PDA

View Full Version : Nets leave court early in embarrassing end to blowout loss to Spurs

Dex
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
http://nba.si.com/2014/01/01/brooklyn-nets-leave-court-early-jason-kidd-san-antonio-spurs/

In an embarrassing end to a 113-92 blowout loss to the Spurs on Tuesday, members of the Nets simply walked off the court and headed to the locker room even though there was 0.2 seconds remaining in the game. Their absence delayed the game long enough that coach Jason Kidd was forced to call a timeout so that five Brooklyn players could be rounded up, allowing for a legal inbounding of the basketball to officially end the game.

The bizarre scene unfolded with San Antonio beginning its final possession with 24.2 seconds remaining in the game. Given that the result was well in hand – San Antonio held a 30-point lead entering the fourth quarter — the Spurs did the right thing etiquette-wise by by allowing the 24-second clock to run out and taking a turnover rather than launching an unsportsmanlike final shot. Players from both teams shook hands on the court during the game’s closing seconds and the final buzzer sounded, but the referees immediately signaled for Brooklyn to inbound the ball in front of their bench.

The only problem: virtually the entire Nets roster, including players that were in the game and those that were on the bench during the closing minutes, was already well off the court and not looking back. Without five players, Brooklyn couldn’t inbound the ball and the game was stuck. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich could only smirk as the scene unfolded, and Kidd was captured on camera with a confused, glazed look on his face as he chatted with one of the officials.

As the delay continued, both the AT&T Center crowd and the Fox Sports Southwest television broadcasting crew grew restless, and Kidd was eventually forced to take a timeout. Finally, Andrei Kirilenko emerged from the locker room to help end the nightmare, and Mason Plumlee took on inbounding duties, allowing the game to (finally) end once the ball was touched.

The loss dropped Brooklyn to 10-21 on the season and it was Nets’ sixth defeat in their last seven games. Writers covering the team saw some symbolism in Brooklyn’s early exit, and the post-game quotes that followed were predictably discouraging.

From Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News…

The year ended fittingly for the Nets: They were confused and dysfunctional, symbolically quitting on another blowout defeat. With 0.2 seconds left after a shot-clock violation, most of the Nets left the court for the locker room believing the game was over. Coach Jason Kidd had to use a timeout just to get five players on the court and finish Tuesday night’s 113-92 blowout to the Spurs, while the crowd in San Antonio booed Brooklyn’s predicament.

Happy New Year!

“It’s embarrassing. I don’t know if I’ve ever been part of this many blowouts in one season already,” Paul Pierce said.

From Tim Bontemps of the New York Post…

To add insult to injury, the Nets left the court with 0.2 seconds remaining after the clock operator initially thought the game was over and sounded the final horn, forcing Kidd to eventually call a timeout to get enough players out onto the court to throw the ball in and mercifully end the game.

“They thought the game was over,” Kidd said. “There was no confusion. They thought the game was over, but unfortunately there was 0.2 seconds left.”

From Daniel Savitzy of TheBrooklynGame…

The Nets tonight could not even bother to drag their sorry a—- out of the tunnel to finish the final 0.2 seconds of the game. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce seem disinterested, Deron Williams doesn’t seem to care, and what’s left is a smorgasbord of players who’d like to play but just can’t carry a team without the primary players. This is a bleak team with a bleak outlook.

San Antonio improved to 25-7 with the win.

Jas:loln Kidd. This is turning out to be even more entertaining than paying for our Basketball Reasons.

RD2191
01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
The Nets have too much talent to be this bad. They must hate Kidd or something.

AchillesHeel
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Nets' talent is overrated.

They lost their best player (Brook Lopez) to a season-ending injury, KG and Pierce are done. D-Will is good but not great. Joe Johnson is a decent SG but he gets paid 2-3 times as much as he's really worth.

Shaun Livingston is getting 20+ minutes a game. That is another problem.

