PDA

View Full Version : NBA Morning Shootaround: Parker not opposed to leaving Spurs one day

Dex
12-30-2013, 12:19 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/12/30/morning-shootaround-dec-30/#spurs

No. 1: Parker not opposed to leaving Spurs one day — Much like teammates Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, point guard Tony Parker seems destined to join that duo as a life-long Spur. But Parker, responding to an ESPN.com report that says the Knicks have interest in pursuing him once he becomes a free agent in 2015, isn’t so sure he’d stick with San Antonio no matter the cost. While Parker says staying with the Spurs is his top choice, he told the San Antonio Express-News‘ Jabari Young that he’s also open to testing the free-agent waters should things not work out as he hopes in San Antonio:

Tony Parker to the New York Knicks?

Unlikely, but Parker wouldn’t rule it out. In fact, he wouldn’t rule out going anywhere if certain circumstances aren’t in place.
A report last week by ESPN.com said the Knicks hope to target the All-Star point guard in 2015, when Parker is set to become a free agent. Told of the report, Parker smiled and said he hadn’t seen it, but is keeping all his options open.

Parker made it clear though, his first choice it to remain in San Antonio as long as he could.

“If I can yeah”, Parker told the San Antonio Express-News. “The history here, they always take care of the guys. They did it with [Tim Duncan] and Manu [Ginobili], so hopefully they take care of me. At the end of this year they have to guarantee my year after, so, technically, maybe, I’ll be a free agent this summer.”

The 31-year-old Parker, who is averaging 17.8 points and 6.0 assists this season, signed a four-year, $50 million extension in 2010. He is owed $25 million in the last two years of his contract, but the final year is partially guaranteed for $3.5 million if he is waived by June 30, 2014 and fully guaranteed for $12.5 million after that.

Said Parker: “I just don’t want a guarantee, I want an extension, too.”

Even if Parker remains in San Antonio for the final year, his decision to stay beyond 2014-15 will depend on his coach and teammates.
Who knows when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will hang it up, though it may not be too far away, and Duncan has a $10 million player option next season, which is the final year of his deal. Will he be around beyond that?

“I want to stay positive,” Parker said, “but if it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out. My wish is to stay here and play my whole career here, but if there is no more Pop or Timmy or Manu, I’m not against going somewhere. I’m not against that.”

Parker being targeted is nothing new, though, and he always expresses his desire to remain in San Antonio for the remainder of his career. But what if the Spurs and Parker don’t reach an extension, would Parker seek a trade?

“I don’t even think like that because I think Pop and [Spurs General Manger R.C. Buford] they always take care of their guys,” Parker responded. “They did it with Timmy and Manu, so I don’t see no reason why they’re not gonna do it with me.”

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Mikeanaro
12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
He always liked big marketed shit
“At the end of this year they have to guarantee my year after, so, technically, maybe, I’ll be a free agent this summer.”
I hope they´ll send his ass to the big apple, There is a new heroballer in town.

lefty
12-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Can he go like now?

DesignatedT
12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Can he go like now?

Can you go like now?

exstatic
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
“At the end of this year they have to guarantee my year after, so, technically, maybe, I’ll be a free agent this summer.”
I hope they´ll send his ass to the big apple, There is a new heroballer in town.
How terrible that a player who can probably help keep us at the 50 win level with the other pieces we'll have after Tim and Manu retire wants an extension....

exstatic
12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Can you go like now?

Mikeanaro
12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
How terrible that a player who can probably help keep us at the 50 win level with the other pieces we'll have after Tim and Manu retire wants an extension....
Who cares team will be good even without him, besides after those 2 are gone this will not be a championship team for a while, so there is no need to I´LL HAVE THE BALL 23 SECONDS IF I CANT SHOOT I´LL PASS AND IF THE MORON SCORES I WILL GET A FREE ASSIST mentality.

spurraider21
12-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't blame Parker for wanting out when Duncan/Manu/Pop call it quits. I hope he stays though. Would be amazing if the entire big 3 + pop actually play their full careers in one jersey

PlayNando
12-30-2013, 12:58 PM
fk this clown tbh!

houston spurs fan
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
There all gone when Duncan hangs it up. So will 85% of the viewers of this site.

