PDA

View Full Version : Dajuan Wagner making a comeback... could he help us (purely hypotechnically)?

mute
12-28-2013, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnDi13bOOgk

There was a time that Dajuan Wagner was my second favorite player after Tim Duncan (before Manu and Parker came into the picture). I would love to see this guy in a Spurs uniform. He's the same age as Tony Parker, so I know he has a lot left in the tank.

Do you guys think he could possibly give us a spark off the bench? Ever since TJ Ford went down, we've yet to find a reliable point guard. For sure, Ford lacked the ideal size and scoring ability, but he could set up and run the offense.

Dajuan Wagner is a living legend, one of the greatest players to ever come out of New Jersey. He once scored 100 pts in a game. John Calipari, his coach at Memphis, actually revoked his scholarship because he didn't want Wagner to turn down the money he would have gotten as a first round pick.

Trust me, in his day, Wagner could do it all. He was one of the most explosive and quickest players. He was a scoring machine -- think Allen Iverson with the brute force of Russel Westbrook and that's Wagner.

This guy has the foot speed to match up defensively against the likes of a Reggie Jackson, an Eric Bledsoe, a Gordon Dragic (remember 2010?), a Patrick Beverely, and a Damien Lillard. His 3 pt. shot looks like it's gotten better from the new footage.

Sean Cagney
12-28-2013, 11:53 PM
No and we are not going to sign him so no.... Just no.

mute
12-29-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm not saying we should sign him and because he's a 10 yr+ vet, he'd at least get a 1.2 mill vet min. deal. I'm just saying that he's truly of the greatest "what if" stories. What if the Spurs had his rights and he never got injured? We may never know how his career might of turned out.

If I'm not mistaken, Duncan coulda played in the 2000 playoffs or was it 2001 but the front office shut him down (and he went on to have back to back MVP seasons). I'm sure the Spurs FO would have shut Wagner down because it got as serious as it did.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-29-2013, 12:05 AM
haha if he's in shape.. i wouldn't mind getting "scoring god"

ChumpDumper
12-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Mute troll is moot.

lefty
12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
holy shit I was thinking about him the other day, wondering what happened to him (he looked promising in Cleveland)

Sean Cagney
12-29-2013, 12:38 AM
holy shit I was thinking about him the other day, wondering what happened to him (he looked promising in Cleveland)Yeah he did but that was years ago. I forgot all about him until today.

PÒÓCH
12-29-2013, 03:02 AM
He's a chub he'll get hurt on the first long NBA trip. No just no

ThaBigFundamental21
12-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Wagner is a sad sad story, and I mean that in the most respectful way. I HATE seeing young guys careers get derailed who have a chance to be so damn good. It's literally sad to think about. I'm rooting for the guy, but I don't really see anyway he ends up in San Antonio. I think the Spurs have much bigger glaring needs, literally. I think Mills is good enough to hold down the backup PG spot tbh.

cd021
12-29-2013, 01:54 PM
That video looks like its from a rec league at the YMCA

szkorhetz
12-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Wagner is a sad sad story, and I mean that in the most respectful way. I HATE seeing young guys careers get derailed who have a chance to be so damn good. It's literally sad to think about. I'm rooting for the guy, but I don't really see anyway he ends up in San Antonio. I think the Spurs have much bigger glaring needs, literally. I think Mills is good enough to hold down the backup PG spot tbh.
What happened to him?

RD2191
12-29-2013, 02:02 PM
:lmaoWorst highlight vid of all time. He looks old, slow, and fat. Wtf are you thinking?

Darius McCrary
12-30-2013, 01:04 AM
He was hyped as a stronger Iverson, but never once in his NBA career displayed anything resembling quickness or athleticism.

He was a grade A bust.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-30-2013, 01:21 AM
What happened to him?

Injuries, and just some bad luck. He had some colon problem. Had his colon removed. Some disease? Honestly I don't know a lot about it, but he went on medication, the medication did nothing. So the next step was surgery to remove his colon. Pretty serious stuff. Then there was just basketball related injuries. He really fell off. He was supposed to be good, just like so many players before him. He wasn't the first, won't be the last. Best of luck to him.

mute
12-30-2013, 01:28 AM
He was hyped as a stronger Iverson, but never once in his NBA career displayed anything resembling quickness or athleticism.

