PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle on Pop, "best of the best...greatest coach ever"

Kyuui-Musikq
12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20131227-rick-carlisle-on-gregg-popovich-i-think-hes-the-greatest-coach-ever.ece?ssimg=1267576

On Gregg Popovich:
“The league is one challenge after another after another. Pop has become a good friend of mine over the years. It’s obvious what he’s accomplished. I think everybody in our profession kind of view him as the guy. When you’re some place for 18 years straight, nobody has done that since Jerry Sloan, and Sloan was there for 21 or 22 years, and everybody said that will never be done again. It will all depend on how Pop wants to go. But he’s the best of the best in my opinion. I think he’s the greatest coach ever, mostly because he’s been able to do it with a system. He’s got great players, but he’s done with a system, and he’s adapted their personnel to his system, and he’s done it with so many different moving parts over the years. It’s just been a phenomenal accomplishment.”

ginobilized
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
It sounds like Carlisle could learn a thing or two about Pop from the haters on Spurstalk

Budkin
12-28-2013, 06:39 PM
We're going to be longing for these days once Pop leaves tbh

TheGoldStandard
12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20131227-rick-carlisle-on-gregg-popovich-i-think-hes-the-greatest-coach-ever.ece?ssimg=1267576

On Gregg Popovich:
“The league is one challenge after another after another. Pop has become a good friend of mine over the years. It’s obvious what he’s accomplished. I think everybody in our profession kind of view him as the guy. When you’re some place for 18 years straight, nobody has done that since Jerry Sloan, and Sloan was there for 21 or 22 years, and everybody said that will never be done again. It will all depend on how Pop wants to go. But he’s the best of the best in my opinion. I think he’s the greatest coach ever, mostly because he’s been able to do it with a system. He’s got great players, but he’s done with a system, and he’s adapted their personnel to his system, and he’s done it with so many different moving parts over the years. It’s just been a phenomenal accomplishment.”

I partially agree with this, Pop is a good coach at making so many different personalities work together and having a system that scrubby guys can actually contribute to on the court but he has had the great fortune of having Tim Duncan on that team who pretty much put everyone on notice that you don't screw with his team. Tony & Manu fell in line and they never cry to the media about minutes, about getting the ball etc they just do what they do. It does take work to make sure those scrubs they pick up to fill in the gaps are able to work within the flow of the team but a lot of that chemistry is built during the actual game.

r0drig0lac
12-28-2013, 06:41 PM
this is not new, but it does not make perfect

hooperflash
12-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Preach.

apalisoc_9
12-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Pop is no doubt the best coach in the league. His ability to bench superstars when he wants, and his ego is part of the reason why everyone is in check. If a player starts becoming the team, that's when coaches lose control of their players...There's a reason why players follow pop so easily. It is because he's the alpha male in the team..Not Tony, not manu, not Timmy..In a way of course it can be bad, see game 6 and overcoaching.

He's got flaws that no one would dare to talk about though

UZER
12-28-2013, 08:03 PM
I can seen him leaving in 2 years as to not remove Jerry Sloans name from that record since he has no rings.

Its part of Pops fake humbleness when he's the one who has never actually gotten over himself.

Bill_Brasky
12-28-2013, 08:14 PM
You never know what you have until its gone tbh. Gonna be a sad day when Pop decides he doesn't wanna coach anymore.

Captivus
12-28-2013, 08:22 PM
I beat that when Pop leaves, most of us will be like: I really like the rotations tonight...sadly...we didnt win...

LoneStarState'sPride
12-28-2013, 08:48 PM

I plan on weeping when he retires, tbh.

buujness
12-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Truer words have ne'er been spoken.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-28-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't even want to think about the Spurs in 2 years....

Pako
12-28-2013, 09:40 PM
With all the head scratching decision of Pop coaching, you can not undermind what he has done to Spurs. I myself thought Spurs are done 4 years ago but now I still have hope that they can still win title. He has alot of patience and faith to this team that he still hold on upto now..

BatManu20
12-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't even want to think about the Spurs in 2 years....

It's gonna be a blood bath.

dunkman
12-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Carlisle is quite a coach too, great compliment for Pop.

hitmantb
12-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Coaches who have won more championships all had vastly superior rosters. To have Pop's success with the Spurs small market roster is absolutely unreal.