RD2191
12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Don't worry guys, we got Nando.:hat

r0drig0lac
12-30-2013, 01:16 PM
LOL at people in favor of parker leave, do not seem to understand the culture of the spurs

TXstbobcat
12-30-2013, 01:31 PM
I can understand Parker wanting an extension. I hope the Spurs show loyalty to him and offer him an extension so he can retire as a Spur.

cd98
12-30-2013, 01:42 PM
We need Parker this year as we are not contenders without him (assuming we can finally beat a contender). But when Tim and Manu retire, then we for sure won't be contenders. So if things don't work out, and he leaves after that, I'm not upset at him. If we can trade him and get some value, that would be great. If he walks, that leaves us money to sign a younger player, great. Likewise, Tony has never played on an NBA team that wasn't considered a contender. Not sure he would want to stay around when we stink. Let him go to another team and continue to contend for titles through the rest of his career. I'd cheer for him as long as it isn't the Lakers or the Heat.

cjw
12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
LOL at people in favor of parker leave, do not seem to understand the culture of the spurs

No appreciation for one of only two PG in the league (if you can still call Billups a PG / in the league) with a finals MVP. This whole board would rather have had CP3 or DWill and their whining their way out of town three times by now.

ThePop
12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Parker won't finish his career here and that's fine, by then we won't be contenders.

Bambililos
12-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Parker wants to end his career with the Spurs, he said it multiple times. In fact, he never said otherwise. He admires Duncan and I think he would like to something like his heir in career.

I don't understand why all Spurs fans aren't happy that a multiple All-Star and a proved winner accepts less money and wishes openly to spend his whole career with the team.

exstatic
12-30-2013, 02:32 PM
My guess is that Tony would like to stay, and while SA will no longer be title contenders after Tim and Manu leave, if SA has the ability to field a playoff team for the duration of his contract extension, he'll sign.

exstatic
12-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Who cares team will be good even without him, besides after those 2 are gone this will not be a championship team for a while, so there is no need to I´LL HAVE THE BALL 23 SECONDS IF I CANT SHOOT I´LL PASS AND IF THE MORON SCORES I WILL GET A FREE ASSIST mentality.

The team will not make the playoffs without Tony when Tim and Manu leave. Period. End of story. With him, they might be around 50 wins. Without him, they'd struggle to win 35.

exstatic
12-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Also consider this: Tony and Boris are pretty much a package deal. If Tony is shown the door, chances are high that we lose one of the most versatile forwards in the league.

Leetonidas
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Parker wants to end his career with the Spurs, he said it multiple times. In fact, he never said otherwise. He admires Duncan and I think he would like to something like his heir in career.

I don't understand why all Spurs fans aren't happy that a multiple All-Star and a proved winner accepts less money and wishes openly to spend his whole career with the team.

Our fanbase is generally retarded tbh.

TheyCallMePro
12-30-2013, 02:46 PM
It's absolutely ridiculous that Parker is only making 12.5 million a year when John Wall, a freakin scrub, is making 16 million a year.

Parker has taken pay cuts his entire career. And he's been the best PG for the last decade. It's about time the Spurs take care of him. He's just letting them know. And he should.

Proxy
12-30-2013, 02:49 PM
it would be nice if he and Pop stayed a bit longer with Kawhi. Who knows... maybe Bertans works out well and the team remains a force.

If he decides to leave, I'd still root for his success elsewhere. And yeah, Boris coming to the team with TP has been fantastic.

TXstbobcat
12-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I feel like the Spurs are going to take care of him and give him an extension.

AFBlue
12-30-2013, 03:44 PM

That Parker-to-NYC thing is old and tired. Tony had s chance to bolt already, but he ended up signing a below-market deal that he's already exceeded.

This is just him negotiating to get an extension, which he really wants. It's what he deserves and what he'll likely get.

Beaverfuzz
12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
In two years, I'd most likely be fine with Parker leaving and trying again somewhere else. This team will eventually be blown up in one form or another as this isn't the National Wheel Chair League.

CitizenDwayne
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Obviously, Spurs should do whatever possible to keep Parker, but I'm not really sure why he would have said this. Nothing positive can come from it. Kind of a douche move, imo

HI-FI
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Can he go like now?

this.

EVAY
12-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Before Tim Duncan signed his first post-rookie contract he not only talked about leaving the Spurs, but he interviewed with Doc Rivers in Orlando and was half-way out the door before Rivers told him that Amy would NOT be able to accompany him on road trips, as she was able to do with the Spurs. He stayed and everyone was happy.

Before David Robinson signed his final contract as a Spur, he definitely let it be known that while he hoped to finish his career as a Spur, he wanted more money than the front office was offering him, and he was definitely considering other teams.

This is the business aspect of contract negotiations. Tony has taken less money for the last few years in order to stay with this group, as has Tim. Anyone who thinks that this shouldn't be happening is seriously naive about contract negotiations.

We will be lucky if Parker stays. If he doesn't, he will have given this team his best years and it will be to move to a big market team somewhere where he will make beaucoup bucks.

Sometimes I hope he will leave just to show the asshats around here who seem to think that the team would be better with Nando de Colo playing first string point guard would be exposed for the idiots they are. If it were not for Tony Parker, Nando de Colo would not be in the NBA and if it weren't for Parker Boris Diaw would no be a Spur.

