PDA

View Full Version : Did Pop learn absolutely nothing from Game 6 last year?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Why the hell was there no Duncan for defensive purposes at the end of the game?

He sure as hell wouldn't have allowed Shumpert to get that stupid tip in.

Terrible terrible strategy.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
01-02-2014, 11:10 PM
don't even want to talk about it. so annoying

RD2191
01-02-2014, 11:11 PM
:wakeup

testies
01-02-2014, 11:11 PM
true but belli didn't box him out

SpursRock20
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM
I noticed he wasn't in before the play began and already knew that if there was a miss, we wouldn't have a great shot of getting the rebound. The game was tied for crying out loud, it's not like the Knicks were looking to shoot a 3 or run the pick and roll. Duncan would have definitely been useful in that last defensive stand. Pop just trying to continue to justify his actions.

timtonymanu
01-02-2014, 11:12 PM
If Pop gets asked this question, he'll ask the reporter to be fired or he'll try to be cute and respond with a stupid sarcastic remark.

HI-FI
01-02-2014, 11:15 PM
If Pop gets asked this question, he'll ask the reporter to be fired or he'll try to be cute and respond with a stupid sarcastic remark.

this.

I hope stubbornness isn't related to alcohol or dementia. He doesn't seem senile in interviews, maybe it's just old age.

Budkin
01-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Oh, they're about to ask it.

Kool Bob Love
01-02-2014, 11:17 PM
:depressed

Chinook
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Duncan being in would not have prevented Beli from not boxing out Shumpert. But this wasn't the same issue as Six. It made all the sense in the world to bench Tim then. It wasn't nearly as clear-cut this time.

SpursRock20
01-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Duncan being in would not have prevented Beli from not boxing out Shumpert. But this wasn't the same issue as Six. It made all the sense in the world to bench Tim then. It wasn't nearly as clear-cut this time.
True. But I believe a 7 footer below the rim would make it quite a bit more difficult to get that put-back in.

Budkin
01-02-2014, 11:44 PM
And FYI Pop will never admit that was a mistake.

freetiago
01-02-2014, 11:44 PM
pretty much all Spurs close loses or wins have been the result of failing to secure defensive rebounds
the last one was the game vs Golden State
Spurs fluked out a win but they missed the defensive rebound which led to a Curry 3 to tie the game
this time its a Shumpert tip in

TheGoldStandard
01-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Pop said the defense was bad, lol.. you're responsible for the lineups out there and the defensive play calling.

Brutalis
01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
So I check the score and about threw up. Is this some kind of sick nightmare? This season is a fucking wrap.

Chinook
01-02-2014, 11:51 PM
True. But I believe a 7 footer below the rim would make it quite a bit more difficult to get that put-back in.

Disagree. That ball hit glass really high. Duncan would not have even touched it.

SpursRock20
01-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Disagree. That ball hit glass really high. Duncan would not have even touched it.
We'll agree to disagree then.

TheGoldStandard
01-02-2014, 11:54 PM

I think Duncan's presence under the rim would have helped the situation though.. Bigs have a way of creating that kind of space around the rim because of the potential over the back call..

Chinook
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
I think Duncan's presence under the rim would have helped the situation though.. Bigs have a way of creating that kind of space around the rim because of the potential over the back call..

We're not talking Duncan versus Beli, though. We're talking Duncan versus Diaw. So Tim would have been exactly where Boris was, boxing out Chandler away from the ball. Replacing Beli with Green on that play would have made a larger impact, because Danny is actually really good at boxing out.

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 12:01 AM
We're not talking Duncan versus Beli, though. We're talking Duncan versus Diaw. So Tim would have been exactly where Boris was, boxing out Chandler away from the ball. Replacing Beli with Green on that play would have made a larger impact, because Danny is actually really good at boxing out.

That is to say if Danny was there in place of Beli. Danny has been screwing up defensively all season long.. I'd rather roll with Timmy than Diaw, he's still very timid and tentative from time to time.. doesn't establish himself.

T Park
01-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Link to where this has happened in the past or before? Thanks.

Chinook
01-03-2014, 12:07 AM
That is to say if Danny was there in place of Beli. Danny has been screwing up defensively all season long.. I'd rather roll with Timmy than Diaw, he's still very timid and tentative from time to time.. doesn't establish himself.

Danny actually played pretty good D tonight outside of that Shumpert three. He defended Melo during the comeback.

timtonymanu
Link to where this has happened in the past or before? Thanks.

Oh look, its the occasional T Park appearance.

All you're missing is a

:cry this site is nothing like the good old days.
:cry I hate Spurs fans.
:cry I quit on the Spurs in 05 and wasn't man enough to own up to it.

timtonymanu
EDIT

phxspurfan
01-03-2014, 12:09 AM
http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/calendar/images/january_03.gif

Sean Cagney
01-03-2014, 12:13 AM
And FYI Pop will never admit that was a mistake.

THIS! He is a stubborn old bastard and as you said NEVER will admit his wrong doings.

chazley
01-03-2014, 12:20 AM
The panic is so stupid. We lost to one of the worst teams in the league that played like their life depended on winning this game.

CHILL OUT. Does anyone think the Thunder suddenly are bad because they lost to the Nets? Doubt it.

TheGoldStandard
01-03-2014, 12:22 AM
The panic is so stupid. We lost to one of the worst teams in the league that played like their life depended on winning this game.

CHILL OUT. Does anyone think the Thunder suddenly are bad because they lost to the Nets? Doubt it.