Duncan hasn't been anywhere near his peak power for many years, yet Spurs even without a single dominant player have always been in the conversation, their luck just ran out in game 6.

james evans
12-29-2013, 01:32 AM
It's gonna be a blood bath.
u stick by your team. u stick by your fukin team. don't be like cavalier and laker fans. stick by your team when they are losing. don't run to a "backup team" until we start wining again. i've cheered for shitty teams all my life. my college team only have had about 6 winning seasons since i've been alive and i stuck by them. now we're rolling..and i see new faces at the games that woulnd't even dare watch us on tv when we were losing 20 years ago.. i hate bandwagoners. u stick by your team

heyheymymy
12-29-2013, 01:35 AM
RC is no slouch either. Plus he looks like Jim Carrey. Props all around

Cry Havoc
12-29-2013, 02:33 AM
u stick by your team. u stick by your fukin team. don't be like cavalier and laker fans. stick by your team when they are losing. don't run to a "backup team" until we start wining again. i've cheered for shitty teams all my life. my college team only have had about 6 winning seasons since i've been alive and i stuck by them. now we're rolling..and i see new faces at the games that woulnd't even dare watch us on tv when we were losing 20 years ago.. i hate bandwagoners. u stick by your team

Sticking by your team evidently only involves sticking to the idea of the team since you clearly have no loyalty to the players.

lefty
12-29-2013, 04:36 AM
Would Phil and Riley have benched Duncan at the end of game 6 ?

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-29-2013, 04:45 AM

None of them would have taken a team without a single superstar and with Danny Green and Gary Neal in the rotation anywhere near a finals game 6.

lefty
12-29-2013, 05:38 AM
None of them would have taken a team without a single superstar and with Danny Green and Gary Neal in the rotation anywhere near a finals game 6.
Yeah because Danny Green and Gary Neal were our 2 best players, thats a well known fact

Spur|n|Austin
12-29-2013, 06:45 AM

So you're saying you're not a pop sucker?

r0drig0lac
12-29-2013, 07:24 AM
true

Aremid
12-29-2013, 12:41 PM

Incorrect. Phil or Riley would be able to attract and handle a superstar on this team...the kind of "bad, unclassy, selfish" player pop goes out of his way to avoid. If Phil or pat coached Timmy he'd at least have six titles

exstatic
12-29-2013, 12:45 PM
Incorrect. Phil or Riley would be able to attract and handle a superstar on this team...the kind of "bad, unclassy, selfish" player pop goes out of his way to avoid. If Phil or pat coached Timmy he'd at least have six titles
Phil and Riley don't attract players, LA and Miami do.

Seventyniner
12-29-2013, 01:37 PM

If they're smart they would have.

spurs10
12-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Pop is a hell of a coach. As much as I can't stand Dallas, I think Carlisle is a class act. They are lucky to have him...

Johnny RIngo
12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Kinda ridiculous to call someone that's been out-coached by Avery Johnson the GOAT coach. Carlisle's being a little too nice here.

Thebesteva
12-29-2013, 06:18 PM
LOL pretending he's never heard of Phil Jackson

Jordanobili2320
12-29-2013, 07:10 PM

Would Phil and Riley miss two free throws to seal the game? Shut the fuck up and get over it. Anyone who watched the game knows blaming Pop makes zero sense...

Johnny RIngo
12-29-2013, 07:21 PM
LOL pretending he's never heard of Phil Jackson

Yep, embarrassing that he doesn't mention Phil...especially considering how often PJ has owned Pop.

UZER
12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Yep, embarrassing that he doesn't mention Phil...especially considering how often PJ has owned Pop.

Phil is the master of clever disses and back handed compliments. I have no sympathy for him.

Jwash_1986
12-29-2013, 09:31 PM
That interview doesn't have shit to do with any other coach but Pop. He's paying homage. He mentioned one other coach Sloan because he giving Coach Pop credit for being with one team, succeeding and using a effective system with players that fit into it. Probably why he ain't mention PJ is because he coached two teams. People love to hate when a player or coach gives someone from the Spurs props.

hitmantb
12-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Phil only won titles when he had most dominant players in the NBA, Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe, then Kobe+Twin Towers+Ron Artest (all at their primes).

Same for Riley, two hall of famers at/near their prime.

The 2012/2013 Spurs roster would be a first round exit in the hands of Phil. See Lakers 2006/2007.

Brunodf
12-29-2013, 11:55 PM
:lol Good one

Skull-1
12-29-2013, 11:56 PM
This place will be a wasteland when Pop retires. He isn't the reason for our success but he is a large part of it. Tim woulda' left years ago except for Pop and we know that. He is a great coach--not perfect, but definitely great... That can't be denied.

spurraider21
12-30-2013, 12:15 AM
the day that Duncan/Manu retire and Pop calls it quits is the day many members on this forum deserve

TampaDude
12-30-2013, 12:38 AM
I'll bet Pop and Timmy retire on the same day. It will be the end of an era. I may just cry.