Bruno
12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't think there will have an issue.

Parker is very well aware of the business/GM side of the NBA. If Spurs still want to compete after Manu/Duncan, Parker will stay. If Spurs want to rebuild, Parker will got to another team without some kind of hard feelings from Spurs and Parker.

Seventyniner
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Is an extension limited to a certain raise size? If so, Parker's bargain deal is even better.

ThaBigFundamental21
12-30-2013, 05:06 PM
He cannot really be blamed for leaving once the 2 players and the coach he has has spent his whole career with call it quits. That's life. If he wants to go sooner, that's the Spurs business. If it makes sense for both sides then so be it...

bigfan
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Sports are a business. I would love for Tony to stay but I wouldn't blame him for going where he can get the best deal. He has given SA more than enough tbh.

TDomination
12-30-2013, 05:19 PM
He said multiple times he wants to stay.

I think it will be up to the Spurs if we want to keep him or not. Like someone said if we want to continue being competitive after Duncan/Manu retire, you keep Parker.

Parker, Green, Leonard, PF, Splitter with a decent bench can get you a lot of wins. Also with Manu and Duncan, we will obviously have the money to lure a superstar to this team to play with Parker.

timtonymanu
12-30-2013, 06:28 PM
If Parker decides to leave after Tim/Manu/Pop retire, then I see no hard feelings.

I've been giving Parker a lot of shit lately, but he's shown throughout his career how loyal he is to the franchise despite the idiotic belief from Spurs fans that he wants to be in the spotlight.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2013, 07:03 PM

ATLEAST HE DOESN'T PASS IT TO WADE AND LEBRON LIKE SOME OLD ARGENTINIAN

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
If Parker decides to leave after Tim/Manu/Pop retire, then I see no hard feelings.

I've been giving Parker a lot of shit lately, but he's shown throughout his career how loyal he is to the franchise despite the idiotic belief from Spurs fans that he wants to be in the spotlight.

Agreed 100% A bunch of Manutards in this website

Mikeanaro
12-30-2013, 07:15 PM
ATLEAST HE DOESN'T PASS IT TO WADE AND LEBRON LIKE SOME OLD ARGENTINIAN
No, I said it 900 times, Manu gave the #5 to Brona, but Porky was 6/26 so he was another POS that night, and game 7 was fucking lame, when Spurs face hard teams, bad matchups whatever Porky drives to the basket 1000 times to get blocked and cockslapped in the face like OKC series, or the Memphis series where Manu did everything possible and then some more with a broken arm, this Porky bitch cant even run and we are not even in January.

TheGreatYacht
12-30-2013, 07:19 PM
No, I said it 900 times, Manu gave the #5 to Brona, but Porky was 6/26 so he was another POS that night, and game 7 was fucking lame, when Spurs face hard teams, bad matchups whatever Porky drives to the basket 1000 times to get blocked and cockslapped in the face like OKC series, or the Memphis series where Manu did everything possible and then some more with a broken arm, this Porky bitch cant even run and we are not even in January.

10/10 for "Porky bitch" lol

Jordanobili2320
12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
10/10 for "Porky bitch" lol

what is wrong with you? half this thread is your dumb shit…painful to read tbh.

r0drig0lac
12-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I just wish that timmy is in the front office when his career ends. I believe this will give chance to all stars arrive at Spurs

ginobili fan
12-30-2013, 07:56 PM
TP will leave It's 100 % sure

Blizzardwizard
12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
If he leaves, he leaves. We'll have All-star point guard Nando by that point anyway :hat

PlayNando
12-30-2013, 11:14 PM
If he leaves, he leaves. We'll have All-star point guard Nando by that point anyway :hat
:tu

PlayNando
12-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Parker = Anti-Semitic Hero. The sooner he is gone, the better, tbh.

apalisoc_9
12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
I know I've been hating on the guy but TP has a few sustainable strengths that would him valuable for the spurs in the future.

spurs10
12-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Everything he said makes perfect sense.

rastaspur
12-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Lol at playnando.

Sigz
12-31-2013, 12:10 AM
He should just retire and live a nice healthy life.

Chinook
12-31-2013, 12:22 AM
An extension is a poor idea for both parties. They should wait until 2015 to see if there's a way for the Spurs to bring in enough talent to compete. It's possible that him taking a little less money would allow the team to bring in Love or Aldridge. If they fail, they can give Parker a big deal or let him walk. An extension removes flexibility for both parties.

Skull-1
12-31-2013, 12:23 AM

Knifed by Mr. Hollywood again. And he wonders why he has never been a fan favorite here....