Not cliff jumping but OKC has a built in excuse right now missing a key component to their team.

justinandimcool
01-03-2014, 12:49 AM
We suck. Lower your expectations. Sure Pop made a mistake, but no coaching decision would cover the fact that the Spurs are not a good defensive team and they are individually slumping (Kawhi, Green, Parker).

Kool Bob Love
01-03-2014, 12:55 AM
:bang

Brunodf
01-03-2014, 02:04 AM
:rolleyesShocking

Arcadian
01-03-2014, 03:39 AM
Meanwhile, Miami lost also and has as many losses as the Spurs, but in the Leastern conference. :lol

KaiRMD1
01-03-2014, 03:48 AM
I miss Bud .......

boutons_deux
01-03-2014, 05:48 AM
Tim had really shitty game on both ends, back to early November. He didn't seem to give a shit.

Captivus
01-03-2014, 07:56 AM
The point is, the Spurs lost a game they should have won. Who's fault is it? I dont know, is not my job to know. What Im sure is, someone made a mistake.

weeks
01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
this is the first game we lost that we should have won. basketball being basketball, it was bound to happen sooner or later. i'm not reading too much into it.

but there are real problems with this team that aren't magically going away in april. i know it's hard to judge a team based on the regular season (remember how we ended last year? total clusterfuck, i was half expecting the lakers to push us to the brink) but there are troubling signs and they aren't getting better.

we haven't really won any meaningful game this season with the exception of GSW

DMC
01-03-2014, 09:14 AM

This is true. Shumpert went way up to get to that and he timed it perfectly. It was a beautiful put back, well controlled almost like a tip drill. Knicks shot really well and played inspired basketball. Didn't look like the same Knicks squad. It's amazing how well a team can play if they want to.

Blackjack
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
The Spurs have been the best defensive rebounding team for what's probably been over a decade because, as Pop has always said, defense doesn't end until the rebound is secured.

Securing that rebound has largely been because of Duncan/Robinson, two of the greatest rebounders in the history of basketball, patrolling the paint.

They didn't always get the rebound personally, but they distort the game - draw attention and provide lanes for wings to come in and secure it when they are unable.

Pop's supposed to be one to play the percentages and stay the course. And he didn't get 4 rings by taking his best defensive players and rebounders out of late-game, defensive-stand situations.

Old School 44
01-03-2014, 10:15 AM
The Spurs have been the best defensive rebounding team for what's probably been over a decade because, as Pop has always said, defense doesn't end until the rebound is secured.

Securing that rebound has largely been because of Duncan/Robinson, two of the greatest rebounders in the history of basketball, patrolling the paint.

They didn't always get the rebound personally, but they distort the game - draw attention and provide lanes for wings to come in and secure it when they are unable.

Pop's supposed to be one to play the percentages and stay the course. And he didn't get 4 rings by taking his best defensive players and rebounders out of late-game, defensive-stand situations.

Perfectly said!

Those 5 on the court were doing so well the last few minutes of the game, why change it?
Put it this way, if Pop left Duncan on the court and Shumpert still got the tip, would we be saying, "Damn, why didn't he put in Diaw to have a better chance to secure that rebound?" Sometimes I think Pop over coaches.

cd021
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM
The point is, the Spurs lost a game they should have won. Who's fault is it? I dont know, is not my job to know. What Im sure is, someone made a mistake.

It was Leonard. Missed 3 of his 6 4th quarter free throws and a w-i-d-e open 3 pointer late in the game.

DMC
01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
It was Leonard. Missed 3 of his 6 4th quarter free throws and a w-i-d-e open 3 pointer late in the game.

If you want to point to a pivotal spot in the game, look at Manu chucking up those quick threes with 8 minutes left, down 3 points, trying to heroball the Spurs back into the game. He did that maybe 3 times in a row, didn't set up the offense, just ran down and hurled a 3 with no one else back. If that's the new green light, Pop knows we cannot score in the half court set. We gave that up. We stopped penetrating and getting to the line for about 5 minutes before Leonard came back into the game and attacked the paint twice and got to the line twice. Otherwise it was Patty ball of long, missed 3s and long rebounds and no stops at the other end.

timmy2003
01-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Our D has been pretty shitty recently

TheGreatYacht
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Pop doesn't believe in adjustments. Only thing he thinks about is what alcohol should he drink before games

gnsf0946
01-03-2014, 05:37 PM
If he were to change it now he would be admitting that he made a mistake in game 6 and he's too proud, stubborn, egoistic to do that.

Skull-1
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
So I check the score and about threw up. Is this some kind of sick nightmare? This season is a fucking wrap.

Skull-1
01-03-2014, 07:09 PM
If you want to point to a pivotal spot in the game, look at Manu chucking up those quick threes with 8 minutes left, down 3 points, trying to heroball the Spurs back into the game. He did that maybe 3 times in a row, didn't set up the offense, just ran down and hurled a 3 with no one else back. If that's the new green light, Pop knows we cannot score in the half court set. We gave that up. We stopped penetrating and getting to the line for about 5 minutes before Leonard came back into the game and attacked the paint twice and got to the line twice. Otherwise it was Patty ball of long, missed 3s and long rebounds and no stops at the other end.

THIS! No disputing it. His decision making was braindead awful!

NASpurs
01-07-2014, 10:24 PM
:lmao Pop

TheGreatYacht
01-07-2014, 10:26 PM
ALCOHOLICS DONT HAVE GREAT MEMORY

testies
01-07-2014, 10:32 PM
blame the players once you retards

Seventyniner
01-07-2014, 10:52 PM
blame the players once you retards

Won't happen. You can't fire the players.

Chinook
01-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Um it WAS the players' faults for turning it over so much to end regulation.