He was a grade A bust.

he averaged more points than kobe did his rookie year. kobe didnt even break out really until 3 years into his career

Sean Cagney
12-30-2013, 01:31 AM
he averaged more points than kobe did his rookie year. kobe didnt even break out really until 3 years into his career

See that is great! Kobe seemed to break north though afterwards and this dude was nowhere to be found.

Sean Cagney
12-30-2013, 01:33 AM

See that is great! Kobe seemed to break north though afterwards and this dude was nowhere to be found. He shot .369 from the Field too in that rookie year while averaging over 13 a game, what is the point of saying this? Many rookies can do that while shooting 36% if they got enough touches even if they are bums. Kobe is a different demon here. Dejuan was horrible after that rookie year as well you fail to mention, what is your point mentioning Kobe here? This makes no sense at all.

mute
12-30-2013, 02:12 AM
See that is great! Kobe seemed to break north though afterwards and this dude was nowhere to be found. He shot .369 from the Field too in that rookie year while averaging over 13 a game, what is the point of saying this? Many rookies can do that while shooting 36% if they got enough touches even if they are bums. Kobe is a different demon here. Dejuan was horrible after that rookie year as well you fail to mention, what is your point mentioning Kobe here? This makes no sense at all.

That he could have been great if injuries didn't derail his career. He averaged 42 ppg in high school and once scored 100 pts in a guard. He was on his way to becoming one of the greatest players in the 2000s before injuries had other plan.

He's one of the biggest what if stories in basketball. What if he never got injured? What if he had a coach like Pop would have managed his minutes and preserved him? Duncan could have played in the 2000 playoffs and delay surgery, but Pop and the front office shut him down. What if Duncan (had he played) tore his ACL or further damaged his knee in 2000? Would the Spurs still be in San Antonio today?

td4mvp2k
12-30-2013, 02:24 AM
:tu couldnt be as bad as TP on D tbh

Sean Cagney
12-30-2013, 02:40 AM
That he could have been great if injuries didn't derail his career. He averaged 42 ppg in high school and once scored 100 pts in a guard. He was on his way to becoming one of the greatest players in the 2000s before injuries had other plan.

He's one of the biggest what if stories in basketball. What if he never got injured? What if he had a coach like Pop would have managed his minutes and preserved him? Duncan could have played in the 2000 playoffs and delay surgery, but Pop and the front office shut him down. What if Duncan (had he played) tore his ACL or further damaged his knee in 2000? Would the Spurs still be in San Antonio today?He shot 36% in his first year, could have been great? He shot alot and shot that low. Come on now. He could have been great if he had any kind of work ethic AT ALL! But it seemed he did not! He did not work on his game or improve after his rookie year, so who gives a shit about him now? I surely do not. If he had the right coach I agree! If he had Pop then I agree maybe! But he did not and has been outta the league for years, he is pretty much done. Why is this even a thread now? Just something you thought of overnight and posted it? Some of these threads should just be thought of at night when you are going to bed or drunk or whatever as your thoughts and not posted everyday when it is not near reality.

On his way to becoming one of the greatest players in the 2000's :lol:lol. HOW? He was shooting as I said 36% his rookie year! 13 PPG? He was not on his way to becoming shit. Are you serious half the time? A mediocre rookie year at best and one of the best of the 00's????? http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wagneda02.html Come on man.
:tu couldnt be as bad as TP on D tbh

Just wayyyyy worse on O though. Sign him for the minimum and let him stay in the D league like Decolo or Thomas etc.

ohmwrecker
12-31-2013, 11:04 AM
I would rather call up Josh Howard.

Josh810
12-31-2013, 12:27 PM
OP HAS to be Dajuan Wagner himself. Otherwise this makes no sense.

RD2191
12-31-2013, 01:14 PM
:lol

lmbebo
12-31-2013, 02:55 PM
pass

I. Hustle
12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
We had a fat DeJuan why not a fat Dajuan?

I. Hustle
12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
We'll need to play him at PF or C of course.

I. Hustle
12-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I think I played against him at Lifetime fitness. This might be the video