Skull-1
12-31-2013, 12:25 AM
fk this clown tbh!

+1 tbqh, fwiw.

Chinook
12-31-2013, 12:27 AM
Is an extension limited to a certain raise size? If so, Parker's bargain deal is even better.

Yes. Only 7.5 percent. However, Tony could only sign a two-year extension this season and a three-year one next. It makes sense for him to wait unless he thinks he'll fall off a cliff soon.

PlayNando
12-31-2013, 12:31 AM
He should just retire and live a nice healthy life.
How can one live a healthy life when their basement is filled with Nazi paraphernalia, tbh?

weeks
12-31-2013, 12:40 AM
I won't have any hard feelings if Parker wants to go elsewhere. I always feel vaguely bad for the stars who play in SA, they never get their fucking media due, or the acclaim they truly deserve.

Think of all the millions the big three have lost by staying in SA.

I don't feel that bad, though. They're always well aware that SA is a great basketball destination if you want to seriously contend, and they have their priorities straight.

Parker is the best Spur right now and pretty much the only real star we have left. Despite the ending, I'll never forget Tony's step back 3 in game 6, and then another 2 points right after that.
We lose Pop and Timmy, then Manu and Parker....dark times in San Antone.

Kidd K
12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Wouldn't be upset if he leaves and I'm completely not upset by the comments.

Parker has been a "value player" for us for most of his career, playing for far less money than he could've been getting elsewhere. If some large market team gives him a massive payday to play as an old vet, so be it. He deserves the cash imo. He's already won 3 titles with us, and him sticking around after Duncan retires won't get us another one before he's gone too, so it's not really hurting us much.

I'm cool with it if he goes for all those reasons.

timmy2003
12-31-2013, 02:23 AM
We won't be contenders for years after Timmy's retirement. So it doesn't matter.

KL2
12-31-2013, 02:32 AM
Let him walk, PG's don't win championships PERIOD, big men and forwards do.

It's pretty obvious he wants to play in NY, whenever he plays against the Knicks or even BK he brings his A game every time.

Only way he stays in SA is if he gets the max, and it'd have to be over many years for security. Main reason he's in SA is because he wants to win and he's young, he'll be looking to cash out with NY when TD retires.

HI-FI
12-31-2013, 03:14 AM
as others have mentioned, I'm actually okay with his comments. Not a big fan of Parker but he's been part of the Spurs greatness and if he feels he can make more money in NY, that's totally fine with me. Both him and Spurs need to do whats best for both of their long term interests, he'll still get his jersey retired etc... If we plan on rebuilding post Duncan, no reason wasting whatever Heroballin he's got left.

Also, this gif never gets old
http://i.imgur.com/4Aqlukh.gif

Sean Cagney
12-31-2013, 03:42 AM
There all gone when Duncan hangs it up. So will 85% of the viewers of this site.

I am thinking you are about 85% correct here sir............ This might be the realest post EVER...
We won't be contenders for years after Timmy's retirement. So it doesn't matter.

SAD BUT TRUE! Those will be our dark ages as fans! I will still be a fan no doubt but it will not be the same.

PlayNando
12-31-2013, 04:57 AM
Let him walk, PG's don't win championships PERIOD, big men and forwards do.

It's pretty obvious he wants to play in NY, whenever he plays against the Knicks or even BK he brings his A game every time.

Only way he stays in SA is if he gets the max, and it'd have to be over many years for security. Main reason he's in SA is because he wants to win and he's young, he'll be looking to cash out with NY when TD retires.

Tony isn't young. He's probably 5 years from retirement, tbh.

Spursfanfromafar
12-31-2013, 05:30 AM
There aren't too many PGs out there who could replace TP even when he is 32 next year. If I was RCB, I would hand over a decent extension to TP next year. How about $39 million for 3 years (what Manu got before this current extension)? Probably backloaded, if need be?

Getting a FA in 2015 would be more easier if TP is on board and around, rather than any other way, methinks.

sventhedog
12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
There aren't too many PGs out there who could replace TP even when he is 32 next year. If I was RCB, I would hand over a decent extension to TP next year. How about $39 million for 3 years (what Manu got before this current extension)? Probably backloaded, if need be?

Getting a FA in 2015 would be more easier if TP is on board and around, rather than any other way, methinks.

yes but after duncan and manu retires. spurs would tank and get the next lebron james. then you can amnesty parker if you wish.

Skull-1
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
How can one live a healthy life when their basement is filled with Nazi paraphernalia, tbh?

:lmao 10/10

Skull-1
12-31-2013, 10:22 AM

He has a lot of mileage. Dude won't have five more good years I bet...

