PDA

View Full Version : State of the Spurs through 30 Games

SpurSwag
12-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, have been having a lot of things on my mind regarding the spurs lately and coincidentally last night's game against Dallas was game number 30 so it seemed like an appropriate time to make a threat. Here are some thoughts regarding our current team and where we stand:

1) Thank god Tim is getting it all back together. Though I never really had any doubts, it's still nice to see him getting it done after all these years at a supreme level. I still don't think his offense has gotten to the point it was last season, but hopefully that's just right around the corner. His rebounding and defense are looking very solid lately, so let's all just hope the offense is next.

2) Honestly, I only have 2 concerns about this team at this point. One of them is Tony Parker. I, for one, think it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest this team is better without the way Tony plays. It's absolutely laughable. Posters on here maintain that he breaks the system, but that system can't exist without an actual threat to score off the dribble. Parker is just that when healthy. My fear is he isn't healthy right now as made clear by the last couple of games (even though he scored a good amount last time, he clearly wasn't himself). Whether his latest injury is still holding him back or if the time spent with the FNT is finally catching up to him isn't clear, but he definitely doesn't look as quick or agile. This can lead to a couple of problems, as he could either a) keep limping around like this all season without the speed and explosion that made him a legit MVP candidate the last couple years or b) run himself into the ground, leading to a serious injury that takes him out for an extended period of time. I really think he needs to be given a week or 2 off just to get himself right, and with Westbrook out as well we would still be able to make up some ground in Tony' absence. I hope Pop sees what I am seeing too and decides to do rest him.

3) Manu looks fantastic. Plain and simple. He has struggled percentage wise a couple of times in the last 2-3 weeks, but his few struggles have been mostly poor percentages and not bad turnovers or looking unhealthy, which is great. Focusing on his great play, which has been frequent and needed, he has looked like a stud both from the perimeter and attacking. It's nice to see the spurs are getting him easier looks, as seemingly every game he's getting an inbound play straight to him leading to an easy lay in. If this Manu sticks around all year, we should be fine.

4) My only other concern about the team is the Danny / Marco situation. I personally don't like Marco starting and think him and Manu should handle the bench duties together. I just think that unit was doing so well, and while I agree that the change needed to be made because of how poorly Danny was playing, I think it should be reverted back. I think Pop feels this way too fortunately and will eventually bring Marco off the bench again. However, I'm starting to think this team needs to make a trade, as Danny just doesn't look like a player of any value if he isn't wide open beyond 3. I think it's become clear that we really need a scorer starting at his position, someone who can just get the ball and do something from it either from beyond the arc or attacking the rim. I'm struggling to come up with any good fits who would be available at the moment, but I'm sure you guys will have some ideas.

5) Still loving the bench, as Patty is proving to be a legit back up who can fill it up. Boris is still doing his thing, Ayres is still blowing dunks, pretty much everything has been just as expected from the bench.

6) I haven't lost hope in the team whatsoever, but it has been really frustrating seeing us lose all of these games against contenders. Its as if we all of a sudden forget to play defense against the elite teams and end up getting buried into huge deficits, with any comeback efforts always falling short. Hopefully Pop gets into his team a little bit and we see them play with more fire and passion instead of coming out like zombies.

Believe guys, as long as we get to the playoffs 100% I have no doubt this team can get it done. Trade or not, we should be fine come playoff time. I know all the players want it this time, and just looking at the record itself I'm not sure you can really be upset with 22-8.

Aremid
12-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Hey guys, have been having a lot of things on my mind regarding the spurs lately and coincidentally last night's game against Dallas was game number 30 so it seemed like an appropriate time to make a threat. Here are some thoughts regarding our current team and where we stand:

1) Thank god Tim is getting it all back together. Though I never really had any doubts, it's still nice to see him getting it done after all these years at a supreme level. I still don't think his offense has gotten to the point it was last season, but hopefully that's just right around the corner. His rebounding and defense are looking very solid lately, so let's all just hope the offense is next.

2) Honestly, I only have 2 concerns about this team at this point. One of them is Tony Parker. I, for one, think it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest this team is better without the way Tony plays. It's absolutely laughable. Posters on here maintain that he breaks the system, but that system can't exist without an actual threat to score off the dribble. Parker is just that when healthy. My fear is he isn't healthy right now as made clear by the last couple of games (even though he scored a good amount last time, he clearly wasn't himself). Whether his latest injury is still holding him back or if the time spent with the FNT is finally catching up to him isn't clear, but he definitely doesn't look as quick or agile. This can lead to a couple of problems, as he could either a) keep limping around like this all season without the speed and explosion that made him a legit MVP candidate the last couple years or b) run himself into the ground, leading to a serious injury that takes him out for an extended period of time. I really think he needs to be given a week or 2 off just to get himself right, and with Westbrook out as well we would still be able to make up some ground in Tony' absence. I hope Pop sees what I am seeing too and decides to do rest him.

