snell or Mirotic

Could be good for us...

Boozer fucking sucks. He's old, a black hole on offense, and plays about half the defense that Bonner does. The Spurs would be going back down that "offense only" dark path that got them first round outs in 2011 and 2009.

You wouldn't have to play Kawhi full time at PF. Deng is bigger and better suited to the role.

Baam
12-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Boozer fucking sucks. He's old, a black hole on offense, and plays about half the defense that Bonner does. The Spurs would be going back down that "offense only" dark path that got them first round outs in 2011 and 2009.

You wouldn't have to play Kawhi full time at PF. Deng is bigger and better suited to the role.

Boozer may suck but he's still way better than Ayres... At the moment the only reliable post scoring option is Diaw, that's not enough... Especially against OKc shot blockers that need to be pushed around to create openings...

Sure Amir Johnson would be even better but the asking price wouldn't be the same... Also it's funny how you talk about defense when the M&Ms + Mills is already extremely weak defensively and pure regular season fapping material, at least post scoring is PO proof...

Baam
12-28-2013, 08:29 AM
lol assuming the Spurs FO trading kawhi

Why wouldn't they? Because Pop the senile old man said he was the future? The future looks like first round exits then...

They will have to pay him soon, if they have doubts then they should trade him him while it's time and he's still a blue chip.

r0drig0lac
12-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Why wouldn't they? Because Pop the senile old man said he was the future? The future looks like first round exits then...

They will have to pay him soon, if they have doubts then they should trade him him while it's time and he's still a blue chip.
I understand you face, so that my or your opinion does not matter, but the front office

Chillen
12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
I just looked at the Chicago Salary, that has to be one of the most retarded FO's

Don't remind me, we could have traded for Melo years ago but it didn't happen. I really have no idea what the front office is doing this team isn't going to win any NBA titles anytime soon. We could have made the ECF with a healthy Drose but that's it imo. I wish the Bulls FO was as smart as the Spurs, btw the Boozer signing was pointless. Noah isn't going to flip the switch and become a smart Tim Duncan like player anytime soon either, he's just a great energy guy, rebounder, low post scorer, good passer. Rose needs a better roster and help to win an NBA title when he gets healthy again. Butler is worth it and so is Taj but I hope they shake this roster up with a trade. Deng is worth resigning if he would do it for less money, but anyhow like I said don't remind me about the Bulls FO.

exstatic
12-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Boozer may suck but he's still way better than Ayres... At the moment the only reliable post scoring option is Diaw, that's not enough... Especially against OKc shot blockers that need to be pushed around to create openings...

Sure Amir Johnson would be even better but the asking price wouldn't be the same... Also it's funny how you talk about defense when the M&Ms + Mills is already extremely weak defensively and pure regular season fapping material, at least post scoring is PO proof...
So what? You're not trading Ayres for him, you're trading Tiago.

You keep whining about this bad defender or that bad defender, all the while advocating trading our second best interior defender and our very best perimeter defender. It makes no sense.

szkorhetz
12-28-2013, 08:56 AM

Deng is MUCH better than Leonard, TBH.

Baam
12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
So what? You're not trading Ayres for him, you're trading Tiago.

You keep whining about this bad defender or that bad defender, all the while advocating trading our second best interior defender and our very best perimeter defender. It makes no sense.

Tiago can't play in most POs series that matter (Rockets, heat, okc) so we wouldn't be losing much unless the main goal is another regular season title...

TD21 is right, Tiago is the rotation player with the lesser POs contributions and the less likely to have future significant contributions at least past the WCSF thus he should the first one on the trading block.

If Bonner + Splitter gets us something better than Boozer + Snell it's awesome but I'm not sure I see it.

Cklbmk
12-28-2013, 11:51 AM

What about a big line up of Kawhi at the 2 Deng at the 3 Duncan at the 4 andSplitter at the 5

exstatic
12-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Tiago can't play in most POs series that matter (Rockets, heat, okc) so we wouldn't be losing much unless the main goal is another regular season title...

TD21 is right, Tiago is the rotation player with the lesser POs contributions and the less likely to have future significant contributions at least past the WCSF thus he should the first one on the trading block.