CGD
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
It would be kind of foolish not to trade TP for assets once TD, Manu, and Pop leave. Tony knows that and needs to look out for himself. I wouldn't blame him for leaving, nor would I have hard feelings given all the great stuff he's done for the franchise.

superbigtime
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Tony deserves the $.

Expert
12-31-2013, 01:15 PM
its funny how so many here have a slave like mentality. The organization makes hundreds of millions off of these guys and you act like you have been slighted because one of them wants to have a future somewhere not just go day to day. I don't blame Tony for putting that out there. It needs to get the conversation going in the front office whether or not they are serious about him. He has every right to do whatever the hell he wants.

Expert
12-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Tony deserves the $.
I don't think he deserves a lot of money. I think he's getting paid about right for what he does. He would be much better off in a place like Miami, Los Angeles, or New York. He would be a really good fit in Miami.

TheGoldStandard
12-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Spurs will keep Parker, legacy and all that, they'll chase a FA in 2015 and hopefully it's a SF or PF who we can build around

TXstbobcat
12-31-2013, 01:26 PM
The people that want Parker gone seem to ignore the fact that big name free agents never sign with the Spurs.

TheGoldStandard
12-31-2013, 01:29 PM
The Knicks will trade Beno straight up for parker

Perry Mason
12-31-2013, 02:16 PM
its funny how so many here have a slave like mentality. The organization makes hundreds of millions off of these guys and you act like you have been slighted because one of them wants to have a future somewhere not just go day to day. I don't blame Tony for putting that out there. It needs to get the conversation going in the front office whether or not they are serious about him. He has every right to do whatever the hell he wants.

It's funnier how you are so commercially ignorant. I guarantee that there is no, I mean no, NBA team that makes "hundreds of millions" in profit except the Knicks over a period of several years. Many in fact operate at a loss for long stretches.

Per Forbes, the Spurs might make $10 to $15 million a year in operating income. Which any accountant would know is higher than net profit because it excludes interest and taxes. I'm sure the Spurs organization has significant interest expense given the leverage the frugal ownership group would need to acquire and maintain the capital required for NBA-level facilities.

Given that the Spurs ownership group has provided such a successful and valuable product to an entire region of millions of people, and has attracted interest worldwide, despite being the least-heeled owners in the NBA, I'm ok with them keeping the modest surplus their business creates annually.

marbles1991
12-31-2013, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't blame him if he leaves if Pop retires. Clearly he would stay and try to make something happen with Kawhi and Splitter if Pop is still around. We probably will be a playoff team as long as Pop is around, regardless of the talent surrounding TP/Kawhi/Splitter.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-31-2013, 04:32 PM
The Spurs aren't blowing it up once Duncan and Gino leave. They'll build around Parker and Leonard, and they'll do a fine job at it.

TheGoldStandard
12-31-2013, 04:33 PM
The Spurs will make the playoffs even when Pop leaves, it'll be up to RC or whoever is in the FO to at least field a decent team. Spurs will probably linger at 6 or 7 maybe even 8 seed but still in.

CGD
12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
The Spurs will make the playoffs even when Pop leaves, it'll be up to RC or whoever is in the FO to at least field a decent team. Spurs will probably linger at 6 or 7 maybe even 8 seed but still in.

Im only OK with the Spurs lingering in the 6-9 seed range if the NBA moves to the alternative draft structure. I don't want the spurs to be one of those teams meddling in mediocre city for years like the Jazz of the last 15 years. If the NBA doesn't move to a system that incentivizes trying to win/improve, the Spurs need to suck for a few years to get better through the draft. If that means moving Tony I'm fine with it.

hater
12-31-2013, 05:51 PM
:lmao Spurs will never let Parker go

Parker will retire a Spur UNLESS Parker asks the Spurs for a trade himself.

this is Parker's team and we go as far as he takes us.

timmy2003
12-31-2013, 09:00 PM

Exactly. His ability will surely decline in a couple seasons

Kool Bob Love
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Vet min or Parker can kick rocks.

timmy2003
12-31-2013, 09:06 PM
He has a lot of mileage. Dude won't have five more good years I bet...
Agree. Plus his game still heavily relies on speed.

timmy2003
12-31-2013, 09:10 PM
The Spurs aren't blowing it up once Duncan and Gino leave. They'll build around Parker and Leonard, and they'll do a fine job at it.
Parker will be 33 by the time Timmy retires. We better build around some 21-25 year olds with star potential

james evans
12-31-2013, 09:37 PM
i agree. people are already handing in their 2 year notice in threads talking about it. bandwagon mfs i tell ya..

exstatic
12-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Parker will be 33 by the time Timmy retires. We better build around some 21-25 year olds with star potential

Yes, because that's so easy.