Not to mention that they have a rookie coach, who has no idea how to manage "talent" and actually coach during the games. He might be a great all-time PG and he might understand the game better than most coaches, but he's just not fit to coach an aging roster with expectations.

Coaches don't become great overnight, they need experience. That's why rookie coaches usually coach rebuilding teams where they learn how to use and develop young talent. Nets would have been much better with Brad Stevens, who at least has college level experience.

Hoops Czar
01-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I watched the whole thing unfold on the YES network. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as this article makes it sound.

cjw
01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I watched the whole thing unfold on the YES network. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as this article makes it sound.

You mean you were calling the game on YES, not watching...

The one thing the Nets do have is one of the best broadcast crews in the league.

eyeh8u
01-02-2014, 02:15 PM
They were just in a rush to meet up with Danny Green at the Gentleman's Club

PlayNando
01-02-2014, 02:31 PM
They were just in a rush to meet up with Danny Green at the Gentleman's Club
Truth bomb.

exstatic
01-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Oh, of course. It's another team. If it were the Spurs, you'd be ripping them a new asshole.

Putz.

rwb
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
I read about this before I actually saw it thinking it was going to be in some way dramatic, but to be honest, when the shot clock ran down Bill and Sean were also saying, "Game's over." I think the booing was directed more toward the officials insisting on playing out .02 seconds than the Nets. Why wouldn't they want to hit the showers as fast as they could? Even Pop was laughing over the dumbness of the situation.

Hoops Czar
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Oh, of course. It's another team. If it were the Spurs, you'd be ripping them a new asshole.

Putz.

It's no big deal because the players thought the game was over. The buzzer sounded and the players walked off. If you choose to make a deal about a non-story, that's your perogative. I would be tearing the Spurs a new one for getting blown out at home by the lowly nets but not for something as trivial as walking off the court (which they were) with .2 left on the clock,

Ayres homer.

exstatic
01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
It's no big deal because the players thought the game was over. The buzzer sounded and the players walked off. If you choose to make a deal about a non-story, that's your perogative. I would be tearing the Spurs a new one for getting blown out at home by the lowly nets but not for something as trivial as walking off the court (which they were) with .2 left on the clock,

Ayres homer.
It's as simple as looking up to see if the shot clock is on. How hard is that? If it's running, the possession will end before the game will.

rascal
01-02-2014, 07:21 PM
It's as simple as looking up to see if the shot clock is on. How hard is that? If it's running, the possession will end before the game will.

You are a big homer.

01-02-2014, 07:22 PM
The buzzer sounded, so it's not a surprise that they figured the game was over. The officials even had to reset the clock, just make them come in bound the ball. They should have just let it go, it's not like it was a close game.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
The Nets have too much talent to be this bad. They must hate Kidd or something.

DING, DING, DING, exactly my thoughts bro. It just doesn't make sense, way too many good players, even if some of them are old. Then again, it's Jason Kidd, the guy is an egotistical prick, there is something wrong with that guy...

hsxvvd
01-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Jason Kidd is a disaster. There's a difference between being "clever" on the court, and "smart" as a coach.

skulls138
01-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Personally I am shocked that the Jason Kidd hiring isnt working out. Just shocked. I mean when they got rid of Carlesimo, a coach that had them actually winning, and hired Kidd, I was like "this owner really knows what he's doing".

rwb
01-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Personally I am shocked that the Jason Kidd hiring isnt working out. Just shocked. I mean when they got rid of Carlesimo, a coach that had them actually winning, and hired Kidd, I was like "this owner really knows what he's doing".

:rollin

Exactly. And can you imagine how little respect his players give him as a VERY recent former competitor? He looked so lost out there during the game. I can picture him after they finally win a game going to the team on his knees, asking meekly, "Please sirs...May I have another?"

DJR210
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
LMAO Nets. What are they, average age of 43?

cjw
01-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Even if he's one of the most overpaid guys in the league, nobody is better at closing out games than Joe Johnson