PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this?

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Spurs trade Rasho to Atlanta for Al Harrington.

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2005, 10:22 PM
No. A good 7 foot center for an undersized 6'9 PF-SF with attitude problems? Nope not at all. I'd take Childress over Harrington in a trade like this. They would have to throw in a second rounder as well.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Only as a last resort. It would be strictly a cap dump move. Harrington doesn't work here, and it's just a question of minimizing the damage he could do in one year. They could always cut him, a la Ron Mercer..

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:24 PM
No. A good 7 foot center for an undersized 6'9 PF-SF with attitude problems?

He's an undersized SF?

exstatic
07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
He's a "tweener". I think the "undersized" was referring to his PF half.

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:27 PM
He's a "tweener". I think the "undersized" was referring to his PF half.

Why would the Spurs play him at PF?

There's no need to.

He plays like a SF, he's 6'9, long, he fits that role.

He can shoot.

What's not to like.

Get Bowen to teach him how to become a rash and we'd have our replacement.

beirmeistr
07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
No. A good 7 foot center for an undersized 6'9 PF-SF with attitude problems? Nope not at all. I'd take Childress over Harrington in a trade like this. They would have to throw in a second rounder as well.
midget,
Who are those people in your sig? famous fighters?

midgetonadonkey
07-31-2005, 10:31 PM
midget,
Who are those people in your sig? famous fighters?

The one on the left is Hunter S. Thompson and the one on the right is Oscar "Zeta" Acosta, A.K.A. Dr. Gonzo. They are writers I'm into.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 10:31 PM
Why would the Spurs play him at PF?

There's no need to.

He plays like a SF, he's 6'9, long, he fits that role.

He can shoot.

What's not to like.

Get Bowen to teach him how to become a rash and we'd have our replacement.

He's 6'9" 250, so he's a bit porky to play the 3. Why play him at the 4? He's a post scorer, that's why. We have that role filled. He's also NOT a shooter, at least not from beyond the arc where we need our wings to shoot from, being a 24%er for his career.

lordswing
07-31-2005, 10:32 PM

As usual, Spurs fans who want their dream team and that 82-0 record. Childress and the Smiths shouldn't even be mentioned in a trade unless it's for a proven star. Stop trying to make the Hawks your goddamn feeder team.

beirmeistr
07-31-2005, 10:34 PM
The one on the left is Hunter S. Thompson and the one on the right is Oscar "Zeta" Acosta, A.K.A. Dr. Gonzo. They are writers I'm into.
thanks for the info.

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:37 PM
He's 6'9" 250, so he's a bit porky to play the 3.

Porky?

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/largepics/alharrington.jpg
http://www.basket-plus.com/images/NBA/NBA%202004-05/Stojakovic_vs_Harrington.jpg
http://taiwan.nba.com/gallery/i/small_3468.jpg
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/2005/02/26/v022610A.jpg

Doesn't look porky to me.

Glenn Robinson is 6'7 and 240 pounds.

Al is a slasher, someone who could create his own shot.

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Tony/Beno/Barret
Manu/Barry/Brown or Sanders
Bruce/Harrington/Big Dog
Tim/Horry
Nazr/Oberto

That's a deep deep team with great offensive punch.

Solid D
07-31-2005, 10:44 PM
As usual, Spurs fans who want their dream team and that 82-0 record. Childress and the Smiths shouldn't even be mentioned in a trade unless it's for a proven star.

The question in this thread, though, is would you do a trade of Rasho for Harrington. Would you?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Didn't we already have this discussion?

Solid D
07-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Didn't we already have this discussion?

Yes.

TheWriter
07-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Yes.

Rasho for Al? Really?

If so, I apologize.

lordswing
07-31-2005, 10:50 PM
The question in this thread, though, is would you do a trade of Rasho for Harrington. Would you?