Skull-1
01-01-2014, 01:07 PM

:lmao Making millions = Day to Day :lmao

Skull-1
01-01-2014, 01:10 PM

:toast

Skull-1
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes, because that's so easy.

And you propose building around an elitist, aging star with questionable loyalties instead? Good luck with that.

exstatic
01-01-2014, 01:33 PM
And you propose building around an elitist, aging star with questionable loyalties instead? Good luck with that.

I propose riding a multiple time selection for All NBA player into the ground before we slip into the Dark Ages. I'd rather have 3-5 more playoff years before that shit stops for a half decade, or more.

mingus
01-01-2014, 02:11 PM
My guess is Parker gets his extension but demands a trade at some point after Duncan and Ginobili retire (assuming they are in fact on their last contracts and assuming we don't magically acquire the player(s) to contend shortly after they do.

Players a lot of the time get their cake and eat it. They get their extension and then demand and get traded. But maybe Parker will gut it out here and stick with a team that will probably only be a fringe playoff team. Though with as stacked as the West is and probably will continue to be I'm not so sure they'll even be a playoff team sans Duncan & Manu.

james evans
01-01-2014, 03:46 PM
well let him go. he tried this bullshit a few years ago in the off season throwing hints about wanting to leave when he thought we would never see the finals again. i just never liked his game. i like all he has done for the organization, but stupid ass people that DON'T watch spurs game buy into the hype of the 2007 finals. tim duncan was just being a good teammate and letting him eat. kobe would never let anyone dominate their man on HIS team. shit, he didn't even pass the ball to shaq in 2004 when he was shooting 60%. and parker was out there killing guys like gibson and pavlovic that any of us that can hit a jumper or take their man off the dribble could have got at least 15 per game against. that 2007 series overrated him. then he started believing his own hype and trying to prove to espn that he was better than williams, paul, and other top pgs while these guys were setting up their big men and tim duncan was fighting life and death just to get a basket on his own. parker has never made anyone's life easy when he has the ball.

DMC
01-01-2014, 08:22 PM
well let him go. he tried this bullshit a few years ago in the off season throwing hints about wanting to leave when he thought we would never see the finals again. i just never liked his game. i like all he has done for the organization, but stupid ass people that DON'T watch spurs game buy into the hype of the 2007 finals. tim duncan was just being a good teammate and letting him eat. kobe would never let anyone dominate their man on HIS team. shit, he didn't even pass the ball to shaq in 2004 when he was shooting 60%. and parker was out there killing guys like gibson and pavlovic that any of us that can hit a jumper or take their man off the dribble could have got at least 15 per game against. that 2007 series overrated him. then he started believing his own hype and trying to prove to espn that he was better than williams, paul, and other top pgs while these guys were setting up their big men and tim duncan was fighting life and death just to get a basket on his own. parker has never made anyone's life easy when he has the ball.

You mean those other PGs who are 0 and forever? Those?

Skull-1
01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
You mean those other PGs who are 0 and forever? Those?

No, those that are "0-For-Tim".

TheGoldStandard
01-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Parker will he resigned and he will get a fair deal albeit less than he would get elsewhere but he has always taken less than he would make to play in San Antonio. He will sign a 3 year extention and retire a spur.

james evans
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
well obviously the likes of tyson chandler, omeka okafur, kenyon martin, and carlos boozer are better than tim duncan. right?

DMC
01-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Tim has 4 rings. He's been in the league what, 15 years or so? That's 11 other years where teams won rings. Norris Cole has 2 rings. Rondo has a ring. CP3 had the freedom of choice of where he signed, and he ended up in a hype up monkeyballing system instead of going to play for a legitimate contender. Don't you think the Spurs would have accepted Chris Paul? I get the salary thing, but Tony isn't making 22 million a year, never has.

Tony makes 12.5m this year. CP3 makes 18+ million. Next year CP3 makes over 20 million. They choose money over success. Can't blame that on Tim.

james evans
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
so do u actually think parker is better than chris paul?

DMC
01-01-2014, 09:19 PM
so do u actually think parker is better than chris paul?

I think it's Parker 3 Paul 0

Which one is trying to get to where the other is? There's your answer.

DMC
01-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Playoffs Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=parketo01&p2=paulch01#stats_playoffs::none) · ?

Player
G
W
L
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Tony Parker (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html)

Chris Paul (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html)

Regular Season Glossary · SHARE · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=parketo01&p2=paulch01#stats::none) · ?