If Bonner + Splitter gets us something better than Boozer + Snell it's awesome but I'm not sure I see it.

:lol Boozer can't play against any of those playoff teams, either. At least Tiago can spell Duncan as the paint protector. Boozer is a fucking turnstile on D.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Boozer sucks and his contract is a joke, the Chicago FO is stupid, they traded Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, gave boozer crazy money, over paid role players and then work their players to a nub with 48 minutes a night

I like Deng but Chicago overpaid him and he will look for the same or stay to play with D Rose, Taj Gibson would be nice to get.

I wouldnt mind Chandler either

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Boozer sucks and his contract is a joke, the Chicago FO is stupid, they traded Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, gave boozer crazy money, over paid role players and then work their players to a nub with 48 minutes a night

I like Deng but Chicago overpaid him and he will look for the same or stay to play with D Rose, Taj Gibson would be nice to get.

I wouldnt mind Chandler either

Apples to Apples, Id rather have Joakim Noah then Splitter.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Apples to Apples, Id rather have Joakim Noah then Splitter.

Noah has more talent, I agree

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 01:52 PM
and the grit and tenacity...it would love to see that guy paired with Duncan.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 01:56 PM
and the grit and tenacity...it would love to see that guy paired with Duncan.

I hate that sweeping hook shot by Tiago

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I hate that sweeping hook shot by Tiago

Its the worst. I don't think there was ever a period where he hit that shot consistently in game, yet he always reverts to that shot.

I guess in practice he probably hits the shot all the time, but if he's not hitting his go to move in game, idk. He just bewilders me

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Its the worst. I don't think there was ever a period where he hit that shot consistently in game, yet he always reverts to that shot.

I guess in practice he probably hits the shot all the time, but if he's not hitting his go to move in game, idk. He just bewilders me

Most bigs learn how to use their other hand and spin baseline for a hook to create space. He's never learned that

sammy
12-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Pass! I haven't been that impressed w/Deng!

sammy
12-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Cavs are releasing Andrew Bynum! What do you guys think?

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Most bigs learn how to use their other hand and spin baseline for a hook to create space. He's never learned that

Right. Pretty much any successful scoring center in this league has those a hook with either hand in his repertoire

what upsets me the most about him is that regardless of how he plays, he's always wearing that slight smirk on that face of his and I can never really tell what the hell he thinks of himself or the game or anything.

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 04:46 PM
There are too many other teams that'll want him around the league in more attractive cities.

I don't get the feeling from him that he he cares more about starting and getting a hefty contract after a solid season as much as he cares about just being a contributor on a team like the clippers, knicks and heat because he's already got his

and as long as he puts up 10 and 6 in 20 minutes or so a legit team, he'll still get 5 million or so on the market nxt year

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Right. Pretty much any successful center in this league has those a hook with both hands in his repertoire

what upsets me the most about him is that regardless of how he plays, he's always wearing that slight smirk on that face of his and I can never really tell what the hell he thinks of himself or the game or anything.

Last year it was, I'm better than Bonner and this year it's I'm better than Ayres. Fool doesn't have to get better with Ayres just sucking dong to stay on the team

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Last year it was, I'm better than Bonner and this year it's I'm better than Ayres. Fool doesn't have to get better with Ayres just sucking dong to stay on the team

Its horrendous. and his weak shit at the rim gives us the perception that we're all weak. I really hope Baynes realizes his potential and turns out to be every bit of the good he teases us with, when he's on.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Its horrendous. and his weak shit at the rim gives us the perception that we're all weak. I really hope Baynes realizes his potential and turns out to be every bit of the good he teases us with, when he's on.

Baynes won't be resigned, it doesn't make sense if he were

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Baynes won't be resigned, it doesn't make sense if he were

If you mean number wise, we'd have to make moves come January with our bigs and I sincerely hope we do. Baynes still has unfulfilled potential, I think, and I think the opportunities he gets once given he completely gets the system ( I say that because whenever he's in game he's still being directed by players and asking questions), he can be a legit big for us.