3) Manu looks fantastic. Plain and simple. He has struggled percentage wise a couple of times in the last 2-3 weeks, but his few struggles have been mostly poor percentages and not bad turnovers or looking unhealthy, which is great. Focusing on his great play, which has been frequent and needed, he has looked like a stud both from the perimeter and attacking. It's nice to see the spurs are getting him easier looks, as seemingly every game he's getting an inbound play straight to him leading to an easy lay in. If this Manu sticks around all year, we should be fine.

4) My only other concern about the team is the Danny / Marco situation. I personally don't like Marco starting and think him and Manu should handle the bench duties together. I just think that unit was doing so well, and while I agree that the change needed to be made because of how poorly Danny was playing, I think it should be reverted back. I think Pop feels this way too fortunately and will eventually bring Marco off the bench again. However, I'm starting to think this team needs to make a trade, as Danny just doesn't look like a player of any value if he isn't wide open beyond 3. I think it's become clear that we really need a scorer starting at his position, someone who can just get the ball and do something from it either from beyond the arc or attacking the rim. I'm struggling to come up with any good fits who would be available at the moment, but I'm sure you guys will have some ideas.

5) Still loving the bench, as Patty is proving to be a legit back up who can fill it up. Boris is still doing his thing, Ayres is still blowing dunks, pretty much everything has been just as expected from the bench.

6) I haven't lost hope in the team whatsoever, but it has been really frustrating seeing us lose all of these games against contenders. Its as if we all of a sudden forget to play defense against the elite teams and end up getting buried into huge deficits, with any comeback efforts always falling short. Hopefully Pop gets into his team a little bit and we see them play with more fire and passion instead of coming out like zombies.

Believe guys, as long as we get to the playoffs 100% I have no doubt this team can get it done. Trade or not, we should be fine come playoff time. I know all the players want it this time, and just looking at the record itself I'm not sure you can really be upset with 22-8.

problem: our 100% can't beat okc, clips, rockets, Indy, or miami's 100%

Mikeanaro
12-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Well if you think the team is better with Parker keep laughing :lmao

TheGoldStandard
12-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Spurs would struggle without parker long term (+5 games)

Dex
12-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Championships are won and lost in June, not December. :wakeup

Good writeup!

SpurSwag
12-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Our 100% most definitely can beat any of those teams, it almost won a championship last year...

For us to win it this year, Tim and Tony need to be at the level they were at last year. That, along with a rejuvinated Manu, Marco, and Kawhi getting more minutes in the playoffs, would have me feeling as confident as possible

PlayNando
12-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Spurs would struggle without parker long term (+5 games)

We are undefeated without Parker. The facts don't lie, tbh.

Cry Havoc
12-28-2013, 04:16 AM

Go read up on sample size. It will be relevatory for you.

PlayNando
12-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Go read up on sample size. It will be relevatory for you.

:lol

Baam
12-28-2013, 04:58 AM
:lol

"good things happen when we move the ball" :lol

like Manu in game 6 :lol

jon123spurs
12-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Surprised no one spotted it. Our record is 23-7 not 22-8 tbh.

EVAY
12-28-2013, 12:44 PM
One of the things I have noticed about Parker vis-a-vis the team's focus is that last year he was the absolute floor general, and every game he was in someone's face forcing them to play as they were supposed to play. This year, his lack of energy is obvious to the casual observer, and I think that has spilled over into the rest of the team. Without him pushing and yelling at them, they seem to lose focus and not play as hard as they could.

I don't know if he (Parker) thinks that he and the team can turn a switch when the playoffs come or if he just doesn't have the feel for it this year that he did last year, but I think that our struggles are primarily the struggles of a team that is lacking a certain focus.

I am beginning to agree with someone herein (I can't remember who made the observation but I thought it was spot on) that we are really really missing Coach Bud. Pop has never been good about getting his team 'ready to lay it all out'. He has always said that these guys are professionals and they know what they need to do. Their actions, however, belie those sentiments, imo. The team really needs an emotional leader, and last year Tony was it. This year it doesn't seem to be anybody.

I have come to hope that Tony does get traded because I am so f***ing sick and tired of idiots in here pretending to know anything about basketball as a team sport and still spouting comments suggesting that the Spurs are a better team with anyone other than Parker at the helm for the long haul. The issue is that we need last year's Parker. This year's Parker does not have the energy or focus that he had and that he made everyone else have last year. That, to me, is the difference between this year's team performance and last year's.

Spur|n|Austin
12-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Also undefeated when Nando does not start.

PlayNando
12-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Also undefeated when Nando does not start.
Yes, we are. Perhaps it's a good thing that Nando isn't starting, yes?

Spur|n|Austin
12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Yes, we are. Perhaps it's a good thing that Nando isn't starting, yes?

Oui.

PlayNando
12-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Oui.
En effet.