PDA

View Full Version : So the amnesty deadline is now Aug. 15th?

grjr
07-31-2005, 08:36 PM
This was in the ESPN article about Joe Johnson being traded to the Hawks:

Dallas is expected to waive Finley via the new "amnesty clause" that gives teams a one-time opportunity to release a player without paying any further luxury tax on his contract, unless the Mavericks can trade Finley to an Eastern Conference team before the Aug. 15 deadline for using the amnesty

I hadn't seen this Aug. 15th date mentioned anywhere else. It's always been Sep. 30th. Is this official now?

It kinda affects us because of Michael Finley. If the date had stayed Sep. 30th teams would have no incentive to waive a player before that date. That could have put us in limbo with GRob while waiting to see what happens with Finley. This way by the middle of Aug. it will be clear if Finley will be available or not.

I'd rather have Big Dog anyways so this might speed up the process and keep him from sniffing around other teams too much.

By the way, personally I think unless Finley does get traded somewhere he will still be a Mav next season. I can't see Cuban paying him all that money per year just to watch him go to another team and help them beat the Mavs in the playoffs. It would have to just kill him to sign Finley's check every time. :lol

TexasAggie2005
07-31-2005, 08:40 PM
This was in the ESPN article about Joe Johnson being traded to the Hawks:

I hadn't seen this Aug. 15th date mentioned anywhere else. It's always been Sep. 30th. Is this official now?

It kinda affects us because of Michael Finley. If the date had stayed Sep. 30th teams would have no incentive to waive a player before that date. That could have put us in limbo with GRob while waiting to see what happens with Finley. This way by the middle of Aug. it will be clear if Finley will be available or not.

I'd rather have Big Dog anyways so this might speed up the process and keep him from sniffing around other teams too much.

By the way, personally I think unless Finley does get traded somewhere he will still be a Mav next season. I can't see Cuban paying him all that money per year just to watch him go to another team and help them beat the Mavs in the playoffs. It would have to just kill him to sign Finley's check every time. :lol

It got moved up because of player union demands, I think. The players didn't want to be in limbo that long.

And I don't think there's any way we're getting Finley. I don't even know if I want him. But Cuban's definitely cutting him (if he can't trade him), and then he's probably signing with Phoenix cheap, possibly Chicago. More likely Phoenix now that Johnson's gone.

Mr. Body
07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure Finley helps the Spurs at all, either. Much rather go back with B.Dogg. Fills a position better, too.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
By the way, personally I think unless Finley does get traded somewhere he will still be a Mav next season. I can't see Cuban paying him all that money per year just to watch him go to another team and help them beat the Mavs in the playoffs. It would have to just kill him to sign Finley's check every time.
Do you even understand what the amnesty is? Finley is due $51M over the next three years from Dallas, but will cost Cuban $102M with LuxTax payments. I think Cuban would watch Finley play for another team, or his mom do someone other than his dad if he could save $51M. Finley is GONE, whether they find a trading partner or cut him.

greywheel
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Do you even understand what the amnesty is? Finley is due $51M over the next three years from Dallas, but will cost Cuban $102M with LuxTax payments. I think Cuban would watch Finley play for another team, or his mom do someone other than his dad if he could save $51M. Finley is GONE, whether they find a trading partner or cut him.

You forget you are talking about a billionaire who is super competitive. Besides I live in the Dallas area and the radio stations are saying just what the previous poster iterated. Cuban is afraid to see Finley walk because of the chance of him landing in Phoenix, Houston or San Antonio. He would much prefer to trade him to a team in the East and will be trying everything to move him there before August 15th. Then there is still no guarantee he will be released.

50 cent
08-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Finley will definitely be released via the amnesty clause. Cuban is dreaming if he thinks he can trade him with that contract. In fact, Cuban is counting on trading Finley's K for an expiring K if he really wants to save the tax payments, which just isn't going to happen.

Finley will be a Phoenix Sun next year in my opinion.

BillsCarnage
08-01-2005, 12:06 PM
IMO, THIS is the best sig picture on this board.

http://img.freeforumzone.it/upload/389930_Mediapickle_Presents_linseylohantiityclap.g if