BigFun21
12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
We should just sign Bruce Bowen out of retirement.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
If you mean number wise, we'd have to make moves come January with our bigs and I sincerely hope we do. Baynes still has unfulfilled potential, I think, and I think the opportunities he gets once given he completely gets the system ( I say that because whenever he's in game he's still being directed by players and asking questions), he can be a legit big for us.

Jeff Ayres came in a usurped minutes and Ayres doesn't get the system. Baynes won't be signed and they won't trade, very UN spur like moves should he made tho.

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Jeff Ayres came in a usurped minutes and Ayres doesn't get the system. Baynes won't be signed and they won't trade, very UN spur like moves should he made tho.

Well one can only hope, as ever year.

exstatic
12-28-2013, 06:12 PM
There are too many other teams that'll want him around the league in more attractive cities.

I don't get the feeling from him that he he cares more about starting and getting a hefty contract after a solid season as much as he cares about just being a contributor on a team like the clippers, knicks and heat because he's already got his

and as long as he puts up 10 and 6 in 20 minutes or so a legit team, he'll still get 5 million or so on the market nxt year

He'll pull a LOT more than five mil on the open market. He's a two time All Star who will just have turned 29 at the end of the season. He won't get what he's getting now, but he'll probably get ten mil per season. There will be a lot of teams with money this summer. It's the summer of LeBron.

Brutalis
12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Since when did ST allow nudity on the main forum eh?

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 06:28 PM
He'll pull a LOT more than five mil on the open market. He's a two time All Star who will just have turned 29 at the end of the season. He won't get what he's getting now, but he'll probably get ten mil per season. There will be a lot of teams with money this summer. It's the summer of LeBron.

Barring he stays healthy and plays well, yeah your right.

On second thought, when put into that context, even if injured he could still get money close to ten mil.

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Barring he stays healthy and plays well, yeah your right.

On second thought, when put into that context, even if injured he could still get money close to ten mil.

In the right situation he could be an All Star again, he plays way too many minutes under Thibs.

Budkin
12-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I heard the Spurs were interested.

RD2191
12-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I heard the Spurs were interested.
:wakeup

crc21209
12-29-2013, 01:00 AM
He needs to get out of Chicago thats for sure. Sinking ship there..

heyheymymy
12-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Go Spurs Go, but I don't think Deng is the way, tbh.

Fireball
12-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Just what we need ... more good players going West

99 Problems
12-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Could the possibility of playing with Tim be enough for Bynum to be interested in a talk with the Spurs?

exstatic
12-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Could the possibility of playing with Tim be enough for Bynum to be interested in a talk with the Spurs?

Spurs likely wouldn't be interested. You do know what's going on, right? He just wants the money. He's never been interested in basketball, just the cash. Now that he's got bad knees, he's even less interested. That's why the Cavs suspended him indefinitely. He's publicly talked about throwing in the towel, just quitting. Definitely not Spurs material.

BigFun21
12-29-2013, 09:02 AM
When I think of a Spurs Choir Boy, my first thought is not of Andrew Bynum. No thanks.

-21-
12-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Bynum doesn't like playing basketball. Changing the players around him won't change that.

TXstbobcat
12-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Spurs won't show interest in Bynum's glass knees.

Baam
12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Spurs won't show interest in Bynum's glass knees.

Off the bench he'd be an interesting mismatch in the low post but the locker room problems are sure to scare the FO when they just went throught the SJax situation last year...

spurs10
12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Spurs won't show interest in Bynum's glass knees. Nobody wants a player who would prefer being on the bench to being on the court. :toast

$pursDynasty
12-29-2013, 05:25 PM
The Spurs are the NBA's stalking horse, ever free agent or free agent to be mentions the Spurs to drive up interest but they never choose the Spurs, besides that though The Spurs need a real big not a 3 or a two or even a pg, we need a quality 4 or 5.

Legacy
12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
In the right situation he could be an All Star again, he plays way too many minutes under Thibs.

Agreed. :tu

sventhedog
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
spurs also were interested in ayres, bonner, thomas, jefferson and our chihuahua.

look_at_g_shred
12-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Won't happen. Would rather have Greg Monroe.