Player
G
W
L
GS
MP
FG
FGA
FG%
3P
3PA
3P%
FT
FTA
FT%
ORB
DRB
TRB
AST
STL
BLK
TOV
PF
PTS

Tony Parker (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parketo01.html)

Chris Paul (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paulch01.html)

james evans
01-01-2014, 10:00 PM

no that's not what i asked. with the roles reversed, does tony parker lead tyson chandler and the hornets to 3 titles? btw, parker has 3 rings to john stockton's 0, isiah thomas' 2, gary payton's 1, and oscar roberton's 1. is he better than those guys too? just a simple yes or no will do. also, i don't know how posting stats is helping your argument:lol. parker had the more superior team, but chris paul shit a better percentage, had more assists, steals, and rebounds in their playoff matchups. is that helping or hurting your argument? i just want to know what u are thinking haha

Mikeanaro
01-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I think Derek Fisher has 5 rings and is lame and fatty

TheGoldStandard
01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I think Parker is better than Chris Paul offensively and about the same defensively. Parker fits Pop's system better and if in a bigger market would be treated to a higher degree thus getting to the line more and hype.

james evans
01-01-2014, 10:09 PM
parker's defense is not only ass but it's like he doesn't even want to play it. so many times during games he's leaving his man at the 3 point line wide open as his head is where only he knows. and once his man catches the ball, he has to run back on him 8 to 10 feet away only to have a 3 point shot hit on him. chris paul isn't gary payton defensively, but he's for damn sure better than parker. offensively, paul can score, he just chooses not to be that guy unless he has to. the spurs are my team obviously, but i'm not fool.

DMC
01-01-2014, 10:15 PM
no that's not what i asked. with the roles reversed, does tony parker lead tyson chandler and the hornets to 3 titles? btw, parker has 3 rings to john stockton's 0, isiah thomas' 2, gary payton's 1, and oscar roberton's 1. is he better than those guys too? just a simple yes or no will do. also, i don't know how posting stats is helping your argument:lol. parker had the more superior team, but chris paul shit a better percentage, had more assists, steals, and rebounds in their playoff matchups. is that helping or hurting your argument? i just want to know what u are thinking haha

You cannot reverse the roles without changing the player. Chris Paul doesn't want to play for smaller market team. He doesn't value championships over salary. You cannot just make that decision for him and assume the results.

Tony, on the other hand, has done just that. Don't you think Tony could command that salary from some team willing to overpay him? Absolutely. He's got 3 rings and a Finals MVP because he didn't.

That's not negotiable. A players greatness isn't necessarily defined by his abilities, but by his results.

james evans
01-01-2014, 10:52 PM
You cannot reverse the roles without changing the player. Chris Paul doesn't want to play for smaller market team. He doesn't value championships over salary. You cannot just make that decision for him and assume the results.

Tony, on the other hand, has done just that. Don't you think Tony could command that salary from some team willing to overpay him? Absolutely. He's got 3 rings and a Finals MVP because he didn't.

That's not negotiable. A players greatness isn't necessarily defined by his abilities, but by his results.
at the end of it all, YOU NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!!! hahaha. do u feel parker is better than paul?

PlayNando
01-02-2014, 04:00 AM

Okay...

Fisher 5 Parker 3

:lol

Fisher = GOAT PG

Fisher > Hero

romain.star
01-02-2014, 06:12 AM
TP will leave It's 100 % sure

Ah? Ok.

While you're at it, can you also tell us who will be signed by the Spurs in the upcoming years?

romain.star
01-02-2014, 06:16 AM

Paul, Stockton, Thomas, Payton and Robertson are all better PG than Parker. What is your point now?

DMC
01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Okay...

Fisher 5 Parker 3

Fisher = GOAT PG

Fisher > Hero

There are no heroes in sports. Fisher maximized his abilities. If you think scoring points is more important than winning championships, you should be a CP3 fan.

PlayNando
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
There are no heroes in sports. Fisher maximized his abilities. If you think scoring points is more important than winning championships, you should be a CP3 fan.
So you think Derek Fisher is a better PG than Parker?

timmy2003
01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
at the end of it all, YOU NEVER ANSWERED THE QUESTION!!!! hahaha. do u feel parker is better than paul?

They are very different players. Parker just fits in Spurs system so well.

james evans
01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
They are very different players. Parker just fits in Spurs system so well.
so do u feel the spurs would be worse with a pass first pg?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM

yes

EVAY
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM

Anyone who has been a Spurs fan during Popovich's tenure as coach HAS to answer yes to that question!!

Pop is on record as saying that when Tony came to the Spurs He (Pop) drew a line and at one end of the line he put Avery Johnson (pass first pg) and at the other end he put John Stockton (scoring pg). He specifically told Tony "I want you to be right in the middle of those two".

Pop has specifically and purposely trained Tony to be EXACTLY the kind of point guard he is...both scoring and passing, because that is the kind of point guard that Pop wants to make Pop's offensive scheme work.