Yes, I would. There's no denying that Al is the odd man out. It means the Hawks would have more growing pains with Marvin having to contribute right away instead of backing-up Al, but in the long run, I think success for the Hawks will be achieved quicker if this deal is pulled off (Marvin matures sooner with more playing time). Now, if only Billy Knight can keep that team together for a good 4 or 5 years, I like the Hawks chances to compete.

Solid D
07-31-2005, 10:51 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22014&page=1&highlight=Harrington

Kori Ellis
07-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Rasho for Al? Really?

If so, I apologize.

Some of the talk was Rasho/Scola for Harrington/? but here's 3 threads that talk about it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20632&highlight=rasho+harrington

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22014&highlight=rasho+harrington

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22155&highlight=scola+harrington

MI21
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Harrington is best suited as a focal point of a bench unit, much like when he was with Indiana. He can come in for 25 minutes a night and give 11/5 on a good FG% every game. That is what his role in this league should be because he gets to play against lesser talented PF/SF which means his size isn't a big disadvantage. He is to slow to defend starting 3's, and to small to defend starting 4's. Off the bench that problem isn't so great.

If the Spurs needed some scoring punch off the bench he would be a good pickup, but with an assortment of players consisting of Barry, Horry, Beno, Rasho/Nazr, Oberto plus perhaps Glenn Robinson and or Devin Brown, there is absolutely no room for Harrington to flourish here in San Antonio. I think he would fit in well with a team like Milwaukee or perhaps Minnesota or some team like that, where he can come off the bench and have the green ligh whenever he is on the floor.

exstatic
07-31-2005, 10:53 PM
The difference is that Big Dog IS, in fact a shooter, and Harrington is NOT. While Glenn is known for his sweet textbook mid range jumper, he's also servicable beyond the arc at 34% for his career. I can see the Spurs doing the Harrington deal, but ONLY as a salary dump. He's not a fit here. If he weren't so well know for his pissy attitude, he might be salvagable, but I think he's another Mercer, too far gone.

Mr. Body
08-01-2005, 12:26 AM
ex is right here- the true value is a salary dump, since it's unlikely he'd resign with San Antonio. It'd wipe Rasho's salary clean off the books and might give them an interesting piece for a year. I'm into getting Robinson back more. Also, as always, they'd never get rid of Rasho without caging up Nazr.

Gummi
08-01-2005, 01:33 AM
I would rather re-sign Glenn Robinson for two years then trading for Harrington. Robinson has said that he's OK with comming off the bench but Harrington left the Pacers because he couldn't get into the starting lineup. Harrington ins't comming here for 15 minutes a night. He's young, talented, and very capable of playing a big role on a decent team.

Glenn fits right into our plans, short term contract and ready to contribute off the bench. We don't need a starting SF right now.

T Park
08-01-2005, 03:23 AM
only problem with this.

Harrington wouldn't start, AND, he demanded to be traded from Indiana if he didn't start.

Do your homework instead of just stealing ideas...

timvp
08-01-2005, 04:24 AM
No.

picnroll
08-01-2005, 04:44 AM
If that were the only deal available for Rasho and if not trading Rasho meant not retaining Nazr, then yes. Only reason why though.

timvp
08-01-2005, 04:52 AM
If that were the only deal available for Rasho and if not trading Rasho meant not retaining Nazr, then yes. Only reason why though.

True, I guess.

BronxCowboy
08-01-2005, 06:03 AM

Still no. Guess I'm in the "rather have Rasho than Nazr" camp. Besides, if we trade away Rasho and Nazr gets big minutes at C this year, he is going to cost more than I believe the Spurs will shell out come next summer. Rasho is already signed up. But beyond all that, I really don't think Harrington would be good for the team. Not sure I would trade Massenburg for him, let alone Rasho.

wildbill2u
08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I went to the Hawks website a few weeks ago to scout out their 3s for possible trades. One of the main stories was about Harrington and how he thought he figured into the Hawks plans as their 'go to' guy on offense for the coming year.

Whether this perception is correct or not, I doubt he'd be happy coming to the Spurs for another seat on the bench. That's why he forced his way out of Indiana and into a trade.