It never fails to amaze me how much people try to assess Parker's fitness as a point guard without taking into account the coach who trained him from the age of 19 to fit precisely into the offense that said Coach has put together to maximize the team's success.

And since the Spurs are the most successful sports franchise in the America over the last ten years, it is the height of arrogance to suggest that they would be better off with a point guard who is not the one that Pop molded into exactly what Pop wanted.

PlayNando
01-02-2014, 02:36 PM
The problem is that Tony The Hero is more of a scoring PG than Stockton could have ever dreamed of being. The Hero doesn't even dream of trying to get others involved. If it weren't for Pop bugging him, the clown probably wouldn't pass the basketball more than a handful of times all season, tbh!

will_spurs
01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Can you go like now?

will_spurs
01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Paul, Stockton, Thomas, Payton and Robertson are all better PG than Parker. What is your point now?

Thomas and Big-O, ok. Or Magic.

Paul, dubious. Paul showed he couldn't get anywhere in the playoffs, even with a decent team.

Stockton, dubious. He was as much a system guy as Parker. And he had his flaws. Assisting is nice, but can be one-dimensional too.

EVAY
01-02-2014, 03:07 PM
The problem is that Tony The Hero is more of a scoring PG than Stockton could have ever dreamed of being. The Hero doesn't even dream of trying to get others involved. If it weren't for Pop bugging him, the clown probably wouldn't pass the basketball more than a handful of times all season, tbh!

The problem with your analysis is that Pop gets EXACTLY what he wants from his pg or he wouldn't be his point guard. Do you honestly imagine that for all of the screaming and abuse that Pop heaped on Tony for the first five years Tony was in the league that Tony does ANYTHING that Pop doesn't want him to do?

Why do you fail to understand that Tony is sent into the lane time and again to take shots (whether he makes them or not) because that is what Pop wants him to do because by doing it Tony opens up other shooters, either on the perimeter (the three point shooters get sat down immediately if they don't take the shots when they get them) or at the elbow (Tim). Why is it that you seem unable to understand that the Spurs' offense is, by design, essentially a two person offense and a supporting cast of perimeter players. This is a Tim and Tony offense. Has been for about five years now.

Tony is so much more willing to put his body on the line in the lane than most pgs are because that is what Pop tells him to do. Why don't you get that at this point?

romain.star
01-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Go watch some France NT games (where there is no Pop bugging) before saying such non senses

Diego20
01-03-2014, 11:05 AM

CP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TP (and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this season)

Diego20
01-03-2014, 11:06 AM

This :toast

DMC
01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
CP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TP (and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> this season)

Useless if CP3 would rather throw lobs than win a LOB.

Brazil
01-03-2014, 11:13 AM
:lol at the thread title, so Parker has an interview saying he wants an extension and stay with the spurs but because it's a business will play for another team if Spurs don't want to extend him (same stuff that manu said last year btw) and thread title is Parker not opposed to leave :lol

Dex
01-03-2014, 12:28 PM
:lol at the thread title, so Parker has an interview saying he wants an extension and stay with the spurs but because it's a business will play for another team if Spurs don't want to extend him (same stuff that manu said last year btw) and thread title is Parker not opposed to leave :lol

:stirpot: I just used the same headline as the article. :stirpot:

tholdren
01-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Also consider this: Tony and Boris are pretty much a package deal. If Tony is shown the door, chances are high that we lose one of the most versatile forwards in the league.

Boris Diaw? If we rely on him and Tony to be the face of the franchise then it will be back to the pre-David era...

Brazil
01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
:stirpot: I just used the same headline as the article. :stirpot:

same interview in France and title was: "Parker wants an extension with the Spurs"

Brazil
01-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Boris Diaw? If we rely on him and Tony to be the face of the franchise then it will be back to the pre-David era...

:lol what do you expect ? lbj ?

lefty
01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
Can he go now?

tholdren
01-03-2014, 01:59 PM
:lol what do you expect ? lbj ?

ha, no, but my point was who cares about Diaw, or Tony for that matter? We all know that Tony cant lead the team to a title as the number one.

I wouldnt even want Lebron, we want guys with class.

dbreiden83080
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
He'll play at best 3 years somewhere else before he retires IMO so he basically will be a Spur for life..

dbreiden83080
01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Can he go now?

And be replaced with who?

Brazil
01-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I wouldnt even want Lebron, we want guys with class.

Brazil
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Seriously tho, if Spurs after Tim and Pop retire want to rebuild properly best bet would be to tank tbh, if Spurs were another franchise they would extend TP and try to trade him for picks later

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Trolls are going to troll

Brazil
01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Trolls are going to troll

that's some weak trolling game... :cry I wouldn't want lbj cauz he is not enough classy :cry